New TDR-logo

A place to share your artwork of Tamaskan Dogs or wolves and/or your favorite artwork by other people.
Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

New TDR-logo

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi,

I have never been really fond of the TDR logo. It doesn't look real professional, and more like a temporary placeholder to me.
Now with recent events I think, it might be a good reason to change it into something, that looks representative - done by a professional.
I talked to Debby about it, and she also thinks, it might be a good time to change it, and she asked me to post this topic.

Any thoughts on this? Do we happen to have some artists among us (and I really mean people, who do stuff like that on a serious and professional basis)?

Rahne

Re: New TDR-logo

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Well maybe it's time for a change but TBH I do like the current logo and I don't really see why it's not professional. :?

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Because it looks like a painting by a little schoolgirl to me (no offence).
The idea is nice, and it doesn't have to be entirely different, but it would be a lot nicer, if it got a makeover, I think.

It's the same with the logo of this forum. Looks like it has been done by a mother, who has basic knowledge of computers, while the soup for her baby was cooking on the stove for another 10 minutes. (again no offence) That's just not, how logos and banners are designed.

And I think the TDR should present itself to the outside world in a serious manner. The logo plays an important role for that purpose, and it is NOT met by what we got here.

Again, I don't mean to bash on the people responsible for the designs. Please don't get me wrong.

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree that a new logo would be nice. My problem with the current one is that there are too many colors. I really like the Blue Bay Shepherd emblem http://i50.tinypic.com/10e339s.png Something similar would be nice I think.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Can we all please be mature in how we present our opinions. It is possible to be constructive and suggest change without using simile that will only offend, irrespective if you say no offence it can still be taken as so.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

My apologies, english is not my mother's tongue, and it's easier to express myself in metaphors sometimes.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Well I'm very happy that we have so many great people in this community that are willing to spend their time designing, so we can have a nice banner and logo for free :)
I'm not worried in the slightest that it doesn't look totally professional. The TDR (or this forum) isn't a business that is out to make money... The dogs and owners matter.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Manuel wrote:My apologies, english is not my mother's tongue, and it's easier to express myself in metaphors sometimes.
Understandable... i have noticed this a few times with others :D Just, try to use less offensive ones? :)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:18 pm

I'll do my best, promise. :D
Even though it's hard to present flattering metaphors, when trying to explain, why I dislike something.
I'll try, I'll try. ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Manuel wrote:It's the same with the logo of this forum. Looks like it has been done by a mother, who has basic knowledge of computers, while the soup for her baby was cooking on the stove for another 10 minutes. (again no offence) That's just not, how logos and banners are designed.
We hold seasonal contests here in the forum inviting members to design the banner and of all those entered, they are voted on to see which banner will be up for that season. It is all for fun.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

I could see a new one being made, to keep distance between Blustag and Blufawn since they still will be posting ours... It may be confusing to have the same thing or slightly different than theirs on our websites? Otherwise I like the TDR logo

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

For me that blue looks really out of place. :? These are just really quick color changes. I pulled the purple, green and brown out of the rest of the logo.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Manuel wrote:I'll do my best, promise. :D
Even though it's hard to present flattering metaphors, when trying to explain, why I dislike something.
I'll try, I'll try. ;)
Thank you kindly :D

as for a new logo, Lynn will keep using it regardless so a new one that stands out as different and distinguishes between the 2 would be a great idea... Not that i'm good at creating or designing them... :?

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I have to agree with Manuel, and as stated in another forum post, I also think that it looks anything but professional.

The current logo makes me think that the original 3 designers were trying to go for some heraldik inspired look with two howling Tamaskans as carrier-animals for the actual logo, but there are too many colors and the style from the Tams sitting on the sides and the Tam in the round emblem are so different, they don't look like they'd belong to one another.

Basically there is always a set of 2-4 colors (which have certain meanings), and the crest in the middle actually can be used as standalone.

I studied Heraldik at glasspainting school and personally I really like the idea of some modern version of this? A modern version basically because most heraldik animals look really derpy, especially the lions and wolves. I don't think the logo has to be so royal or pomperous looking, I think something more clean and simple would be nicer.

Either way, I feel challenged by this so I would love to help designing a new one (for free of course)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Valravn wrote:For me that blue looks really out of place. :? These are just really quick color changes. I pulled the purple, green and brown out of the rest of the logo.

I like the bottom one with the brown rim, it looks more natural to me. Still like the blue too though. I am conflicted.

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey Tatzel,

well put. I'm a sound guy, and I couldn't really tell, what I found so disturbing. But yeah, you pretty much nailed it. I think it has to be simpler, less detailed, stronger outlined. Less colors, more focused.
I'm looking forward to see, what you're making of it. I know an artist, and I'm going to ask him, if he could come up with something as well. Even though I don't know, if he will chime in for free.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't you feel we run the risk of confusing people if we start to change all of this right now? All that's changed since last week is 2 Breeders have gone and the committee has been expanded. If we start changing the identity people may gravitate towards the other sites out of confusion. Let's focus on what needs to be done now, and if things like this need to change later then we can look at that then?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Why not start designing it now?
Once it done it's done, and it's up to the TDR to decide, when to use it.

Dallas
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Dallas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

nivenj wrote:Don't you feel we run the risk of confusing people if we start to change all of this right now? All that's changed since last week is 2 Breeders have gone and the committee has been expanded. If we start changing the identity people may gravitate towards the other sites out of confusion. Let's focus on what needs to be done now, and if things like this need to change later then we can look at that then?
Agree with you. Though there have been some good ideas (I'd like to see Tatzels version) but I also like the old version (maybe without the two dogs?)
Has anyone contacted Lynn/Jennie about the logo? Did she say that she is going to keep using it?
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in

morningstar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by morningstar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:23 pm

I like the centre piece -I just think the dogs either side (that look hand drawn) look too cartoon-ish, silly and not formal enough.

why not have several people design one and vote for the best one?

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm

morningstar wrote:why not have several people design one and vote for the best one?
This.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 pm

morningstar wrote:I like the centre piece -I just think the dogs either side (that look hand drawn) look too cartoon-ish, silly and not formal enough.

why not have several people design one and vote for the best one?
I understand that some people do not like the side wolves. That said please keep those "crtique" posts civil. I don't like the "silly" and "cartoonish" comparisons. If you don't like them that's fine, but if you don't have something nice to say...(need I finish? ;) )

On another note there are many things that can be changed with the logo, the question is: should they change? I think Lynn and Jennie will simply take the new logo and run with it. Then what? That said a new logo is a new start so maybe it is appropriate...?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Manuel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Manuel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Off topic - what's bad about "cartoonish"? That's a style-description, not a judgement and surely no insult.
I understand you want the climate here to stay nice. But please keep it within reason and don't go over the top.

Let's just look at some ideas. I'm really excited to seeing something, that is worth being a bumper-sticker. :)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Valravn wrote:For me that blue looks really out of place. :? These are just really quick color changes. I pulled the purple, green and brown out of the rest of the logo.

I like the bottom one with the brown rim, it looks more natural to me. Still like the blue too though. I am conflicted.

I like the green one.
Image Image

morningstar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by morningstar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Katlin wrote:
I understand that some people do not like the side wolves. That said please keep those "crtique" posts civil. I don't like the "silly" and "cartoonish" comparisons. If you don't like them that's fine, but if you don't have something nice to say...(need I finish? ;) )
I'm called describing WHY I don't think they are appropriate-they just don't look very professional.

If you are told WHY that 'something' doesn't look right in someone's views it gives you something to work on surely?
- I did media production as a course and found it very frustrating when someone goes 'I like it/don't like it' and don't explain why - pointing out the good points and the bad points of something gives you things to think about keeping or changing so you can improve. Good and bad detailed feedback is vital when designing making something -its not putting the original creator down as its constructive and useful.

Just saying 'I don't like it' wont give people things to think about. detailed feedback is far more useful to everyone.

I think the art style of the centre image (the dog/mountains) looks fine but the outer two dogs do not match the same art style and looks out of place so unprofessional (aka more 'childish') -consistent art style really does make a piece work.

I'm not trying to upset anyone but I think the more people talk about and critique the logo the better ideas people can come up with!!

