Ramble Away...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ramble Away...

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am

arianwenarie wrote:There was one time I forgot to give her a release command to go eat her dinner and I came back 10 minutes later to her front legs drowning in drool. LOL.
Ha! I have done that... I taught Sam to wait when i put the food in his bowl (he used to dive in before i finished when he was a pup and food bounced off his head and went all over the floor) and i said "good boy, go get it" but the "good boy, go get it" it meaningless without a head ruffle to go with it :lol:

I thought it may have something to do with been told to "leave it" when i put something down for the cat... The cat has to eat first because if i throw sam his bit he will dive in for the cats but if i say leave it and give him his when Phoenix has finished, he will wait...

But he only waits with biscuits and only with me... so it couldn't be that...

So we back to being odd :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:38 am

So I got moved up a level in my job this week. Instead of just soldering the busbar onto the solar panels I am now also working on solar maintenance, basically checking the quality of the nearly finished solar panels. Man I wished I was allowed to take pictures of my job in the warehouse but I'd be violating Celestica's privacy policy. It's a very exciting job once you get the hang of it! :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Congratz :D It's good you like it, not many people are lucky enough to like their job...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 am

I love many things about my dog, but one of the best is... he makes me smile :D I can plaster the biggest fake smile on, but he will see through it and come and give me a real one with some cuddles and kisses :D :D :D
Sorry to break it to you guys but, i have the best dog ever! ;)

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Many of us are friends on Facebook, but in case you aren't on FB I wanted to share this with everyone:

Fenris, our Lab x Australian Shepherd mix, went to see the canine ophthalmologist yesterday. Since we adopted him four years ago, I've been concerned about his vision in his right eye. I've always wondered if he could see at all out of his right eye. Our old vet (different city) looked closely at him, and said he could see out of his eye (I had my doubts, tbh). We then moved to a new city, found a new vet and Fenris went in for his first exam about 3 months ago. I told my new vet about our concern with his vision. Over the past year, he has become increasingly fearful in certain situations: shiny floors, riding in the car, etc., and has even withdrawn from playing with the other dogs, always goes out the door last, etc. Our new vet confirmed that his retina was detached and that he was probably blind in his right eye. She recommended a visit with a canine ophthalmologist who traveled from Philadelphia to their clinic once a week. We scheduled an appointment with Dr. Glickstein and he also confirmed that Fenris' retina is detached and beyond repair (we were hoping it was salvageable for surgery), and that he has cataracts in both eyes.

I know that many dogs are blind, partially blind and do just fine. It's just so very sad to me that a 4 year old dog could have this many problems with his eyes. To make things worse (for me, I know!) the doctor said that his bad eye could eventually bleed out or shrivel up and need to be removed. :cry:

I was really hoping that surgery could correct his vision. Cataract surgery is possible--but because he has lost vision completely in his right eye, the risk is too great. With cataract surgery there is a relatively high risk (25%) of developing glaucoma after surgery. Glaucoma can be controlled with eye drops, but the doctor doesn't recommend the surgery in Fenris' case.

However, Dr. Glickstein was just at a conference in the UK last month, and there is a new herbal treatment that has been shown to slow and even reverse the effects of cataracts. There are about 20 ingredients, but it includes grape seed extract, vitamin C, etc. The study sample (double blind study) was only 30 dogs--but it just so happened that there were 2 littermates in the study. One received the placebo, and the other received the treatment. The one that received the placebo had his cataracts get worse. The one that received the drug had worse cataracts and after the treatment saw *improvement* in vision. The drug is called Ocuglo. I called PetPlan today, and it seems they will cover this treatment for Fenris (paws crossed!!!) The drug is over $900 per year. If this goes through I will be so happy.

P.S. Fenris is entirely blue merle -- a coloration in Australian shepherds that, I believe, does sometimes come with eye problems. He is just such a cool dog. Even the doggie eye doctor kept commenting on how nice he is. <3
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Tracy, I'm sorry to hear about Fenris. :(

Do you know how much grape seed extract is in the drug? The canine massage therapist I know had mentioned one of her clients losing her dog due to using grapeseed oil to dilute the essential oil blends for her dog - the oil was applied daily over a few years.

Please understand that I'm only bringing up my concern of the grape seed extract since it's to my understanding that grape seeds contain toxins that are poisonous to canines. I would hate to see something happen to a friend's beloved pet because of a pharmacy's failure to disclose health risks with the drugs they've dispensed...

Are there any trainers/behaviorists in your area that specialize in disabled dogs? And by disabled dogs, I mean blind, deaf and/or blind & deaf.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 am

I'm sorry to hear about Fenris... not fair with him been so young still :(
arianwenarie wrote: Do you know how much grape seed extract is in the drug? The canine massage therapist I know had mentioned one of her clients losing her dog due to using grapeseed oil to dilute the essential oil blends for her dog - the oil was applied daily over a few years.

Please understand that I'm only bringing up my concern of the grape seed extract since it's to my understanding that grape seeds contain toxins that are poisonous to canines. I would hate to see something happen to a friend's beloved pet because of a pharmacy's failure to disclose health risks with the drugs they've dispensed...

Are there any trainers/behaviorists in your area that specialize in disabled dogs? And by disabled dogs, I mean blind, deaf and/or blind & deaf.
Any seeds (and fruit stones) are toxic to dogs... They contain cyanide. People argue that the size of a seed means it can't contain enough to be toxic but i have started to cut up apples to remove the seeds. I know the chance of cyanide poisoning is pretty slim but if the effects can build over a period of time (like the case of a woman putting antifreeze in her hubbies meals and drinks over a period of years and he ended up seriously ill, different form of toxins but same principle) which by what you have been told is possible, i don't mind looking paranoid...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 am

poor baby Fenris :cry: sending lots of love :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 am

arianwenarie wrote:Tracy, I'm sorry to hear about Fenris. :(

Do you know how much grape seed extract is in the drug? The canine massage therapist I know had mentioned one of her clients losing her dog due to using grapeseed oil to dilute the essential oil blends for her dog - the oil was applied daily over a few years.

Thanks, Arie, I will look into it. I have the paperwork lined up for pre-approval for the pet insurance. Obviously we wouldn't use the medication if it wasn't covered by insurance. But I have yet to do my own research about the drug. Maybe someone else will beat me to it, but I'll post here when I find it.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 am

A parody on both Obama and Romney on Epic Rap. I know the election stuff is over now but still, this was just hilarious to the pinnacles of comedy.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Nice to be back; ive been away from this forum for almost 2 years now due to disagreements and issues with a previous member.

I must say, on return there have been dramatic changes for the good and it is nice to see everyone getting along (the way a forum should).

Will take me some time to read up on the past few years but some very interesting reading indeed.

the oldest boy is 3 now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Roy! Good to see you again :)
Cute fur babies!!!!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Awww, lovely furbabies :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 am

Hi roy glad to see you back, and glad to see the babies they are beautiful :D :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 am

Anyone ever met anyone on the internet who seemed a lot nicer than they actually are? Yeah, me too...

I have this friend in Texas, and if anyone has an opinion that differs... they are morons, imbeciles and idiots...
Support a different football team? Then you are an idiot who knows squat about football (yes, regardless of where you live so supporting your hometown means you have the IQ lower than a child and you are commonly referred to as know-nothings)...
And oh my dog!!! The elections? Talk about a sore looser... Obama won! Deal with it! I know a lot didn't want him in again but he was the better option than baseball Mitt (yes, i was following because what happens over there has repercussions over hear and i wasn't best impressed with the insults Mitt threw to the uk). Why he thinks ranting and ranting and ranting on fb will help i have no idea... Even Obama hater are getting tired of him...
Doctors should not be giving medication to people with mental health issues, that is pandering to them and making them worse... If they are told they need it then they will believe that... Happiness it the key to making them better (try telling that to someone with depression schizophrenia, ADHD, OCD, autism, bipolar etc :roll: ).

I post a pic of a new tattoo (the one before last) and his status is coincidentally:
Lev. 19:28, "‘You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord"

But it had nothing to do with me :roll: (what does it have to do with him what i put on my self?)...

