Aydin (Blustag Wiggins) Nevada x Bodie

A place to share photos of your Tamaskan Dogs: puppies, adults, etc.
JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Aydin (Blustag Wiggins) Nevada x Bodie

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm

You do so great with him, he will kind grow over the SA , in his kind of way, in his time.
And didn't you know that the dog chooses his owner, and not other wise.
So you must be his best choice, don't doubt that please.
He don't want anyone else.
He looks so happy!!!

[/quote]Haha taking pictures of things he destroyed is definately a good idea. Also I put old clothes throughout the house so he will destroy those instead of other things (no matter how well I try to hide everything, he will always find something to destroy). It's so nice that you're getting another dog for Joe, I hope you will have a great time (your future pup is really cute)![/quote]

I can't wait anymore to Nana (Saxon Hera) comes to us. Just hope the house is puppyteeth proof enough, if not I will find out soon, hahaha.
If you like I can post a few pictures (maybe on facebook) from the sofa make over, and other stuff he ripped apart.
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks all for your kind comments!

His separation anxiety is improving and I think he's growing into a beautiful dog (but ofcourse I'm biased)! Not a day goes by without children yelling "look, a fox!!" at him, haha. I think it's because of his cute red ears, I love his red ears!
JoaquimJoe wrote: I can't wait anymore to Nana (Saxon Hera) comes to us. Just hope the house is puppyteeth proof enough, if not I will find out soon, hahaha. If you like I can post a few pictures (maybe on facebook) from the sofa make over, and other stuff he ripped apart.
Thank you, I will contact you about the photos. It's great Nana is with you now and doing so well, I follow all the photos on facebook. So curious to see how she turns out! :D

Here are some photographs of this week with Aydin. He really started to love water and loves to play in it.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 pm

OOow he looks so happy and he is very beautifull, all one with nature in the pictures.

Nana is cute, she has also very red ears, foxy like :lol: , happy she feels better now.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

He's so cute and such a happy puppy! :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:29 pm

He's beautiful, looks like he is having so much fun :D Glad his SA is improving....

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm

As some of you may know we've had some problems with Aydin barking at visitors in the house. This weekend was a good time to practice meeting visitors and Aydin was great! Still a little unsure about men, but after a few minutes he accepted everyone and even started playing with them.

Waiting for the visitors..

There they are! So curious yet a little unsure.

I'm gonna bite your arm off!

Just kidding..

We also celebrated Liberation day at a festival in the local park with many people, Aydin was great and overall very relaxed!
Usually he cannot handle new situations and environments very well as he is very easily distracted and becomes overstimulated by all the new stimuli from the evironment. For example in doggy class he is very restless and sometimes starts to whine/squeal. I try to practice going to the city every day so he gets used to more busy environments and we've made progress, but I wouldn't take him to a dog show the whole day for example. Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour? Do you think he will calm down a little when he is older?

A wonderful day in the forest today.

He looks so cute when chewing something!

Very tired from the busy days..

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

The trainer I interned with adopted a Staffie that was used as a bait dog (he was left for dead at the curb of the local animal shelter). Unfortunately, he thinks he's an omega and acts like one too. For some people, he'd be difficult to socialize - with people he is oversocial in small 1-4 person environment (calm environments); but with dogs, for obvious reasons, he'd try to defend himself if he wasn't stopped by his handler.

It took quite a few months of slow socialization - first with her interns (us) and then with a few of her clients whom she could trust to follow her instructions. After that, she took her out to small local pet stores during their slow hours. It wasn't until nearly 8 months later that she took him out to a small dog event (at our own booth) - one day proved to be way too long for him and he just shut down and wouldn't interact with anyone (not even the trainer). So, it was pretty much 10 steps forward, 7 steps back. lol. We started the process all over again... Since he had positive experiences in the beginning, the 2nd round wasn't that bad - only took a couple weeks versus months. When he was ready for another dog event, he only went for about 2 hours and then he was put up in a crate and completely covered (with ample ventilation) so he just went to sleep. This seemed to work, so we ended up keeping at the event and whenever he felt stressed, we'd walk him back to the car, take a little drive to get him to calm down and he chilled out in his crate (at the booth) for recharge time.

For short outings in a very stimulating environment (like dog events), it's just too much for him. However, in small and quiet events, he's fine. He actually does pretty good as a therapy dog right now as a reading buddy for kids. :)

My own dog on the other hand is perfectly fine despite the environment she's in - she just doesn't care and can relax wherever she is given enough time and I'm relaxed.

If you can gradually up the ante (as long as he's ready for it!), then I think that would be best to help him build his confidence and be comfortable with different environments. Again, it's baby steps. ;) Bring him to a quiet coffee shop with low traffic for an hour or so for a few weeks. If he's calm and comfortable, then go to that same coffee shop when there's more traffic. Continue to do the same until you can go in peak traffic times - do note his behavior and body language at each outing. You'll notice differences if he's starting to relax and enjoy himself. If you have a buddy going with you, have them help you out by taking short videos of Aydin as reference material. Videos are a great help to aid you in noticing changes in your dog's behavior! :)

The only thing you really have to be careful with is pushing him too far - you want him to be a little bit uncomfortable, but if he doesn't settle after some time, then you'll know it's too much. You're the best judge of your dog's comfort zone, so listen to him - he'll let you know. ;) It's odd that I'm throwing this out there, but my counselor always tells me: You know you're making progress if you're slightly uncomfortable (in those environments). If you're VERY uncomfortable, then you know it's too much.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 pm

OOow he is soo cute!!!
He looks great on the pictures.
Great his improvement toward strangers(visitors)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 am

Glad he is making progress :) Seems to love chewing sticks.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

I really do like your comments at the pictures. love this kind of humour.
Ayden is a wonderful dog!!!

He is a very sensitive guy. But he will grow stronger from all his experiences, new places, spaces or people crowds.
And if you don't overload him with new inputs of new places and crowds with people.
If he gets a lot of positive experiences like nothing bad happend to him.
And give him time to process it and still build it up a little.
He will get more selfassured every time he gets the time to meet new experiences.

Joe is also very sensitive but since he could not be left alone for long time.
I even had to take him with me when I have a weekend workshop or go to pick up a friend from the Airport.
Not every day or week, but is now very relaxed with almost everything, except for the sound of moving hardpaper boxes on the floor(hahah).

So I do believe they can grow stronger from every experiences that turns out to be positive and learn to handle new situations easier.
I don't think that not having new experiences and only growing older is creating a selfassure dog.
He is lovely!!!

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Sabine and arianwenarie, thank you so much for always replying to my questions. I appreciate your support a lot!
arianwenarie wrote: The only thing you really have to be careful with is pushing him too far - you want him to be a little bit uncomfortable, but if he doesn't settle after some time, then you'll know it's too much. You're the best judge of your dog's comfort zone, so listen to him - he'll let you know. ;) It's odd that I'm throwing this out there, but my counselor always tells me: You know you're making progress if you're slightly uncomfortable (in those environments). If you're VERY uncomfortable, then you know it's too much.
What I need is more PATIENCE. Progress is slow, but there is progress so I will keep visiting new places as I was doing without pushing him over his boundaries. I guess it just doesn't go as fast as I want considering the amount of work, but when I look back at a few months ago he has already changed a lot so I need to be more patient (good lesson for me!). Your advice exactly reinforces what I was thinking about this. After the first lesson in doggy class, I talked with the trainer about stopping the classes with Aydin because I felt I was pushing him over his boundaries. However, she disagreed so I continued going to the doggy classes (he's still restless now the whole hour of class with all the dogs around). After completing the doggy classes I will do something he really likes, such as nose work like a tracking in the forest.
JoaquimJoe wrote:He is a very sensitive guy. But he will grow stronger from all his experiences, new places, spaces or people crowds.
And if you don't overload him with new inputs of new places and crowds with people.
If he gets a lot of positive experiences like nothing bad happend to him.
And give him time to process it and still build it up a little.
He will get more selfassured every time he gets the time to meet new experiences.

Joe is also very sensitive but since he could not be left alone for long time.
I even had to take him with me when I have a weekend workshop or go to pick up a friend from the Airport.
Not every day or week, but is now very relaxed with almost everything, except for the sound of moving hardpaper boxes on the floor(hahah).

So I do believe they can grow stronger from every experiences that turns out to be positive and learn to handle new situations easier.
I don't think that not having new experiences and only growing older is creating a selfassure dog.
He is lovely!!!
Yes he is a sensitive guy like your Joe. Thank you for sharing your story, it really makes me more confident that we can do this. I specifically asked the previous owners whether he likes going to new busy places and they said yes. I just don't want to push him to do things he doesn't like or make him into a dog he isn't (if this makes sense), but if we build it up slowly I think he might like more busy places eventually as he really likes to explore and is very curious.

Here are some photos to show what we've been working on.

Aydin and me in the bus! The first few times he didn't want to go in, but now he wants to enter every bus he sees as he gets special treats in there when he sits nicely hahah.

Aydin in the city with my boyfriend. :D

Playing with our friend.

Just a photo because I think he's so beautiful. :mrgreen:

Saphaly
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saphaly » Sat May 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes he is so beautyfull !
And what you do with him is beautyfull too...

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sun May 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Nice pictures!!!
You are doing great work!!
Happy that you keep going to dogclass.
but please never doubt yourself about him beeing restless.
He may be very interested in the other dogs, polar dogs are very smart and what they see from other dogs they do it themselfs without you to even train that to them.
Then there is always the point of getting very very very bored waiting while other dogs get their showtime.

Had to go twice to puppybasic class with Joe, because I didn't understand at that point, that he is not interested in doing things twice in a row, or too stubborn to follow a command immidiately.
He does not understand fetching, If I have it it is mine, If I throw it away and he is interested he get it to keep it as long as he is interested, he really doesn't understand Labradors or Collie getting so exited for a ball. He immidiately wants to calm them down......
He will never walk towards me in a straight line, always (very polite) in a big curve ending next to me if is in the mood. He is not to motivate with food,or balls or toys. When he was little he never followed me, never, always ahead. He never looked up to me, he watches me but never look me straight up in the eye.( But that was what we had to train on the puppyclass) He was very bored and restless most of the time and dug under the chairs while we were waiting for instructions and I mostly fell still sitting in the chair backwards. Or getting bored on a STAY practice and ripping the staytool apart. I had to act very weird to get his attention because he found a rabbit trail, so all the other puppies were standing next to me instead with their owners, but Joe was so not interested in me because he got lost in the rabbit trail........I can go on and on beeing embarrased by a little puppie called Joe, because his class mates where offcourse Labs Yellow, Black and chocolate. I really thought I must be the worst person ever because the puppie was soooooooooo not interested in what ever I wanted him to do. Now after knowing his(great) personality and his calming signals ( also towards me), I understand why. He still surprises me every day, especially now how he uses his calming signals towards Nana and training her. He is soo nice to her.

I am sure that in a few months from now you will know him from the inside out and that your bond will grow as big and strong as my bond with Joe and also Nana!

sorry for again a lot of words but I like so much what you do for Ayden, it really moves me, and hope you never doubt yourself beeing a good dog owner like I did.... :mrgreen:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 am

Awesome pictures!!! I'm surprised (and very impressed) you got him to ride a bus - I wish they allowed that here in the States. lol. I'd imagine a bus to be a very scary thing for a dog. Shoot, even I'M afraid to ride the bus sometimes...on the rare occasion that I'd need to ride one. In Texas, you just drive everywhere...
Maayke wrote:Sabine and arianwenarie, thank you so much for always replying to my questions. I appreciate your support a lot!
arianwenarie wrote: The only thing you really have to be careful with is pushing him too far - you want him to be a little bit uncomfortable, but if he doesn't settle after some time, then you'll know it's too much. You're the best judge of your dog's comfort zone, so listen to him - he'll let you know. ;) It's odd that I'm throwing this out there, but my counselor always tells me: You know you're making progress if you're slightly uncomfortable (in those environments). If you're VERY uncomfortable, then you know it's too much.
What I need is more PATIENCE. Progress is slow, but there is progress so I will keep visiting new places as I was doing without pushing him over his boundaries. I guess it just doesn't go as fast as I want considering the amount of work, but when I look back at a few months ago he has already changed a lot so I need to be more patient (good lesson for me!). Your advice exactly reinforces what I was thinking about this. After the first lesson in doggy class, I talked with the trainer about stopping the classes with Aydin because I felt I was pushing him over his boundaries. However, she disagreed so I continued going to the doggy classes (he's still restless now the whole hour of class with all the dogs around). After completing the doggy classes I will do something he really likes, such as nose work like a tracking in the forest.
If he enjoys tracking, then you could try integrating exercises he likes doing as a reward in his training. I'm not sure how you'd be able to do that since I haven't really thought it through, but the idea would be akin to rewarding a dog who loves to fetch one specific toy as their reward: it's meant to be a very special reward and reinforce their good behaviors (or overcoming a hurdle) with something they're familiar and comfortable with. <-- I'm not sure if I made any sense there. :oops:

How many dogs are in the dog classes you attended with Aydin? For a guy like him (from how you describe his behavior), I think he might be more comfortable in a smaller class with ample space - i.e. no more than 3, possibly 4 other dogs. Now, the personality and behavior of the other dogs will have an effect on him. If your trainer has thorough understanding of dog psychology (note that I'm not referring to Cesar Milan), then you could try to request she put Aydin in a class of calmer dogs. The mentality behind that is that the other dogs' calmness may rub off on Aydin and cause him to relax. If not, then you could see if the trainer offers any private sessions to find what's called an anchor dog for him. An anchor dog is any well-balanced dog who, just by their presence alone, will calm down another dog. Example: the trainer I used to intern with has her own pack of dogs that she uses for her work. Her 11 year old Standard Poodle is the most confident dog and aggressive dog she's ever handled - and her best anchor dog for the unstable dogs. When I say unstable dog, I mean that the dog feels the need to display aggressive behavior and over-exaggerate his body language to keep other dogs away from him. During her reactive dog class, one of her goals is to find each of her client's anchor dog amongst her own pack. Sometimes, she doesn't find an anchor dog with the right personality in her pack (this is why she has 12 personal dogs and a few permanent foster dogs). When she finds the right anchor dog, there's a distinct change in the unstable dog's demeanor - they just calm down and chill. Why? Because all their worries are taken away through their anchor dog's presence - it's akin to a follower dog finally able to find a pack leader that they feel they can trust their life with; in essence, they feed off of their anchor dog's energy. Hopefully, you understand what I mean when I say anchor dog now. ;) If your trainer has the resources (i.e. one of her own dogs) to pinpoint Aydin's anchor dog, then it may be possible to help him relax during class just by having his anchor dog near him.

Question: Is Aydin motivated in class? I think you've mentioned he's just not comfortable in the class - most dogs can't relax completely in some class environments anyway.

Rehabilitating a dog takes time, an overwhelming amount of patience and, most importantly, immense HEART. Like I said in a different post, all it takes is 1 bad experience for things to go downhill and it could take 100 good experiences for it to get better. You sound like a person who will do almost anything to ensure your boy is rehabilitated and happy - that's tons of brownie points to you in my book. ;) There aren't many people who have the heart and patience to rehabilitate a dog - you're one of them. Be humbled in the knowledge of that and keep persevering. It seems like a long road (and it is), but I think you already realize that the end reward isn't given to you "jackpot!" style - you're rewarded along the way, little by little, just like his progress. Never lose track of the end result that you want and you two will get there eventually, together. ;)

I confess that I still haven't gotten over the termination of my internship even after nearly half a year. However, after writing this post and seeing your dedication, I know that I walked away with more passion than I started with and, most importantly, with very valuable knowledge and experience to help aid in that passion. For that, I thank you. Keep doing what you're doing - I always love to help and every time I hear about progress, I do a little victory dance over here. (what can I say, I'm a bleeding heart and a complete sap when it comes to dogs and their humans needing help. :lol: 8-) )

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Mon May 13, 2013 12:12 pm

arianwenarie wrote:Awesome pictures!!! I'm surprised (and very impressed) you got him to ride a bus - I wish they allowed that here in the States. lol. I'd imagine a bus to be a very scary thing for a dog. Shoot, even I'M afraid to ride the bus sometimes...on the rare occasion that I'd need to ride one. In Texas, you just drive everywhere...
Yes I can only imagine how riding in a bus would be for a dog.. so many potentially scary sounds and movements. Even I get sick riding the bus because of all the movements! The first time I did a 1 minute bus ride with him he was squealing the whole time. So after that we took things more slowly and let him get used to the bus station for a week first. Now I can take him on regular 15 minute bus rides (he’s still a little stressed as he starts to yawn and pant after a few minutes).

arianwenarie wrote: How many dogs are in the dog classes you attended with Aydin? For a guy like him (from how you describe his behavior), I think he might be more comfortable in a smaller class with ample space - i.e. no more than 3, possibly 4 other dogs.
The first dog class was with three groups in one room (a horse riding school, imagine all the smells). I think it was more than 20 dogs. There were dogs everywhere! In a situation like that I think it’s pretty normal for a dog to be overwhelmed. Aydin just kept jumping and making high pitched squeals towards the other dogs. I remember there was one Labrador who kept trying to calm him down by lying down and looking the other way. Fortunately, after the first lesson the group size decreased (I think there’s now 2 groups in the riding school room with a total of 15 dogs, my group being 5 dogs). This evening we will attend the 2nd last lesson so I will stick with it and do a tracking course with fewer dogs after this maybe (I also very much like your idea about integrating exercises he likes doing as a reward in his training)!

arianwenarie wrote: Now, the personality and behavior of the other dogs will have an effect on him. If your trainer has thorough understanding of dog psychology (note that I'm not referring to Cesar Milan), then you could try to request she put Aydin in a class of calmer dogs. The mentality behind that is that the other dogs' calmness may rub off on Aydin and cause him to relax. If not, then you could see if the trainer offers any private sessions to find what's called an anchor dog for him. An anchor dog is any well-balanced dog who, just by their presence alone, will calm down another dog. Example: the trainer I used to intern with has her own pack of dogs that she uses for her work. Her 11 year old Standard Poodle is the most confident dog and aggressive dog she's ever handled - and her best anchor dog for the unstable dogs. When I say unstable dog, I mean that the dog feels the need to display aggressive behavior and over-exaggerate his body language to keep other dogs away from him. During her reactive dog class, one of her goals is to find each of her client's anchor dog amongst her own pack. Sometimes, she doesn't find an anchor dog with the right personality in her pack (this is why she has 12 personal dogs and a few permanent foster dogs). When she finds the right anchor dog, there's a distinct change in the unstable dog's demeanor - they just calm down and chill. Why? Because all their worries are taken away through their anchor dog's presence - it's akin to a follower dog finally able to find a pack leader that they feel they can trust their life with; in essence, they feed off of their anchor dog's energy. Hopefully, you understand what I mean when I say anchor dog now. ;) If your trainer has the resources (i.e. one of her own dogs) to pinpoint Aydin's anchor dog, then it may be possible to help him relax during class just by having his anchor dog near him.
I really like your description and I think the idea of having an anchor dog is great!! During the lesson Aydin is often close to the aforementioned Labrador and the trainer also puts Aydin in a place where there are no other dogs behind him so he has a better view over the room and the situation. Wouldn’t it be awesome if I could be his anchor ‘dog’! ;) I guess I’m just not calm enough, because I have to admit when he makes those squealing sounds I get nervous as well, possibly creating a feedback cycle of nervousness between Aydin and me. But I’m getting better at staying calm I think haha. :D And ofcourse those experiences create expectations with me about how things will be next time and I think dogs can sense that too (don’t know if I explained this clearly) so I should get rid of expectations as well.

arianwenarie wrote: Question: Is Aydin motivated in class? I think you've mentioned he's just not comfortable in the class - most dogs can't relax completely in some class environments anyway.
I am SO fortunate that he will do anything for a nice treat (if it is of higher value than what he is doing at the moment). Even when he is pretty stressed he can focus on doing some exercises and getting a treat, so that’s not a problem. It’s just that he’s very stressed out.

arianwenarie wrote: Rehabilitating a dog takes time, an overwhelming amount of patience and, most importantly, immense HEART. Like I said in a different post, all it takes is 1 bad experience for things to go downhill and it could take 100 good experiences for it to get better. You sound like a person who will do almost anything to ensure your boy is rehabilitated and happy - that's tons of brownie points to you in my book. ;) There aren't many people who have the heart and patience to rehabilitate a dog - you're one of them. Be humbled in the knowledge of that and keep persevering. It seems like a long road (and it is), but I think you already realize that the end reward isn't given to you "jackpot!" style - you're rewarded along the way, little by little, just like his progress. Never lose track of the end result that you want and you two will get there eventually, together. ;)
Thank you for your kind words! But of course the reasons I do this with him are also selfish. He just has a sensitive personality and it is ME who wants to take him with me to more busy places instead of leaving him home. If I would completely respect his personality, then I would only take him with me to quiet places like the forest etc (that what I meant with making him into a dog that he isn’t). But of course a dog also needs new experiences to build his confidence.

arianwenarie wrote: I confess that I still haven't gotten over the termination of my internship even after nearly half a year. However, after writing this post and seeing your dedication, I know that I walked away with more passion than I started with and, most importantly, with very valuable knowledge and experience to help aid in that passion. For that, I thank you. Keep doing what you're doing - I always love to help and every time I hear about progress, I do a little victory dance over here. (what can I say, I'm a bleeding heart and a complete sap when it comes to dogs and their humans needing help. :lol: 8-) )
Aww why was your internship terminated? Do you now have a job in which you work with dogs? I think you would be great at it! I always like your advice and talking with you about Aydin’s behaviour. You’re so kind to help me out with this and I love reading all of your stories and experiences. It really gives me more insight into dog psychology!

JoaquimJoe wrote: Then there is always the point of getting very very very bored waiting while other dogs get their showtime.
Haha yes I think you can see his Malamute ancestry and also Joe is a very smart dog!
As there are more groups of dogs in the class, Aydin doesn’t get bored but is very alert and focussed on what all of the other dogs and people are doing. The first lesson he was just jumping and making high-pitched sounds!

JoaquimJoe wrote: Had to go twice to puppybasic class with Joe, because I didn't understand at that point, that he is not interested in doing things twice in a row, or too stubborn to follow a command immidiately.
I really respect your work with Joe!! Wouldn’t know what to do without Aydin’s food motivation! Aydin is really motivated for food, so he will happily do a command twice. Still I don't think he really likes obedience classes, so next time I will try to find something he really loves to do!

JoaquimJoe wrote: He does not understand fetching, If I have it it is mine, If I throw it away and he is interested he get it to keep it as long as he is interested, he really doesn't understand Labradors or Collie getting so excited for a ball. He immidiately wants to calm them down......
Haha yes that sounds very familiar. Aydin almost never wants to fetch, especially when it’s a tennisball. He LOVES tennis balls. He will just run away with it and throw the ball for himself over and over again. One time in dog class we had to practice recall. The idea was that I would walk past some toys on the floor (including a ball!) and would call him to come. He would have to run past the toys towards me. The trainer asked me whether he could be left off leash or if she should put him on a long leash. Ofcourse I said long leash!! I called him and he just went for the ball and ran away with it haha. Then I had to lure him towards me with another toy, but the tennisball is of highest value for him so he just continued running away. xD

JoaquimJoe wrote:He will never walk towards me in a straight line, always (very polite) in a big curve ending next to me if is in the mood. He is not to motivate with food, or balls or toys. When he was little he never followed me, never, always ahead. He never looked up to me, he watches me but never look me straight up in the eye.( But that was what we had to train on the puppyclass)
Aww he sounds like a very polite and kind dog using his dog language very well!

JoaquimJoe wrote:I had to act very weird to get his attention because he found a rabbit trail, so all the other puppies were standing next to me instead with their owners, but Joe was so not interested in me because he got lost in the rabbit trail........I can go on and on beeing embarrased by a little puppie called Joe, because his class mates where offcourse Labs Yellow, Black and chocolate. I really thought I must be the worst person ever because the puppie was soooooooooo not interested in what ever I wanted him to do. Now after knowing his(great) personality and his calming signals ( also towards me), I understand why. He still surprises me every day, especially now how he uses his calming signals towards Nana and training her. He is soo nice to her.
Haha that's a good story!
I like watching the movies you make of Joe and Nana, he is so kind with her. Amazing to see!

JoaquimJoe wrote: I am sure that in a few months from now you will know him from the inside out and that your bond will grow as big and strong as my bond with Joe and also Nana!
sorry for again a lot of words but I like so much what you do for Ayden, it really moves me, and hope you never doubt yourself beeing a good dog owner like I did.... :mrgreen:
Please don’t apologize, I just love reading about your experiences with Joe and Nana!!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Maayke wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: How many dogs are in the dog classes you attended with Aydin? For a guy like him (from how you describe his behavior), I think he might be more comfortable in a smaller class with ample space - i.e. no more than 3, possibly 4 other dogs.
The first dog class was with three groups in one room (a horse riding school, imagine all the smells). I think it was more than 20 dogs. There were dogs everywhere! In a situation like that I think it’s pretty normal for a dog to be overwhelmed. Aydin just kept jumping and making high pitched squeals towards the other dogs. I remember there was one Labrador who kept trying to calm him down by lying down and looking the other way. Fortunately, after the first lesson the group size decreased (I think there’s now 2 groups in the riding school room with a total of 15 dogs, my group being 5 dogs). This evening we will attend the 2nd last lesson so I will stick with it and do a tracking course with fewer dogs after this maybe (I also very much like your idea about integrating exercises he likes doing as a reward in his training)!
Was the labrador looking at Aydin or away from all the commotion? Depending on the situation, a dog who is laying down does not necessarily mean he/she is relaxed. For a reactive dog who wants to get to whatever they're reacting to, they'll lay down while on leash next to their handler. As humans, we naturally give them more slack...sometimes without even realizing. This, in turn, gives them more leash to try to get to whatever they're reacting to. The lab in his class, however, probably has a "I don't care" attitude towards the rambunctious dogs in the class, that's why he's laying down (relaxed) and turning his head away (avoidance). A calm, stable dog will show avoidance to most stressors. So, in a way, he probably does help other dogs relax a bit by his body language.

When I was taking a advanced obedience class with my lab, we were placed between two reactive dogs (the boys just didn't like each other). I was a nervous wreck, but Abby just didn't really have a care in the world. She even laid down on her side (true submissive down) when the boys were bickering at each other during class.
Maayke wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: Now, the personality and behavior of the other dogs will have an effect on him. If your trainer has thorough understanding of dog psychology (note that I'm not referring to Cesar Milan), then you could try to request she put Aydin in a class of calmer dogs. The mentality behind that is that the other dogs' calmness may rub off on Aydin and cause him to relax. If not, then you could see if the trainer offers any private sessions to find what's called an anchor dog for him. An anchor dog is any well-balanced dog who, just by their presence alone, will calm down another dog. Example: the trainer I used to intern with has her own pack of dogs that she uses for her work. Her 11 year old Standard Poodle is the most confident dog and aggressive dog she's ever handled - and her best anchor dog for the unstable dogs. When I say unstable dog, I mean that the dog feels the need to display aggressive behavior and over-exaggerate his body language to keep other dogs away from him. During her reactive dog class, one of her goals is to find each of her client's anchor dog amongst her own pack. Sometimes, she doesn't find an anchor dog with the right personality in her pack (this is why she has 12 personal dogs and a few permanent foster dogs). When she finds the right anchor dog, there's a distinct change in the unstable dog's demeanor - they just calm down and chill. Why? Because all their worries are taken away through their anchor dog's presence - it's akin to a follower dog finally able to find a pack leader that they feel they can trust their life with; in essence, they feed off of their anchor dog's energy. Hopefully, you understand what I mean when I say anchor dog now. ;) If your trainer has the resources (i.e. one of her own dogs) to pinpoint Aydin's anchor dog, then it may be possible to help him relax during class just by having his anchor dog near him.
I really like your description and I think the idea of having an anchor dog is great!! During the lesson Aydin is often close to the aforementioned Labrador and the trainer also puts Aydin in a place where there are no other dogs behind him so he has a better view over the room and the situation. Wouldn’t it be awesome if I could be his anchor ‘dog’! ;) I guess I’m just not calm enough, because I have to admit when he makes those squealing sounds I get nervous as well, possibly creating a feedback cycle of nervousness between Aydin and me. But I’m getting better at staying calm I think haha. :D And ofcourse those experiences create expectations with me about how things will be next time and I think dogs can sense that too (don’t know if I explained this clearly) so I should get rid of expectations as well.
It's difficult, but you really just have to learn to act aloof when something spooks him. Don't coddle him or tell him "It's okay" when he's scared of something. Just ignore him and act as if whatever's scaring him is perfectly normal. By doing that, it usually helps dogs get over their irrational fears. ;)

There was one night when I was taking Abby (my dog) out for a potty break before we went to bed and my neighbor had tied up branches from the trees he trimmed and put them in the trash can. The silhouette freaked Abby out and she was all skittish when we approached, so I pretty much just stood next to the trash can until her curiosity got the better of her. Every time she decided to approach, I just praised her verbally in a calm tone of voice. She eventually gathered up her courage to go up to the trash can to sniff it and I gave her the "touch" command (which means to have her to touch something with her nose - it's a game to her); she touched the trash can like I had asked and she was fine. If I haven't mentioned it already, perhaps you can try teaching Aydin the "touch" command - if you search for it on the forum, you might find a post where I had written it up. If not, feel free to email me: arianwenarie@gmail.com. :)
Maayke wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: Rehabilitating a dog takes time, an overwhelming amount of patience and, most importantly, immense HEART. Like I said in a different post, all it takes is 1 bad experience for things to go downhill and it could take 100 good experiences for it to get better. You sound like a person who will do almost anything to ensure your boy is rehabilitated and happy - that's tons of brownie points to you in my book. ;) There aren't many people who have the heart and patience to rehabilitate a dog - you're one of them. Be humbled in the knowledge of that and keep persevering. It seems like a long road (and it is), but I think you already realize that the end reward isn't given to you "jackpot!" style - you're rewarded along the way, little by little, just like his progress. Never lose track of the end result that you want and you two will get there eventually, together. ;)
Thank you for your kind words! But of course the reasons I do this with him are also selfish. He just has a sensitive personality and it is ME who wants to take him with me to more busy places instead of leaving him home. If I would completely respect his personality, then I would only take him with me to quiet places like the forest etc (that what I meant with making him into a dog that he isn’t). But of course a dog also needs new experiences to build his confidence.
You really just have to ACT like you're a calm confident handler. Once you do this long enough, you sort of convince yourself of such (experience will come along as you go and learn more). I will tell you from first hand experience that I was seriously a nervous wreck when I had first started my internship and it got a little worse when I learned of all the warning signs to watch for. However, I soon realized that we were taught about safety since the very beginning and it was pretty much ingrained into us, so in any common situation, we already knew how to handle them.

Some owners who have shy dogs tend to want to protect their dog from anything scary - it's natural human instinct. However, many people don't understand nor know dog psychology, so they forget or don't know that dogs don't rationalize like people do. They can't rationalize their fears; when we do it for them, then they get even more confused: mixed signals. Example: Hugging your dog. Human perspective: I love my dog and I show my love for him/her by hugging; this is what we do with other humans, so it applies for my dog too. Dog's perspective: Why is my human mounting me? Why does he/she feel a need to dominate me? I am NOT comfortable. (Worst case scenario and quite common scenario, too: "GET AWAY FROM ME" **Bite in the face**)

There's really a proper way to hug your dog where the dog will feel less threatened. Instead of having your arms touch your dog, just your hands are touching and petting the dog is good. It gives him/her the space that they need and you're (somewhat) satisfying your urge to show affection to your dog. ;)

The only way to help your dog overcome their issues is for us to speak dog...but that first comes by understanding how dogs think. lol. Think of it as dog and human speaking different languages - it's already difficult enough for a dog to adjust to their human's lifestyle, but to have to understand what they want from them too in a language they don't understand? No wonder some dogs go bonkers. Haha.
Maayke wrote:Aww why was your internship terminated? Do you now have a job in which you work with dogs? I think you would be great at it! I always like your advice and talking with you about Aydin’s behaviour. You’re so kind to help me out with this and I love reading all of your stories and experiences. It really gives me more insight into dog psychology!
I was hired as a full-time receptionist - it was easier for me to sift through paperwork because of the background knowledge from my internship. I made a few scheduling mistakes and I was terminated from the job - at the same time, my internship was also terminated. Reason: Conflict of interest if I had continued as an intern, apparently. There was nothing left for me in Austin, so I had no choice but to move back to Houston. Now, I have a higher paying job in a completely different industry. With the end of the internship and moving back to Houston, I had to put my love for the pet industry on hold while I get my life together. Unfortunately, I don't work with dogs anymore...and I can't tell you how miserable I am in that regard. My consolation is being able to chatter away about dogs on this forum. LOL! Oh, and gawk at puppy pictures!! :lol:

If you haven't already, please do pick up this book: http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb527 It's a great read and gives a lot of insight on dog psychology. ;) I feel it's a book that every dog owner should have and glean knowledge from it.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Maayke, I really do believe you are already his anchor dog!!!
Look really close at these pictures you have made in the bus and outside, he is relaxed next to you.

And about beeing calm, even if you think you are not calm enough for him, you still are his leader, you were the calm one and are not scared of the bus, and guarding him into it. and show him he will be ok.
Nothing bad happend and he really does trust you, otherwise he would have closed down at the enterance of the bus.
So a little more trust in yourself is in its place here. Joe would have closed down with the sssfffffpsss when the doors opens, and Ayden didn't so he trust you.

Squeeky sounds are heartbreaking, but you will begin to hear the differnce between, when he really needs help and when he is trying to get your attention. And they sure do feel if it is one of that days you don't feel well and it only gonna costs him 5 minutes to get you crazy enough to show up (and let him out).... I know cause I learned the hard way :mrgreen:

And now Joe himself is growling to Nana when she is singing or squeeking to get my attention, because he don't want noise in the bedroom.....

He don't need a calm person who don't feel nothing, he needs a leader who respects herself for who she is and him for who he is.
let him see that good or bad things do happen and even if you really don't like it, you don't yell at him or beat him or get mad on him, so he can trust you.
That's what I learned from Joe, dog's are fair towards another.
even if he could get or steel easily food from the lowest in the range,(just the opposit of what people do), he won't, if its his until he left it unattended no other dog will try to steel it.
And if you really don't like what your facing, or you think it will be to much for him to handle and he is with you, slowly move to another direction.

You doing sooo great with such a difficult task, big hug for you and big hug for your beautifull boy!!!

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Sun May 19, 2013 6:32 pm

arianwenarie wrote: There's really a proper way to hug your dog where the dog will feel less threatened. Instead of having your arms touch your dog, just your hands are touching and petting the dog is good. It gives him/her the space that they need and you're (somewhat) satisfying your urge to show affection to your dog. ;)
Yes I never hug or pet him when he's stressed. I tried stroking his back very slowly to see how he would react, but it just makes him more stressed (more input!).
arianwenarie wrote:If you haven't already, please do pick up this book: http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb527 It's a great read and gives a lot of insight on dog psychology. ;) I feel it's a book that every dog owner should have and glean knowledge from it.
I have that book and I think it should be mandatory for every dog owner out there!

JoaquimJoe wrote: Squeeky sounds are heartbreaking, but you will begin to hear the differnce between, when he really needs help and when he is trying to get your attention. And they sure do feel if it is one of that days you don't feel well and it only gonna costs him 5 minutes to get you crazy enough to show up (and let him out).... I know cause I learned the hard way :mrgreen:
Yes he also makes squeeky sounds at night when we put him in his crate, but I know it's just for attention so I always ignore that. There's a difference however with the ear-deafening screams he makes when for example by boyfriend cycles away. Also in doggy class the squeals he makes are not for attention I think, because he already has all my attention! I'm working with him all the time so I can't give him more attention :D

JoaquimJoe wrote: And now Joe himself is growling to Nana when she is singing or squeeking to get my attention, because he don't want noise in the bedroom.....
Haha that is very funny, good helper you have there!
JoaquimJoe wrote: He don't need a calm person who don't feel nothing, he needs a leader who respects herself for who she is and him for who he is.
let him see that good or bad things do happen and even if you really don't like it, you don't yell at him or beat him or get mad on him, so he can trust you.
Yes that's true, thank you :)

Here are some photos of today's walk in the forest. We took a 5-min bus ride to the forest and he was great, so proud of him!!

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 am

I LOVE the last picture! I hear him screaming: Yes Mommy - I'm coming :lol:
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Really nice pictures!!!
Great to hear he learns quick!
He is a smart lovely boy :D

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 pm

I've been recording him home alone with a webcam for the past week, leaving him alone 15-30 minutes. Sometimes he howls and defecates, but usually settles after about 15 minutes and lays down on the couch. One time he didn't even howl and just laid down on the couch after he found all of the hidden treats yayy!!! Don't know why sometimes he does howl, and sometimes not.. maybe something to do with exercise..? So happy that we can start exercising him a little more now he's almost 1 year old. Also, he passed the obedience class for young dogs with flying colors. Now on to something more fun than obedience! :D

Sorry for so many updates, but it's motivating for me to record the little steps of progress to look back on :D

Even though he's almost one year old he still looks so much like a puppy sometimes. :lol:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm

It's wonderful hearing his progress and seeing these brilliant photos of him :)

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Wed May 29, 2013 5:49 pm

O so beautiful pictures!!!
Nice to hear he is doing better!!
Great news you can do more exercise with him!

Joe always needed a lot of exercise, for him to drain his high energy a working breed dog.
Also as a very little puppy.
The workingbreed high energy level and his separation anxiety were a bad combination. If we didn't drain the energy he chew on his forelegs

(And I myself as Dog walker may only walk a pup 5 minutes for every month its old, as a professional for HD prevention.
But for Joe it sure was not enough. For Nana it also isn't enough. So I let them exercise themselves in Joe's dogspace for 40 to 60 minutes every morning.)

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:28 pm

This week we have to leave Aydin home alone for a few hours every day and it's not going so well as the neighbours have complained about howling. So I made a 1hr video today but he's not really howling at all?? I hope it won't get us into trouble.

We had a great time with him though! He swam in deep water for the first time (except for on our first day when he jumped in the water, but he never did that again). It was really amazing to see his confidence grow.

Here the ferocious hunter is stalking a ball that's floating in the water.. every time the ball moved a little he would run away being very scared hahaha.

So eventually I took it and showed him that the ball is not a monster.

Do I really have to swim mommy? But the water is so wet..

And finally, after a lot of encouragement.

After his accomplishment he sat proudly watching over the water for a few minutes.

That was actually so much fun! Let's just make a water tour and see what's out there.

Uhmm Aydin where are you going? Bye bye I'm going to Australia see you later guys.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:48 pm

O what a beautiful boy!!!!
He is enjoying so much!!!
I do hope he will not howl anymore!!

Well long time ago when I had another dog, the neighbours also complained about barking constantly.
But I had taken the dog with me all evening, so it was not him at all. Good you make movies and see that he did't howl.
If you record him tand he don't howl, I hope you feel more secure and no one can make trouble, if he is not howling at all!

so nice to see him exploring and enjoying and having fun, you are so great for him!

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:10 pm

JoaquimJoe wrote:O what a beautiful boy!!!!
He is enjoying so much!!!
I do hope he will not howl anymore!!

Well long time ago when I had another dog, the neighbours also complained about barking constantly.
But I had taken the dog with me all evening, so it was not him at all. Good you make movies and see that he did't howl.
If you record him tand he don't howl, I hope you feel more secure and no one can make trouble, if he is not howling at all!

so nice to see him exploring and enjoying and having fun, you are so great for him!
Thank you for your kind comment!! Yes I do believe he howls very loud, but only sometimes. They say they hear throughout the whole day, but that can't be true as I have been with Aydin almost the whole time in the past four weeks (only on some days I leave him a few hours but it's inevitable in our situation).

Saphaly
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saphaly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 pm

This boy is just beautyfull.
I love his color.
the photos are amazing, he's one of my favorite tam' :-)

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Saphaly wrote:This boy is just beautyfull.
I love his color.
the photos are amazing, he's one of my favorite tam' :-)
Thank you, I love his color too! Will pass the compliments on to him! ;)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Happy boy! :D

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:56 pm

He is so beautiful! We are working on trying to get Mowgli used to the water. Hopefully we can get him to go for a swim or two this summer :)

Maayke
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Maayke » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 am

akaye531 wrote:He is so beautiful! We are working on trying to get Mowgli used to the water. Hopefully we can get him to go for a swim or two this summer :)
Ohh I hope he likes water, it's so nice for cooling down!

We had a great day at the tamaskan meeting in Germany. I'm very proud of him because he was very well behaved!!

Aydin and beautiful Mila.

Yesterday was his birthday so he is one year old now. He celebrated his birthday by rolling in shit, chasing birds and chewing sticks. ;)

He's becoming good at posing in front of the camera. ;)

Looking so proud. <3

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Handsome boy ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:49 am

Maayke wrote:He celebrated his birthday by rolling in shit, chasing birds and chewing sticks.
Can't think of a better way to celebrate :lol:

He's great at posing, looks so noble and handsome :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Aydin is SO pretty, and your photos are fabulous!

He actually looks A LOT like my Naima (Heidi x Bodie), it's uncanny!