United States has changed import regulations

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

United States has changed import regulations

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm

The United States has implemented new regulations which will restrict the importation of puppies. Pups now have to be vaccinated for rabies at 3 months of age, and have their titer checked no more than 30 days following vaccination prior to being imported into the US. This is terrible news for responsible breeders, and even worse news for those like us who are trying to manage a rare breed where gene flow between countries is important.

But you can make a difference! Make your voice heard…sign the petition here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/new- ... egulations

Thank you!!!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: United States has changed import regulations

Post by Taz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Funny you look at that as terrible news, I suppose not coming from a country in which it used to be that because of the strict criteria, most puppies were around 10 months before they could legally enter without quarantine time, might give you that perspective, for us in the UK having the rules relaxed to what you mention, has been a godsend to some people.
Not having a go btw, just find it interesting how attitudes vary depending on experiences.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am

It sucks, but it's nothing on aus import rules. They can't fly til at least 9 months old.
Image Image

eyembrad
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by eyembrad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:56 am

I agree that these new regs will be an issue here in the US, but I was quite shocked that Sylvaen was able to ship six 9 week old pups to the US from Croatia with no issue at at all. No quarantine, no health check upon entering the US. In fact the paperwork accompanying my girl upon arriving at RDU was missing having been swapped with some Rott paperwork at customs in Chicago. And the baggage claim agent let me take her home anyway. So very little rule following there.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 am

Wylie's shipping from LA to Calgary was pretty easy. But there were a ton of papers and the guard was kinda a dick. He gave me hell because I didn't have a legit invoice for Wylie so I had to open up my email and show him that yes I did pay for the dog. The bank transfer print out wasn't good enough. Such a pain...but other than that it wasn't awful.

As for the new rule....personally although I'm not a fan because I like getting my puppy at 8 weeks, I don't think it's the end of the world and I doubt they will change it.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Well the dog breeding world here in the US and in Canada are furious because the regulations are overly strict for no apparent reason. This mostly seems to be out of concern for importing dogs from Canada into the United States. Of all the rabies cases in Canada last year only 1% were attributed to dogs. Dumb. This seems to be making rules for making rules sake: there is no evidence this is necessary.

For those in the US and Canada, it would be great to sign the petition and at least try…

Eyembrad I think that Debby's shipment was done prior to these new regulations. I think they made it in under the wire, so to speak.

From the CDC website, there were 6,155 cases of rabies infected animals (domestic and wild) in 2010. Of those cases, 69 were dogs. There was no information I could find for more recent years.

Link to review this info: http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10 ... .239.6.773

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/ ... imals.html
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Eyembrad I think that Debby's shipment was done prior to these new regulations. I think they made it in under the wire, so to speak.
This is correct. The new regulations went into effect as of August 11, 2014. All of our future litters will be affected by these new regulations.
eyembrad wrote:I was quite shocked that Sylvaen was able to ship six 9 week old pups to the US from Croatia with no issue at at all. No quarantine, no health check upon entering the US. In fact the paperwork accompanying my girl upon arriving at RDU was missing having been swapped with some Rott paperwork at customs in Chicago. And the baggage claim agent let me take her home anyway. So very little rule following there.
There was a lot of paperwork we had to complete on our end in order for us to ship 9 week old pups to the US: TRACES documentation, International Health Certificate, EU Pet Passport, Customs Declaration, Breeder Statement, Birth Report, Financial Invoice, etc. All of this is reviewed first by the transshipping company, then by the airline (before her flight) and finally by customs at the port of entry (in Tessen's case: at Chicago airport) along with the health exam by the official US vet. Once she cleared through customs at Chicago she was put on her connecting flight to RDU, at which point it didn't matter (from a legal import perspective) that her paperwork got left behind during the mix-up at Chicago airport.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Update: It seems the USDA / APHIS has amended the new regulations for importation into the United States. It is only dogs imported for resale and dogs imported for sale to research facilities that are affected by these regulations. Article can be found here:

http://www.akc.org/press_center/article ... le_id=5637
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby