Deposits in advance?

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Gemmy
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Deposits in advance?

Post by Gemmy » Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 pm

I was just really curious and wanted to know are there any breeders that take deposits on their Tamaskans in advance? As of right now, I'm at a 2 year community college majoring in PTA so won't have time for another dog for about another year. I know Tamaskans sell pretty fast and I really want to put a deposit down later this year for a 2015 or 2016 pup.
Future Tamaskan Owner :)

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Deposits in advance?

Post by Wolfsbane » Wed May 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Depends on the breeder. I think most Tamaskan breeders ask deposits in advance, but some will wait until pregnancy is confirmed or the litter is born.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 14, 2014 9:13 pm

I usually wait until the puppies are born and then contact everyone on my waiting list to let them know the ratio of females to males, colors, etc... and then start taking deposits. I don't like to take money in advance because there are so many potential factors / things that could go wrong (unsuccessful mating, loss of pregnancy, problems during whelping, etc). IF someone was producing a vast quantity of litters per year it would make sense for them to take deposits in advance because they could guarantee that you would get a puppy that year... for those of us that only have a small number of litters per year, it doesn't really make sense to take deposits in advance. For instance, what if you take 10 deposits for a litter, and only 3 puppies are born? IMHO, it is much better to wait and see, and then match up each puppy with the best possible home. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Gemmy
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Gemmy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I'll just keep in contact with breeders and see if any breedings are being planned in the next year or so. I hope to have a Tamaskan by spring of 2016 at the latest.
Future Tamaskan Owner :)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 15, 2014 2:20 pm

I also do the same as Debby. I don't take deposits until pups are born. I don't want to hold on to someone's money for a long period of time either. Heaven forbid if something were to happen to our dogs or at the very least, there weren't enough pups to go around. I have had so many people fill out an application and say they want a pup only to back out at the last minute. That whole process is much less cumbersome if there is no money involved.

However, when I do request deposits they are non refundable. At that point when the pup is born I expect people to be serious about committing to getting a puppy. Of course there are always extenuating circumstances, but if people just "change their mind" (which I have had happen!) then I feel they have wasted my time and I keep the deposit. I make it very clear to our buyers that the deposit is not refundable. That money goes directly to the initial care of the puppies: worming, shots, microchipping, food, formula, etc., so those funds are used up rather quickly. Deposits go toward the total cost of the pup.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends