Breed Discrimination

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Breed Discrimination

Post by kendrrat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 am

just curious if anyone else saw this-

https://news.change.org/stories/oklahom ... ed-banning

basically talking about how Oklahoma is thinking of banning pit bulls from the state. how idiotic is that?! just thought i'd spread the info... this couldnt possibly go into effect right??!

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Breed Discrimination

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 am

What the &%@(?! That's insane! :evil: :shock: There is so much BSL in this world but I would have never EVER guessed it would come to this!
Here for a "howling" good time :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 am

I signed the petition against it :evil: Not happy that they would try something so stupid!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

Danish goverment made a law last juli prohibiting 13 breeds from being bought and sold (those who was there before the law have to wear a muscle, never be loose always in a leash max 2 meters long when being in public places)

Here is the list of the 13 dogs:
1. Pitbull Terrier (this was made illigal already in 1991)
2. Tosa inu (illigal since 1991)
3. American Staffordshire Terrier
4. Fila Brasileiro
5. Dogo Argentino
6. American Bulldog
7. Boerboel
8. Kangal
9. Central Asian ovtcharka
10. Caucasian ovtcharka
11. South Russian ovtcharka
12. Tornjak
13. Sarplaninac
>> Nino <<

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 pm

In Holland they tried to ban the pitbull too. There was a law, the RAD, that if you couldn't proof that your dog wasn't a pitbull it got euthanized. If you had an American Stafford without papers, it was a pitbull and you could lose him. There were only regulations for his shape and size, not about the character. For example, if your dog who looked like a pitbull had run away and got in a shelter, they would put him down, no matter what. A lot of dogs died with no good reasons. And it had the opposite effect, other big breeds where seen a lot more. Like the Cane Corso, American Bulldog, Boerboel, Fila, Kangal, etc. Breeds who are stronger and less suitable for living in Holland than the pitbull is. Now they don't do it any more, but they will test your dog on character if there are complaints, like if your dog bit someone.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 pm

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 am

Banning breeds does not work. Pitbulls are meant to be extinct in the UK now, but drive through any inner city and you will spot them, usually attached to some inappropriate looking 'person'.

Laws that judge on character are far better and fairer. Saying that I am have no idea why anyone would want to own a pitbull as they are so unpredictable.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 am

an observation list was just published

these are dogs that is considered on the Revised list in 2013

Polski Owczarek podhalanski
Cao fila sao miguel the
Dogue de Bordeaux
Bullmastiff
Mastiff
Mastino napoletano
Cane Corsa italiano
Staffordshire bull terrier
Dogo canario
Anatolian shepherd dog
Ibero Dogge (okay - this MUST be a typo cause I don't think this is a dog!)
>> Nino <<

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 pm

-

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 pm

wen wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:no idea why anyone would want to own a pitbull as they are so unpredictable.
they aren't more unpredictables than any other breed; otherwise why would they be used as search and rescue dogs ?
I suppose that I have based my opinion on the bad press they get in the UK, but I suppose they are like any other breed, its the owners that are the main problem.

That is some list, some I have never heard of and those that I have I have never considered dangerous, well any more dangerous than any other dog.

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:25 am

from what i have heard with pit bulls (having no real experience owning them myself) the breed was made to fight other dogs, but to bond strongly with humans. this is not to say that they can never be friendly with other dogs/animals or anything. of course each individual, under the right circumstances, can be just as loving/friendly as any other dog i believe. but i think the reason pits so often have issues is because they were bred to be a certain way, and also many owners dont know how to properly deal with the breed.
but again, thats just speculation and observation.
my boss has an adorable super friendly pit. i used to work at a dog boutique where MANY of our costumers owned pits and swore that they were just as loving/friendly/stable (if not more so) than any other breed. maybe its all circumstantial? in the wrong/right hands anything can happen? i dunno.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 am

-

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 pm

wen wrote:I use to say : the breed doesn't make the dog. You can have a pit loving to care about chicken (cf the pit of Texas-girl on you tube), and a labrador hating children etc etc ;)
You are right, but I do believe that it's much easier to make a labrador love children than to make a pitbull love other dogs (in general, pitbull are loveable with children). A pitbull is no monster and most pitbulls are really nice pets, but you have a big chance that they will be dogagressive. It's what they have been bred to do, generation after generation. And I do believe that these breedselections have influence on the behaviour of a particular dog. Like you shouldn't expect from a greyhound to herd a group of sheeps or a retriever to guard your property.
But they way you raise your dog has a lot of influence on the dog too, but with some breeds things can be easier or more difficult than with other breeds. ;)

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm

-

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm

i'm just guessing hear but, tam breeders wouldn't breed an agressive dog and other breeders wouldn't breed an agressive dog... but the sole purpose of a pitbull was dog fighting. so the more agressive a dog was, the more likely it was to breed. it would be no good to the people who wanted agressive dogs to breed the non agressive dogs. it's just a trait that got bred into them thru no fault of their own. it's just human greed and blood lust that has degraded a breed of dog. they are. they have been designed to fight.

just 1 example of why i don't like humans :(

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 is the most prominent of the various laws that cover dog ownership in the UK.

