Know it alls

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Know it alls

Post by chelle784 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 am

Does anyone else have other dog owners (usually those who you have never met before) try and tell you about your dog and what it needs? I think maybe it is because Pepper looks a lot like a husky but I get lots of people telling me how much excercise my 'husky' needs and although she doesn't pull on the leash right now 'she will' when she is bigger. When people tell me I have to make sure i give her the excercise she needs I sometimes say yes I know - this is the reason she goes out 6 times a day but I shouldn't have to justify anything. I think it may be also the fact that i am 5ft, so some people prbs think I wont be able to handle her (as my husband doesn't get these comments). I was wondering does anyone else have other dog owners try and tell them how to raise their dogs? General tips and advice are fine and welcome but its the things that are said without knowing anything about pepper that annoy me (such as what she is going to turn out like/ what i should be doing even though they have no idea what I am doing). Also none of them have heard of a tamaskan.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Know it alls

Post by firleymj » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 am

'Chelle

I sometimes encounter people who are free with well-meaning but completely pointless advice. I'm usually respectful of other owners (especially of artic breeds) - most of them seem curious about my Tamaskan - though my long-suffering lady does the occasional eye roll when we're interrupted at an outdoor café for the 20th time in a night to explain what he is [not a wolf, not a husky]

I usually deflect some of the husky/malamute guesses with "You're close, in the right family tree, but the wrong branch, Kona's a Tamaskan, a breed unto itself." If the conversation that follows that is pleasant, I usually play along with my set speech about him. :P

The folks who know not anything in the dog world are either (a) sincere in wanting to know, but unaware of us or (b) insufferable opinion generators who would go on windbagging it forever - but since I live next to Washington, DC, that class (b) includes all of Congress and just about all of the Executive Branch. :lol:

I can live with (a) but I will shut down (b) quickly, depending on circumstances. At 4 months at 50+ pounds (23+kg) , he's big enough to casually remark, "wait till he grows up, but no, you'd give him indigestion, forget about that...." :)
I can be a misery when I need to :lol:

Don't be discouraged. I've had to learn to explain him in languages I don't speak so the locals can calm down. I really want one of those parody English shirts with the Crown logo and make it read "Keep Calm and Beware the Owner, not the Tamaskan!" The advantage of being 1.86m and 96kg myself. :ugeek:

And for the record, sarcasm can work wonders in fending off morons. And if they're too lazy/inept to "get it" then you have the joy of delivering your thoughts with a quill dipped not in ink, but in vitriol.

The truth is that most people are nice, and I really love being a breed ambassador - when you have a dog as special as your Pepper or my Kona, it's hard NOT to share the joy they bring. (And being a little overenthusiastic does tend to get casual bloviators moving :) )

Guilty pleasure: I've also trained Kona to respond to a little Lakhotan, so I have the advantage of giving a command in other than English. Fries their brains when demonstrated - although he won't do it without a handy liver treat :lol: But hey, that's why they make cargo shorts and perhaps in your case, a carry bag. :P

In the immortal words of Red Green "I'm pullin' fer ya!"
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:35 pm

chelle784 wrote:Does anyone else have other dog owners (usually those who you have never met before) try and tell you about your dog and what it needs? I think maybe it is because Pepper looks a lot like a husky but I get lots of people telling me how much excercise my 'husky' needs and although she doesn't pull on the leash right now 'she will' when she is bigger. When people tell me I have to make sure i give her the excercise she needs I sometimes say yes I know - this is the reason she goes out 6 times a day but I shouldn't have to justify anything. I think it may be also the fact that i am 5ft, so some people prbs think I wont be able to handle her (as my husband doesn't get these comments). I was wondering does anyone else have other dog owners try and tell them how to raise their dogs? General tips and advice are fine and welcome but its the things that are said without knowing anything about pepper that annoy me (such as what she is going to turn out like/ what i should be doing even though they have no idea what I am doing). Also none of them have heard of a tamaskan.