Ok, i'm done now... Feel much better... Thanks for listening :D

(I'm not usually one to vent but sometimes there is so much going on in ones life, some venting needs to be done :oops: and thats the only thing out of everything i can vent about)...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:25 am

I'm not fond of many people in Texas, I come across many, putting nicely, idiots.
Maybe it's because I work in retail.
There are some exceptions though

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 pm

I give you a lot of credit for living in TX. I know I couldn't live there. Too hot and too ... how do I put it... good 'ol boy for me.
The funny thing about the election is that the entire state of Florida wasn't even counted until 5 days after the election and even then, Obama won. FL ended up voting for Obama anyhow. LOL
I watch too much Comedy Central and HBO to like Mitt. (The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Bill Mahr.) All very funny political satire with a twist on current events.
I used to work in retail, too, HiTenshi. All through high school and college. Here's my rundown: first job: TCBY (frozen yogurt! yum!), Musicland, Naturalizer, Northern Reflections, Burlington Coat Factory, Kmart, Giant Eagle (grocery), a pet store (evil, evil, evil!), a video rental store (what are *those*?), etc. etc. I ran into jerks every single day. The worst was the grocery store. No one wanted to be there and people get very ornery when they have to wait in long lines to pay. Kmart was pretty bad, too. The grossest job I ever had was working in the dish room at the cafe on MSU college campus. EW!!! College kids are G- R- O -S -S! LOL
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I'm not fond of many people in Texas, I come across many, putting nicely, idiots.
Maybe it's because I work in retail.
There are some exceptions though
So people in tx tend to be he same then :? with, of cause, the odd exception ^^^ :D

Hawthorne wrote:I used to work in retail, too, HiTenshi. All through high school and college. Here's my rundown: first job: TCBY (frozen yogurt! yum!), Musicland, Naturalizer, Northern Reflections, Burlington Coat Factory, Kmart, Giant Eagle (grocery), a pet store (evil, evil, evil!), a video rental store (what are *those*?), etc. etc. I ran into jerks every single day. The worst was the grocery store. No one wanted to be there and people get very ornery when they have to wait in long lines to pay. Kmart was pretty bad, too. The grossest job I ever had was working in the dish room at the cafe on MSU college campus. EW!!! College kids are G- R- O -S -S! LOL
Colorful work history :lol: Surprised you still sane ...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Reading these bible quotes, I suddenly had to think about this...
:mrgreen:

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Ahhhhh, so it was a wise move on me not to accept a 3 year posting in Houston, I was asked to go there for 3 year project and also to consider Aussie land 4 hours North of Perth, we said no to both and im still here in cold wet damp scotland Brrrrrrr (but the malamutes love it).

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Karen wrote:Reading these bible quotes, I suddenly had to think about this...

yeah, that looks about right :roll: :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:55 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
Karen wrote:Reading these bible quotes, I suddenly had to think about this...

yeah, that looks about right :roll: :lol:
Sorry to butt in but I totally agree with that as well. :lol:

Ironically enough for the "ignore silly haircuts", apparently the Corinthian says that I'm a sinner because I'm a man with waste-length long hair. Totally BS!

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 pm

So is my husband... :mrgreen: His hair also comes half way his back.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:22 am

Hawthorne wrote:I give you a lot of credit for living in TX. I know I couldn't live there. Too hot and too ... how do I put it... good 'ol boy for me.
I actually hate living in Texas, give me the chance and I'm out of here. I miss living near the beaches in Florida, and the rain. My husband and I hope that if all goes to plan, that we will move to Colorado or North Dakota, somewhere in or near the mountains. But that won't be for another few years :(

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 am

Hawthorne wrote:I give you a lot of credit for living in TX. I know I couldn't live there. Too hot and too ... how do I put it... good 'ol boy for me.
LOL. For me, I guess it's not that bad...but that's probably because I don't know any better. XD I hate the Texas heat, but on the other hand, I don't deal with cold all that well...changing of seasons from summer to fall/"winter" always make me cough so bad that some days, I think I might cough out a lung. :?