The act bans the breeding and sale or exchange of four kinds of dog - pit bull terriers, Japanese Tosas, the Dogo Argentinos, and the Fila Brasileiros. Cross-breeds of those dogs are covered by the law.

Any other dogs "appearing... to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose" are also banned.

Under the act, a dog classed as being "dangerously out of control in a public place" can be destroyed. The owner can be fined and imprisoned for up to six months.

If a dog injures someone, the owner can be jailed for up to two years.

Other pieces of legislation covering dogs include the Animals Act 1971, which says the keeper of an animal is liable for any damage it causes, the Guard Dogs Act 1975 and the Dogs Act 1871.

Originally pit bulls were bred for bull-baiting, a gambling "game" where bulldogs attacked bulls in pits.

But when that was banned in 1835, breeders turned their attention to the practice of dog-fighting.

Pit bulls were bred to maximise aggression, to have a high pain threshold and a willingness to fight to the death.

They were not trained to be aggressive toward humans, and are said to make loyal, obedient pets.

Owners claim well-trained dogs will enjoy being around children and adults.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

Pittbuls were created for fighting, yeah, but it was more that 100 years ago and generations and generations of dogs have followed. Since then, the good breeders only look for beauty, and temperament.

Other breeds were created for fighting, and other for killing rats (ferocious adversary), and now are "innofensives" pet for a lot of people.

Moreover, as you said : the pitbull had to be aggressive toward dogs, but absolutely not toward human, as the pitmen brought them back home after the fight, where they lived with the family. Any aggressive one was eliminated.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

I think the main problem with Pitbulls is that they have recently had the fighting breed back in, usually by people with little or no regard for the dog. It now means that some of the pitbulls in the UK at least are also people aggressive, as they are used as status symbols and means of threatening other people or gangs. People in the UK that own pitbulls are usually gang or drug related, so want an aggressive dog to protect them, this does not do the breed much good.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 am

In Norway:

Pitbullterrier,
amerikansk staffordshire terrier,
fila brasileiro,
toso inu,
dogo argentino

and dogs mixed with wolves!

If you live in Norway and your dog is similar to an illegal breed of dog, you must have paper on which breeds in the dog, otherwise it will put to sleep.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 am

susann wrote:In Norway:

Pitbullterrier,
fila brasileiro,
toso inu,
dogo argentino

If you live in Norway and your dog is similar to an illegal breed of dog, you must have paper on which breeds in the dog, otherwise it will put to sleep.
The Danish one have all those dogs on it (though I don't think that wolf mix'es are on it)
we have 8 more breeds on the list
and a list of 12-13 which is under observation for the next 2-3 years
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 am

Nino wrote:
susann wrote:In Norway:

Pitbullterrier,
fila brasileiro,
toso inu,
dogo argentino

The Danish one have all those dogs on it (though I don't think that wolf mix'es are on it)
we have 8 more breeds on the list
and a list of 12-13 which is under observation for the next 2-3 years
Crazy... :( What about those with illegal breeds.. are they allowed to travel trough Denmark to Germany?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm

susann wrote: Crazy... :( What about those with illegal breeds.. are they allowed to travel trough Denmark to Germany?
Hmm.. Yes - but if they take the dog out it has to be in a leash with the max of 2 meters and have to wear a muzzle..
>> Nino <<

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 am

I'm so glad I haven't heard anything about Doberman's yet..such a relief really.

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:22 am

*sigh* We've got new laws coming in here to AUS (or certain states)
Targetting pit bulls and 'look a likes'
Scary times :(
It saddens me that idiots are allowed to own dogs
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 am

EskyTheHusky wrote:*sigh* We've got new laws coming in here to AUS (or certain states)
Targetting pit bulls and 'look a likes'
Scary times :(
It saddens me that idiots are allowed to own dogs
yeah :(

it saddens me that it's the dogs that get blamed and banned. any fool knows it's not the breed at fault, it's how the so called loving owners fetch them up to be. but to save time and effort... just blame the dogs. i even believe that a pup from a fully agressive line could be come a great (but not fully % trusted) family pet with the right owners who know the right training...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:31 am

Many of the pit bulls that were bred by knowledgable owners for temperment make some of the most wonderful pets. The ones that were bred for fighting are not always agressive. If they are not aggressive, they often suffer unimaginable things. These are the dogs that are considered useless and become the bait dogs.

We have many pit bulls and crosses in our classes and most of them of are wonderful. They are eager to learn, get along great with other dogs and they adore their owners. This is a working breed and they definitely need to learn boundries. I've lived next door to them and they can be wonderful pets.
TerriHolt wrote:just 1 example of why i don't like humans
This really sums it up for this breed. So many fall into the hands of those who want a status symbol - not a loving family member.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary