Nightmares?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Nightmares?

Post by Tatzel » Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Did you ever think any of your dog has nightmares, and if yes, what do you do?

Monobi usually sleeps quietly, sometimes he twitches with his limbs like any dog does, but occasionally he makes these frantic sounding noises.
Here's a video of a dog doing the exact same noises:

Any ideas?
I usually wake him up softly by calling his name or giving him a few strokes, and he always looks at me with that "What." expression.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Nightmares?

Post by arianwenarie » Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Sometimes, my dog twitches and "yips" - her face also twitches a little too! Her legs will move as if she's running around the yard, but just a little bit, not full on movement of the legs.

I like to think she's having a good dream chasing rabbits in the yard. Haha. If it gets a little intense, I do touch her on the nose - she usually wakes up all droopy eyed (means she was in a deep sleep).

I made the mistake of nudging her in the shoulder when she did this one time - her mouth made instant contact with my forearm. It's those times that I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally glad she has good bite inhibition. She literally just grabbed my arm, registered it was me and let go - all within a matter of one or two seconds. No pressure on her bite - nothing. Me? I was startled... Haha.

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 am

My cat seems to have nightmares sometimes, too. He'll be sleeping and then he just starts twitching and such. I'll usually wake him up and cuddle him for a while when I see that happen. Then he's fine and usually goes right back to sleep.
-Crystal

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 am

:lol: I remember this one time my Mona Lisa seemed like she was having this crazy dream one night, she was kind barking and trying to run in her sleep and twitching a bit and since she was on my bed the whole thing was shaking, so I gently rubbed her cheek and she snapped awake real quick and snapped at me. But as soon as she realized what happened her ears dropped and she just had this look to her like "I'm so sorry momma" :D I just petted her and was like "awe did my baby have a bad dream" :D That was the only time she's done that, any other time she has her crazy dreams and I wake her up, she just gives me the droopy tired look so I think that one time she might have actually had a bad dream.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 am

Wylie has dreams...I wouldn't say nightmares though. But I do wake him up because he makes bark howls. Normally I just rub his leg or belly softly and he'll quiet down and then wake right up. He never seems scared or confused though, always pretty relaxed.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am

Yea, I rub my dogs belly too and it wakes her up. I sometimes worry she is having nightmares because when she wakes up she pants really heavily like she has been running a marathon in the blistering heat, even when the room isn't remotely warm

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 am

My GSD used to yelp a lot (and loud) and make leg movements as if running full speed, when she'd wake up she'd cower until she got her baring's of where she was.
She was a rescue and the reason i often question the thing trainers say about "dogs only live in the now and not the past" because she was clearly dreaming about things of past... it was really quite distressing when she first did it...

Sam, the most he does is snore really loudly...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Normally I just let them "ride it out".
But sometimes I softly put a hand on them to possibly give them a bit of comfort.

I do however not think it is nightmares per say most of it, but more play or something like that.
Sometimes one of them even twitches in a way that you know they would be running in their dream..
>> Nino <<