Hyena

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hyena

Post by Nimwey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

No Tamaskan or other "wolf" for me this time, I got myself a "hyena" instead. ;)

Jokes aside, there was for the time being not any breed that I *really* wanted (at least no one that I could easily get, or probably, handle), so I stumbled across a dog on a rescue site I was already familiar with. I was not planning on getting a rescue dog, I was looking around just for fun, but when I found her, and since there was no breed I really wanted now, I thought, why not?

The picture that just stuck with me. Not sentimentality as much as "What a FREAKY looking dog." :shock:

Now, there was about a week of talking with the organization (Dinas Ark) and thinking it over before I made my decision and put a "deposit" if you will, on her. (There was also another person interested in this dog, but the woman I spoke to in the organization, the one that knew the dog, thought I would make a better home for this particular dog.)

The dogs are all Romanian shelter/street dogs, and this organization takes a number of dogs up in their car (a new, fresh, specially designed truck for transporting dogs, I saw it myself) every two or three months, to good homes. Most of the work they do however, is on site, in Romania, spaying and neutering and caring for dogs.

Now my dog, Hyena, was not from their shelter per se, but from a sister organization in Romania, Trei Frati Patati, which had much poorer conditions. About 300 dogs in a shelter which was basically a wreck (as you can see in the pictures). They were evicted just the month before Hyena got to Sweden, but they have new lands now, with much better conditions for the remaining (and new, since there are always more) dogs. :)

The second time my contact person on Dinas Ark visited Hyena, after it was decided she would come to me.
This time, the dogs at Trei Frati Patati were standing in mud, and it was only days or weeks before they were all moved from there.
But as you can see, she was a pretty sad dog here.

This video was taken when she, and one of the other dogs she lived with (Tully, who was going to Sweden on the same trip) were temporarily moved to a different shelter the last few weeks before they came to Sweden. (While the other dogs at Trei Frati Patati were moved to completely new lands after being evicted.)
She was obviously very happy there, after never seeing anything other than the inside of her enclosure her whole life, and living in filth and mud for the last few weeks.

I really tried to come up with a new name for her, but I couldn't find something I really liked and thought fitting - so Hyena just stuck. :P She is a very submissive dog, but not nearly as much as the shelties I've grown up with (we had one when I was 4-15, and my mother and sister have one six year old sheltie each now, Daphne and Mimas). She is very unsocialized and the first few weeks walking her between houses here (apartment complex) was not fun, as she would get scared and try to pull away in every direction.

But still, she did much better than expected and surprised me every day. The woman I have as contant person on Dinas Ark warned me that the dog might just run in under furniture and refuse to come out for the first couple of weeks, most of these dogs have never been indoors, are not housebroken, have never walked in stairs, on a leash, etc. But Hyena took very well to all of these things, she even learned to go with us in the elevator (something I had considered very "hardcore training" for such an unsocialized dog) very soon, just as fast as Wikus did. (He has to take the elevator because of his bad leg.)

Housebreaking, separation anxiety, destroying things, etc. has not been any worse than with Wikus or my first dog (a rehomed young whippet) at all. But still, she is certainly not like any swedish dog I've known. She has very strong body language, is extremely good with other dogs (but very reserved around people other than me - completely uninterested and if they get too close, will growl silently), also understands my body language very well and "takes no for an answer". (If I have food and she comes running, one look and she goes back to the other room. I don't see this as shyness or fear at all, just sound respect. ;))

She reminds me a lot of the wolves and their pack life I see in films and documentaries that way - because these dogs have lived feral for a few decades, natural selection has done its job, and of course, being raised with a pack of dogs outside has given her a very different upbringing from most other dogs. (Some of it good, some of it bad.)

I've had her for a few months now, and there was about 1½ months from the time I first saw her and contacted the organization, to the day she came to Sweden.

So, the reason I got her was partly because I thought, if there is no purebred dog I really want now, I might as well do a good deed and give a dog in need a better home. And also, I thought it would be a very interesting challenge to take on a dog like this, and it would provide me with a new range of experience the shelties, my whippet or Wikus could/can not give me.
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Hyena

Post by Nimwey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Kisses. :3

That look. She has cropped ears - I don't know why - so that only her eartips are cut. I guess that's what gave her that name.

Best friends. :)

A few weeks ago, less than an hour before this picture was taken, a man just opened a window, peeked out and shouted "Is that a WOLF?" :o I was so shocked I just went "...NO!?" :?
I mean, fine that some people think a husky is a wolf if they see it running loose in the middle of the forest, but this dog, close up, walking on a leash among people? :roll: (That picture is lying BTW, she is more brown than gray.)

Hyena-face. :P

Other comments we've gotten include...
"That dog looks like it's been crossed with a hyena."
"That's her name". :P

"What breed is that gray dog? I've never seen a dog like that before!" :o
(Gray? She's brown with black stripes!)

And, just yesterday, a kid said "What a COOL dog!" as we walked by, and something about the color. :P

Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Congratulations!! She really does look awesome and her name really suits her. :D
I bet she can't believe her good fortune: from a shelter in Romania to a pampered live in Sweden.
Well done for rescuing her! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 pm

She is beautiful... Absolutely lover her colour...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 pm

She's cute! So good that you are able to be her forever home off the streets :)

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Isnt her coat brindle?

Lovely dog! :)
Bit weird what they have done to her ears... only the tips.

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Congratulation on the rescue!
She's very beautiful and have a very fun color and marking!

Wish you a lot of happiness with her!

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Karen wrote:Isnt her coat brindle?
yes she is brindle

she is gorgeous! I normally don't like brindle very much but it suits her perfectly
love the name too :mrgreen:

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 pm

O what a lovely Hyena, big hug from us!!!
What a beautifull doggie!!!
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:05 pm

She's gorgeous! Good for you for taking her. And the name definitely suits here :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm

The tips of the ears is probably from frostbite, we see that a LOT here. She's so cool looking!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Katlin wrote:The tips of the ears is probably from frostbite, we see that a LOT here. She's so cool looking!
Makes sense

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks everyone. :)
Vajente wrote: yes she is brindle

she is gorgeous! I normally don't like brindle very much but it suits her perfectly
love the name too :mrgreen:
I didn't like brindle either initially, I used to think they looked like dirty things that had been walking in rainy weather, and a car drove by and splattered them with mud. ;) Then I met a brindle whippet named Lakrits (Liqourice) on a dog show five years ago, and liked them much better after that. :P (Still don't really like the really dark brindles though, at least not on sighthounds.)

On Dinas Ark's Facebook page, where they say what dogs have been booked, among many other things, when they notified that Hyena was going to Sweden, some people said "I hope she gets a better name" and "I understand the name, but still kinda mean". :P
But I kept it.
Katlin wrote:The tips of the ears is probably from frostbite, we see that a LOT here. She's so cool looking!
That makes sense. :) In the fourth picture there is another dog behind her with the same kind of cropping, I've seen that a number of times in Romanian dogs. (And checking the pictures of her, it was done between January and March 2012 - her first winter, as she was born in early spring the year before.)

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

She looks so neat!!
Also yay, another romanian shelter dog on the forum, and brindle, too!