Captain Jack Sparrow! (The Doberman!)

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Captain Jack Sparrow! (The Doberman!)

Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:50 am

Someone said I had to share pictures of Jack, so here are a couple of nice recent pictures I've taken of him. He's currently 5 months old, purebred Doberman clear of the Z factor. I've had him since he was the size of my shoe at 8 weeks old, we just finished our puppy class last week (we were the best in our class! :)) I would like to see Jack start his CGC around 9 months, and if our dog trainer says he's right for it i'd LOVE to get into schutzhund when he's around 2....i'm not really what else I should say here other than I love this dog & training him more than anything else i've ever done & I hope i'll have a Tamaskan to do it all again in the future. On the other hand....this ISN'T a doberman forum...so i'm more than eager to answer any questions anyone might have about Doberman's... Please feel free to ask/inbox me! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Captain Jack Sparrow! (The Doberman!)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 am

He is gorgeous... Doberman's are one of my favorite dog breeds for sure.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 am

He is lovely, it's a breed I like especially now they get to keep their tails.

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 am

Gorgeous dog!

Are you still allowed to crop their ears over in the USA?
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 am

awww, he lovely. i'd say i like dobies but thats true of almost any dog lol.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Awww what a beautyful dog! :D He's very handsome

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:33 pm

EskyTheHusky wrote:Gorgeous dog!

Yep! Docking of the tail & cropping of the ears are part of AKC breed standard, but there's nothing wrong with all natural! I just love the cropped appearance. & thanks for everyone's compliments! :)

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Jack is very handsome!! :D

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Doberman wrote:

Yep! Docking of the tail & cropping of the ears are part of AKC breed standard, but there's nothing wrong with all natural! I just love the cropped appearance. & thanks for everyone's compliments! :)
That's interesting to know.
Both practices are now illegal in Australia, I had no idea if other countries could still do it. :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 pm

He is very cute :)

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:40 pm

:D doberman's are awesome! such a great dog to have around the house :lol: someone who has the horrible thought to break in definetly has second thoughts seeing that dog :lol:

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:46 pm

CSpiker86 wrote::D doberman's are awesome! such a great dog to have around the house :lol: someone who has the horrible thought to break in definetly has second thoughts seeing that dog :lol:
That's if the terrifying intruder aggressive toyfox terrier-shih-Tzu mix doesn't scare them off! Once Maico sounds the alarm Jack's soon en route...(they patrol their fenced in yard) :P

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 pm

EskyTheHusky wrote:
Doberman wrote:

That's interesting to know.
Both practices are now illegal in Australia, I had no idea if other countries could still do it. :D
I've had the pleasure of talking to a couple people from Australia with all natural Doberman, they called them "Doberoo's"!:D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 pm

i have never agreed with cropping and docking and don't see much point in mutilating your dog and there is no point to it appart from human vanity. i mean, the dog doesn't really care what it's ears look like and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too chuffed about been dumped with people it doesn't know, surgery, anesthesia, splints and tape. and i've heard it's not a guarenteed sucsess so you could end up with 1 pointy ear and one floppy ear.

docking is illegal except in working dogs but i'm not sure how the breeders work this out. they have to be docked within 5 days so the breeder must know if they go to working homes or pet homes in the 1st 5 days... it's all too confusing to me :oops:
Ear cropping has been banned in many countries, particularly in Europe, and is illegal in Newfoundland and Labrador under the 1978 Animal Protection Act. It is also banned in Australia, New Zealand, and Scandinavia. The vast majority are performed only for cosmetic reasons and ‘tradition’, and, despite the fact that some dog owners claim they do it to prevent ear canal infections, there is no medical benefit to having a dog’s ears cropped. The Kennel Club in the UK has banned the exhibition of dogs with cropped ears or docked tails in dog shows as of 2007.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:17 am

lovely dog :D

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 am

TerriHolt wrote:i have never agreed with cropping and docking and don't see much point in mutilating your dog and there is no point to it appart from human vanity. i mean, the dog doesn't really care what it's ears look like and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too chuffed about been dumped with people it doesn't know, surgery, anesthesia, splints and tape. and i've heard it's not a guarenteed sucsess so you could end up with 1 pointy ear and one floppy ear.

docking is illegal except in working dogs but i'm not sure how the breeders work this out. they have to be docked within 5 days so the breeder must know if they go to working homes or pet homes in the 1st 5 days... it's all too confusing to me :oops:
Ear cropping has been banned in many countries, particularly in Europe, and is illegal in Newfoundland and Labrador under the 1978 Animal Protection Act. It is also banned in Australia, New Zealand, and Scandinavia. The vast majority are performed only for cosmetic reasons and ‘tradition’, and, despite the fact that some dog owners claim they do it to prevent ear canal infections, there is no medical benefit to having a dog’s ears cropped. The Kennel Club in the UK has banned the exhibition of dogs with cropped ears or docked tails in dog shows as of 2007.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard something like this...Well I don't want this to get ugly so i'll use careful wording...Alright well Jack came tail docked, ears cropped so that wasn't my decision. So there's that, what you call mutilation, others call art...strange sounding yes, but if you look into it there's alot more to it than you think, anyways, depending on the age of the crop, and the owners level of care determines how long it takes for the ears to stand. Oh...and the length of the ears, as there are different styles(military, medium, and the long show cut.) The longer the crop the longer the posting process takes. These dogs right from the very first one created in Germany had the tail docked and the ears cropped...it's just how it is to some, others not so much. If it makes you feel any better the tail gets done when the puppies are 2-3 days old, before their eyes open, and all that, otherwise it's MUCH more painful getting it done later, ears usually get done between 8-12 weeks, depends on the vet/cropper. I firmly believe at least 1 good thing that comes from ear cropping, throughout the posting of their ears the pup/dog becomes much easier to handle, and work with, it becomes much more use to people handling them in general...oh and the surgery takes under 30 minutes,and fully healed within 7-10 days, not that bad..trust me, I would know. Hope this was at least mildly helpful, I could probably re-edit this a million times and add more info haha..

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:10 am

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's done humanely.
I have seen some really horrible hack jobs, much better left in a professionals hands IMO.
We remove whole organ systems from our dogs and no one bats an eyelid.

Do the dogs get the cropping done under anethesia ?(can't spell that word)

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:10 pm

I whole heartedly agree, I've seen some nasty ones myself...poor dogs, but I made sure I had someone professional do Jack's, experience shows, the guy did a beautiful job, I'm assuming you work in a vet clinic? Bless you for your job, I wish I could help animals like that...I don't think I could emotionally handle it personally!
EskyTheHusky wrote:I don't have a problem with it as long as it's done humanely.
I have seen some really horrible hack jobs, much better left in a professionals hands IMO.
We remove whole organ systems from our dogs and no one bats an eyelid. Where I tool jack, and everywhere else I know do put the dogs under before surgery.

Do the dogs get the cropping done under anethesia ?(can't spell that word)

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:17 pm

:lol: I wish I worked in a vet clinic.
I just spend waaay too much time on dog forums :lol:

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Pretty dog. I wish you much success in work!
As soon as saw the post I knew there would be a debate over the ears and tails thing.
It's illegal in our country as well, though only recently I think. I prefer the natural look of dobermans, but I also understand older people not wanting to change the breed, which they lived and worked with for their whole life. The old and the new look is radically different.
I think dobermans are lucky that they have nice tail. Even I can understand the discontent of rottweiler breeders - rottweilers with their funny tail look strange even to me;]

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Czertice wrote:Pretty dog. I wish you much success in work!
As soon as saw the post I knew there would be a debate over the ears and tails thing.
It's illegal in our country as well, though only recently I think. I prefer the natural look of dobermans, but I also understand older people not wanting to change the breed, which they lived and worked with for their whole life. The old and the new look is radically different.
I think dobermans are lucky that they have nice tail. Even I can understand the discontent of rottweiler breeders - rottweilers with their funny tail look strange even to me;]
I like the rottweilers tail, they do not look so menacing with a tail, but I am sure it can be more like a weapon when it wags :lol: I also prefer the natural look of the doberman, but as long as it is done humanly by professionals, especially the ears which I would imagine would be painful if not done right, then I have no real objections. Saying that I am also glad that it is illegal to crop ears and dock tails in the UK, even if it is just to stop stupid people doing it, when they should have got a professional in.

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Thank you! Yeah it comes with getting one unfortunately, luckily the good far outweighs the bad :). I like both looks honestly, but just kind of wanted the standard look a little more. Rottweilers have beautiful tails, I love them! Far more than the Doberman's natural tail anyways.

Doberman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Doberman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:50 pm

That's one of the best opinions i've ever heard, there's so much stupidity & only so much that can be done these days.. :|
JulieSmith wrote:
I like the rottweilers tail, they do not look so menacing with a tail, but I am sure it can be more like a weapon when it wags :lol: I also prefer the natural look of the doberman, but as long as it is done humanly by professionals, especially the ears which I would imagine would be painful if not done right, then I have no real objections. Saying that I am also glad that it is illegal to crop ears and dock tails in the UK, even if it is just to stop stupid people doing it, when they should have got a professional in.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 am

Lovely dog! Actually it is still allowed here too (just take a look at Snoopy's tail, which is docked). I'm not a huge fan but in the case of the doberman the ears (floppy style) get infected very regularly.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose