Ramble Away...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ramble Away...

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 am

Ugh. Gotta vent my frustration somewhere... :\

Today is day 2 of my new insane schedule:
5:00am wake up, get ready for the day
5:45am take dog out for potty break, pack breakfast, feed dog
6:00am fly out the door to Job #1
6:30am let the chaos ensue after much cursing at traffic. :P
12pm fly out the door from Job #1, find lunch and scarf it down
12:30pm chuck the dog out for a midday potty break, get ready for Job #2
1:30pm run through the doors for Job #2
6:30pm fight traffic to get home while pondering what's for dinner
7:30pm home! :) chuck dog out for potty break, feed dog, find something to eat
8:00pm homework/studying
9:30pm chuck dog out for last call potty break
10pm sleep or be a zombie tomorrow. :(

*rinse and repeat

One word: Exhausted. And to find that my sister's fiance is being a complete jackass to my dog? PFFFT. even worse. Her behavioral issues are escalating at an alarming rate and no one but me gives a shit. ('scuse the language) Everyone in the family thinks I'm over-reacting, but hey...isn't it common sense that if you push a dog too far, it WILL bite? D: Oh, and how is it that the action of a dog biting someone CUTE?! D: I don't understand people...and I need to get out of this living situation ASAP before her behavior issues go so far that I can't fix them. :( :( :(

So, quite a tight schedule as it is on top of the stress of finding a place to live. :( Decisions, decisions..... Hopefully the weekend will bring me some down time.....not. XD

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:44 am

Wish things were not hectic for you :( Maybe you should treat your sister's fiancé the same way he is treating your dog, give him a taste of his medicine and see how he likes it.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Wish things were not hectic for you :( Maybe you should treat your sister's fiancé the same way he is treating your dog, give him a taste of his medicine and see how he likes it.
Unfortunately, that'd get me kicked out of my temp living situation... :( In general, the whole fam is forcing the dog to greet everyone who is at the door. Abby thinks it's her job to "approve" everyone that stops by our doorstep when she clearly (to me) doesn't want that job of having to say who can enter the pack. In the dog's mind, that's a HUGE responsibility and TONS of stress/pressure.

To put it in layman's terms, imagine you and a good friend of yours is walking down a sidewalk and some creepy, shady dude/dudette is walking your way. All of a sudden, your friend shoves you directly in front of said creepy person and makes you give creepy person a bear hug as if you've known creepy person your whole life (and had a good relationship). Now, further imagine said creepy person followed you everywhere the rest of the day whether invited or not. Stressful, eh?

^---- that's exactly how my baby girl feels. She's not OK with it, but she feels she must do this job since (in her mind) no one else is. Imagine the pressure a dog feels when they feel trapped in a position like this, clearly do not want the job, but instinct says they must take it on. And having to monitor uninvited creepy person(s) the entire time they're in the house/territory to ensure they're not pulling anything funny... :P

So where am I, her pack leader, supposed to come in? At the very beginning - clearly communicate with her, in her language, that it's not her job to approve who enters and/or leaves the pack. I say who she can and/or cannot greet - she doesn't have to greet everyone (esp those who are nervous around her) and if she's not comfortable with any person(s) [think of creepy person scenario above. ;)].

My frustration lies in that her issue at the door has escalated to the point where I can't correct/teach her properly without the help of another person who will (expletive) listen and work with me. Not only can the problem not be progressively solved (will probably only take a matter of 2 weeks or so), but the fam thinks they know the best way to "solve" this problem...sweep it under the rug, correct the dog at the wrong time.

Honestly, I fear the day where she will seriously bite someone out of her unstableness (note that I didn't say fear because it's not true fear) and SHE will have to pay for it. I seriously don't understand why they can't get that concept through their heads: yes, it's their fault if Abby bites them (when they're rough-housing/teasing her), but guess what? It's Society that says it's Abby's fault that she bit a human. So who loses? The dog. Every. Time. Without. Fail. :(

/end suuuuuuper long rant

I should go to bed before I can't drag myself out of bed tomorrow morning...then, that'd be veeeerry bad. XD

EDIT:
And ahem, not to be a jerk or anything, but who deals with dogs that have behavioral problems on a daily basis? Me. Who has nearly 2 years of experience and knowledge about dog training and behavior modification? Me. Who doesn't have the above? Family. /le gasp Would you look at that.... /sarcasm XD

Finally....damn my adrenaline rush. It's making me perk up when I least need it. lol.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 am

Bad day? :?

I feel bad for you and Abby. I know you have put a lot of work into helping her and to have it all undone just like that because no one is listening is a real bummer. And the blame is always passed to the dog for biting and they have to pay the price for human error...

I really do sympathize with you for having people mess up your hard work although my problem (hopefully) won't lead to sam biting...
I'm trying to teach sam how to greet people who come into my home but my partners dad won't listen to me/continues to push him away (Sam's head play)/talk or yell at him (praise in sams head) and to sam, it's all good, encouragement and he pesters and jumps up.
I get him to be good when my mum and other people visit but then his dad comes round for a weekly visit to see the kids and it all messes up again and we start from the beginning. 42kg of dog launching him self at/or barking at house guests = no fun... But because he looks after my partners, brothers labradoodle, he knows what he is doing and he knows best how to deal with my dog (different breed, different temperament, different way of doing things but he knows best :roll: )...

I hope you manage to get something sorted and can begin working with abby again even if the day is less hectic for you... It's really not fair for her and they should realize that before she gets in trouble...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Darwin goes in to have his first sperm collection and analysis done tomorrow! I'm excited for him--but a little nervous. You're going to do *what*? LOL
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 pm

good luck darwin :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Darwin goes in to have his first sperm collection and analysis done tomorrow! I'm excited for him--but a little nervous. You're going to do *what*? LOL
Good luck! I'm sure it'll go fine :)
Though I must say, it is a bit of a strange experience to witness... LOL
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 am

Um . . . I think I heard enough about the whole "stud" process from Teresa and Tracy this summer when we were talking about it (at the dog show) :shock: TMI for me - I can only hope they were kidding :oops: :?

If/when Max breeds, it's gotta' be up to the vet, or anyone but me, to make sure he's "ready" to go. :P

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 am

I've had to help with one (and got to clean up, yuck!) it's actually quite interesting, although you have to be pretty mature about it. The owners were great about the whole thing but someone mentioned to a few of the people outside what was going on and we got a lot of laughter and rather snippy comments.

Anyways good luck!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 am

Katlin wrote:I've had to help with one (and got to clean up, yuck!) it's actually quite interesting, although you have to be pretty mature about it. The owners were great about the whole thing but someone mentioned to a few of the people outside what was going on and we got a lot of laughter and rather snippy comments.

Anyways good luck!
[Gulp] Ok then, so they weren't kidding :( I may be old enough to be everyone's mom/grandma here, and I'm sure I could hand someone the towel, but I'm not sure I could be "mature" enough to handle that (literally) :lol:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 am

Dottie wrote:
If/when Max breeds, it's gotta' be up to the vet, or anyone but me, to make sure he's "ready" to go. :P
Make sure he is comfortable with people touching him so if he is able to breed he will not freak out when someone touches him.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:13 am

Darwin did very well at the vet today. His results were excellent: 950 million sperm! They like to see 800 million for a dog his size. Good boy!
The vet had aother dog owner there for us as a teaser to get Darwin excited. It worked! He got to sniff her posterior while the vet collected him. No big deal. Really. But then it took a while for him to "go back in". The vet had me take him for a walk. Lol! She said not to worry because people were used to seeing males hanging out at their practice. Lol! It is, after all, primarily a reproductive clinic. It is what it is. And I'm fine laughing about it.
Hey, I got to see his sperm under a microscope. Very cool! But maybe its me, I got over the embarrassment and ik factor as an undergrad in biology. Plenty to see there! Like the largest bacculum. . . From a whale. . . And your prof is so impressed that she says "whoa!" really loud! Haha. That was our class trip to the Carnegie museum of natural history private collection area. Lots of bacculum there. Haha!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:13 am

