Tamskan Breeders in Canada/America.

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
SottoCapo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamskan Breeders in Canada/America.

Post by SottoCapo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey I have been truly intrigued by the Tamaskan and I have made my decision after months of research that I would like to buy one, but the problem is that I can't find any breeders within my location. I live in Toronto and if anyone knows of any breeders in Ontario, or Buffalo, New York or anywhere near me please let me know. Thanks I really appreciate it !

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamskan Breeders in Canada/America.

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

No breeders In Canada yet - there are a few in USA but cant say if any is breeding atm.
Ells there is Lynn (Blustag) who exports all over the world :)
>> Nino <<

SottoCapo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SottoCapo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks a lot for your help, and do you know if there is a directory that shows the breeders in America? Thanks.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:30 pm

>> Nino <<

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:31 pm

SottoCapo wrote:Thanks a lot for your help, and do you know if there is a directory that shows the breeders in America? Thanks.
These are the ones in the states: http://tamaskan-dog.us/web/Breeder_List.html

And then there is a more comprehensive list worldwide on this link: along with future breeders depending on when you want to get your tam: http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/breeders/Index.htm

Lol @ Nino you beat me to it!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Beat me too it too!

Right now there are only a few Tamaskan breeders in North America, and Tarheel Tamaskan in North Carolina is the only one of which is currently active. There are a few other future breeders scattered around the States, but none in Canada yet.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

SottoCapo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SottoCapo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your help I guess I am just going to wait it out until I find a breeder a little closer to home since I don't really feel comfortable shipping one :).

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 pm

SottoCapo wrote:Thanks everyone for your help I guess I am just going to wait it out until I find a breeder a little closer to home since I don't really feel comfortable shipping one :).
It's good that you're deciding to wait, rather than just rush in - gives you more time to research and learn about the breed. ;)
hopefully it won't take too long though!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

jmarino82
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by jmarino82 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 am

Slightly off topic, but make sure you take Debby's advice and do your research. While I'm not telling you what to do, I do recommend you strongly consider using a registered breeder to make sure you're getting a high quality, healthy Tamaskan from people who truly care about the breed and are very knowledgable about them.

You could also consider taking a road trip to pick up your pup here in the US ;).

SottoCapo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SottoCapo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 am

jmarino82 wrote:Slightly off topic, but make sure you take Debby's advice and do your research. While I'm not telling you what to do, I do recommend you strongly consider using a registered breeder to make sure you're getting a high quality, healthy Tamaskan from people who truly care about the breed and are very knowledgable about them.

You could also consider taking a road trip to pick up your pup here in the US ;).
Ya I am actually I looked at the website and I seen a couple of breeders in Pennsylvania ! Although it is about a 5 hour ride I bet it will be worth it !

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 am

SottoCapo wrote:Ya I am actually I looked at the website and I seen a couple of breeders in Pennsylvania ! Although it is about a 5 hour ride I bet it will be worth it !
That's not bad! Heck, I have to travel 16+ hours in the car just to attend the annual Euro Tamaskan shows - for a puppy, 5 hours is totally worth it!! (IMHO) :D
jmarino82 wrote:I do recommend you strongly consider using a registered breeder to make sure you're getting a high quality, healthy Tamaskan from people who truly care about the breed and are very knowledgable about them.
It's not just health, which IS a very important factor, but I've also heard countless horror stories of 'unregistered Tamaskans' or 'Tamaskan lookalikes' (usually just arctic / husky mixes that LOOK very similar) with a temperament that is completely different to the REAL breed: dogs that are hyperactive / excessively destructive / high prey drive (dangerous around small pets) / aggressive towards other dogs / can't be let off leash or they run away / shy around strangers / overly protective / etc. You never really know what you're going to get - some people are lucky, others not so much. We can't say we didn't warn them though! :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

5 hours are great - I drove for just under 24 hours back and forth when I went to get my pup :)
hopefully the next will be in the summer :lol:
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 am

i love road trips... something about them...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 am

TerriHolt wrote:i love road trips... something about them...
They are great but not in the winter when it is snowing and slippery I might say
>> Nino <<

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Sylvaen wrote:It's not just health, which IS a very important factor, but I've also heard countless horror stories of 'unregistered Tamaskans' or 'Tamaskan lookalikes' (usually just arctic / husky mixes that LOOK very similar) with a temperament that is completely different to the REAL breed: dogs that are hyperactive / excessively destructive / high prey drive (dangerous around small pets) / aggressive towards other dogs / can't be let off leash or they run away / shy around strangers / overly protective / etc. You never really know what you're going to get - some people are lucky, others not so much. We can't say we didn't warn them though! :lol:
Take her advice to heart!

My grandfather always said, "He who cannot be trusted, must be watched."

Because of the strict TDR breeders' code of ethics, you can trust a TDR registered breeder.
My breeder is no longer in the TDR :oops: (Though she was when I first entered a relationship with her.)

This puts the responsibility on me, the prospective pet owner, to do all the "work" of meeting the dogs proposed to be bred examining them or asking the breeder for proof of examinations, observing temperament under different conditions over several hours, on different days, etc. A breeder that will give you a pedigree and DNA certificate is also important. What if an angry neighbor cries "wolf!" on you beloved pet? :evil: Having evidence of her heritage could save her life! :o Without TDR registration, the DNA profiled pedigree is all you have to prove your dog is not a wolf-dog.

*If* you decide to go to a non-registered breeder for ANY breed of dog, I would urge you to be sure they are close enough and cooperative enough to permit that level of hands-on involvement. And if you have even a vague interest in becoming a breeder of Tamaskan Dogs (There is a special area of sainthood for you all - right next to kindergarden teachers and fire men.) then a TDR registered pup is the only real option to legitimize your own breeding program.

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm

well said, Angie :D
At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision - if you've met the breeder and feel comfortable that they've answered all your questions satisfactorily, met the dogs, seen their living environment and double-checked all their paperwork, then you should be in a comfortable position to make up your own mind. :)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I would never buy from an unregistered breeder. You have to ask yourself WHY they are unregistered?
RPK managed to fool many people into believing he was wrongly removed from our breeding list and that he was the one being badly treated and that the only reason he was removed was because the TDR wanted him to sell his pups for more money...pah, we dont have rules about prices.
The point is, people are not trustworthy and they could be spinning you any old yarn to get you to buy their pup. At least with TDR registered breeders you know everything is above board and all heath tests are done and you are getting a quality, registered pup that will grow up looking like how it is supposed to.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

jmarino82
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by jmarino82 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Sylvaen wrote:It's not just health, which IS a very important factor, but I've also heard countless horror stories of 'unregistered Tamaskans' or 'Tamaskan lookalikes' (usually just arctic / husky mixes that LOOK very similar) with a temperament that is completely different to the REAL breed: dogs that are hyperactive / excessively destructive / high prey drive (dangerous around small pets) / aggressive towards other dogs / can't be let off leash or they run away / shy around strangers / overly protective / etc. You never really know what you're going to get - some people are lucky, others not so much. We can't say we didn't warn them though! :lol:
Great point! These are beautiful dogs, with very good natural temperaments. It's worth the drive and every penny to have one of these dogs. They change your life for the better.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:51 pm

jmarino82 wrote:
Great point! These are beautiful dogs, with very good natural temperaments. It's worth the drive and every penny to have one of these dogs. They change your life for the better.
Only one warning from me. Once you have met a real Tamaskan you WILL want one, they are wonderful dogs.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 pm

JulieSmith wrote: Only one warning from me. Once you have met a real Tamaskan you WILL want one, they are wonderful dogs.
One? Who said anything about ONE??? Once you have one, you'll want more than ONE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
JulieSmith wrote: Only one warning from me. Once you have met a real Tamaskan you WILL want one, they are wonderful dogs.
One? Who said anything about ONE??? Once you have one, you'll want more than ONE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I SECOND THIS!!
>> Nino <<

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 pm

You all are BRAVE! I can only handle one thank you very much :lol: :roll:

...although I would love to be able to handle a whole pack of tams...say 5 or 6 :D :D :D :D :D , but i'll just keep on dreaming lol
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:36 am

Nino wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
I SECOND THIS!!
One day I am sure I will have a small pack... Need to work on my career a little bit before I commit to more that one...

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 am

Hawthorne wrote:
:lol: :lol: true

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 am

AZDehlin wrote:
Nino wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
I SECOND THIS!!
One day I am sure I will have a small pack... Need to work on my career a little bit before I commit to more that one...
Me2 - since I'm in school now, one Tam is more than enough, but I'm done with school next year, and IF I can get a job (with a well enough pay, and hopefully from home at least some of the time) and a place with a little space around. Then it will be the plan to get more Tams (at least one more!)
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:10 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Nino wrote:
Me2 - since I'm in school now, one Tam is more than enough, but I'm done with school next year, and IF I can get a job (with a well enough pay, and hopefully from home at least some of the time) and a place with a little space around. Then it will be the plan to get more Tams (at least one more!)
Im no longer in school... But the US job market is in horrible shape... I work mostly for myself selling my commissioned artwork, web, and now organic dog jerky treats...And help teach a course at the college I graduated from... It's a great time to have a puppy though cause I can be with him all day...even get to bring him to help teach Outdoor Living Skills.

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:56 am

right now i'm finishing school, working part time, and i live in an apartment that doesnt allow dogs! :cry:
but ill be able to move next year, school will be done soon after, so it'll be time to get a dog! before a tam though we'll be getting an akita i think. but OMG i dont know how i'm going to wait any longer! :shock: :shock: :shock:

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

For my husband and I, this is the ideal and loooooong awaited time to get a puppy.

The kids are grown and gone, our careers are (gratefully) well established and secure and I work from home.

Beautiful ground with wildlife and a pond, dog park less than a mile away, metro park had nearby pet-friendly trails and well....

Yep! :D it's time!
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin