New York Times addresses puppy mills and the AKC

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

New York Times addresses puppy mills and the AKC

Post by Ausbird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sport ... wanted=all

Interesting read about a couple cases of the AKC failing miserably on inspection to identify inhumane conditions at registered breeders before a raid ultimately rescues the mistreated dogs. It's good to see a major news source spreading light on the issue of puppy mills. I wasn't aware of the AKC's lobbying efforts to prevent caps on litters bred. Thoughts?

Also, as I was perusing over the AKC wiki page I found this gem (probably common knowledge around here but it was new to me):

"Though the majority of the 170 breed-specific parent clubs have a health committee devoted to their breed's specific concerns, the AKC prohibits clubs from actually imposing stricter regulations. That is, an AKC breed club cannot require a higher breeding age, hip dysplasia ratings, genetic tests for inheritable diseases, or any other restrictions."

Intuitively, it seems terrible that the AKC wouldn't even allow clubs to enforce health standards if they come to find the value in them. Why is this?

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: New York Times addresses puppy mills and the AKC

Post by Ryphen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am

Won't claim to know the answer, but my guess would be there are political/financial reasons behind the AKC's decisions.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 am

With that, I am ok with the Tamaskan never becoming AKC registered.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 am

AZDehlin wrote:With that, I am ok with the Tamaskan never becoming AKC registered.
This means it's one more reason for me not wanting the Tamaskan to be recognized by AKC. lol.

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 am

Apparently the humane society released a report along these lines last year. Didn't realize the humane society took such strong positions publicly! Good for them.

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdf ... eeders.pdf

noxbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by noxbird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:49 am

arianwenarie wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:With that, I am ok with the Tamaskan never becoming AKC registered.
This means it's one more reason for me not wanting the Tamaskan to be recognized by AKC. lol.
Totally agreed.

noxbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by noxbird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 am

Ausbird wrote:Apparently the humane society released a report along these lines last year. Didn't realize the humane society took such strong positions publicly! Good for them.

Really great document. Thanks for finding and sharing!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:20 am

Ausbird wrote:Apparently the humane society released a report along these lines last year. Didn't realize the humane society took such strong positions publicly! Good for them.

This makes me sick... Never ever ever would I want the tamaskan registered under them.... this is a corrupt money making system.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:57 pm

AZDehlin wrote: This makes me sick... Never ever ever would I want the tamaskan registered under them.... this is a corrupt money making system.
The FCI is not any better, really... promoting to breed sick dogs and genetical diseases for the sake of 'more to standart' looks, while shunning and bad-mouthing those breeders who push for a change and for allowing outcrosses to widen the often too narrow gene pool. Sickening, all in the name of money and profit.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Nice article. I'm sure most of the people here could care less about any kind of "official" recognition if it means the dogs are going to suffer for it.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 pm

KC/AKC and whatever else was the worst thing to happen to dogs... Greed, vanity, greed, greed and vanity in that order has make a mockery of most dogs... Sled pullers have been turned into froo froo puffies, GSD's have been turned into walking bananas and i won't even start on the poor British Bull Dog. And when i see pugs, i have a genuine concern that they will lose an eye if they get too excited. Just imagine how dogs would be today if it weren't for showing and prize money...

The following article doesn't surprise me. People can register litters from, say 2 pure bred huskies but don't have to visually prove this to be the case. My friends, mum's husky turned out to be a husky/mal but had kc papers saying both were huskies and papers of the parents.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein