health tests for breeding

All topics pertaining to mating and whelping, as well as upcoming / planned litters.
Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: health tests for breeding

Post by Tarheel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 am

At one time we required cerf Eye exams annually. No dogs ever had any eye issues, so we no longer have it as a requirement.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Juneau has suffered from some sort of eye disease which cause his retinas to detach. He will be on prednisone for life. We have a return visit with the optimologist tues and I will try and get more info if the disease has a specific name. They didn't know what caused it the first time but since it has repeated again I would suspect its something genetic maybe.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Sky, this sounds like PRA maybe? Progressive Retinal Atrophy? Please keep us posted, and thank you for sharing. Of course--good luck at your appointment on Tuesday.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:20 pm

On another note--has anyone tested their Tam for pituitary dwarfism? I know this was brought up before because of the malamute in the Tam background, but I just found out it is also a concern in the CSV. I guess the test is only done in Europe now, and it has been developed for German Shepherds, Sarloos and CSVs. Not sure where this would leave us...but: opinions on this test? I guess it's only available at the University of Utrecht.
What are the symptoms of pituitary dwarfism? (here I go--off to surf the web...)

[edit: add info below]

http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-pituitary ... ome.html#b

small in size, though no foreshortening of limbs, often sterile, sometimes permanent teeth never come in, etc. A recessive gene. Puppy must receive two copies of the recessive gene to suffer from pituitary dwarfism.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Hawthorne wrote:On another note--has anyone tested their Tam for pituitary dwarfism? I know this was brought up before because of the malamute in the Tam background, but I just found out it is also a concern in the CSV. I guess the test is only done in Europe now, and it has been developed for German Shepherds, Sarloos and CSVs. Not sure where this would leave us...but: opinions on this test? I guess it's only available at the University of Utrecht.
What are the symptoms of pituitary dwarfism? (here I go--off to surf the web...)

[edit: add info below]

http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-pituitary ... ome.html#b

small in size, though no foreshortening of limbs, often sterile, sometimes permanent teeth never come in, etc. A recessive gene. Puppy must receive two copies of the recessive gene to suffer from pituitary dwarfism.
I'm not sure if there are any results back yet but several German/Dutch Tam owners were going to have it done. In the past Debby had taken blood of Jasper and Vixen for this testing but it never ended up in the lab because of miscommunications :?

As far as I know there haven't been any dwarf Tamaskan born but you never know what Lynn & Jennie have kept hidden...

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 am

Nino wrote:That is mighty good of you to do Lynwae even though it might not be necessary.

I acturally also was with the thought that I would be going with Laboklin.. I really think we need to make that information page :lol:
At the moment I am just waiting for the forms for BVA - when other people have contacted BVA have you gotten a reply?
I used the mail that is here on the forum, but I haven't heard anything after writing them around 14 days ago and then 12 days after again..
I find it rather frustrating, they could as a minimum reply...
I emailed BVA sunday and got a reply the next day.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 am

susann wrote:
Nino wrote:That is mighty good of you to do Lynwae even though it might not be necessary.

I acturally also was with the thought that I would be going with Laboklin.. I really think we need to make that information page :lol:
At the moment I am just waiting for the forms for BVA - when other people have contacted BVA have you gotten a reply?
I used the mail that is here on the forum, but I haven't heard anything after writing them around 14 days ago and then 12 days after again..
I find it rather frustrating, they could as a minimum reply...
I emailed BVA sunday and got a reply the next day.
What contact do you have? I've emailed Sandra on two separate occasions (for Freyja's and then for Darwins) and she always responds.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:51 am

Sandra is fast to reply, but my contact have now mostly been going through Leonie, she can be a bit slow, but she was the one handeling my details.

I got reply yesterday that my x-rays (well obviously not MINE) were recieved yesterday and my card information added to them.
And then that the scoring time at the moment are around 3 weeks.. So I'm guessing with postal time it's maybe 4+ weeks from now..

Sigh the wait
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:16 am

Hello!
Does anyone know what the coding stands for on the Scidera DNA parentage certificates? There are a series of pairs of letters under the bar code. We now have Freyjas and Darwins here--and there are three pairs that match. I would expect this because they are related. I also have a copy of Dylans--and Darwin and Dylan share a different pair.
Hmm... besides this, though, I wonder what the letters mean..
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hello!
Does anyone know what the coding stands for on the Scidera DNA parentage certificates? There are a series of pairs of letters under the bar code. We now have Freyjas and Darwins here--and there are three pairs that match. I would expect this because they are related. I also have a copy of Dylans--and Darwin and Dylan share a different pair.
I think I remember a topic on here that talked about this... I can try and look for it.

Just wait and see how Raven's DNA compares to Dylan and Freyja's DNA :)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 am

http://www.mmigenomics.com/k9parentage.pdf

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 am

Does anybody know anything about testing for STDs? Apart from brucellosis? Should dogs and bitches be tested before mating when a stud dog that is not your own is used?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am

Rahne wrote:
http://www.mmigenomics.com/k9parentage.pdf
Thanks. I was looking for a little more, as usual. :lol: How many possible letters are there? I see 6: A-G. Is that all?
skyedream wrote:Does anybody know anything about testing for STDs? Apart from brucellosis? Should dogs and bitches be tested before mating when a stud dog that is not your own is used?
I've only tested for brucellosis. What other tests are you referring to? (just curious)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 am

STD's is what I am aware something that is more of a problem in regions of the world and normally with dogs that have mated before..
Ex. Bruselliosis (spelled - cant copy I'm on the phone) isn't a problem here..
And normally we don't need to test.. But would I use ex a dog from Finland I would have to swab it beforehand to make sure it was healthy :-)
>> Nino <<

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 pm

http://www.vetinfo.com/sexually-transmi ... -dogs.html

Just Googled this quickly. Looks like canine herpesvirus is one to worry about as it's a common problem, minimal symptoms and it can kill pups in the womb.

If either the stud or bitch owner was to insist on this test being done should they be expected to pay for it? Or should each party just pay for their own dog?

EDIT: And I know that dogs who are virgins will not have STDs but how can you guarantee that your dog has not been infected if it has had brief sexual contact? If a dog has mounted a bitch (for example whilst on an off lead walk) even just for a moment or two then surely there is a chance that they have been infected?

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Canine Herpes can be transmitted in other ways then sexual contact, licking and sniffing for example. You can't test for this disease, what you can do is vaccinate the bitch AND make sure the pups are warm enough by using heath lamps etc.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm

skyedream wrote: If either the stud or bitch owner was to insist on this test being done should they be expected to pay for it? Or should each party just pay for their own dog?
I paid for my female to be tested for brucillosis, and Teresa paid for her male to be tested. Neither had been bred before. Perhaps it is a bit over cautious--but the consequences are too great, in my opinion. And it seems to me, it can be spread by casual contact:

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets ... _canis.pdf
"In dogs, B. canis is mainly transmitted by contact with the fetus and fetal membranes after abortions/stillbirths, or by venereal transmission. This organism primarily enters the body by ingestion and through the genital, oronasal and conjunctival mucosa, but transmission through broken skin may also be possible. In utero infections occur. Nursing puppies can be infected from milk, but the importance of this route is controversial. Other potential sources of infection include blood transfusions and contaminated syringes. Dogs often become chronically infected with B. canis and can shed this organism for prolonged periods. Although some dogs clear the infection after a year, others remain bacteremic for five years and possibly longer."
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:16 pm

if the dogs is wished to be tested I think it would be fair that you pay for the dog you own..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 am

What email did you guys use to contact the BVA? I contacted them over a week ago and have yet to get a reply.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 am

AZDehlin wrote:What email did you guys use to contact the BVA? I contacted them over a week ago and have yet to get a reply.
I had to contact them twice and in the second one ask for a reply so that I knew they had gotten the mail - they first sent the forms after second time too :roll:

I believe LeonieL@bva.co.uk is the one you should contact but if she is too slow (which by my experience she can be taking her time - probably because she gets a lot of mails)

if Leonie doesn't answer try SandraW@bva.co.uk - she was quite fast to reply but doesn't seem to be the person doing the work. :)
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Nino wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:What email did you guys use to contact the BVA? I contacted them over a week ago and have yet to get a reply.
I had to contact them twice and in the second one ask for a reply so that I knew they had gotten the mail - they first sent the forms after second time too :roll:

I believe LeonieL@bva.co.uk is the one you should contact but if she is too slow (which by my experience she can be taking her time - probably because she gets a lot of mails)

if Leonie doesn't answer try SandraW@bva.co.uk - she was quite fast to reply but doesn't seem to be the person doing the work. :)

Thank You!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:04 pm

First off, my apologies for bringing up an old thread...

I had read somewhere (don't remember where) that hip scoring doesn't have to by BVA, but can be done through other entities (OFA, PennHip, etc). Is this true or is it still the case where all Tams must be scored through BVA?

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:26 pm

arianwenarie wrote:First off, my apologies for bringing up an old thread...

I had read somewhere (don't remember where) that hip scoring doesn't have to by BVA, but can be done through other entities (OFA, PennHip, etc). Is this true or is it still the case where all Tams must be scored through BVA?
Well we do strongly prefer BVA... but we don't want to miss out on otherwise good breeding dogs just because they have been scored by OFA or FCI etc. So we will accept scores done by other then BVA, unless we have doubts that the scoring hasn't been done properly (then we might request to re-do them trough BVA).

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm

While I know the general differences between the OFA and BVA, because I've never seen a BVA paper myself, I was wondering if it would be possible for someone here to post a comparison side-by-side of a BVA paper and OFA paper (basically comparing what they each should look like).

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Tiantai wrote:While I know the general differences between the OFA and BVA, because I've never seen a BVA paper myself, I was wondering if it would be possible for someone here to post a comparison side-by-side of a BVA paper and OFA paper (basically comparing what they each should look like).
Here's a BVA paper:
scannen0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Thank you Rahne :)

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

Ad pituitary dwarfism: it can be tested, results for Saarlooses and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs that were made public are published here along with info on the illness: http://www.wolfdog-healthinfo.org/english.html

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 am

Czertice wrote:Ad pituitary dwarfism: it can be tested, results for Saarlooses and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs that were made public are published here along with info on the illness: http://www.wolfdog-healthinfo.org/english.html
It is not required (so long as no carriers are found) but several breeders/stud dog owners have tested for it and so far all clear :)

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 am

Rahne wrote:
Czertice wrote:Ad pituitary dwarfism: it can be tested, results for Saarlooses and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs that were made public are published here along with info on the illness: http://www.wolfdog-healthinfo.org/english.html
It is not required (so long as no carriers are found) but several breeders/stud dog owners have tested for it and so far all clear :)
That is very good!
A breeder who had a litter with dwarfs in it told me that the pups would not drink after the birth, often the dwarfs would not survive the first days and the difference in development may not be immediately apparent. Only after some time (if they survive) you start to see that the dwarfs are not developing normally. They don't live long even with growth hormone treatment, which is expensive, not to mention close to impossible to obtain. Their fur is abnormal, they don't fully grow even on treatment, they are seriously sick for life.
But they look so cute when small, the breeder told me that some people even offered her extra money for the dwarf pups, seeing how cute they were... It's great that the test has recently been developed, so that no more of these dwarfs need to be born.