Haha yeah I always feel bad for them after, the poor dog is like "omg....now what??!!"
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Kicking off the weekend with a puppy rescue! The neighbor's GSD puppies somehow got out of their garage and into the road. We put them back in with their mama. They were soo cute! :D I can't figure out how they got out though. Unless someone deliberately let them out... :|

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19 am

Valravn wrote:Kicking off the weekend with a puppy rescue! The neighbor's GSD puppies somehow got out of their garage and into the road. We put them back in with their mama. They were soo cute! :D I can't figure out how they got out though. Unless someone deliberately let them out... :|
Hmm, that does sound quite suspicious. Perhaps you should keep an eye out incase this happens again and catch the person who released them out IF it was really a person. But some pups especially certain breeds have a way of escaping as well so maybe they somehow hudinied out and no one caught them except you

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm

It's a ranty post...you have been warned. XD

Let's face it...house hunting is stressful. :\ But my family telling me I'm not allowed to vent about it when my agent tells me we have to start all over again for the 4th time? How am I supposed to deal with the stress, geez? /heaves a heavy sigh

I also don't understand why my mom would keep trying to suggest looking in an area that, even if I can afford to purchase the house, I wouldn't be able to maintain it (taxes, utilities, HOA fees, etc)...probably the only plus (to me) is that I grew up in the area and it's close to family.

Furthermore, I really don't understand why parents think the whole "reverse psychology" thing will work on a 20+ year old. -_- Oh, and the "well, there are people worse off than you so you don't have a right to complain." Yes, it's true, I know that, but I don't agree that I'm forbidden to be heard just because there are people in a worse situation than mine. I sympathize with them, yes, but that doesn't mean my issues are completely irrelevant and non-existent.

/end rant

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

arianwenarie wrote:It's a ranty post...you have been warned. XD
Furthermore, I really don't understand why parents think the whole "reverse psychology" thing will work on a 20+ year old. -_- Oh, and the "well, there are people worse off than you so you don't have a right to complain." Yes, it's true, I know that, but I don't agree that I'm forbidden to be heard just because there are people in a worse situation than mine. I sympathize with them, yes, but that doesn't mean my issues are completely irrelevant and non-existent.
/end rant
Oh yeah, this type reverse psych has been going on since, I guess, time began. I'm 60+ and remember my parents telling me, at a very young age I might add, "Think about all those poor starving children in China who would eat for a week on what you leave on your dinner plate." Now, China practically owns this country :roll: , but I won't get into politics here - just sayin' - some things never change and that includes how our parents try to manipulate us. I, as a parent, know I have used "guilt" on my kids - didn't always work, but we all do it at some time or other. :lol: I'm assuming you're not a parent yet, or at least no kids old enough yet for you to try the whole "guilt" thing.

As for your mom wanting you to become "house poor" so she can have you closer (?) or you can have a nicer first home (?), just tell her, as long as she's going to absorb the additional costs you can't afford -- no problem 8-), bet she backs off. ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:11 am

Dottie wrote:Oh yeah, this type reverse psych has been going on since, I guess, time began. I'm 60+ and remember my parents telling me, at a very young age I might add, "Think about all those poor starving children in China who would eat for a week on what you leave on your dinner plate." Now, China practically owns this country :roll: , but I won't get into politics here - just sayin' - some things never change and that includes how our parents try to manipulate us. I, as a parent, know I have used "guilt" on my kids - didn't always work, but we all do it at some time or other. :lol: I'm assuming you're not a parent yet, or at least no kids old enough yet for you to try the whole "guilt" thing.

As for your mom wanting you to become "house poor" so she can have you closer (?) or you can have a nicer first home (?), just tell her, as long as she's going to absorb the additional costs you can't afford -- no problem 8-), bet she backs off. ;)
Lol. My mom has used that phrase on us when we were kids... Personally, I don't plan on having kids - I'm afraid I can't commit to children. The furry kind (dogs/puppies), however, I'm sure I can commit to, so I plan on having a huge pack of those. :lol: Plus, I'm sure I'll be a bad parent....I'd constantly be yelling "hey! Don't do that, don't do this!" at them like I used to with my niece and nephew. :oops:

Oh, and about that last part....she did offer that up in the discussion, but here's the thing: she'll be moving in with me if that's the case. That defeats the purpose of getting my own place. :?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 am

Wow.. I am just SO tired.. But SO relieved too!

I have just passed my final exam.. Sigh..
>> Nino <<

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 am

Congrats Nino! I'm sure you did great!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:16 am

Congrats Nino! :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 am

Nino wrote:Wow.. I am just SO tired.. But SO relieved too!

I have just passed my final exam.. Sigh..
Mazel tov, that makes two of us :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Congrats to you both! Now what? :D
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Congrats to both of you :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 am

Well currently I'm working to make money to prepare for postgrad in the Winter of 2013

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

So as you all know I tend to Sam (my roomate's lab) for longboard trips. I was using an Ezy-Dog quick fit harness but then I noticed that he tends to cough if we go too far. Finally I discovered it's because the chest piece is too narrow to have all my weight on it. Soooo...I ordered an x-back harness! I'm quite excited to see how it will work out, it's custom made by Alpine Outfitters so I hope I measured properly. I'll post a picture when I get it :) Quite excited I must say! It will look exactly like the picture below but it will say Sam :)

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:49 am

Nice one Katlin, I hope it fits well too :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29 pm

It is Friday October 12. 2012 and my young waterfowls have flown off again :( leaving behind here only the non-migratory elders who I don't even hang with them.

Good-bye to all 48 adolescent Canada Geese, I hope they all make it back next year though I know that I usually never see most of the males again.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:25 pm

So shopping at Petsmart the other day, a woman asks if Ulric was a Malamute. I tell her no of course and she is like, "Oh, you see I have a Chow that is 75% Timber Wolf and I'm looking for a Malamute to breed with her to make temperament of puppies better to handle for new owners".
I wanted to face palm so bad, but only said, "He is fixed, so no puppies from him," and walked off. I did not see her dog as it was not with her, but somehow I have a feeling that there was not really any wolf in it.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Lol, there usually isn't... People frustrate me when knowingly lie about those things :roll: ... Actually, people frustrate me [/end] :oops: :lol: (not a people person :oops: )

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Rhokk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Rhokk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:55 pm

...a Chow that is 75% Timber Wolf...
Wouldn't it be considered a Timber Wolf with 25% Chow? ._.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I tell her no of course and she is like, "Oh, you see I have a Chow that is 75% Timber Wolf and I'm looking for a Malamute to breed with her to make temperament of puppies better to handle for new owners".
:o Wow, that's the stupidest thing I've heard this week, for her to talk about wanting to breed her wolfdog with someone's "Malamute" right off the bat. It's a good thing she didn't know about Ulric's breed or that could have caused problems considering how shady this person sounds :shock:
Rhokk wrote:
yeah but only IF her dog is truly a wolfdog with 1/4 chow, though I'm sure some of us here are already suspecting this person of fibbing. It's no different from some few other cases I've read on facebook of those claiming their "wolfdogs" to be a cross between (insert whatever dog breed) and a Red Coywolf while they're currently protected in captivity and reserves plus the chances of anyone having one of those rare animals to breed with a dog is slim to none.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Rhokk wrote:
That was just how she said it. She seemed like the type who got scammed thinking they got a wolfdog when all they get is a Malamute mix. There seem to be lots of those out here in Texas, people claiming they have a high percentage wolfdog, saying they have papers to prove it. There was one guy who had a black husky mix at the dog park and said it was a 75% wolf as well :roll: I saw nothing wolfy about it.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:49 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:There was one guy who had a black husky mix at the dog park and said it was a 75% wolf as well :roll: I saw nothing wolfy about it.
Like a guy who walked into our vetclinic claiming he had two wolfhybrids, F1 in his car, if we could check them for health.
He walked in with two black/white, white masked and bleu eyed husky's :lol: And he really believed it!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Karen wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:There was one guy who had a black husky mix at the dog park and said it was a 75% wolf as well :roll: I saw nothing wolfy about it.
Like a guy who walked into our vetclinic claiming he had two wolfhybrids, F! in his car, if we could check them for health.
He walked in with two black/white, white masked and bleu eyed husky's :lol: And he really believed it!
And like a guy my mom was dating for a while who had a black and white husky and was convinced it was a wolf hybrid just because he had papers...
I probably could make a list of all the times I came across people like this, but I'm too lazy :P

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote: And like a guy my mom was dating for a while who had a black and white husky and was convinced it was a wolf hybrid just because he had papers...
I probably could make a list of all the times I came across people like this, but I'm too lazy :P
Off the top of my head, at least 14 people with northern-spitz type mutts have told me that they own a high-content wolfdog and 5 claimed to me in person to know people who told them their dogs are wolfdogs including one visa student from South Korea (it was clearly a pug-mixed with some Asian spitz-type mutt :lol: ).

It still shocked me to learn that there are such people like that in Korea considering it's a country where living Grey wolves in the wild are no longer known to exist. While there are still a hand full of captive ones in zoos and a few legitimate cloned ones in captivity, it is 99% IMPOSSIBLE for any private dog owner anywhere let alone in the Korean peninsula to breed any dog with a Korean wolf!

I'll be honest, only one time that I was ever tricked into believing that a dog was a wolfdog was from a person who was a friend of my dad when I was a little kid who introduced his agouti Malamute on a visit while we were on our way to fishing and due to her intimidating size (I was 6 back then) I believed it when the man said that his dog was part wolf. He probably got scammed by someone else for all I know. I wised up years later when I started looking more into the multiple wolfdog societies and realized just how much crap there is out there.

I've even heard from a person visiting Toronto from the British Columbia claiming to have bred his captive wolves or wolfdogs with Russian wolves back in 2003 while out walking with my Buddy. I just said "cool story" and left. Pah, why the hell would someone even waste time importing a wolf from Eurasia into Canada just to breed them with our native wolves? From my understanding a captive Grey wolf in British Columbia, Alberta, or any western provinces in my country has a higher chance of breeding with a dog OR a captive coyote (and there's a hell lot of those in the southern Canada) than with any wild animal from a far away continent!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:59 am

HOLY TAIFEUNG!

The weather in Toronto and many other parts of Eastern Canada got so intense thanks to the hurricane Sandy. I literally got lift off the ground for almost 10 seconds while rushing home after tutoring English to a Korean student! It was as if I was being picked up by a tornado, thank Siddharta it was no more than 10 secs or I would have been dead from the fall! I'm not going out tomorrow or the day after that! It's too dangerous and I'm warning everyone else in southern Ontario, New Brunswick, Quebec, and all of the Eastern States near the hurricane warning sites to STAY HOME! Don't go out unless you really have to! :shock: Oh my I serious thought I was going to die today!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Happy Halloween :D (for those ho have not seen it on fb :D )

I hope people in the path of the hurricane stay safe...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 pm

:lol: :lol: Very nice!
Happy Halloween everyone! :twisted:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Awesome!
Yeah I curse Sandy very much. Normally I like to write a freaky joke on all the forums I visit at this time of the year but not this year. Anyways, Happy Halloween everyone.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 am

