Housetraining

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
jthinesnc
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Housetraining

Post by jthinesnc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Hello, My fiancee and I just received a 5 month old Tamaskan and she is not house trained in any way. The last two dogs that we have owned have had no issues with learning to use the bathroom outside, but this little girl seems to intentionally hold it when she is outside. When she has used the restroom outside, because she cannot hold it any longer, she whines as if she did something bad. We give her praise for when she does to show that it is a good thing, but I am unsure whether just giving praise is the best path as she continually uses the bathroom in the house. We have tried giving her treats as well but she doesn't seem to like any brands we have bought. We take her out every 30 min to an hour. Any suggestions?

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Housetraining

Post by Tana » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Hello,

hmm...this will take some time, because she is doing it for five months already. I would start with crate training plus feeding only from hands. Spend as much time as you can outside, like you did when she couldn't hold it anymore. I understand this is quite stressful at the moment, but you need to be patient and consistent... When she start to whining, redirect her to the toys, food, other dogs... something and she will be, eventualy, realized that is nothing bad with peeing outside. In the house keep her only in crate (or on the leash next to you) so she couldn't use her "indoor bathroom". I know this part could be hard, but it's worth it, in your case necessarily. Feed her mostly outside, after she does her thing, so this will become a funny ritual for her. Again, don't give up to quickly, keep in mind she need some time to get used to the new environment, people first and that is not an easy thing to change an old habit after so many repetitions... Good luck.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 pm

What do you do when you catch her peeing inside? This is what worked for us - when we saw the signs (turning in a circle and sniffing for one pup and the other would pace up and down when she wanted to pee) we took them outside straight away, clicked and treated (as they were clicker trained).

When we caught them peeing inside, as they were peeing a loud NOOOOOO or AHHHHHH would shock them and stop them mid pee. Then take them outside immediately and then click and treat.

Both were crate trained and that helped the most with potty training.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh also is there a place where she always pees in the house? I heard if you feed them in that place, they stop using that area as a 'potty' because they don't like to soil where they eat.

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:30 am

Taking them right away outside when you catch them is good, even if they already did it and then if they still do a little pee prais them as if they are the best dog in the world.
If they did it inside I always ignored them, cleaned it and sprayed my own deodorant over it
Avak was in that method puppytrained in two weeks and with SIerra I only had to do it once because she was trained but just had to know in her new home

jthinesnc
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by jthinesnc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:30 pm

She kind of just drops down and goes - no warning. And it has been at the front door when we are just about to take her out, the food bowl, our bathroom, the couch.

When she goes inside we say "no" in a firm voice and quickly take her outside. The problem is that we take her out every 30 or so minutes when we know she probably has to go, and after the second hour we take our eyes off her for a second and boom. I may try pee pads. It has only been a few days, but we will see in a week or so.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm

If she is going every 30mins/ if it's a drop down and then boom - is it a normal 'i need to pee' pee or is it a pee triggered by nervousness/anxiety/excitement? The reason I ask is because one of mine (6 months) will do the sudden drop down pee with no warning when she is super excited (not because she needs to pee) when we go pick her up from kennels/daycare after being away. Other than that, she used to give warnings when we were potty training her and she genuinely needed to pee. Even at 8 weeks, both mine didn't need to go to pee that often (def held it longer than 2 hours) so maybe some emotion is triggering it? Maybe she is nervous or excited about going outside which is why she does it when she knows she's about to go out? My first one when she was little used to have separation anxiety and when she saw us putting on our coats to leave the house (without her) she would run to the door and drop down and pee due to her anxiety and not because she needed to pee.

If you take your eyes off her for a bit, can you put her in the crate during this time?

Also I found the AAHHHHH!!!! worked better than the NO! for interrupting the pee inside as it was louder and longer and more like woah there/shocked them. I saw an episode of Victoria Stilwell's tv show where she made a longer AHHH AHHH AHH and clapped her hands like a mad woman to interrupt dogs peeing in the house.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Also treat wise in case it helps - one of ours is very picky so also doesn't like most treats. The treats that do work on her however;

- liver treats (although too many give her soft poop)
- frankfurter/hotdogs
- freeze dried lambs lung (works the best for her and easy to break up)
- Rollover/ Natural balance sausage thing (dunno exactly what it is) cut up into pieces (recommended by our trainer but can get messy as it's moist)

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Also I'm not sure what other peoples' experiences with pee pads are but I felt like they added an additional step in the potty training process and I didn't want them to think it was ok to pee inside the house at all so I never used them but having said that, Phoenix was potty trained within 2 weeks and both were 2 months (as opposed to your girl at 5 months) so I guess would have been easier? Do you know what she was like going outside before you got her? Did she have a fear of the outside? Good luck with the potty training - it's probably only going to get better :)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 am

chelle784 wrote:Also I'm not sure what other peoples' experiences with pee pads are but I felt like they added an additional step in the potty training process and I didn't want them to think it was ok to pee inside the house at all so I never used them but having said that, Phoenix was potty trained within 2 weeks and both were 2 months (as opposed to your girl at 5 months) so I guess would have been easier? Do you know what she was like going outside before you got her? Did she have a fear of the outside? Good luck with the potty training - it's probably only going to get better :)
My experience with pee pads when I had a chihuahua wasn't that great. After I transitioned her to the grass like I was told to do, she would randomly pee on rugs that had roughly the same texture. I wouldn't recommend pee pads to anyone unless absolutely necessary (indoor potty dog). :P

I am sorry that I don't have any suggestions for jthinesnc beyond what's already been said. If she is nervous and the random pees in the house is submissive peeing, then I am not sure if anchoring her to you will help any. The real solution to that would be confidence building and helping her get over that nervous energy.