COI

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

COI

Post by Miran » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 am

Okay just wondering how and what and why people think here.
In the Netherlands we have set that a COI may not be higher then 4%
Calculated the most inbreeding combination that is planned here and there offspring of it still stays under that 4%

Now I look to combinations that are in the database and see some are way higher then that 4%
I think in most of the parts it is very well doable to stay under that 4%

What do the most think is a good limit and you really must do you best to stay under and why

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: COI

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I very much agree with this since this is what I have read in several books and articles but have you stipulated over how many generations? 4% over 10 generations or over of 4% over 5 generations?

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 pm

AZDehlin wrote:I very much agree with this since this is what I have read in several books and articles but have you stipulated over how many generations? 4% over 10 generations or over of 4% over 5 generations?
The 4% we have over 5 generations because in some beyond that are holes. But even the generations with some where you do have the 10 you can stay easy below it

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 pm

I agree with 4% over 5. I think is close enough to keep the look and far enough to prevent disorders.

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:09 am

Tana wrote:I agree with 4% over 5. I think is close enough to keep the look and far enough to prevent disorders.
AT this moment yes. But with the outcrosses and holes just now you can't go on more generations yet but I do think it is possible in the future to work to that 4% over 10 generations.

When I decided to look for an other male for my Sierra I had several passed for that ( no outcrosses considered in that but all tamaskan) and all stayed under 1% ( 5 generations) SO it is doable although I know that that is harder for the US at this moment but I do think it is a goal to work too

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:31 pm

I have been reading a lot On the ICB group on this and I do still like the idea of monitoring COI but I feel the more generation used the better. A dog at 4% could jump to 25% theoretically if you use 20 generations. I like the idea of using all the information I can dig up but still like to remain under 3-5% under this.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm sure that Carolyn will have some recommendations about COI percentages. Just curious what her take is on this. I'm sure it'll be low!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am

AZDehlin wrote:I have been reading a lot On the ICB group on this and I do still like the idea of monitoring COI but I feel the more generation used the better. A dog at 4% could jump to 25% theoretically if you use 20 generations. I like the idea of using all the information I can dig up but still like to remain under 3-5% under this.
The more you use the better indeed. When I calculate myself I always use all the generations I have but at this moment you just don't have on some more then 5 ( some even not that ;) ) That is why you have to start somewhere ;) And than when you indeed sure in the future of more ggenerations you can set that generations part higher ;)

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Miran wrote:But with the outcrosses and holes just now you can't go on more generations yet but I do think it is possible in the future to work to that
Miran wrote:That is why you have to start somewhere ;) And than when you indeed sure in the future of more ggenerations you can set that generations part higher ;)
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I use all generations too and for outcrosses I write some xy names, where are holes (theoretically there shouldn't be same ancestors). But to be sure it's the right thing to wait for a few generations and get rid of the holes first.