Happy Halloween! Sandy sure put a damper on things here. I even forgot to dress up for work today!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 am

What a cute picture Terri! <3
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Yay! Darwin tested negative for Lyme Disease. Our vet is floored because 6 months ago his levels were at 23--so his immune system kicked in and kicked butt! Yay!
I'm so happy our boy won't suffer from Lyme. Terrible, terrible disease.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Thank you :D
Hawthorne wrote:Yay! Darwin tested negative for Lyme Disease. Our vet is floored because 6 months ago his levels were at 23--so his immune system kicked in and kicked butt! Yay!
I'm so happy our boy won't suffer from Lyme. Terrible, terrible disease.
Yay for Darwin!

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Wonderful news for Darwin! :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I've noticed something odd about Sam (well, my bf pointed it out actually)... (apologies if this sounds odd but i can't think of anyone else to ask...)

When i have a cup of tea, i have biscuits (typical English style me :lol: )...

Anyway... When i have my biscuits, i give Sam a doggie biscuit (or sometimes half a digestive)... He will take his biscuit, lay down and place it on the floor in front of him... Won't eat it, won't even sniff it... Until i eat mine...

I thought it may be coincidence because i eat mine more or less right after he's taken his so i left mine in the tin for half hour. Sam just lay there desperately trying to ignore this biscuit (drooling but ignoring it nonetheless)... I took one bite of mine then he ate his...
Then i left mine for 25 minutes, same again...
Tonight i left mine for an hour... same again except he got bored and went to sleep...

I've not taught him to do this so i was wondering (sorry if this sounds a ridiculous idea, i'm just full of those :oops: ) if dogs cold be natural gentlemen or something equivalent in the doggy world... My boyfriend said he's done this for a loooong time but i've never actually noticed...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

It's quite a common recommendation by behaviourists that the humans in the house should eat before the dog(s) to establish themselves as higher ranking. Maybe Sam is acknowledging your place in the pack as above his?
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Misaya wrote:It's quite a common recommendation by behaviourists that the humans in the house should eat before the dog(s) to establish themselves as higher ranking. Maybe Sam is acknowledging your place in the pack as above his?
Oddly enough, that never crossed my mind :oops: That is most probable... It's just seemed odd at the time and it only seems to happen with biscuits... It is also only me he does it with and if i have no biscuit he will eat it... While he is waiting, he slightly lowers his head and puts his ears slightly back, not flattened but a bit angled... Like he's listening... Yes, more i think about it, it makes sense, thank you... he's less odd, more polite now :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 am

The end of Halloween marks the beginning of the International remembrance month. Lest we forget

/\ Namo Anmitoufu

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 am

TerriHolt wrote:
Misaya wrote:It's quite a common recommendation by behaviourists that the humans in the house should eat before the dog(s) to establish themselves as higher ranking. Maybe Sam is acknowledging your place in the pack as above his?
Oddly enough, that never crossed my mind :oops: That is most probable... It's just seemed odd at the time and it only seems to happen with biscuits... It is also only me he does it with and if i have no biscuit he will eat it... While he is waiting, he slightly lowers his head and puts his ears slightly back, not flattened but a bit angled... Like he's listening... Yes, more i think about it, it makes sense, thank you... he's less odd, more polite now :D
Interesting... I've been taught sort of the opposite: if a dog waits for you to watch them eat, then they're displaying they can eat whenever they want. Only the pack leader(s) get to eat whenever they want. <-- as I've been taught.

Or maybe he's just waiting for some sort of cue from you to tell him it's OK for him to eat it? o_O I know my dog won't eat something that I place on the floor in front of her until I tell her she can eat it. There was one time I forgot to give her a release command to go eat her dinner and I came back 10 minutes later to her front legs drowning in drool. LOL.