I am looking forward to seeing the logos people design - if they go ahead and let everyone who wants have a go at designing. :lol:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Gotcha :)

Well if anyone would like to draw something out it certainly won't be ignored :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 pm

I'll look forward to see what you create Tatzel!
Katurah

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 am

you guys have to consider that THIS logo was actually chosen by the public some 1-1½ year ago, this means that it was actually not just the committee people sitting there saying - well I think this is what we should have, but a lot of people voted.

Besides this, I think it would be a VERY good idea to hold a possible change of the logo back at least some months.
It would be very much first to change the whole TDR Committee setup, and then the logo plus all the other things at the same time, and we would dislocate us from ourselves making it hard for people to associate the TDR with the old TDR principle
>> Nino <<

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 am

I can't believe I worked half the day on this haha

Okay I uh
I have never really made a Logo before, so I have zero experience, but I kinda like how this turned out
My only issue with this Logo is that at one point when resizing the text on the ribbon gets hard to read. Anyone got any suggestions for fonts?

Anyway, this was funnnnn to do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:43 am

I like it very much Ricki!

You know what, I think we should open a new forum competition for the new TDR logo and then pick the best 9 for a poll where everyone gets to vote on their favourite. I'll ask an admin later about this.

Anyone else interested in creating a new logo, don't hesitate to share it here ;)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:49 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
You know what, I think we should open a new forum competition for the new TDR logo and then pick the best 9 for a poll where everyone gets to vote on their favourite. I'll ask an admin later about this.

Anyone else interested in creating a new logo, don't hesitate to share it here ;)
This is not of upmost importance at the moment, I would give it a month or two before we burden the committees time anymore.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:54 am

That's why I said I'll ask later and not now. :lol:

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 am

nivenj wrote:Don't you feel we run the risk of confusing people if we start to change all of this right now? All that's changed since last week is 2 Breeders have gone and the committee has been expanded. If we start changing the identity people may gravitate towards the other sites out of confusion. Let's focus on what needs to be done now, and if things like this need to change later then we can look at that then?
I agree that we shouldn't have to be the ones to change our looks, who we are or how we present ourselves. This was voted on by the members and I really don't want to start changing logos every year. For some this is no big deal. But for others, this means changes to our websites, contracts, business cards, printed club materials, etc. which means a lot of work and extra cost.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 am

AZDehlin wrote:
fangjingtuanlucas wrote:

This is not of upmost importance at the moment, I would give it a month or two before we burden the committees time anymore.
No, a new logo isn't important right now, but it gives those of us kinda caught in limbo while the future of the breed is being decided something to do. I look at it as a "just for the fun of it" type thing. *shrug*

eh I don't think I explained that right… too tired.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:27 am

Valravn wrote:
No, a new logo isn't important right now, but it gives those of us kinda caught in limbo while the future of the breed is being decided something to do. I look at it as a "just for the fun of it" type thing. *shrug*

eh I don't think I explained that right… too tired.
I get what your saying I am sure plenty of people would love to see everyones ideas.

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 am

Tatzel wrote:I can't believe I worked half the day on this haha

Okay I uh
I have never really made a Logo before, so I have zero experience, but I kinda like how this turned out
My only issue with this Logo is that at one point when resizing the text on the ribbon gets hard to read. Anyone got any suggestions for fonts?

Anyway, this was funnnnn to do!
Ohhhh love this! This was really great of you to do! It's beautiful :D

Anyways, although I agree the logo is not of the most importance in what is going on around here, a logo is extremely important for any organization. Seeing as Lynn & Jenny aren't giving it up anytime soon and it was announced that there will be a new TDR website why not try for a new logo. I don't really like the current one and seeing as we are "starting a new" here I don't see the harm :)
Katurah

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 am

If you guys want something to so (which I totally get why)
I think it would be better to open a new thread under the name - "if you had made the TDR logo.." and then give people a chance to come with their own suggestions.
I would very much like for this topic to be locked and/or Archived since I feel that it creates greater confusion than resolution, and to me giving the expression that the logo ARE changing right now, which it isn't

I like the logo last made (was it Tatzel?) but looking at it I wouldn't choose it as a new logo for several reasons.
One being that I find some of the colors VERY string which I don't much care for, two that the dog doesn't look Tamaskan to me (don't misunderstand me here it is very nicely made, but ears aren't quite right and muzzle looks too wide and short to me), and last reason would be that if the logo WAS to change I would want a read thread between the current and a new oner, which means that I could go for an update of the logo - but it would still have to have the same elements in there, except for the "wolfdog without the wolf" part, so I would want to keep the dogs on each side - which could be re-done in a nicer style, the outside of the emblem I would want to keep as it is (slightly changes could be accepted) and the middle might be best to keep with same motive although this would probably be most open for discussion.

Last but not least, I pleed you guys, open a new topic with a different and less confusing name so that people do not doubt that the thead is just for fun ..
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

moved this topic to the Artwork section - feel free to post ideas, suggestions and examples.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Sylvaen wrote:moved this topic to the Artwork section - feel free to post ideas, suggestions and examples.
Thanks Debby

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Please note, we recently updated the official TDR logo.

The 'wolfdog without the wolf' motto has been removed and the color scheme has been adjusted slightly to match the forum and the TDR website: http://www.tamaskan-dog.org With so much else currently in transition, we agreed that a drastic change would only add to the general confusion so that is why we decided upon only minor modification (for now).

A high resolution version is available here: images/TDR_Logo.png
Please update your websites accordingly. Thank you! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Just want to say I LOVE the new register site.
The colour, the layout, the fonts. EVERYTHING. It looks so much more professional.

Well done & thanks to the committee. Can't wait until there are more dogs in the database but I understand it's a mammoth task entering everyone's information. Must try to wait patiently. ;-)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm

It looks great! :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey guys, I havent been on the forum in a while (so busy!) but I just saw this and figured I'd add my input.

I am the person who did the inner part of the emblem (the dog with the mountains in the background) and I also sketched the bodies of the two howling dogs to either side (the heads were changed).

Originally when I submitted the sketch of the howling dogs it was just that- a sketch- and not a finished piece so I can understand why people might think they look "cartoony" or "unprofessional". They were pretty much unfinished, for me at least.

I think the recent changes to the logo look beautiful! The colors are gorgeous. I think what might be a nice finishing touch to the logo, without changing it entirely, would be to just finish the howling dogs with the same treatment the rest of the logo received. I think the dogs should look like the inner part of the emblem. This would make the whole logo look professional and clean without changing it and causing confusion.

If this sounds like something people would like I'd be willing to work on it myself to keep the consistency of the logo. But let me know what you think!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I will be open for a change of the logo (an update).. I just want to keep this till at least things have settled a bit so we don't change too much all at once
>> Nino <<

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 pm

I think the logo is nice, it could be better when the three Tamaskan would look the same, as the one in the middle. But I can't do it, I'm not handy with that kind of stuff. ;) And for now, it is not the most important thing if you ask me, but it would be nice to see what people can make! ;)

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Great work by everyone invloved! The new logo, new website and new committee all look great! After everything we've all been through as a community this is brilliant and just what we need to make a fresh clear start...onwards and upwards!

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 am

Nino wrote:I like the logo last made (was it Tatzel?) but looking at it I wouldn't choose it as a new logo for several reasons.
One being that I find some of the colors VERY string which I don't much care for, two that the dog doesn't look Tamaskan to me (don't misunderstand me here it is very nicely made, but ears aren't quite right and muzzle looks too wide and short to me)
Please explain what you mean by saying the colors are string, I like getting critique but I don't really understand what you mean by saying it like that, it would be great if you could reword that sentence!

As for the look of the supposely Tam, you're right! I did use an actual wolf picture as reference because google spits out a frontal of a wolf much easier than a decent mugshot of a Tam. Also, Tams differ so much from one another, I wouldn't even know which one would make a fine representative and thus should be used as reference when working from one. :(

As for the updated logo, I agree that the green looks so much nicer now!
I took it and fiddled around with it for a bit to make the Tam pop out more, I think the mountains in the back are a bit too saturated and dark perhaps? What does the community think?

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk30 ... rasted.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am

aaand another one, in an attempt to copy the style which was used for the middle part!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk30 ... liners.png

If anyone wants to edit or refine this, go for it!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 am

Tatzel wrote:aaand another one, in an attempt to copy the style which was used for the middle part!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk30 ... liners.png

If anyone wants to edit or refine this, go for it!
I like it but their is still a slight difference in style... it's hard to explain.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 am

:lol: I have to say Ricki, your version made the two dogs look more like actual wolves ;)