Controversial Dog Sports

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Controversial Dog Sports

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:40 am

I've not seen any topics of the likes but i stumbled into the middle of a discussion about dog pulling sports on a Bull breed page (here). Obviously, someone posted the page on their own stating the 'cruelty' and the loyal members of said page then went to the other page and they got a lot of trolls spouting off (i say troll's but maybe sheeple would be better, or band wagon members?)...

Well, i was wondering if anyone has ever looked into it or knows anything... They likened it to arctic breeds pulling sled but that is a team of dogs pulling moderate weight not one dog pulling huge weight,,, Totally different in my eyes...

A few bits i see as wrong but there are many pictures on the page (i will link the pictures from the page as i have not had permission to use them, not sure if that makes a difference as i technically have not taken them off the page):

Calling this a puppy smile when it looks like exhaustion to me on a hot day:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

The weight and the posture of this dog seem's damaging, can't be doing the spine any good. They are concrete breeze blocks... How much must that weigh? :? :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

I have googled and googled because i will not judge based on looks without knowing facts and for the amount of positives about the 'sport' i find, i find an equal amount of negatives... A lot say they love it and were built for it, same amount call it abuse... I know some dogs have to work, but maybe some jobs are a bit extreme?

I'm not sure if the page paints them in the best light and some seem to be overly bulked up... But been in a country where pits are banned, i've never seen one so can't comment...

Also the amount of pictures of bulls on chains is a concern but that is a different topic and the abuse, name calling and insults the admin throw out is ridiculous...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Controversial Dog Sports

Post by Misaya » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:02 pm

It looks like cruelty to me, and as you said that dog does not look like its smiling, but hot and exhausted.

Even with gradual training, that must be too much weight for them.

People are such a***holes :evil:
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 pm

I tend to agree - however, the dogs would refuse to pull if they did not want to (and instead they would just sit / lie down and show no desire to pull)... so clearly these dogs do 'enjoy' pulling to a degree but I really think it's more the case that they just have incredible heart and a very strong desire to please their owner, to do anything for their master to make him/her happy and really give it everything they've got... it's just such a shame that humans would abuse this unparalleled loyalty to force their dogs to do serious physical trials that could potentially do a lot of harm to their bodies (muscles, joints, bones, etc)... only for human entertainment. Arguably, the same could be said for extreme dog sled races too...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:24 pm

I think it is like any other sport, in which you will get competitors who know their, or in this case their dogs limits, and those who don't recognise, or at worse don't care, if they push them far beyond their capabilities.
Not my cup of tea personally, but if the dogs enjoy it, and their owners are sensible, I'll remain indifferent.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Sorry but I don't agree with having bull dogs doing most of that stuff that I'm seeing on the facebook page either. I wouldn't even risk letting a husky jump over THIS!

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 pm

I don't really see what the problem is. At least here in Sweden, weight-pulling is the most controlled and "vet-checked" of all the dog sports, there are definitely no dogs being forced to do anything, or pulling more than they can handle, over here at least. It's all very strict and controlled.

And the last picture, of the dog jumping - I don't see the harm in that? :?
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

BinBin
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BinBin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am

Nimwey wrote:I don't really see what the problem is. At least here in Sweden, weight-pulling is the most controlled and "vet-checked" of all the dog sports, there are definitely no dogs being forced to do anything, or pulling more than they can handle, over here at least. It's all very strict and controlled.

And the last picture, of the dog jumping - I don't see the harm in that? :?
I agree. Malamutes have a weight pulling trial here, that is what the breed was bred for; hauling heavy weights. The dogs are well trained, well warmed up and there is always a vet. As there is in sled dog racing events.

And to the picture with the dog pulling, the dog is clearly not overly heated, the mouth is not wide open, the tongue is not rigid and the end of the throat is not visible. Normal panting. Check this article for the clear signs of heat stress: http://www.webheads.co.uk/sleddog/ezine ... Stress.pdf

Also agree Nimwey on the jumping dog. What's wrong with that? Normal stuff for every single hunting dog in the world! :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, in comparison to what humans usually use them for this is the better of the 2 'sports' and yes dogs are really good at pulling but some of those weights seem a little ott... The strain you can see from the posture can't possibly be doing joints or muscles any good (personal opinion) and i saw one picture where it was pulling on concrete with no boots (sore pads?).

And i wouldn't let Sam jump over spiky logs either but then again i'd wrap him, my cats and my kids up in bubble wrap if i could :oops:

I think this would be another 'ignore' sport to add to the list as well as horse racing, grey racing, hunting and anything else i missed off...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 pm

To clarify what I meant, I am fine with a dog jumping over a log but not if it has sharp or pointy remaining parts of where there used to be branches sticking up. If the dog fails to leap over the log and lands its stomach on those pointy areas...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 am

Jeez that's scary. It's so difficult to read some of the posts where people who participate in or are just in support of the extreme weight pulling for Pit Bulls and the like will say that the dog is bred to pull, because it totally wasn't bred for that. Pit bulls are incredibly loyal and will do anything to make their owner's happy, which is why they end up becoming such a popular choice for use as fighting dogs. Some people take advantage of their loyalty and athleticism and put their dogs through horrible abuse and tasks that are simply unhealthy for the dogs, but pass it off as okay because the dog "enjoys" it, or that it's a good way to burn off the high energy some of these dogs can have. Why not teach the dog to do agility, or flyball, or frisbee tricks if it has so much energy? The dog will actually enjoy that without causing undue stress to itself. Or if you HAVE to do weight pulling, don't do it to an extreme. Don't make your 30lb dog pull 5,000 or even 500lbs.
-Crystal