Initial Costs

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Initial Costs

Post by Jamille » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Im just curious... how much would the initial cost of JUST the puppy be? How much do you breeders charge, and does the cost change between gender? Does the cost change on a different circumstance? If so, what? How much did you owners pay?
I just want to get the idea of everything, so I know how much I should save :)

Feel free to PM me

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Initial Costs

Post by Tiantai » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 am

Usually I think it's better to PM a breeder for this. I remember back then Lynn said that the costs all vary between different breeders so you're best bet is to ask them in personal emails.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 am

Save double whatever the cost of the puppy is. You'll need it!

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Yup, Ive already got a PM. Im going to add that in to the original message.
Save double whatever the cost of the puppy is. You'll need it!
I know, believe me :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Side note: This is not necessarily about Tamaskan breeders but in the dog and cat world I know that some reputable breeders are quite sensitive about discussing prices to the public. That's why I personally recommend PM over posting it out in the open. Also I've heard somewhere that because some animals go to future breeders while others go to pet-only homes the different breeders may charge differently in such cases.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 pm

A puppy from me would cost €1000-, I don't charge different rates between genders or 'pet vs breeding quality'.
Pups will be micro-chipped, dewormed, vaccinated, DNA profiled, DM tested (if necessary) and when they are hip scored between a certain age the owner will receive a part of the pupprice back.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I have not set down the price for sure yet (it will depend on how much expense there will be put into the pups like if DM is necessary etc. plus I am still waiting on the hip results on my girl) but for sure the price of males and females will be the same, I don't see why it shouldn't be so :)

Also as with Rahne I am working on how to set up certain clauses within the sales contract that if the new owners will be refunded a amount of the price if certain things are done - like scoring the hips between a certain age..
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:40 pm

I like €1000 more than £1000 :mrgreen: :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 pm

oh and yeah I paid ~1400 GBP
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 pm

My prices are listed here (along with everything that is included in the price):
http://sylvaen.com/present_litters.html
Nino wrote:oh and yeah I paid ~1400 GBP
Same.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:48 am

I haven't decided on puppy prices but I think all USA breeders sell for the same so I will likely keep it the same.

I paid 1000 GBP for Zephyr and then paid 1031 GBP to send him to the USA... I then had to rent a car and drive 9 hours to pick him up at the airport... that was about 800 USD.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 am

AZDehlin wrote:I paid 1000 GBP for Zephyr and then paid 1031 GBP to send him to the USA... I then had to rent a car and drive 9 hours to pick him up at the airport... that was about 800 USD.
O.M.G. :o :shock:
I'm not sure I even WANT to add that all up... I mean, I guess it's about right but it seems like soooo much money to spend on a pup. How is shipping from the UK to the USA (by plane) THAT expensive? I figured it would be around half that price (maximum). It might be cheaper to buy a human plane ticket (return trip) - fly over, pick up the pup, and bring it back with you as 'excess baggage' (in the cargo) OR as 'carry-on luggage' (with you in the passenger cabin) - if it is allowed by that airline and if the pup is not too heavy (that's how I brought my 2 cats with me from Texas to the Netherlands). I wonder how the 'accompanied' price compares to shipping the pup 'unaccompanied' (by plane) as cargo.

When you paid the 1031 GBP in shipping costs, were you issued with a receipt that listed the separate prices (the individual components) that you were paying for? Such as: shipping crate, transport to airport, Lynn's overnight stay in hotel, actual cost of transporting puppy by plane, etc. (or were you just quoted one lump sum)? It would be good to get a breakdown of the costs involved, so we can see if it can be done cheaper in the future.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:34 pm

around 3200 Euro holy!
That is freaking crazy!

I How the freak does it become that expensive (the 1000+ for flying him over) it's crazy!
Last edited by Katlin on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
>> Nino <<

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:52 pm

AZDehlin wrote:I paid 1000 GBP for Zephyr and then paid 1031 GBP to send him to the USA... I then had to rent a car and drive 9 hours to pick him up at the airport... that was about 800 USD.
With Ulric for him to be flown over as a pup, this is what Liz gave me
"pup                           £900
Air                             686,00
carrier                          70.23
pup chq @ vacc          30,69
cert to travel                25.00
Micro chip                   25.00
Travel                           50.00

I think this comes to £1786.92."

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 pm

That price makes much more sense to me..
>> Nino <<

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I was quoted around 820 GBP... but my puppy had 3-4 connections so maybe yours was more expensive because it was mor direct? Wow though, that's kinda crazy :shock:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:23 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote: With Ulric for him to be flown over as a pup, this is what Liz gave me
"pup                           £900
Air                             686,00
carrier                          70.23
pup chq @ vacc          30,69
cert to travel                25.00
Micro chip                   25.00
Travel                           50.00

I think this comes to £1786.92."
Wow, that equals to almost $3000 CAD :shock: But the puppy itself seems to equal up to around $1400 here. All of these prices seem reasonable though.
Thats almost $2200 :o The prices seem to vary with all the additional things, like shipping. I have to save a lot!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm

You're not alone Jamille.

