Difficulty of creating a new breed?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Difficulty of creating a new breed?

Post by kcyin1569 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 pm

How difficult is creating a new breed? What steps do you have to take before the process of creating the breed, during the creation, and after-steps to ensure the breed will thrive? How long does it generally take to develop a new breed?
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
the passing of mountains,
When their gold eyes
pierce your mind and soul,
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Difficulty of creating a new breed?

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 am

I don't know much about the creation but imo, the success of the breed relies on starting as you mean to go on and doing it the right way not the fastest.
Health and temperament is a must and if you find one of your dogs is producing too many bad hips, dogs with bad temperaments or any other undesired trait then stop using it as soon as you notice... Not using the same dog too many times so that one line dominates the whole gene pool and transparency in everything weather it be good, frowned upon, or bad because with out the trust of people to buy pups there will be no breed.
but that's my humble opinion :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks! Any opinion is wanted, and I certainly appreciate yours. I'm trying to get a bigger feel on this breed and breeding/breed creation in general. It's very fascinating! Thank you for your insight!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
When their gold eyes
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:46 pm

What a big question. My suggestion is that a creator of a new breed needs to be well versed in genetics for the breed to be able to survive well into the future. I know that in the creation of Czechoslovakian Wolfdog professional geneticists vere extensively consulted. In reviving our national horse breed Kladruber, a geneticist again played a key role.

So - you need the knowledge how genetics work. Then you need lots of time dedicated to the cause. Lots of people taking care of the dogs. Lots of money to care for the dogs. Lots of energy to fight for recognition in your own country as well as internationally. Managerial skills, people skills - these should not be underestimated, we people have this nice tendency to have different opinions and tend to fight. And you need a lot of people, if you have a lot of dogs. And you do need a lot of dogs, if you want a stable gene pool.
All this changes over time, enthusiasm, money, interest, energy - all these tend to chip away with time, and a breed is not created overnight. I have read that you need at least eight generations in their pedigree to actually be able to speak of a breed, that's a very long time with dogs, that's a lifetime of human effort...

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh wow. I could tell that it was a lot of work, and genetics needed to be key, but I wasn't expecting all of that. It sounds very hard, but very rewarding in the end (if the breed creator does a great job). Thank you so much for your input!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
When their gold eyes
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Czertice wrote:What a big question. My suggestion is that a creator of a new breed needs to be well versed in genetics for the breed to be able to survive well into the future. I know that in the creation of Czechoslovakian Wolfdog professional geneticists vere extensively consulted. In reviving our national horse breed Kladruber, a geneticist again played a key role.

So - you need the knowledge how genetics work. Then you need lots of time dedicated to the cause. Lots of people taking care of the dogs. Lots of money to care for the dogs. Lots of energy to fight for recognition in your own country as well as internationally. Managerial skills, people skills - these should not be underestimated, we people have this nice tendency to have different opinions and tend to fight. And you need a lot of people, if you have a lot of dogs. And you do need a lot of dogs, if you want a stable gene pool.
All this changes over time, enthusiasm, money, interest, energy - all these tend to chip away with time, and a breed is not created overnight. I have read that you need at least eight generations in their pedigree to actually be able to speak of a breed, that's a very long time with dogs, that's a lifetime of human effort...
Agree here and you know what the hardest of it all is........That you have to work with dogs that already exist with all their gene-defects.........

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I think it's just as equally hard to IDENTIFY what an unrecognized or have yet to be recognized "new breed" or crossbreed really is as it is to create it! This is true for BOTH wild and domestic canines. No doubt in my mind that Ann took a very long time to create the ANCD crossbreeds.