TRANSFER FEES

All topics pertaining to the sale of ITR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

TRANSFER FEES

Post by Blustag » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm

For the benefit of anyone overseas, or in Europe, where you have been charged transfer fees. A transfer fee is a fee paid to me to deliver your puppy to either the airport, or a destination in Europe...

For those flying abroad, I have to travel to the other side of the country to deliver the pups to the airport. This involves an overnight stay (hotel) as I have to be at the airport in the very early hours of the morning. I have to look after the pup/s during this time of course and the drive is an 8-hour round trip, not counting motorway hold ups. While I am away I have to pay staff to look after my dogs and remaining puppies etc. They have to be there round the clock. The fee I charge is a maximum of £60 (for UK) which I think is amazing value.

When I deliver to Europe I usually go to a German destination, which involves a round-trip of 3 days. I have travel expenses including the eurotunnel/boat and a 12-hour non-stop car journey to my destination. It also takes 12 hours to drive home. This doesn't include the train trip (in the euro tunnel) or the boat trip (ferry) nor any congestion on any motorways, which always happens. Keeping in mind, also waiting for delayed trains/boats and accidents on motorways both here in the UK and in Europe. On my last trip I was held up on the road for over 3 hours in Holland and also on the way back had a 4.5 hour delay for my boat due to horrendous weather conditions. I also have to pay staff while I am away.

I charge a very small fee for these services, which barely covers my expenses and sometimes doesn't cover them at all, and certainly doesn't cover my time away from home. The reason I take puppies to Europe is for the benefit of the puppies... so they are not as stressed on their journey as they are when flying by plane. The transfer fee to Europe is way below the cost of the flight over and I think well worth the money for the new owners, and the peace of mind that their puppy arrives healthy and happy. The maximum I charge is £250. A flight to Europe (obviously depending on where it would be going) along with crate, vets fees etc would be approx £500 and require the pup to be first taken across country to the airport (see above) which does not include my transfer fee of £50 or £60, and of course the added stress to the pup.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: TRANSFER FEES

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 am

This is definitely a fair system. It accounts for transport costs, plus the extra hassle of bringing pups with you, in addition to providing for the ones left behind while you are away.

I made the mistake with my first (and, so far, only) litter in that I didn't ask for any transfer fees... so I ended up taking both adults and their 5 puppies to Germany (since I couldn't find a pet sitter, and I had planned that all pups would go to their new homes directly from the Tamaskan Meeting)... but then I had to transport 2 of the pups back again (after spending an extra 5 days at a hotel) when some people decided the timing was not right for them to get a puppy just yet! With the 2 extra pups I couldn't return by train (as I had planned) so had to rent a car, but since I had the pups returning with me I had to buy a crate for them to travel in while the car was in motion so that they wouldn't distract me while driving. Taking into account all the rest-stops and the extra hassle, it just wasn't worth it financially or emotionally. The costs really added up and in the end I spent over 1000 euros on that trip: petrol, rental car, road tax / tolls, hotel accommodation, my food, extra food for the dogs, crate for the puppies, etc. :?

So.... from now on I'll definitely be charging transport fees - no more free delivery! ;)
I'll only take puppies with me if they are DEFINITELY going to new homes, not bringing them for "interested" people to "see" and then decide "no" - I don't blame them at all for making their decisions and, in the end, all the pups went to great Forever Homes - but it was a good lesson for me and I won't make the same mistake again in the future.

To be honest: when I first got Jasper, I was a bit "miffed" to be charged a "transfer fee" since you (Lynn) were coming to Holland anyway and bringing a puppy in the car shouldn't be any more of a hassle (that's how I figured it in my mind at the time) - but, after experiencing it myself, I have COMPLETELY changed my mind. On the contrary: it's the ONLY reasonable solution to this valuable service. I urge anyone who is questioning the need for "transfer fees" to really THINK about what it is like to take a puppy (or, if you're really brave, 2+ puppies) and then see how you feel about it! Think about: possible carsickness, puppies fighting / playing in the crate, what if one gets hurt and you have to pull over, all the extra rest stops, the fact that as soon as the car stops the puppies want to pee, so you have to take them all out at the same time, and then you have several loose puppies (hopefully, but not necessarily) in a safe area, which may or may not be fenced (usually not) without leashes (since they are still too young) running all over the place... then giving them all water and a bit of food (but not too much so they aren't car sick) - then continuing on the journey... rinse and repeat for the next 4-8-12 hours, depending on the destination. IF you are lucky, you have someone else in the car to help... but this is certainly NOT always the case, so you certainly have your hands full and it ain't easy! :shock:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 pm

That made me laugh :lol:
I had forgotten about all of that hassle, car sickness, drooling pups, poo over each other :lol: :lol: OH and don't forget that the pups have to be paid for at the dock £30 per puppy/dog... I forgot about that. This is crazy especially as they don't leave the car but that is the rule so can't argue...

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

THANKS!
I mean really thanks - I was wondering what the £250was for - thought with (3-5) puppies £250 each was a lot - but I figured that flying is 500£ then I could live with the half so I accepted the fee - but I couldn't really see how this was "fair" but when reading your guys posts I actually understand why and what the money is for.

Thanks for the explanation of what I pay for - that really clarified a lot for me :D
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 pm

No problem. As I said it is Xmas and New Year and I don't really want to even go over there then so it HAS to pay, so I at least break even... rather than being "out of pocket" for that trip. ;)

Oh and, by the way, our agent at the airport is closed until Jan 6th so you wouldn't have gotten your pup until after this date anyway if I wasn't driving over. ;) That's the date the other pups are flying out at the earliest.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Blustag wrote:No problem. As I said it is Xmas and New Year and I don't really want to even go over there then so it HAS to pay, so I at least break even... rather than being "out of pocket" for that trip. ;)

Oh and, by the way, our agent at the airport is closed until Jan 6th so you wouldn't have gotten your pup until after this date anyway if I wasn't driving over. ;) That's the date the other pups are flying out at the earliest.
Thats cool - I really DO understand :-D
I figured there was some things that I didn't take into account :-)
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Just another note for people. The eurotunnel alone can cost well over £200 in some cases return, so I wouldnt travel with anything less than 3 pups or I would be out of pocket for sure.

Lilli
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Lilli » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 am

Hello everyone,

we picked up Lilli at Lynn, and this is our review.

We drove by car to Rotterdam and took the ferry to Hull. After a long journey in a very small inside cabin, we reached after 12 terrible hours Hull. An hour later we arrived at Lynn. Lynn, her dogs and the experience there were the effort worth.

After 15 hours, a journey by car train through the eurotunnel, France, Belgium, a lousy Mc Donalds in Belgium, the Netherlands, a very bad coffee-to-go in Bremen ... we arrived finally at home.

The whole trip cost us finally about 500,- €.

Greetz
Marc