Austin's dry heat isn't that bad. Houston's humidity during the summer is baaaad. ew. ew. ew.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
I actually hate living in Texas, give me the chance and I'm out of here. I miss living near the beaches in Florida, and the rain. My husband and I hope that if all goes to plan, that we will move to Colorado or North Dakota, somewhere in or near the mountains. But that won't be for another few years :(
I've never been to Texas but due to my vampire-like skin conditions when in hot environments, especially during high humidity, I don't think I'll ever want to go there. :lol:

It's crazy to me when thinking about it now cuz my ancestry comes from a semi-tropical region in China and my parents are Vietnamese-born Chinese but I'm a Canadian person and I actually feel a lot more comfortable with living in the snowy regions of northern Ontario than in my birthplace Toronto where it is much warmer. Even if it means to be moving farrrrrrrrr away from all my relatives in the southern regions of Ontario but I'm just the way I am, built for the north. ;)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 am

So Spot's reincarnation is currently sitting on the back porch. Seriously this cat looks so much like him, only its face is all black and it's missing the spot.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Ever had those frustrations when you spend half the day sleeping to prepare for your 12 hour night shift only to get a call that says "your shift's been cancelled". This is the 3rd time today, mostly as a result of material shortage in my case

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Oh my! Im watching "The Puppy Puzzle" on DVD. Lots to learn!!!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 am

I'm guessing no one actually knows how much people have paid on lynn's forum for pups as of late? I'm wondering if she has been charging the original price when people come looking and then sell the ones she can't home on preloved for £650 and £750 and hope no one notices or doesn't care if anyone notices (kinda insulting to those who have paid £1000 recently).
I hate preloved and Gumtree for selling animals anyway but how could anyone list something living on a site called 'preloved' (as in was once loved but is no longer) is beyond me.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:01 am

Hawthorne wrote:Oh my! Im watching "The Puppy Puzzle" on DVD. Lots to learn!!!
Do tell about it :D
>> Nino <<

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 pm

TerriHolt wrote:I'm guessing no one actually knows how much people have paid on lynn's forum for pups as of late? I'm wondering if she has been charging the original price when people come looking and then sell the ones she can't home on preloved for £650 and £750 and hope no one notices or doesn't care if anyone notices (kinda insulting to those who have paid £1000 recently).
I hate preloved and Gumtree for selling animals anyway but how could anyone list something living on a site called 'preloved' (as in was once loved but is no longer) is beyond me.
No, any info regarding puppy sales is pretty much kept private. Anyone interested in a puppy purchase will have to contact the "TDR Secretary", Blustag. She does do puppy announcements on the forum, but only that she has planned a litter/confirmed pregnancy; anyone that wants more info will have to contact her directly. Heck, anything that has to do with their side needs to go through Lynn directly.

My interpretation of "preloved" is a bit different, but it's too difficult for me to explain...it's one of those things that clicks in my head, yet can't be explained. XD

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm

I've never trusted that "prelove" website from the start. Always felt suspicious about it. What the hell is this "the joy of second hand" motto supposed to mean if the subject is regarding a dog; they make me feel like they're advertising the animals like products you can collect. :|

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:I'm guessing no one actually knows how much people have paid on lynn's forum for pups as of late? I'm wondering if she has been charging the original price when people come looking and then sell the ones she can't home on preloved for £650 and £750 and hope no one notices or doesn't care if anyone notices (kinda insulting to those who have paid £1000 recently).
No, any info regarding puppy sales is pretty much kept private. Anyone interested in a puppy purchase will have to contact the "TDR Secretary", Blustag. She does do puppy announcements on the forum, but only that she has planned a litter/confirmed pregnancy; anyone that wants more info will have to contact her directly. Heck, anything that has to do with their side needs to go through Lynn directly.

My interpretation of "preloved" is a bit different, but it's too difficult for me to explain...it's one of those things that clicks in my head, yet can't be explained. XD

Didn't think so, was just hoping. I just wondered if there were any bits non registered people can't see...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 pm

/sigh

Ever since I moved in with my other sister back in August, Abby's list of crimes is on the rise... lol. She went upstairs to the landing twice within a week, she's gone into the master bedroom, counter surfed twice in an hour (since she first did it 4 years ago), tried to bite visitors twice, frequently sleeps ON the stairs when she's not so much even allowed to place her head on the first step, tried to jump onto the couch (not allowed on furniture), went into the dining room (not allowed on wood floors) more times than I can count and guards her bed on occasion.

