Puppy temperament?

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Puppy temperament?

Post by akaye531 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

What were your Tams like as puppies? Mowgli has typical puppy energy bursts and is especially active around other dogs, but as a whole he's pretty calm and will play nicely with his toys on his own. Is this common for a tamaskan puppy? Can I expect him to have more energy or less energy as he gets older?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Puppy temperament?

Post by Katlin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Wylie is younger so I can't tell you what he'll be like when he gets bigger BUT I can comment on him puppy 'tude. He's very very energetic and will constantly rip around the house at top speed. For every 2-3 hours of play he will sleep for about an hour (thank goodness hahaha :roll: ). Wylie will throw his own toys around and chase after them but he loves to play tug with Sam and sometimes my mom's yorkie Snoopy. He's also fairly dominant and will try to hump all dogs and cats alike. He humped me once but I gave him heck so he's never done it since :lol: . I find he's fairly destructive with stuffed toys depending on the texture. If it's canvas he'll chew on it, but not rip it. If it's plushy, he'll suck on it for a while then rip it apart and play with the stuffing. He seems to really enjoy Nylabones and seems to take great pleasure in "throwing them" at Sam, myself, the couch, or the wall.

We walk for about 3 kms a day which doesn't come close to wearing him out. How far do you take Mowgli?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 am

When Sam was a puppy he would tear around the house, jump up onto the sofa and up the back. He was a nippy puppy and getting through the puppy stage required a different mentality on how you dealt with things (all the usual "how to stop puppy doing..." didn't work).
No non-durable toy lasted longer than half hour, only his pink ball and kong has survived... I had several, various pairs of shoes for various occasions... I ended up with a pair of trainers that really shouldn't have been worn out doors. Items of clothing, peep toe socks, kitchen utensils, pyrex jug (open plan house sux).... He was a very lucky puppy in the sense everything he ate passed through (huge chunks of leather can't have been comfy tho). One thing he has never bothered with is wires... Only chewed 2 and they were dangling in front of him.
He has always liked to throw his toys prompting me to get contents insurance for accidental damage...
He has howled and cried when alone since 9 weeks old, he is now 2...

We went for all day walkies but it wasn't continuous walking... There was a lot of carrying, curb sitting and odd looks from passing people. He only walked 5 mins per month until he was 1

Now Sam is older, the only thing that has changed is chewing stuff while i'm home (he would chew anything left out while alone), the length of walks and how hard he throws his toys...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 am

Sounds like my boy is a little more tame than Wylie and Sam. When we first got him we thought it was a maniac, but I think that was mostly because Shakespeare is so calm you hardly even notice he's there. He has calmed down a bit now but still has little bursts of energy. He likes to thow his toys around as well, and also loves to tug. He's pretty strong already - gives me a run for my money.
TerriHolt wrote:When Sam was a puppy he would tear around the house, jump up onto the sofa and up the back.
Mowgli used to do this too! He was a nut a couple of months ago. He also jumped on and over the coffee table. He tried to chew on anything and everything, but after taking him to puppy class he's learned "off" pretty well. To him, "off" means get off furniture, get your paws off of me, drop whatever is in your mouth, etc. He's pretty good about it!

He's not so bad with stuffed toys. He loves to squeak them over and over (and OVER) again, and if he finds a tag (or remnants of a tag) he'll chew on that. Toys that Shakespeare has already destroyed he'll go at, but he just takes the fluff out - doesn't consume any of it.

Katlin wrote:He's also fairly dominant and will try to hump all dogs and cats alike. He humped me once but I gave him heck so he's never done it since :lol:
I can't tell how dominant Mowgli is. The only dog Mowgli will hump is Shakespeare. Shakes is pretty mellow, and just doesn't put him in his place. I wish he would grow a backbone - not a habit I'd like Mowgli to continue. When he plays at the park it seems pretty even handed, but he sometimes will play rough with dogs that clearly aren't into it. I can pretty easily distract him from that though and get him to chase me around instead.
Katlin wrote:How far do you take Mowgli?
We take him at least 1 mi per day (3-4 short walks), some days close to 2 mi when we throw a longer walk in the mix. We take him to the dog park for 20-30 minutes about twice a week, and try to get some off lead time in on the weekends. We also only feed him out of the Kong wobbler, so that uses some of his energy. We always ask him to wait before he goes to town on the wobbler, but the other morning I put it down without saying anything then ran down to the basement to grab something from the dryer. When I got back up he was just sitting there, waiting for me to say "ok." I couldn't believe it!!! :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 am

As a puppy my Zephyr was very mellow in the house and easily entertained him self with his toys as long as I was in sight. He did occasionally have bursts where he would run up and down the hall and up the couch and around. At a little over a year and a half Zephyr still is mister mellow in the house and can go for a one mile walk a day or a ten miles sled run, he isn't picky. As a pup he only did 5 minutes of walking on the lead for every month he was a year old. The rest of his energy was burnt by making him think during 15 minute training sessions a few times a day.

sedawn
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sedawn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello my name is sedawn. My husband recently got a tamaskan, about a month ago. Well he was skittish then & is still. He's getting little better. I was wondering if some are like this & if he will grow out of it? :?:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 pm

If he got the puppy from a registered Tamaskan breeder (if they're not registered, they not selling real Tamaskan dogs but fake look alikes), then the pup should of been socialized enough not to be skittish. :(
I do not know of any Tamaskan puppies to start out this way, hopefully with lots of training he will grow out of it. Is he skittish with just strangers or everyone including family?

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Do any of you Tamaskan owners also have cats that you had to socialize with your puppy when you got it? I've had experience socializing lab/aussie mixes with our cats before, but are Tams any different due to the higher possibility of prey drive?
-Crystal

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm

darazan wrote:Do any of you Tamaskan owners also have cats that you had to socialize with your puppy when you got it? I've had experience socializing lab/aussie mixes with our cats before, but are Tams any different due to the higher possibility of prey drive?
When we first got Ulric, we did not have any cats. When we did get them, he just wanted to cuddle with them, would only chase them when they ran. Zelda grew up with them and is much calmer with around them, but learned to chase them when they ran as well (I think the cats have made it to a game now).

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm

sedawn wrote:Hello my name is sedawn. My husband recently got a tamaskan, about a month ago. Well he was skittish then & is still. He's getting little better. I was wondering if some are like this & if he will grow out of it? :?:
Is the puppy from Right Puppy Kennel by any chance? Other owners of their puppies have reported them being skittish upon arrival.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Puppy temperament? Kona

Post by firleymj » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

OK, he's only been with me a week, but some quick observations

He whined a little at my lovebird, and growled at my male tortoise (who promptly voided on his nose :lol: )

He found three new dog friends, especially a young yorkie and they played together wonderfully.

We have twice walked through a flock of geese and he was more scared of their hissing and honking than they were of him.

And the local rabbit population need not fear, he's passed at least a three at close range (less than 6 feet) with just a look up at me and kept walking.

The only animal that seemed to make him want to give chase was a squirrel and he was kind of halfhearted when it bolted up a tree

He's met about two dozen new people and licked almost everybody! (Tracy, Ben, quit laughing - he's running trie to his personality test :o )

His favorite napping spot is on my feet (which is very relaxing for me, at least)

As befits the dog of a tech guy, he's disconnected the cable TV once and the house LAN twice (blue cable?) but no harm done.

He's housetraining rapidly, and can even find his litterbox in the night. (of course, the fan in the guest bathroom is getting a workout)

He'll "guard" the bathroom door when I'm using the facility - and seemed to be puzzled about why humans would want to wash that wonderful stink off themselves. :P

The only real behavior I'm going to have to watch is that he wants to jump a lot - and I know at this age, it's not appropriate.

(Well that and the fact that cell phone cases, despite being leather, are not chew toys - but at this age EVERYTHING is potentially edible. :roll:

Favorite toys so far: his ducky from the breeder, a nylabone, and a puppy frisbee (made by Kong)

I can't imagine a better puppy 8-)
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

dcrunkle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dcrunkle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Ukko is 5 months old and I couldn't ask for a better dog. He's a thinker, so when he gets uncomfortable he simply sits down and watches until this is comfortable. I've made sure I had the time to do that when we go out. He does not have as much energy as I expected from a pup his age. He can totally play like a madpup with my other dogs, and dogs he meets, but he's incredibly calm.

He's wary with strangers, but not skittish. He doesn't approach them, but will allow them to approach him. He insists on a good smell before you pet him... a stickler for good manners just like me I guess. He had a bad experience at the Farmer's Market last week. It is normally a great place to take dogs, not too crowded, dog friendly, other dogs, lots of people. But a toddler, unsupervised by parents - hello!!!, ran up to him and pretty much threw herself on him. Perfect dog, made eye contact with me, rolled over on his back, did not react with any aggression, even though I could see the fear in his eyes. I got the kid off him, still NO parent around and he needed a little recoup time, but I was so proud of him. Working with friends with toddlers to get him some positive experience with toddlers on my terms.

Yesterday I got to take him to a friend's house for a party. Only dog there, lots of strangers. He was nervous at first, especially since it was a two hour drive and he gets car sick. But he relaxed, had a blast, and was admired by all.

His favorite toys are squeaky plushes and the Kong rabbit I first got him, although there is not much left of that. He will fetch, when he wants or I have treats.

He loves storms and would rather be out in the rain than protected inside. And he didn't bat an eye at all the fourth of July fireworks.

I have 4 cats and another one staying with me while friends are on vacation. He tries so hard to get them to play, and sometimes chases them, but not in prey drive fashion, simply a oh you want to play chase way.

We need to work on his basic ob. skills and I need to get out and do more leash work with him. But overall, I couldn't ask for a better puppy.

AlexandraS
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AlexandraS » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:25 pm

dcrunkle wrote:Ukko is 5 months old and I couldn't ask for a better dog. He's a thinker, so when he gets uncomfortable he simply sits down and watches until this is comfortable. I've made sure I had the time to do that when we go out. He does not have as much energy as I expected from a pup his age. He can totally play like a madpup with my other dogs, and dogs he meets, but he's incredibly calm.

He's wary with strangers, but not skittish. He doesn't approach them, but will allow them to approach him. He insists on a good smell before you pet him... a stickler for good manners just like me I guess. He had a bad experience at the Farmer's Market last week. It is normally a great place to take dogs, not too crowded, dog friendly, other dogs, lots of people. But a toddler, unsupervised by parents - hello!!!, ran up to him and pretty much threw herself on him. Perfect dog, made eye contact with me, rolled over on his back, did not react with any aggression, even though I could see the fear in his eyes. I got the kid off him, still NO parent around and he needed a little recoup time, but I was so proud of him. Working with friends with toddlers to get him some positive experience with toddlers on my terms.

Yesterday I got to take him to a friend's house for a party. Only dog there, lots of strangers. He was nervous at first, especially since it was a two hour drive and he gets car sick. But he relaxed, had a blast, and was admired by all.

His favorite toys are squeaky plushes and the Kong rabbit I first got him, although there is not much left of that. He will fetch, when he wants or I have treats.

He loves storms and would rather be out in the rain than protected inside. And he didn't bat an eye at all the fourth of July fireworks.

I have 4 cats and another one staying with me while friends are on vacation. He tries so hard to get them to play, and sometimes chases them, but not in prey drive fashion, simply a oh you want to play chase way.

We need to work on his basic ob. skills and I need to get out and do more leash work with him. But overall, I couldn't ask for a better puppy.

Oh my god...I just thought you're explaining my Laios...he acts the same way, when he is stressed he sits or lays down and waits. I think this is a great way to handle with stress! :)