Daily mileage?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Daily mileage?

Post by Balto » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am

For those that don´t know i have a Siberian Husky, and i´m planning to do some 2-3 days bycicle trip..
And i´m wondering what is the daily mileage that dog like siberian husky can run off..?

We are often on bike, he has 3 walks a day, first is on a bike about 30min - 45min, usually 3-5km including off leash sniffing around, second walk is about 30min off leash sniffing around without bike, and last walk is about 1,5 hour on bike including visiting our dog park where he plays with his buddys, on last walk we usually make about 10km.
He mostly trot, but have some parts where he likes to sprint, i think his average speed at trot is about 6-8 km/h.

I was thinking to ride about 20-30km a day in two walks, first one in the morning 10-15km, and second one just before the dark 10-15km... is that maybe too much?

Has anyone try something similarly?

Aislinn2204
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Daily mileage?

Post by Aislinn2204 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi,

I often go cycling with Cody.
A distance from about 22 Kilometers is no problem for him.

Your dog is accustoms to biking every day.
And at last you have a siberian husky...they love it to run.
I don't think that's a problem.

Many greetings
Marko

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Balto wrote:I was thinking to ride about 20-30km a day in two walks, first one in the morning 10-15km, and second one just before the dark 10-15km... is that maybe too much?

Has anyone try something similarly?
It shouldn't be a problem, but it is a good idea to build up the time/distance gradually (to develop muscles and endurance) otherwise, if the dog is only used to shorter distances / periods of exercise, the dog will be really exhausted afterward. Just like if you are used to jogging 5k every morning and suddenly you have to run a marathon... you would probably be able to manage it, but you wouldn't be in the best possible condition to handle it with ease.

I think you will have a lot of fun though, where are you planning to go for these bicycle trips? :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Well much lie what Debby said about building the distance, to me it's much like introducing a new employee to a 12 hour shift schedule basically, they may get exhausted on their first two shifts. That happened to me when I was working at Celestica. Although I got used to the schedule, it was difficult to keep up. I would slowly build the time of the laps but not want to go too far too quickly. While I personally enjoy marathons, I don't think putting a biking trip and having the dog run far would be a good idea but that's just my personal opinion.

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

My malinois has no problems with such a distance (20-30km), running with me or cycling, but really, I'm slowly lengthen the distance. She goes with me on long trips (walking in the mountains, 50-70km/day,2-3 days), no problem. It is good to him, that you work out on the same basis, where you will cycling then (macadam, forest roads, asphalt), where I would not be exaggerating with asphalt.

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 pm

he can make 15km in about 1,5 hour with no problem.. but we will make some long distance trainings before we go.. i recently got new phone so with sports tracker application i can track speed and distance..

@Tana - do you take Tana also on such trips?

@Debby - we are going on Dugi otok (Long island) in Zadar archipelago, on its northern part to visit

Veli Žal...

Saharun...

and Veli Rat...
http://www.zadar.hr/upload/tbl_clanci/v ... 141350.jpg

and maybe Brbišćica cave...

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Balto wrote:@Tana - do you take Tana also on such trips?
Not yet, she is still too young. We are in the preparation stage :)

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 am

I run with my Tamaskan, I am a marathon runner and when I first started running with her, I'd only do like a 5K with her then as she got older I'd slowly work her up to where our long runs are now about 15 miles. On average we run about 20+ miles a week (anywhere between a 5k - 8 miles during the week, farther distances on the weekend) during my training seasons. She trots the whole time beside me at a good pace. :)

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

Tana wrote:
Balto wrote:@Tana - do you take Tana also on such trips?
Not yet, she is still too young. We are in the preparation stage :)
poor Tana :D how old is she?

one girl from Croatia traveled the world with bike and her Swiss shepered, but she is using a trailer for dog
https://www.facebook.com/happinessaroundtheworld

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Haha come and ask her, she would say, I can't wait to long hikes ;)
Balto wrote:one girl from Croatia traveled the world with bike and her Swiss shepered, but she is using a trailer for dog
https://www.facebook.com/happinessaroundtheworld
O this is life! Her dog looks so pleased and calm. Must be very happy to travel with his owner.
Balto wrote: how old is she?
Almost 18 months.

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:13 am

Maybe we will go to trekking race on island of Pašman called Škraping http://www.skraping.hr/
there are 3 categories, Ultra - 40km, Light - 20km, and Đir - 10km, the distance is not strictly because you chose your on way by map and compas, we will take Light, Balto is in good shape, he can easily run 20km, but im not in jogging condition :D
i plan to walk and jogg for a little bit, last years winners in Light category finished race for about 3 hours..
start is at 9:00 and limit is at 16:00

Aislinn2204
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Aislinn2204 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 pm

much success :D

greetings
Marko