US Laws

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

US Laws

Post by Hawthorne » Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

I thought it might be good to post laws here in a thread on wolf ownership.

In Pennsylvania, you need a permit from the PA Game Commission to own a wolf. Wolfdogs can be owned by anyone--but I do know there are different local laws about having them within city limits. For instance, within our city limits, you cannot own a wolfdog. One man had his wolfdogs taken from him.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: US Laws

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 10, 2010 12:12 am

Good to know! What about wolf-lookalikes?

Also, when the authorities threaten to confiscate wolfdogs, couldn't the owner just move to a new place where they are allowed instead of having to give them up? Or does it not work like that, since the law was already broken?

The reason I ask is because I was forwarded a very tragic email (below) in which it seemed (to me) that the owners didn't put up a fight AT ALL to save their wolfdogs; it was like they just accepted the inevitable and gave in without trying to find another solution. I know that, if it were me, I would stop at NOTHING to save my dogs. There's NO WAY I would EVER have them put to sleep just because it *might* happen anyway and to spare them from *possible* stress at a shelter... it just seems like so many "what ifs" - to me, euthanasia would be the very last resort... not the first. I can't imagine how difficult a decision it must have been for them BUT I still feel that more could have been done.

For instance, I would sooner pack up my car and leave very late at night to smuggle the dogs to another state and board them at a friends house for a while, etc until I could move there... rather than have them killed instead. It's MY fault, MY problem - the dogs are NOT to blame and shouldn't be punished for MY mistakes! (not following local laws, etc)

Yes, it is tragic. Horrific. And the law IS wrong and SHOULD be changed ASAP.

BUT

They chose to have the dogs euthanized themselves. The dogs were not "murdered" - I would have fought to my last breath to save them, even if it means leaving my home and moving to where they are allowed, whatever it takes.

I guess that's just me.
Anniversary of the murders of XXX's crew.
It will soon be 1 year since XXX lost her crew to law makers.

Words written on paper...
Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sorrow disbelief, and frustration fill my heart. A rule, words written on paper have caused the intentional death of 6 beings. Their only crime was carrying the bloodline of recent wolf heritage. They lived in secure containments, and were cared for by responsible owners.

The animals themselves were all rescues of one sort or another. Saved from unfortunate situations and brought to safely and a loving home in a rural setting. Each one had a story, each one special and unique.

In the 10 years there were wolfdogs on the property there had been not one neighbor complaint, no escapes, no bites, no threat to the community. Just a family of people and animals dedicated to loving and living, a reward for past abuse.

I really had to stop and think isn’t that why legislation is written? To make sure animals are contained, cared for, while posing no problem to surrounding property owners? The spirit of the law was kept, the letter wasn’t, couldn’t be. There is no way to legally register and license an illegal animal. Sadly had there been written proof these guys were 10.5 years old or older they would have been legal by description, and not classified as dangerous animals. All requirements could have been met. This because of a grandfather clause included when the law was adopted. As the fates would have it they were 10 and under, and having been rescued there is no proof of even that.

Words written on paper, a decision made in Pierce County WA in 1999 pre-determined these animals were dangerous. Interestingly in the same year the Oregon State Vet did an extensive investigation and determined that wolfdogs are no more dangerous than any large breed canine, and the same good citizenship should and would be required by both. That remains the standard of the state to this day. There is no way to justify the decision made by a political committee in WA but their words, their prejudice, and their power put on paper caused the death of 6 innocent beings. The Commissioners legacy is a sad and ignoble one.

One day last week a worker cutting brush for the BPA visually invaded private property that had been hidden from view. What he saw were 6 wolfy looking canines. They didn’t threaten him, or probably even see him. This “rule keeper”, felt compelled to do what no one who lives in the area had done in 10 years. He alerted Animal Control. I wasn’t his business, but his determination to be a whistle blower created a situation that ended in death and loss.