I'll not count the two times she tried to bite me in the face due to my own foolishness... (never mess with a dog in deep sleep, folks. XD)

The counter surfing incidents happened this morning. My sister was in the study and I was upstairs - dog is always loose in the house if we're home. My sister and I enjoyed a bit of green tea cake earlier in the morning and I had set the leftover cake in a small bowl on the kitchen counter. I heard a bowl rattling a bit later after I had gone back upstairs...I thought it was my sister messing around with bowls in the kitchen (even though it sounded odd). My sister had thought I was in the kitchen messing with bowls. Neither one of us thought differently until my sister went into the kitchen to go yell at me and quit making noise. Little did she expect the dog on the counter nudging the bowl...dog was yelled at and she fled back into her crate.

I heard her yelling at the dog, so I ran downstairs to prevent sister from further yelling at the dog lest the dog retaliate as she's tried in the past with fam members she doesn't respect as much. Abby knew she was in trouble the moment she was caught; no need for further correction. The fam still doesn't understand dog corrections are quick, fair and done...they keep yelling at the dog long after she's caught unless I stop them.

Later, my sister tried to encourage the dog to get her front paws onto the counter to see if Abby could actually reach the bowl of cake. I yelled at my sister for encouraging it because little does she know that if you encourage Abby to do something, she'll think it's OK to do. Much like how the stairs boundary just magically vanished in the dog's mind. I'm still trying to figure out a way to catch the dog in the act of getting onto the stairs...no luck so far as Abby knows to get on the stairs when no one's looking. My girl isn't too bright in some areas, but she sure is opportunistic...much to my frustration. :lol:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Seem's like a lot of rules for a dog :shock: :lol: I'd hardly call most of them crimes, more being a dog :mrgreen:

I can't imagine living in someone else's house with Sam, he's rude :oops: But it seem's like Abby need's people around her to understand her more than most dogs.
Wish i could suggest something helpful...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 pm

TerriHolt wrote:Seem's like a lot of rules for a dog :shock: :lol: I'd hardly call most of them crimes, more being a dog :mrgreen:

I can't imagine living in someone else's house with Sam, he's rude :oops: But it seem's like Abby need's people around her to understand her more than most dogs.
Wish i could suggest something helpful...
Yep. I'm pretty strict with my dog because I expect a lot out of her only because I know she can do it. In turn, she respects and trusts me. Most people aren't comfortable with the number of rules I have for my dog (family being some of those people)...but then again, I wouldn't have a well-behaved dog. I've been down that path once where I had a dog that wasn't trained...never going back.

Plus, it gives me bragging rights. LOL. My dog knows over 40 commands. ;) Most of which are in sign language too. I've just seen too many dogs with issues in the line of work I was doing while I was an intern. I want to do everything I can to NOT be in those types of situations. I do assure you that I'm not a tyrant to my dog...I love her to bits and show my love to her in my own way: tough love. :lol: But I'm happy with my dog and she's happy...it's weird how I can tell if she's nervous in her environment by how fast she eats. :roll: If she's nervous, she scarfs her food down at mealtimes - within seconds. Otherwise, she takes a little over a minute and actually chews her food. She's happy and comfortable...I just think she's a bit too comfortable. lol.

