Does getting a breeding quality puppy cost more than a pet?

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Does getting a breeding quality puppy cost more than a pet?

Post by JenTehLuv » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 am

Hopefully sometime this year my fiancé and I are buying our first house and maybe within the next two years he and I will be getting a tamaskan of our very own. We havent decided on which breeder we want but we were talking about the option of getting a tam from the UK so we can use for fresh blood in the US to help out the breed as a whole. My question is that if we do decide on getting a tam for breeding will the cost of the puppy be more than one meant for a pet life or will it be the same? I know with shipping costs with flight tickets and so on will raise the price, but will the puppy itself be the same amount as his/her brothers and sisters? Does it depend on the breeder?

We were considering getting a male so it can sire different litters with the many dams here in the US plus we personally wouldn't have too worry about the responsibility of handling the puppies lol. We live in NJ and we would probably be able to travel to a few of the breeders from Wisconsin to the East Coast if need be. Of course nothing is set in stone yet lol.

Rahne

Re: Does getting a breeding quality puppy cost more than a p

Post by Rahne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

Depends on the breeder. Most breeders don't charge more for breeding quality pups, they ask the same price for all pups no matter the gender/'quality'. I think there's only one breeder who does charge differently for gender/'quality'.

If you do decide to import... there's also other breeders in Europe outside of the UK who could export pups. Here's a list of all TDR registered breeders in Europe: http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/breeding/breeders/europe

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 am

Considering the dogs available as breeding dogs here in the US, which breeder from Europe would be the best option to get new blood over here? Some I know might be from alba, etc so which breeders should I avoid getting a puppy from so we don't risk trying to get relatives to mate. I'm trying to get this info ahead of time so I can plan acordingly. The last thing I wanna do is get a puppy that I want to breed with but won't be able to because I got one that is related to the dogs here, I'm sure inbreeding isn't what we're going for here lol.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 am

IMO, you may want to consider importing a outcross puppy. Reason being is because the US has a good mixture of the available bloodlines out there. Another male that I contemplated was Rann - he sired two litters: one with Tumanra and another with Heidi.

From the TDR website, there are 15 foundation dogs. Out of those 15 dogs, all except for Ziva, Jodie and Rann appear in the bloodlines in the US - those that are used for breeding anyway. Ziva is the most recent outcross and has not produced a litter yet.

Tarheel has two breeding dogs from outcross breedings: Jaeger vom Muensterland (Summer x Bobbi) and Blustag Yodel (Nanna x Jackal). Basalt also has a Nanna x Jackal male: Zephyr (he recently sired Hawthorne's 2013 litter). White Elk has two Saxon girls, of which, Rhea has just whelped a litter a few days ago with Hawthorne's Darwin as the sire; White Elk also has another female out of Zuul x Dingo (Aurielle) who is a good breeding prospect since there is not much Dingo blood in the US. But do remember Dingo is half-brother to Jackal. Conchur has a Alba girl (full sister to Tarheel's Blaze) and Mikko (Susi x Dingo). Sierra has a girl out of Blustag mating of Nevada x Jackal - she produced a singleton litter with Darwin as sire. Moonstone has a male from Nevada x Skye (Dylan) - he has sired two litters (2012 Hawthorne & 2013 Tamrakar).

I believe two JodiexJackal pups were imported to the US with the intent to use them for breeding, but sadly, both did not have passing hip scores. A HeidixBodie male (Loki) was imported to Canada - I believe he's a possible breeding prospect. If Loki is used for breeding, then he'll pretty much cover the Jodie line since she's his granddam. Tamrakar in Canada also has a full sister to Zephyr and Sequoia (Nanna x Jackal).

Of course, all of that ^^^^ is just if you're trying to find a pup from as diverse a line as possible in the US. :P I know there are a few US breeders who intend to request use of outcrosses in the next couple years, so that would help diversify the genepool immensely.

I'd say start talking to some breeders in Europe - do consult Debby at Sylvaen and Rahne at Wolfsbane as I think they have a pretty good idea of the Tamaskan lines out there and good potential breeding pairs swimming around in their heads. ;)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 am

arianwenarie wrote: I'd say start talking to some breeders in Europe - do consult Debby at Sylvaen and Rahne at Wolfsbane as I think they have a pretty good idea of the Tamaskan lines out there and good potential breeding pairs swimming around in their heads. ;)
Yep! I will be getting a puppy from Debby at Sylvaen, moving to the US in about 2.5 years and breeding :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Don't forget Wylie too arianwenarie, he's out of Darwin X Leilah which means more Jackal lines. Still not sure if he will be breeding.
balto13 wrote: Yep! I will be getting a puppy from Debby at Sylvaen, moving to the US in about 2.5 years and breeding :)
I thought it was you when she mentioned she'd be shipping a pup to Japan :D where in the USA will you be moving to?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 am

I tried looking up the offspring of Jodie and Rann but it says that none of the offspring had litters, unless I'm somehow not looking it up correctly lol. I wanted to know what breeders have that bloodline so that maybe I can consider that breeder to get fresh blood here but again; I don't know if I looked it up wrong or there aren't any liters lol. If someone knows please let me know because I'm sure I failed somehow lol.

I know the Ziva outcross mating didn't work out unfortunately but if they try again and I can see how the puppies look (see if they were successfully within the breed standard etc) then that could possibly be another option. I just want a puppy so badly! Once we are settled in our own house then getting a tamaskan puppy should be in reach within the next year. I just can't wait!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 am

JenTehLuv wrote:I tried looking up the offspring of Jodie and Rann but it says that none of the offspring had litters, unless I'm somehow not looking it up correctly lol. I wanted to know what breeders have that bloodline so that maybe I can consider that breeder to get fresh blood here but again; I don't know if I looked it up wrong or there aren't any liters lol. If someone knows please let me know because I'm sure I failed somehow lol.

I know the Ziva outcross mating didn't work out unfortunately but if they try again and I can see how the puppies look (see if they were successfully within the breed standard etc) then that could possibly be another option. I just want a puppy so badly! Once we are settled in our own house then getting a tamaskan puppy should be in reach within the next year. I just can't wait!
Out of Rann's offspring, only two of them have produced litters so far: Blustag Diamonds are Forever (Dallas) and Blustag Blue Rosalie (Leska). Leska's first litter was an outcross with a Marxerdorfer (Phayos). Leska's litter will be registered with the TDR with restrictions, I believe. Dallas's litter was with Dingo: Ollie stayed with Blustag, Mila is going to be used for breeding and I think Xantho will be too.

Out of Jodie's offspring, only Annu is approved to be used as a stud dog by the TDR. Blustag owns JJ, Bodie and Lynx (JodiexDingo). Bodie produced two litters, but only his first litter with Heidi was registered with the TDR - this was the Golden litter (Winter, Kona, Naima, Loki, Tika, Mabel and Jet). His second litter was with Nevada - only one so far is registered with the TDR after owner applied for registration; as a note, his litter with Nevada was after the Blus split off from the TDR.

Getting a pup from Mila may be a good choice as there's not a lot of Dingo in the US nor Rann. But like I said earlier, Dingo is Jackal's half-brother. The Tamaskan gene pool has a /bit/ too much Jackal blood. lol.

The pups from the Golden litter aren't quite old enough to be used for breeding, I don't think. On top of the fact that I think some folks have reservations about using pups from the Golden litter due to it being a close line breeding with Boogie (high content WD) doubled up and possible behavioral issues....?

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am

arianwenarie wrote:
JenTehLuv wrote:I tried looking up the offspring of Jodie and Rann but it says that none of the offspring had litters, unless I'm somehow not looking it up correctly lol. I wanted to know what breeders have that bloodline so that maybe I can consider that breeder to get fresh blood here but again; I don't know if I looked it up wrong or there aren't any liters lol. If someone knows please let me know because I'm sure I failed somehow lol.

Out of Rann's offspring, only two of them have produced litters so far: Blustag Diamonds are Forever (Dallas) and Blustag Blue Rosalie (Leska). Leska's first litter was an outcross with a Marxerdorfer (Phayos). Leska's litter will be registered with the TDR with restrictions, I believe. Dallas's litter was with Dingo: Ollie stayed with Blustag, Mila is going to be used for breeding and I think Xantho will be too.

Out of Jodie's offspring, only Annu is approved to be used as a stud dog by the TDR. Blustag owns JJ, Bodie and Lynx (JodiexDingo). Bodie produced two litters, but only his first litter with Heidi was registered with the TDR - this was the Golden litter (Winter, Kona, Naima, Loki, Tika, Mabel and Jet). His second litter was with Nevada - only one so far is registered with the TDR after owner applied for registration; as a note, his litter with Nevada was after the Blus split off from the TDR.

Getting a pup from Mila may be a good choice as there's not a lot of Dingo in the US nor Rann. But like I said earlier, Dingo is Jackal's half-brother. The Tamaskan gene pool has a /bit/ too much Jackal blood. lol.

The pups from the Golden litter aren't quite old enough to be used for breeding, I don't think. On top of the fact that I think some folks have reservations about using pups from the Golden litter due to it being a close line breeding with Boogie (high content WD) doubled up and possible behavioral issues....?
It wasn't leska but Cheyenne (Blustag Sunsprite)... this litter was approved by the TDR but the owner has not registered these puppies and I do not think they will be either (Not getting a response to the email I sent them.)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am

AZDehlin wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:

It wasn't leska but Cheyenne (Blustag Sunsprite)... this litter was approved by the TDR but the owner has not registered these puppies and I do not think they will be either (Not getting a response to the email I sent them.)
I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:10 am

Consider contacting the owner of Kira (Chrissi) who is out of the Rann x Heidi litter.
Depending on who they intend on breeding her with (I would really hope for someone like Ayasca) an offspring of hers could really be a prospect for the US breeding programme
>> Nino <<

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 am

Right now the best match I can figure out would be a pup with Bear (Alba's outcross boy) and either Leska or Cheyenne as a dam. Since that'll give the most diverse blood to the U.S lines as far as I can tell. Though I highly doubt they will go to other countries or use AI to get the girls pregnant :(

Is there other options? :? The only breeders I hope to breed with in the U.S are with Hawthrones, Tarheel, White Elk, Hitenshi, Moondance (if Teyah has approved health testing). Considering the lines that their bitches have are there any other options I can use to get non-related blood from overseas? My head spins whenever I try and figure out which would be the best combination to get the ideal puppy from :oops: