TK, the Shikoku Ken

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Crisp
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

TK, the Shikoku Ken

Post by Crisp » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:36 am

Since I found a couple threads mentioning Shikoku Ken, I thought I might start my boy's thread first of all my dogs.

TK is an 8 year old Shikoku Ken from O'Ikon Nihon Ken in Ohio. I am his second owner and I got him in February of 2013. His color is referred to as "black sesame" (or kurogoma). He is 21" (plus some change) and 40lbs - his breeder commented that he seemed rather large for a Shikoku, but I know many Shikoku who weigh more than him. I do not know any that are taller than him, though.

He is out of Yano Sou lines - Yano Sou lines were some of the first dogs exported from Japan and they all seem to have a very predictable appearance and bold black markings. This is just my observation, though. I know he (the breeder) worked very hard to preserve the Shikoku during his lifetime.

As far as personality goes, TK is... well, he's a bit special. He loves to be given direction and is incredibly clever. I often compare him, more readily, to an over-emotional Australian Shepherd than any other dog I've owned. He's a great outdoorsdog, but is unreliable with strangers. He is not a guard dog, but could make a good watch dog. TK (and the breed in general) seems to have a medium-to-high incidence of stress and anxiety. This doesn't effect all dogs, but most seem to be reactive, anxious, or frenetic in some way.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: TK, the Shikoku Ken

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:40 am

Very nice looking. The way you explain his personality reminds me of our mix breed, who we believe is a German Shepherd x Labrador/Australian Cattle Dog.

Crisp
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Crisp » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 pm

I guess, a bit more on the temperament/TK's personality...

They definitely aren't a terribly obedient dog if they have no bond or expectations with/of the person telling them what to do. TK is very fear-based, though, and all of his anxiety and aggression comes from that fear, so it might be easier for me because we've trained so much to have him see me as something that makes the fear go away. When I got him, I had to train him to avoid most of the things that made him anxious or to simply stick to me because there was just no acclimating him to them.

Now that we've worked a while on that, and at the suggestion of the breeder (who said that his sister - still with the breeder - went through a similar phase), I started using very tiny amounts of flooding. Once he becomes habituated to a stranger's presence (my friends and family), I pick him up and pet him (which he loves) and have the stranger pet him if they'd like. Once that happens, he appears to be much less stressed out over their presence and even begins to be curious about them.

I was initially very nervous to use flooding - I'd never used it before and it seemed potentially disastrous to use on an anxious dog, especially, but it does seem to have its merit with TK.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:41 pm

He is stunning!