I still owe about $4500 to my Ontario Student Loan and I still need to borrow another few thousands for my upcoming post-grad which is part of why I can't get a dog until 2016 :(

But once all of that is out of the way it's time to prepare for the arrival of my first Tarheel dog :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I was not given a break down it was a lump some of the pup price and then the shipping cost I got a few weeks before Zephyr was to fly over here.

I have the receipts so with the times current exchange rate I paid:

Puppy: 1,671.44 USD (American Dollar)
Plane: 1,737.27 USD
Travel: 800.00 USD
--------------------------
Grand Total = 4,208.71 USD
then you have all the expenses of having a new puppy... collars, leashes, bowls, crates, bed, toys, insurance, food, treats and all vaccination costs... was probably between 6/7k after the first year of life.

I always did think it was strange that the shipping Zephyr over was more than he was. I could of got two tamaskan if I had waited and got them in the USA.

Katlin wrote:
I was quoted around 820 GBP... but my puppy had 3-4 connections so maybe yours was more expensive because it was mor direct? Wow though, that's kinda crazy :shock:
I was quoted around 600 GBP and Lynn took my info for my local airport but in the end... She sent Zephyr 400 miles away to and international airport and shipping cost almost doubled... Flying to international airports is always cheeper than shipping into small town airports so I thought it would of gone down in price not up :( :roll:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Tiantai wrote:You're not alone Jamille.

I still owe about $4500 to my Ontario Student Loan and I still need to borrow another few thousands for my upcoming post-grad which is part of why I can't get a dog until 2016 :(

But once all of that is out of the way it's time to prepare for the arrival of my first Tarheel dog :D

4500 is nothing when you think about USA collages.... I went to the cheapest university in the State of Michigan got free tuition and I still had to take out 32,000 in student loans. That was only 4 years of collage and if I was to go back and get my masters I would probably be closer to 95,000 - 100,000 dollars. Safe to say I will never pay off my student loans with the state of USA economy... Collage degree really doesnt get you anything in USA anymore but a bunch of debt.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Jamille wrote:
Thats almost $2200 :o The prices seem to vary with all the additional things, like shipping. I have to save a lot!
Yeah and I live in Europe and my pup was driven not flown.. try thinking about that :?

Katelyn I would think that another breeder might be able to do it cheeper tbh..

I'm guessing my students loan is probably around 12.000-13.000 USD..
and so far I have probably put at least around 4000 USD into my girl - but it's just a Guestimate, and I'm good at finding sales and buying my dog stuff there..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Only issue is the american dollar is becoming worth less and less so I don't know if importing another dog will ever be an option for me. Loans and if I want more dogs and a family some day a house and property are on the top of my list.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 am

I never fully realized how expensive dogs were until getting one. The price of the puppy was a drop in the bucket compared to everything else that goes along with one. Although I don't regret getting a Tamaskan now (most days!), I hate thinking about how much of a dent I could've make in some of my debt if I had waited a couple of years.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:23 am

I have often had the same thought :lol: ... But then again, living a dog-less life was not an option for me :D ...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I got my puppy from Lynn as well and was quoted around 700 pounds for transport costs, which ended up being over 1000 instead. All in all, we ended up paying about $3200 CAD for our dog. I didn't get any breakdown of the final costs, was just told how much I still owed if I wanted my puppy. We would not import again, not just because of the cost, but because we had no idea what we were getting.

Our next puppy will be American born and if we aren't able to actually visit with her before we take her home, at least we know we can pick her up and I'm pretty sure there will be lots of photos. We got to see one of Loki when it was time to say whether we would take this puppy or not and then a few that were posted on the FB page just a couple of days before he arrived.

We love him to death and can't even imagine life without him now, but we would have done things differently in hindsight.
~Gabriele~

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Gabriele58 wrote:I got my puppy from Lynn as well and was quoted around 700 pounds for transport costs, which ended up being over 1000 instead. All in all, we ended up paying about $3200 CAD for our dog. I didn't get any breakdown of the final costs, was just told how much I still owed if I wanted my puppy. We would not import again, not just because of the cost, but because we had no idea what we were getting.

Our next puppy will be American born and if we aren't able to actually visit with her before we take her home, at least we know we can pick her up and I'm pretty sure there will be lots of photos. We got to see one of Loki when it was time to say whether we would take this puppy or not and then a few that were posted on the FB page just a couple of days before he arrived.

We love him to death and can't even imagine life without him now, but we would have done things differently in hindsight.
Good luck to you then :D

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Nino wrote:so far I have probably put at least around 4000 USD into my girl - but it's just a Guestimate, and I'm good at finding sales and buying my dog stuff there..
Wow. :shock:
Gabriele58 wrote: Our next puppy will be American born and if we aren't able to actually visit with her before we take her home, at least we know we can pick her up and I'm pretty sure there will be lots of photos.
Sounds like a good plan. Even at the beginning I knew I didnt want any sort of shipping. Hopefully in the future there are more Canadian breeders, so we dont even have to cross the border :roll: :lol: