Your Kennel Areas / Puppy Rooms

A place to share your photos of you and your family.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Your Kennel Areas / Puppy Rooms

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:26 pm

I thought it would be a nice idea to share photos of your Kennel Area / Puppy Rooms / etc (where the dogs stay, even within the house, if they have a special place of their own) - we can learn a lot from seeing how other people do things and might get some new ideas for our own houses / kennels.

So, to get the ball rolling, I'll start. ;)

My 2 dogs both live indoors with us in our large apartment. They have the full run of all the rooms and they usually sleep on the couches or the bed (either ours or the guestbed). They do have a dog pillow, but they don't go on it too often. :roll:

For those who haven't seen it yet, these are the pictures of my Puppy Room / Nursery, when I had my first litter in May.
I slept in the same room with them for over 2 months, to provide round-the-clock care.

You can see more photos of my Puppy Room HERE. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Your Kennel Areas / Puppy Rooms

Post by MoirAran » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Great topic :D

Our dogs live with us in the house. During the day they have always access to the kitchen, hall, living room and garden. They mostly sleep on the couch.

When I go upstairs, doing the laundry or whatever, they come after me, always curious :mrgreen:

During the night Moira sleeps in the bedroom of our boys (there's an open staircase to our bedroom and she is afraid to walk on). Aran sleeps in our bedroom in the attic.

When we had the litter last October (time really flies) the whelping box was in our living room. I "slept" for 3 weeks in the living room next to the whelping box. We moved last May so pictures are taken in our previous house.
We borrowed the whelping box, actually it is the same whelping box where Aran was born.

Whelping box

Moira testing the whelping box, she didn't like it so she made a mess :lol:

Puppies !!!!!

Daddy talking to his child :)

My dad made a box in the garden we could do some pups in. Couldn't watch 9 of them all at the same time when I was alone, lol

Iris with her pup Kyara. In the back there is a kennel, but when we moved we have sold it. Dogs are now always inside the house when we are not home.
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Cute pictures!

Next time I will definitely get a whelping box like that. I figured a big cardboard box would be cheap and disposable, pretty handy for my first litter... especially as I'd already spent hundreds of euros to fix up the puppy room (the walls had been full of holes and peeling off-white paint) so it took about 2 weeks to strip off all the old paint, re-plaster the walls, sand down the plaster and then repaint all the walls in nice bright colors. In the future I'll definitely invest in a better whelping box though: one that I can reuse over and over. In the future, I won't use carpet either! (We ended up ripping up the carpet because the puppies peed all over it.) So tile flooring is a must... I was also thinking about a thick layer of sawdust (as an absorbent material to soak up the pee / poop) but I was concerned that the dust might get in their lungs and cause damage. Anyway, before I have my next litter we'll definitely have to move first... so my next puppy room will be different, but I will definitely incorporate everything I learned this time, for next time. :)

Having a puppy pen in the garden is a really good idea. We borrowed a puppy pen but it was a bit small... when we took them outside we would put the pups in the pen and then let them out one at a time, otherwise there would be puppies running off in all directions and it got too chaotic. Definitely a fenced backyard is a must. I managed without but it really wasn't easy.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 pm

We were lucky we could borrow the whelping box. And my dad is a carpenter, so that come in handy too.

He made the puppy pen. And also we were afraid the whelping box would leek pee on our wooden floor, so my dad made something to put the whelping box in. A big wooden board (that can't soak water) and he made a small edge on it and we put a canvas on the bottom and so the whelping box would just fit in it. The canvas was easy to clean everyday

We put newspapers in the whelping box, looooooads of newspapers every day lol, and a "vetbed". No idea how it's called in english. It is a special dog blanket, looks like a sheep coat, and it absorbs amounts of pee :)

A fenched garden a a huge advantage, just like tiles on your floor :mrgreen:
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm

I use these Crufts Puppy Pens when I have puppies. I have several and buy extra panels to make them larger. http://www.croftonline.co.uk/products.a ... FREEDOM900
Inside I put a whelping box so that mum and puppies have lots of space to run around, will have a dig around and try to find pics.
These puppy pens can be erected in minutes and can be used indoors or outside. I cant recommend them enough.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Those are nice. The pups then always have a safe place to walk around and play and can't hurt temselves or do damage to your own stuff.

Maybe I have to buy some for the kids :lol: :mrgreen:
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Here is an aerial pic of our house long way from the road and no neighbours for at least a half a mile away. We have paddocks where we exercise the dogs all fully enclosed. All dogs live in the house at night but are mainly out during the day being exercised or taken out in my campervan, and trailer when taking them out for training ..pics to follow.

Here is the outdoor play area for when I cant keep watch on them. Fully covered and sheltered with outlook across the fields. Concrete and steel stops any from escaping :lol: and much easier to keep clean. They are all allowed into the paddocks to play when I'm around but not when I'm out shopping etc.

Here is one of my girls this afternoon happily sitting in the puppy play pen. I have lots of extra panels so can make it really big. Nice thing too is you can move it anywhere with no effort. ;)

My Campervan and dog trailer which I use not only for the shows but also for taking the dogs on outings such as to the beaches, forests etc. I also take them camping with me. They have also been all the way to Scandinavia and back and half way across Europe and back more than once :lol: Must be a prize for the most traveled Tamaskan ?? :lol: :lol:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Woooow! Awesome house. I am so so jealous. What a fantastic place! :D
I think the outdoor kennel area is great, properly built for dogs and with perfect shelter from the elements.
As for the puppy play pen... I love it! I think I'll get something just like that for my next litter. It is ideal!
The campervan is really handy too. I'm still looking to buy a decent large-sized car for my cross-Europe trips.
Thanks for sharing these pics. Really nice. :)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 pm

My kennels :) (Complete with Halloween decorations lol...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Lynn: That looks like a really great house. I love the Kennel too!
This is like a dream house :lol:

I like that the puppy play pen is really smart, I like that the puppies can see through it :)

Jennie: Looks cosy ! :D
>> Nino <<

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Blustag wrote:My Campervan and dog trailer which I use not only for the shows but also for taking the dogs on outings such as to the beaches, forests etc.
Maybe that is the trailer we are supposed to be living in (according to RPK) lol :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 am

LOOOOOL well lets hope this topic puts suspicious minds to rest. :)
There sure are some silly people out there. ;)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:54 am

Jennie, I love your kennel. Looks very comfy! :D

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:01 am

You cant really tell but she is lying on my legs, so quite cosy and warm for me too, my own hot water bottle :)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks for the kind compliments, I will try to put up some more pictures for you when I find them of the whelping box already for birthing inside the puppy pen. The idea of that is that mother can be in the box with puppies and can come outside into the pen without her getting into the rest of the house and moving her puppies.... This has happened lol... She has plenty of room and her water and food can be outside the box but within the pen so that puppies when older cant eat it. I remove the box and extend the pen once the pups are 4 weeks old and getting about. Mum of course spends more time away from them giving both mum and pups space from each other.

My campervan is made up of 2/3rds living accommodation and the other 1/3 at the rear totally cut off from the front which has been converted to carry the dogs safely. I can carry up to 10 to 11 dogs in the back safely. If I am taking anymore out then I use the trailer which also houses the dogs safely and has side windows, roof vents and electric fans. I took the whole lot down to the UK Tamaskan SHow last year so many people saw all this for themselves.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 am

I really love the idea of the puppy pen and the whelping box inside of it. Definitely gonna remember that for the future ;)

Nice to see other people's houses and see where they live with their dogs. Will look and/or take some pics of our new house. It's smaller then our previous house and the garden is 1/5 of what we had before, but now we live near the forest and the beach :D
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Lynn that is one big "Double-wide trailer" you have there! LOL

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:27 pm

We will more than likely be holding the UK Tamaskan show on our property next year so you can all come and see for yourself.
(only skinny people allowed though or you wont fit in the trailer! :P)

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Woooow! Awesome house. I am so so jealous. What a fantastic place! :D
I think the outdoor kennel area is great, properly built for dogs and with perfect shelter from the elements.
As for the puppy play pen... I love it! I think I'll get something just like that for my next litter. It is ideal!
The campervan is really handy too. I'm still looking to buy a decent large-sized car for my cross-Europe trips.
Thanks for sharing these pics. Really nice. :)
It Is A Fantastic Place :mrgreen: Bit Hard To Find But Great. Lyn & I Stayed With Lyn & Jenny when We Picked Mishka Up, They Hadn't Moved In Long So Where Still Unpacking But What A Great Place For The Dogs ( and people ) :mrgreen: We Hope To Visit Again Soon Lyn Jenny & The Dogs Always Make You Feel So Welcome :D

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey I can squeeze in LOL

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Dammit.. I cant squeeze in a trailer with your guys haha :D
>> Nino <<

muensterland
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by muensterland » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi together.
While we have Pups we clean up our dinning room and fence it for the pups and their Mum.
All our dogs are living in the house and it is the easiest way to have a look at the pups the whole day. Summer is in contact with the other dogs and all dogs are easier to handle when they see each other.

After four or five weeks it wasn't possible to handle the pups in the small area in the house. They moved outside into a bigger area where they could play and do whatever they want.

The area is also fenced with a small fence. Summer is able to jump inside and get outside whenever she wants to.

The whole arey is full with many things where the pups can play with. Mostly they loved their tent and it was really rubbish after they left.

Summer at her rest area.

Pups after a playing round.
best wishes from Kirsten and Karsten
http://www.tamaskan-vom-muensterland.de

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Great photos Karsten / Kirsten! :D
It was so amazing to see the puppies and this area you made for them... it was really fantastic.
Very professional and safe - an ideal setup. :)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Karsten and Kirsten have an excellent setup, I would have more dogs if I had a sofa as big as theirs, and all the dogs share it. There are soooo many dogs in the house, but it is spotless and the pups they produce are healthy and HUGE because of such good beginnings.
They set a good example for breeders everywhere and should be proud to show off the fantastic area they have made. :)

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:13 am

great pics, great area for the pups. Thank you for sharing :D
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Emielle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Emielle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Wow, these pics are all really great. Interesting to see the different set-ups people have.
Email: emielleface@gmail.com

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:25 am

Fantastic photos. Many great ideas as we plan and build our kennels :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 am

I must say that when I saw Karsten and Kirsten's set up when I went to visit the puppies I was VERY impressed with what they had done. The pups had a lovely area to play in as you can see and they were VERY well looked after. Well done both of you and thankyou for sharing. :D

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:03 am

Great pictures! Really loved looking through them. I sooo hope Sasha can have little babies one day as looking at those lovely muensterland piccies has made me very doggy broody!! :lol:

She started her very first season today so it feels just a little more possible now she is growing up !! Just loads of health tests, saving up tons of money for equipment and getting a successful mating standing in between me and my litter!! :D :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks for all the pics, it is lovely to see where the puppies start life and how well cared for they all are. Its amazing all the stuff you need it is probably a good job we are going for a male, it stops me being tempted!!

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Love those photos Can't wait to build

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 pm

This is the whelping box inside the shortened puppy pen

This is the extended by one panel puppy pen with box inside. It also has removable shorter gates to stop pups getting out but mum can step over. This pen can be made much larger with more panels and can be either very long and narrow or a very large square depending on where you want to put it.

I use newspapers underneath vet beds for puppie's comfort inside the box with a heat lamp suspended over. W. Box measures 48" x 48" if anyone is interested.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm

That's a great solution, nice to see. Definitely we wanna do in the future with the puppy pen like that.

All pictures are such an inspriration :D
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Kaerager
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kaerager » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Thank you for posting the pictures. It is great to see the setups people have. :)

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:57 pm

that's great I love it idea dang if only the rooms where bigger in houses here in Au.
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

TheNorth
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by TheNorth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Great pictures from Kirsten & Karsten :) it looks like you put a lot of love in the work!!! The puppies have a beautiful area !!!!! LIKE IT!!!!! :mrgreen:

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 am

Here is the run and kennels we have for the dogs. They are not in them very often, but it is handy to have somewhere to put them if required for any reason. They still have the Christmas lights up!

Ayasca in Mischa's kennel. Yes, Graham even made them nameplates - pity they cant read :)

Most of the time they are inside on the couches :)

- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 am

MoirAran wrote:All pictures are such an inspriration :D
+1

what a fantastic set up and one which we should all aim to follow

great work guys

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Wood or cardboard for a whelping box?

I found corrugated plastic boxes for sale on the internet--but I could build one out of wood much cheaper! Then of course there's always a free cardboard box from Lowes.

Can you folks chime in with the advantages and disadvantages of cardboard and wood? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks so much! We're off to go shopping for Freyja :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I don't think cardboard would be suitable, it isn't really strong.. (unless i'm thinking of something else) Between the two I would go for wood but I don't really know much about it.

I will probably be getting this one for Konah:
werpkist.jpg
It's made of Polycarbonate and Aliminium, it's strong but very lightweight and easy to clean.
I've also started shopping, just ordered a puppypen today :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:30 am

Very nice!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:42 am

nice! when you planning puppies for? just curious :mrgreen:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm waiting for Konah to come into season, could be any day now.. (she had a 'silent' one end of March)
I think the same goes for Hawthorne ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:32 pm

awww, exciting! she will have amazing puppies... well, just look at her :P tell her to hurry up ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Wow, that's nice! I'd rather spend my money on something like that than the corrugated plastic one--which is about $300. I would think the model you have would be durable over the years. Thanks for sharing this :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Rahne wrote:I'm waiting for Konah to come into season, could be any day now.. (she had a 'silent' one end of March)
Oh you must be so excited! May I ask...what is a Silent one?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm

TerriHolt wrote:awww, exciting! she will have amazing puppies... well, just look at her :P tell her to hurry up ;)
Thanks! I will tell her to hurry up lol. :D
Boreal wrote:
Rahne wrote:I'm waiting for Konah to come into season, could be any day now.. (she had a 'silent' one end of March)
Yes, well she didn't bleed or shown any other physical signs of a heat. All the males were very interested in her though and tried to hump her. It stopped after about 2 weeks so I suspect she was in heat but it wasn't visible to me, it's called a silent heat then ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Oh thanks for that Rahne ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Rahne wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:awww, exciting! she will have amazing puppies... well, just look at her :P tell her to hurry up ;)
Thanks! I will tell her to hurry up lol. :D
Boreal wrote:
Yes, well she didn't bleed or shown any other physical signs of a heat. All the males were very interested in her though and tried to hump her. It stopped after about 2 weeks so I suspect she was in heat but it wasn't visible to me, it's called a silent heat then ;)
I wonder if Saga had one of those, the males where very interested in her about a month ago, but I did not see anything. I keep waiting for her to have her first one.

MIKA
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MIKA » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:21 am

Blustag wrote:Here is an aerial pic of our house long way from the road and no neighbours for at least a half a mile away. We have paddocks where we exercise the dogs all fully enclosed. All dogs live in the house at night but are mainly out during the day being exercised or taken out in my campervan, and trailer when taking them out for training ..pics to follow.
Please, let me be a puppy in this great area :lol: . That's a place of my dreams :D .
I'm sorry if my online-translator doesn't correctly translate
Greetings ... Martina