Hello from NYC!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
kinpaku
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from NYC!

Post by kinpaku » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Hello all! My name is Joe and I found out about this breed around a year ago and I've really keen on getting a tamaskan family member.

I originally wanted huskies but decided not to as I'd like to have an off leash buddy. Finding out about tamaskans really got me really giddy, they look absolutely gorgeous. I was ready to commit myself into contacting breeders and hopefully bring home a little pup until my brother decided to dive in before me and got a shiba inu. Not the dog I was exactly thinking of raising...it's almost like raising a little diva! All the same I have come to love the little guy. That being said, I would be happy to have a pal I can reliably recall on hikes instead constantly being leashed or playing in small enclosed areas. I'm pretty sure my little guy would be really happy to have a playmate.

Not looking for a new puppy yet, but I'm 100% sure on getting a Tamaskan in the future. So here I am trying to find out more about the breed and to get to know the community better before I add another dog to the family!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hello from NYC!

Post by Gaby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum! Look around at the forum, you can find a lot of info about the breed here. :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi and welcome :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Hello Joe, welcome to the forum :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
You are the 1600th forum member. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 am

If you ever want to meet one, maybe we can work something out. We have family in NYC we visit with some regularity. Conversely, if you ever find yourself in the Albany area, you can stop by.

kinpaku
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kinpaku » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 am

Sylvaen wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)
You are the 1600th forum member. ;)
:D
Ryphen wrote:If you ever want to meet one, maybe we can work something out. We have family in NYC we visit with some regularity. Conversely, if you ever find yourself in the Albany area, you can stop by.
Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Wolfheart2112
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfheart2112 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:35 am

Welcome to the forum :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 am

Welcome

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

Welcome :D

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 pm

welcome ;)
http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello and welcome :D

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi. I lived in Manhattan with my Tamaskan until last year when I started a big cross country hike with her and her Karelian bear dog brother. If you exercise your tam a lot it will be fine in an apartment. But when I say 'exercise a lot' I do mean A LOT.

Good luck! Hope you get one:)

kinpaku
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kinpaku » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 am

martinbernstein wrote:Hi. I lived in Manhattan with my Tamaskan until last year when I started a big cross country hike with her and her Karelian bear dog brother. If you exercise your tam a lot it will be fine in an apartment. But when I say 'exercise a lot' I do mean A LOT.

Good luck! Hope you get one:)
Thanks, and cross country hike wow! I live in Brooklyn with a decent sized park right in front of my house. I'd like to think of it as a glorified front lawn the size of a couple of blocks. With my Shiba, I used to bring him out with the neighborhood dogs mornings/evenings for a total of 2 hours when the weather was warm. That's only when he actually feels like playing with other dogs, he's usually the socially awkward dog in the group :roll:. If he just ends up staring at other dogs like a creeper, I take him jogging at a little preserve trail for that time. Now that its cold, I usually just have half an hour in the mornings but I spend an hour having him chase me while I'm dribbling a soccer ball.

I don't know how this will fare with a Tamaskan but I plan on doing the same thing. Actually, I think this might be close to the weekday limit on how much time I can afford for their exercise!

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Ideally I would aim to give your tam two hours a day of real exercise, meaning walking, jogging, playing in a larger dog run. But of course that's not always possible for everyone due to work schedules and so on.

I'll tell you what I've said in many other posts: the Tamaskan is not just a beautiful , wolfy-looking breed, it can also be quite a wolfy-acting breed. It is not for everyone. The breeds that went in to creating the tam include very high energy sled dogs, and high maintenance wolf dogs, both of which are pack breeds, not happy when alone. Not every tam is challenging, but it is safer to assume that the one you get will be challenging.

Just as a Great Pyrenees dog is happiest when it has livestock to protect, and a border collie is happiest when it has sheep to herd, the tam is happiest when it has other dogs and it's human master around, and when provided plenty of time to exercise.

Too many people are attracted to the tam because of its appearance without considering the care and training that must go in to providing a healthy environment for it and as a result, many tams end up in shelters and pounds.

Not saying you are one of them- there are others out there that might be looking into getting a tam that might read this post and think twice.

kinpaku
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kinpaku » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm

I will certainly not get a Tamaskan or any other dog for that matter until I have at least one person in the house for most of the day. I guess one of the perks of having a shiba is they largely are independent and he's fine being left alone. Being first time dog owners, we were told that getting a shiba inu was definitely not for everyone especially not for beginner dog owners. I think it's safe to say both the dog and humans in the house are very content as things are going right now.

That being said, I definitely understand your concern. I have seen my share of huskies and shibas being sent to the shelters (as young as 5 months old) because the owners did not like or anticipated the amount of care needed for needy breeds.

Looking at Tamaskans, I am just slightly worried about the amount of exercise given. I would ask questions about it, but I'll save everyone's time and do more research to formulate better ones!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce