how to get dog urine stains and oder out of things -help!

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

how to get dog urine stains and oder out of things -help!

Post by balto13 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 am

My dog had a UTI and she pee'd on the couch and our bed. I have tried a bunch of different things (desperately) to get the urine stain and smell out while it was fresh - to my dismay - that didn't work. Anybody have any good ideas how to get urine stains out of couches and beds? Our furniture was given to us on loan by the military and "arm and leg" is an understatement of how much it will cost when we return it in this state :shock: :? :oops: :cry:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: how to get dog urine stains and oder out of things -help

Post by Katlin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 am

;) https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw ... +furniture

I'm not sure, but google should have some good tricks for you.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 am

google was the first place I went running to :lol:

I was hoping that somebody here would have some first hand experience of something that worked for them

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Because of Rukia's separation anxiety from my husband, she used to pee on our bed while we were gone (if I was home, she would sneak into the bedroom if I was not watching, now the door is always closed and they have no access in there while we are gone), and she would also go on the couch, quite frustrating. For our bed, we tried many things, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol (husbands ideas), some Arm & Hammer plus Oxi Clean carpet odor eliminator (a powder you sprinkle on the surface and let set for 30 minutes before vacuuming up). We now have a tarp tied over it in case she has another accident on it (regular "water-proof" sheets either tore or did not work), I don't smell anything on it now.
For the couches, I feel like I've tried everything, the powder stuff, regular baking soda, vinegar, store bought stuff specifically for odor and stain removing, nothing worked :( still smells really bad and I have not invited anyone over because of it. We got lucky that one of my managers was giving away his couches, so we got those and threw away the others.

Don't know how well those methods will work without making the furniture look seriously used or possibly ruining the fabric, can only wish you luck there :(

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:22 pm

For the bed mattress I would suggest Clorox. Maybe mix with a little water and, depending on how deep you think the urine went you might want to pour it slowly to reach deep. Only problem here is you would need to soak up as much as possible and let dry. That could take time if you're in a humid area. Of course this may not be the best fapproach for the couch. ;) :roll: :cry:

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 am

Vinegar based cleaner usually foes it for me, basically anything which has ammonia in it, as it supposely neutralizes the odor of urine.

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

We have to clean up cat vomit on occasion because our cat has FIV and not everything agrees with his stomach all the time. Back when I was still working at Petsmart, I asked one of my co-workers what actually works for those kind of stains and such because we live in an apartment and any damage our cats cause we have to pay for. He recommended to me the Pawsitively Clean line from Bissell (I got "dang!" since it was specifically for vomit, but he said that pretty much all of their products do what they're supposed to). I know that the one I got is really effective at removing stains, even if they've been there for a little while. Sometimes it takes more than one application, but it does work. Heck, I've even used it when my husband accidentally cut himself and got blood all over one of our blankets (although that's not what it's really intended for so it may not work quite as well for that).
-Crystal

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm

We've got a couple of cleaners hier in the NL that ( claims to) break down the chemical structure of urine. That way the odor disappears.
It is actually made in the USA...

http://www.urineoff.eu/

I never had to use it, but it seems ( by what other tell me) to work pretty good.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:08 pm

First off, it's spelled "odour" in English, not "oder" ;)

I had limited understandings of the different chemicals at one time but I figured that using Arm and Hammer Clean Shower worked VERY WELL on getting off Buddy's urine stain. :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Tiantai wrote:First off, it's spelled "odour" in English, not "oder" ;)
This is incorrect. "Odor" is the US (American) spelling and "Odour" is the UK (British) spelling - both are perfectly acceptable in the English language.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Yes, sorry... We learnt UK English at school. Even got an F on a test if we used US English ;)

So, even tho I use a lot of US English nowadays, sometimes it is hard to forget or use the UK spelling.
Think I mixed them together a lot :lol:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Oh crud, how did I trigger THIS discussion :oops:
Sylvaen wrote:
This is incorrect. "Odor" is the US (American) spelling and "Odour" is the UK (British) spelling - both are perfectly acceptable in the English language.
:lol:
Thanks Debby though I wouldn't say that my correction was incorrect considering that I was correcting the original spelling "oder" in the title which is incorrect. You are right in which there is a difference between the UK/Canadian and the US spelling though. Of course, I AM Canadian so I guess I do sometimes forget about the various spellings from the neighbour US sometimes.
Karen wrote:Yes, sorry... We learnt UK English at school. Even got an F on a test if we used US English ;)

So, even tho I use a lot of US English nowadays, sometimes it is hard to forget or use the UK spelling.
Think I mixed them together a lot :lol:
Don't worry Karen, there ARE various spellings in the English language generally speaking. Although the accents of Canadians such as myself may "sound" close to US Americans when speaking, our spellings are still 90% identical to the UK. However, now that you mentioned it, I also got in trouble in grade 3 when I accidentally spelled "realise" on a spelling test in UK English instead of "realize" in Canadian English. Anyways, off topic so I'll just stop there :mrgreen:

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Tiantai wrote:Oh crud, how did I trigger THIS discussion :oops:

:lol:

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 am

I had limited understandings of the different chemicals at one time but I figured that using Arm and Hammer Clean Shower worked VERY WELL on getting off Buddy's urine stain. :D

my incorrect spelling isn't what's staining the couch ;)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am

now, on to the furniture to try some of these things! thank you all for your suggestions, keep'em up if you have a super duper awesome thing in mind.

On a more positive note, our personal furniture will be arriving tomorrow!! :D