DNA profiles for puppies?

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: DNA profiles for puppies?

Post by Nino » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 pm

sequoia wrote:Personally, I think that's too much to ask of the breeder. Supplying the dam/sire's DNA profile should be enough IMO. If the new owner wants to have the test done, then the price should be added to the cost of the puppy.
being that the DNA profiling of 1 dog is like 45$ (if I remember correctly, and then you might even be able to get a discount for doing an entire litter on the same time) and the price of a puppy is 2000$ (if I remember correctly?), I would say it was nothing but fair to include that in the price.

it IS possible to swap young pups (I believe there are even instructions to how) without much of the risk of getting the dna from the mother, and if it was possible to do while the pups are chipped (I asked Tracy if she could find out how early a pup can be chipped, because if the pup can be chipped already at the first vet check I see no reason why they cannot be both chipped and swapped by the Vet at this point - and then the vet sealing a envelope and sending it for profiling (thereby ensuring that there could not be tampered with the swapped by people less than honorable)..
If doing this early the result is likely to have come back before the pup leaves for new homes AND the pups DNA and Chip could be registered together in the database, for future reference, eg. if any dog should ever disappear or turn up that might be Tamaskan or linked to Tamaskan..

Also as it turns out, some people are just going to try and get away with what they can, which means they will also use dogs and say that the parents are other dogs.. we have seen this more than once already now, this will be much harder!!

Besides this, I am pretty sure I heard that in some GSD clubs they have been doing the same (DNA Profiling entire litters) because too many people were cheating and lying (1 is too many if you ask me!) ..
>> Nino <<

sequoia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sequoia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Nino wrote:
sequoia wrote:Personally, I think that's too much to ask of the breeder. Supplying the dam/sire's DNA profile should be enough IMO. If the new owner wants to have the test done, then the price should be added to the cost of the puppy.
being that the DNA profiling of 1 dog is like 45$ (if I remember correctly, and then you might even be able to get a discount for doing an entire litter on the same time) and the price of a puppy is 2000$ (if I remember correctly?), I would say it was nothing but fair to include that in the price.

it IS possible to swap young pups (I believe there are even instructions to how) without much of the risk of getting the dna from the mother, and if it was possible to do while the pups are chipped (I asked Tracy if she could find out how early a pup can be chipped, because if the pup can be chipped already at the first vet check I see no reason why they cannot be both chipped and swapped by the Vet at this point - and then the vet sealing a envelope and sending it for profiling (thereby ensuring that there could not be tampered with the swapped by people less than honorable)..
If doing this early the result is likely to have come back before the pup leaves for new homes AND the pups DNA and Chip could be registered together in the database, for future reference, eg. if any dog should ever disappear or turn up that might be Tamaskan or linked to Tamaskan..

Also as it turns out, some people are just going to try and get away with what they can, which means they will also use dogs and say that the parents are other dogs.. we have seen this more than once already now, this will be much harder!!

Besides this, I am pretty sure I heard that in some GSD clubs they have been doing the same (DNA Profiling entire litters) because too many people were cheating and lying (1 is too many if you ask me!) ..
You raise a good point about people "lying" about things. With that taken into consideration, maybe any pup of breeding quality - or being sold with a breeding contract should have it done? I've never heard of any one getting a pet quality dog asking for DNA papers. Like you said, maybe they were just trying to get everything they possibly could (sigh). But, if it proves a big enough benefit to the breed maybe it should be considered? I admit, until now I'd never heard of entire litters having their DNA profiled before leaving their breeders. Thanks for sharing - maybe we could talk with other groups that are doing the profiling for entire litters and see what their experiences have been.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:00 am

I don't think it needs to be a requirement for all breeders necessarily.. but if breeders choose themselves to DNA profile the whole litter then why not? ;)