Friday Animal Control paid a visit, after they left with their intimidations, accusations, and threats the pack seemed to know what lay ahead. They were relaxed but subdued. Tails moved side to side, eyes watched their family, and they knew. At the same time there was an assurance they seemed to communicate, “its okay, we understand, we’ll be fine, don’t worry”. Decisions had to be made, AC would be returning on Tuesday to review documents, documents that didn’t exist. Rather than face darting, forced confiscation, incarceration, and the routine sentence of death for dangerous “hybrid” canines the family made a choice. It would be a peaceful leaving. Surrounded by those whose love they had shared for much of their lives. They were held, good byes were said, tears were shed, and they were released with respect to the bridge.

Where there once had been happy animals there is now a 10ft grave that will be planted with wildflowers. Six crosses painted white will bear a ceramic, wolf print plaque. Each name, Grimalkin, Falcon, Hunter, Jessie, Patience, and Rupert will be held in memory

This tragedy did nothing to make the community safer, it was never in danger. This madness of creating laws that are written to further organizational agendas has to stop. It is time to take a stand, create the vocal community that says NO MORE!! We will not have our families torn apart, by knee jerk politicians. I don’t know how, but I know when. And the time is NOW!!!!! It’s time to come together and create good to replace this terrible wrong.

Please when you give your support to HSUS and other animal rights groups your money is going directly to support breed specific legislation (bsl), the legislation that created this mindless law. Don't do it, give your support to your local Humane Society, they never see a dime from the national group. Animal Welfare is the goal not animals rights adgendas that seek to strip good owners of their animals just because they aren't beagles or boxers.

Posted by Dian Woni Lea at 7:35 PM
Labels: animal control, breed specific legislation
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Uh, this is horrible.

As far as your other questions wolf-look-alikes are not a problem in Pennsylvania. There are no laws for this, and there are no laws in our city of Erie, either. However, I'm not sure about other cities (my suspicion would be for larger cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh).

You would think someone would do everything they could to save their dogs. However, the situation was that someone reported him to the authorities, and animal control showed up at his door. I don't think he had the opportunity to leave. But I also don't know him, either.

I don't like having Freyja outside without her collar on. It makes me nervous. I do take it off now and again to brush her--but other than that I keep it on her at all times. We have a 6' fence--but live in the middle of the city where people are nosy...you know. I can't wait to move! It's coming up soon :)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am

I'm pretty sure animal welfare cannot enter your home and take your dogs without a warrant and police presence (in UK anyway) unless you invite them in and voluntarily hand the animal over. I think they would have had a chance to flee. If it was me the animal welfare officer may have had a bat to the head before I gave up my dog to be put to sleep, but that's just me.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 am

Blufawn,
You are correct. In the USA dogs are considered personal property and cannot be taken without a warrant. I know of some cases where dogs have been taken without the owners knowledge, based on animal neglect, but a warrant should still be served.
Many times in the USA people openly and freely turn over their dogs to animal control because they do not know their rights. They are pressured or threatened by the Animal Control Officer, and the next thing they know is that their beloved pet had been PTS.
Know your rights as a responsible dog owner.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

There were alternatives for these animals. Unfortunately, it seems that the owners did not look into rescue groups for them. There is a vast wolfdog rescue initiative here in the USA and I am quite sure that if the owners had taken some time away from their grief and frusteration that their dogs would have been taken in by one of the respectable groups here...BUT that is hindsite...I can see how they would have been so distraught that they felt that there was no other alternative....

And, yes, the world is full of "do-Gooders" who have nothing better to do with their time than get involved with things that are not their issues...
"I like my dogs more than most people"

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

I agree with you Sylvaen I would take my dogs and run for the hills before considering having them put down. Why oh why would they do that! If anyone tried to hurt my Zuuk there would be hell to pay...

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Update: you now have to have a permit in Pennsylvania to own a wolfdog. The "work around" is to register your CWD, or American wolfdog as a "dog" rather than a wolfdog. "wolf" raises lots of questions with our game commission (see articles I posted in other thread).
*sigh*
I was also informed that permits aren't really given out any more (probably a deterrant for people even to apply)--and I'm guessing that breeders and owners were grandfathered in.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Woofermom
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Woofermom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Being the person that this posting is about, any questions you may have about this situation (it is now going on 2yrs) should direct them at me. Don't assume you know the entire situation from just some emails and comments. Running away w/ the crew was not a financial option. You say you would take your babies and run, I thought so too at one time, but in reality, there is SO much more to do that then just doing it and you are stupid if you don't think so. Maybe if you are single, you actually could but I am not and I also have a family to think about. If you think I just gave up on my crew you are WAY wrong! I knew the laws of my county, I knew what I could and couldn't do. I could've allowed it drag out for months and still land up in the same situation of having to euthanize my crew. There was alot more to the situation then being turned in and the next day my animals are gone.

I truly hope this never happens to you but to sit here at my computer and see how people are so willing to say bad things about someone they do not know and about a situation they have no TRUE idea of is very disheartening and sad. Don't jump on the band wagon when you don't know the music!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 am

Welcome to the forum.
I edited my post to remove any identifying info from the email that was forwarded to me.
Woofermom wrote:Running away w/ the crew was not a financial option. You say you would take your babies and run, I thought so too at one time, but in reality, there is SO much more to do that then just doing it and you are stupid if you don't think so.
Perhaps, if you'd read my post, you'd have realized that I considered running away with the dogs to be a last resort, but certainly one that I would consider over euthanasia any day of the week! To me that is just not acceptable. Of course there is "SO much more to do that then just doing it" - euthanasia was clearly the easier option.
Woofermom wrote:Maybe if you are single, you actually could but I am not and I also have a family to think about.
I'm not single and I also "have a family to think about" but the difference is that *I* consider my dogs to be PART of my family... not separate from it! I guess that's why / how we're different. I'd no sooner have my human family members euthanized, just because it's easier for my dogs (or vice versa). Your family is united by blood but, just as you can't choose your family members, YOUR dogs did NOT choose to live with you either... YOU chose them. They were your responsibility, just as your children are your responsibility.
Woofermom wrote:If you think I just gave up on my crew you are WAY wrong!

I'm not suggesting that you just "gave up" - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make - but perhaps you weren't aware of ALLL the other options and possibilities... such as the HUGE rescue group network that exists for precisely THIS reason! Just a quick google search would have revealed these results and one email or phone call might have changed everything. Anyway, what's done is done but here are some links... maybe it'll help others who are faced with a similar situation.

http://www.facebook.com/wolfdog.project

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37234380360

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolf-and- ... 4306832051

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RiverWolf ... 3129839003

http://laketahoewolfrescue.com/

http://www.wrr-inc.org/

http://wolfdogs.ning.com/

http://wolfdogrescue.net/adoption/all-available/

http://songdogrescue.com/

http://www.wanagi-wolf-fund.org/
Woofermom wrote:I knew the laws of my county, I knew what I could and couldn't do.
If you knew the laws of your county and what you "could and couldn't do" surely you would have thought about those laws before getting the wolfdogs and putting their lives at risk in that particular area??
Woofermom wrote:I could've allowed it drag out for months and still land up in the same situation of having to euthanize my crew.
OR you could have "allowed it to drag out for months" (I would have) and found a suitable adoptive home or rescue group in the meantime. Not to mention, contacting local media, community petitions, etc. Anything and everything: lives were at stake!
Woofermom wrote:I truly hope this never happens to you
It won't. As the saying goes: "over my dead body" (and I'm absolutely serious)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Sylvaen wrote:It won't. As the saying goes: "over my dead body" (and I'm absolutely serious)
*like*
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

blufawn wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:It won't. As the saying goes: "over my dead body" (and I'm absolutely serious)
*like*
*like*
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 pm

I dont know the story behind this but I am also one who would never give up my dogs for anyone, and would certainly 'take off' with them if threatened. Debby is right though there are many rescue centres out there worldwide who are there to help. Destroying dogs is def' not an option in my book.

Lilli
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Lilli » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Blustag wrote:I dont know the story behind this but I am also one who would never give up my dogs for anyone, and would certainly 'take off' with them if threatened. Debby is right though there are many rescue centres out there worldwide who are there to help. Destroying dogs is def' not an option in my book.
:D :D :D :mrgreen: