Canadian Indian Husky

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Canadian Indian Husky

Post by Jamille » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:24 am

Last week my family and I road-tripped to Canmore/Banff, Alberta. I wanted to go on a tour by Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours, but couldn't make it (spent too much time at Lake Louise :roll: ) Anyways, I was checking out their website and stumbled across the Canadian Indian Husky.
The Canadian Indian Husky is indigenous to Northern America. They are the closest living relative to the coyote and were used by the mid and southern First Nations people for transporting camps and servicing trap lines. The Canadian Indian husky was the first breed used for speed racing. Even our Alaskan huskies, bred from our bloodlines, come from this Canadian Indian husky line. The First Nation’s people would hold races in their villages with their Indian huskies, to receive the title of having the fastest dogs. European explorers, who witnessed these races, began breeding their own racing breeds. Soon the Indian husky fell under the radar as they were being mixed with greyhounds and shorthaired pointers. The Siberian husky also fell victim to the cross breeding program which left a lot of people saying “Why fix something when it’s not broken?” We are one of the very few sled dog kennels in the world that still preserves a pure line of Canadian Indian Huskies. Canadian Indian Huskies have long legs and long bodies which make it easy for this breed to run through deep snow at a high speed. The Indian Husky is the all around fastest pure breed for short and long distances. They are the most humble and calm of the husky breeds and they usually tend to be the best leaders since they are so responsive to any command given by the dog sledder. You do not have to teach this breed loyalty, they just come that way naturally! This breed is the least known of the husky breeds but is definitely the best in our professional opinion. We have been running five different breeds since 1983 and find that the Indian Huskies have the best qualities of cooperation without arguing. They are fast, have the best endurance, have a weather proof coat, have tough feet, are extremely responsive, calm, respectful, smart as a whip, powerful, and indigenous to this area which makes it easy for them to adapt to whatever Mother Nature dishes out in the prairies and mountains! The Indian Huskies are very easy to teach and are very family oriented. They seem to be emotionally attached to their owner more so than any other breed we’ve had the pleasure of training. All our dogs are emotionally connected to us…but the Indian Huskies are different. Where we need to teach our other huskies manners in being off leash, we do not have to teach the Indian husky. Ours will heal next to us consistently, maybe getting within 7 feet from you at the most. The Canadian Indian Husky is a bit smaller than the Arctic breeds. The females range in size from 40lbs-60lbs and the males from 50-70 lbs. Their colors range from jet black, black with white, black with reddish tan or reddish cream, reddish tan or cream and greyish brown, which seem to be the most common in our kennel. They also have a double layered coat which is completely weather proof.
They're beautiful dogs and sound like an overall awesome breed. But I can't find anything more about them than whats on the Snowy Owl Website. Has anyone else heard of this breed? I would love to know more, and I really wish I could've met the dogs in person :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Canadian Indian Husky

Post by Katlin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 am

I've heard of these guys :) They are all very nice looking dogs and I like the looks of the black one! I think the piebald would be a problem though...and I think there are already enough of the husky characteristics that we are trying to get rid of (prey drive and curly tails, etc).

Wish I knew you were so close to me, you could have come met myself and my Tamaskan :/
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 am

Here are some pics of Canadian Indian Husky crosses :D
Katlin wrote:I've heard of these guys :) They are all very nice looking dogs and I like the looks of the black one! I think the piebald would be a problem though...and I think there are already enough of the husky characteristics that we are trying to get rid of (prey drive and curly tails, etc).

Wish I knew you were so close to me, you could have come met myself and my Tamaskan :/
I agree with you about all the husky traits, I wasn't really thinking about a possible outcross, just a possible future pack member! :D
I would've loved to come and meet you and Wylie, but it was such a hectic week (we went to Saskatoon for a wedding), I don't know if we would've had the time to visit :( My dad actually thought I wanted to go to the tour because there would be Tamaskans there :lol: He lost a bit of interest when I told him there wouldn't be any there :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Sounds a "little"bit as a contradictio in term... closest to coyote versus humbly, calm, easy to teach... etc

Whispyr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whispyr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:12 am

I'm wondering if the color's on Leonardo and Zuni would be considered unacceptable by TDR

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:08 am

Whispyr wrote:I'm wondering if the color's on Leonardo and Zuni would be considered unacceptable by TDR
They're not very wolfy looking colours so I would imagine not.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:
Whispyr wrote:I'm wondering if the color's on Leonardo and Zuni would be considered unacceptable by TDR
They're not very wolfy looking colours so I would imagine not.
Zuni probably not, Leonardo isn't too bad looking to me ;) I think most of these dogs look like Hedlunds