I get this all the time... Some people are know it alls. I am also 5ft and people think I am crazy when they see me walking Zephyr and Noque together. (2 year old Zephyr is 28 inches tall and 81 pounds and 8 month old Noque is 29 inches and 73 pounds) Zephyr is good at pulling me around single handed but I also have him in harness pulling year round because he is very good at it. Gave away the walking nice on a leash for the Sled dogging. Noque has a good tug as well but he is very good at heeling if I ask him. People still look at me nuts even though I am fully capable of keeping control of them.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 pm

You'll get used to it... ;)

I have 14 dogs. 2 tamaskan, 3 coydogs, 1 malamute and the rest husky. And still people tend to ask me if I realize how much work a husky is :lol:
They usually shut up when Itell them I got a pretty good idea by the time we had 10 of them :mrgreen:

kellydejean
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kellydejean » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:51 am

Although I haven't had this issue with a tamaskan yet (still waiting another month is :D) I have had it with the current fur ball. I have a Catahoula Leopard Dog and people are constantly telling me she is everything from an australian shepard (they clearly mean australian cattle dog) to a whippet hound mix. I've heard probably 20+ different dog mixes/types and only 3 people have ever correctly identified her without help. I know it will happen up here when we get our puppy, its arctic breed land in alaska so I'm expecting a lot of husky, arctic mutt, etc. assumptions.

I generally go firleymj's route. If it is an innocent interested person I humor them and share our story about her and info about that breed, but I get exceedingly sarcastic with the second type that whats to keep me standing in a random isle in home depot telling me that my 65 lb, long legged, exceedingly long tailed, short haired, hound faced dog is an australian shepard and I am mistaken (even after the assist that I offered of owning an australian shepard in the past). That guy got a who lot of sarcasm that 5 staff members were chuckling about and he still didn't get - they even rescued us by saying that they had my order at the front of the store and asking if there was anything else I needed.

I'm 5ish feet as well and I'm sure when I have a full grown tamaskan on a lead along with my Catahoula I'm going to get quite a few people telling me that he's going to start pulling and I should make sure I work my dog properly and train it well enough that it wont be a danger to me or anyone else (rolls eyes).

like the others said you find ways to deal because it happens a lot no matter the breed or where you live :)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Keep Calm and Beware the Owner.jpg
Even fools deserve fair warning! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 am

Haha thanks guys for your replies and the tips! Most people are fine / genuinely interested - it is just the odd one or two people but I know I shouldn't let it get to me!

aerowrx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by aerowrx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 am

I'm curious if other dog owners would follow on by calling the Tamaskan a mutt and not an actual breed? When is a breed really a breed and not a mutt? From a evolutionary standpoint I fail to see the black and white line.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 am

I call them just "wolfdog" or "wolfdog mutt" most of the time :oops:

Several reasons:
1) Tired of explaining over and over again what a tamaskan is
2) After all the mess that was created by some well-known breeders, I didnt wanted to be associated with them or the breed.
3) They are no breed... My principles tells me to not call them as such. Let them establish some more first.
4) Somehow I dont feel comfortable in a position where I could be the person who "pushes" people into wanting a tamaskan. When they find them on their own and ask me if they can meet mine, sure. But I dont want to be the person who brought the idea upon them.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:07 pm

aerowrx wrote:When is a breed really a breed and not a mutt?
If you follow the rules of the FCI when they allow our cross for saving a breed.....after 5 generations from the outcross and those only straight back to the pure breed. So if you start a breed with only being mixes....I think you can call it a breed after 10/15 generations

Or just like we do just start now and see who has the longer voice in that :twisted: :mrgreen: Bet we win :twisted: :mrgreen:

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm

My response is that they are a breed unto themselves, but that it's so small and so new, we're still petitioning for "recognition" from the major organizations. While true, that also leaves them enough up in the air not to follow up.

Also, with the advent of smart phones, they can find all that out on Wikipedia in seconds if they're that interested :lol:

aerowrx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by aerowrx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:50 pm

J/W what's to prevent the out crossing to end up looking like Northern Inuit or Utonogan? Its already heard to tell them apart

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

aerowrx wrote:J/W what's to prevent the out crossing to end up looking like Northern Inuit or Utonogan? Its already heard to tell them apart
I believe at this time, outcrosses must still be approved by the TDR Committee before they will received limited TDR registration. Once the outcross litter(s) are mature (2-3 years old, I believe), then they will be evaluated by the TDR Committee to be considered for either full TDR registration or remain as limited TDR registration.