First Fight / First Blood (malamutes)

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

First Fight / First Blood (malamutes)

Post by RoyAM » Fri May 28, 2010 5:44 am

Our two young Malamutes (7 months) had their first full out fight yesterday, fur & blood flying. This was not a play fight but full on attack on each other.

By the time I got to them and prized them apart there was fur & blood everywhere. When separated they were neither up nor down about the whole thing and were more shocked by the severe shouting and telling off i gave them both.

So why did this happen?

Earlier today they both got a large Marrow Bone each, which they happily sat and chewed on. Apparently one bone was not enough for Nebraska and she decided to take Dakota's also (not a good idea).

She came out better off in this and Dakota has two very deep cuts / puncture wounds in his ear which would not be good if he had a show coming up. Within minutes of both there bones being removed and both of them being inspected for cuts & wounds they were both best of friends again as if nothing had happened.

Looking back their 5 generation pedigree they do have a few distant grand parents that may bring out this fiery streak in them although until now they have had exemplary temperament.

I expect there will be a few more disagreements from time to time until a packing order is fixed out. They are both very head strong.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: First Fight / First Blood

Post by wen » Fri May 28, 2010 10:43 am

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Oh dear Roy Im sorry to hear that. I hope his ear heals up without scars. Personally I would never leave two males alone with possessions such as bones especially Malamute. I doubt very much it has anything to do with their heritage but more to do with young males asserting themselves over their possessions. I give bones but have all my dogs separated to eat them.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri May 28, 2010 10:25 pm

They are a male and a female arent they, not the same sex?
My two have had some skirmishes, although they look and sound worse than they are. Ayasca has a couple of little marks on his face from them though. However, I think most of the time it is Mischa that instigates things. It is mostly toys they argue over as I dont give marrow bones anymore as there is the risk of cracking/breaking a tooth. If I did, I would separate them.

Maybe your two are trying to establish who is alpha?

Hope his ear heals up well.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sat May 29, 2010 6:37 am

Misaya wrote:They are a male and a female arent they, not the same sex?
Yes both Male & Female, Dakota (boy) is 10 days older than Nebraska (girl)
all is now sweet again, nebraska's session if fully over, and they lay cuddled in together to sleep at night

whether it be toy or food or bones, Nebraska must have everything that is around and gathers everything up close to her. Dekota; heck gathering everything it is just far too much energy for him, he prefers to lay back and chill.

We had the same problem of a fight now and then with our first two, who again were male/female this lasted for 12 years where our old girl Nakita would continiously have a go at Bodie then all hell would break lose and Bodie would put her in her place and all would be cool for around 6 months then it would happen again.

For 11 years Nakita always cacked her leg when pee'ing lifting it high just like a male she only stopped due to old age.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat May 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Fenris "resource guarded" something once, and we were quick to correct him. (could make instances with small children a disaster). I corrected him so quickly that he hasn't done it since (several months ago). I won't accept that behavior in our dogs. We have two cats, too--so the dogs could do harm--either to them or to our 12 year old boy.

I have to say that we had a bunch of people over for a party last night--and Freyja was AMAZING with my 3 and 5 year old nieces. She was play bowing to each of them, and then parading around behind them as they walked through the house. The girls loved it, and did at least 40 laps around the house with Freyja in tow! haha!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Sorry Roy of course they are male and female....silly me ;)