Sometimes, I wish my dog knew how to give ME a massage every night...she plops down on her bed same time every night because she knows she's going to get her massage - even if it's for a few minutes.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 am

Nah, not a tyrant... I'd just never seen so many doggy rules before.
Maybe if people put half the effort into it, there wouldn't be banned breeds. Yes, they were bred to fight but with a tougher hand, the ones who went to loving homes may not have turned...
IKD, look at staffies (i want to say now i have nothing against them, they are lovely dogs)... Lately i seriously worry for their future, it seem's like they could be next on the list. There has been lots of child deaths/attacks involving 'happy' family pet stafies in uk, a lot of 'non doggie' people are wanting a ban (and stricter rules for people keeping dogs in general, muzzled at all times etc). Maybe with more doggie rules in the home, less attacks?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 am

TerriHolt wrote:Nah, not a tyrant... I'd just never seen so many doggy rules before.
Maybe if people put half the effort into it, there wouldn't be banned breeds. Yes, they were bred to fight but with a tougher hand, the ones who went to loving homes may not have turned...
IKD, look at staffies (i want to say now i have nothing against them, they are lovely dogs)... Lately i seriously worry for their future, it seem's like they could be next on the list. There has been lots of child deaths/attacks involving 'happy' family pet stafies in uk, a lot of 'non doggie' people are wanting a ban (and stricter rules for people keeping dogs in general, muzzled at all times etc). Maybe with more doggie rules in the home, less attacks?
I honestly do not believe in the saying that certain breed(s) of dogs were bred to fight. Not at all. Some breeds were born to be more wary of strangers, yes, but I believe all dogs have the same domestic instinct. Now, I'm not saying anything about wolfdogs...as I know next to nothing about them. lol.

I honestly believe a more well-trained dog, especially those breeds hit by breed bans and prejudice, are ambassadors for their breed. I love the bully breeds - they're cute in their own way and so loyal once you gain their trust and respect.

Behaviorist that I interned with has a pack of (now) 14 dogs and 4 foster dogs...and a cat. All living in the same household peacefully. All of them had aggression issues of their own; one of them is a completely deaf and blind basenji/terrier mix; another is a completely deaf boxer. <-- both of these differently-abled dogs would have been killed at the shelter because 1) they were labeled a "pit bull" and 2) they have disabilities. Do also note that these two dogs do agility - deaf boxer can be let off-lead and sent to agility stations; deaf/blind can navigate throughout the house without aid and can navigate agility course with a human guide.

^--- can you tell she's my inspiration? lol. I feel blessed that I got the chance to intern with her for nearly 2 years. Learned more than I ever had in my 5 years of college. :lol:

The rules really aren't that many...here's a list:
1. no height (i.e. not allowed on furniture, bed, etc)
2. food control
3. door control
4. leash control
5. room boundaries
6. dog owns nothing; all mine. :)

Once or twice a day, I take out all of Abby's toys and let her go to town on them. When I feel like it, I take them all away and put them up. That way, her toys are always exciting for her because they're a privilege. Rules 2-4 are groundwork control...foundation work, so to speak. It's practiced every day, so it's like second nature.

For me, the main reason why dog isn't allowed on furniture is becuase of my niece and nephew - they're young kids, Abby is a bigger dog. If the dog decides to jump on the couch uninvited when the kids are on the couch, the kids could get hurt. Kids rooms are upstairs, so that ruled out the stairs as a place she could go (note that I've never used a baby gate since I didn't get Abby as a puppy). We didn't want fur in the bedrooms, so that ruled out the rooms too...formal dining room and study has hardwood floors that are easily scratched, so that ruled out rooms for Abby to go to as well. She still has plenty of space to roam around the house - it's for both our sanity's sake. ;)

Even if there weren't any kids in the house, I wouldn't let the dog on the bed...I was taught the pack leader gets the best sleeping spot in the house and that'd be the bed. lol. On occasion, I'd roll around on the floor with the dog...but that's just my way of adhering to my rules and getting away with cuddling with the dog. :D Abby matches my activity level - if we're in the mood for some fetch (that she plays now), then she's up for it. Otherwise, she just chills out near us.

Honestly though, before I met Tara, I never knew about so many doggy rules either. Seeing how well behaved her pack is, I strive to do the same for my dog - and Abby doesn't have the same issues her dogs had. By no means do I think I could ever handle 10+ dogs on my own, but knowing what I know now and with the experience I have, I'm pretty confident I can handle 3 dogs by myself.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Nino wrote:
I will. I have watched it three times already and am finishing up notes that I will share. :D
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Nino wrote:
I will. I have watched it three times already and am finishing up notes that I will share. :D
I can't wait to see your notes! Sounds incredibly interesting. ;)

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Funny... I react exact opposite to arianwenarie. I let 90% of my rules go...

The 1st wolfdog we owned together ( I already trained my belgian sheperd before that) was very strictly trained. She behaved perfectly! Knew sign language and she had absolutely no respect issues towards us. Even tho she still is a very confident and dominant female.
But I also noticed something else in myself and her... I stopped enjoying her puppy time and she let go of "having fun" as well. She is 10 years old now, and even now you can still see the result of her training in her first 2 years.
I still wont tollerate disrespect, and if I give a command I want it followed. ( with 12 dogs, that last rule can be hard enough sometimes :lol: ) But they are allowed on the sofa, on my lap, can ask for a cuddle and even get it...etc.
Just a couple of rules: Dont touch my food, deliberately damage things and move over if I want to sit on the sofa. :mrgreen:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Rukia, our German Shepherd x Lab/ Heeler mix is 4 years old today. She came from a backyard 'breeder', my sister because she loved puppies and thought her dog was a great dog (who doesn't think their dog is the best?), who let her dog get pregnant from any stray that wandered into the yard. Because of that I was lucky enough to watch her grow and hold her when she was a few days old. She is daddy's girl and we love her to bits, even with her extreme separation anxiety.
Unfortunately, her brothers and sisters were given away at the corner of a feed store in their town, no telling where they are now or if they are still alive. Rukia almost ended up with the same fate as the rest because my brother was not responsible enough to keep her. I saved her and I don't regret it, nor am I embrrassed to admit where she came from.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Rukia, our German Shepherd x Lab/ Heeler mix is 4 years old today. She came from a backyard 'breeder', my sister because she loved puppies and thought her dog was a great dog (who doesn't think their dog is the best?), who let her dog get pregnant from any stray that wandered into the yard. Because of that I was lucky enough to watch her grow and hold her when she was a few days old. She is daddy's girl and we love her to bits, even with her extreme separation anxiety.
Unfortunately, her brothers and sisters were given away at the corner of a feed store in their town, no telling where they are now or if they are still alive. Rukia almost ended up with the same fate as the rest because my brother was not responsible enough to keep her. I saved her and I don't regret it, nor am I embrrassed to admit where she came from.
she sounds like a lovely, sweet, lucky girl :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 am

Woke up to silly people this am :(

Did they not know they had a toddler 8 weeks ago? Did they not know the bloke worked long hours 8 weeks ago? Or did they just not research what owning a puppy entailed... Mess in house, nipping, training... I have see it so much lately it's really annoying.
Infriating.jpg
One of my friends got a boxer... a month later they re-homed said boxer having no time for it. They then got a female boxer with txt on picture saying "maybe well have better luck with a female as i've been told they are easier to train" implying they re-homed the last because of poor training (i hope they informed the new owner, if not he'll have been passed on again)... Now i haven't got a clue what happened to her because now they are posting pics of a scruffy haired terrier type :roll:

And i've often been asked why i don't like humans...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 am

Grrr... people are so stupid sometimes.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 pm

*sigh* wow...that's just wrong.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Wow. Dumb people.
It takes much longer than a month to train a puppy! Heck, Freyja is enrolled in a dog class now and she's going on 4 years old. Not because she "needs" it--she's having fun and I'm having fun.
I don't know why some people even bother to have pets.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Shelters are over packed and some are having to turn people away because they have so many. More and more people who have never owned a pet buy on a whim without looking into it or buy because the kids nag... They don't train which end with the dog been pts because of human aggression or dog aggression (most shelters won't re-home those) Even bunnies because they are seen as the 'easy' pet which turn out to be not so easy and end up biting and not friendly because of lack of interaction. With the internet as a resource now, there is no excuse...

Sorry :oops: I'm done now... It get's at me, i can't even think about re-homing mine never mind actually doing it. I don't get how it can be done so easily... Without a second thought... Of cause i understand that sometimes it has to be but those circumstances and minimal compared with those who just get bored...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 pm

What a shit load of f***! I'd ban those people from ever coming near a dog again! Having a child is no excuse for not taking time with training the dogs!