Harness Recommendations for leashed walks

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Harness Recommendations for leashed walks

Post by chelle784 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 am

Which do you prefer to walk your Tamaskan? I am currently using the easywalk harness but Pepper will soon outgrow this. Does anyone have any recommendations for harnesses? She walks at heel during leashed walks unless a squirrel runs across our path and will try pull sometimes if she sees one of her dog friends.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Harness Recommendations for leashed walks

Post by Katlin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 am

Then don't use a harness unless you want her to pull or need a front lead. I use a chain martingale for walking, a regular collar for running, and an x-back for longboarding. I also have a Julius K-9 for offleash and seatbelt use (it has a chest plate separate).
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 am

The harness I'm using has a hook at the front so if she pulls it stops her in her tracks - Not like a harness for pulling. One of her sibling's owners has a similat harness that turns her round when she pulls so i am interested to know what other ones are out there

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:20 am

Also thanks for the martingale recommendation :) I always thought that they were like choke chains but apparently not if fitted coreectly from what I have started reading!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am

Yeah totally! I had easy walks for Wylie but he broke one and chafed in another so I stopped. When his chain is fully tightened I can still fit 2 fingers in, it's just so he hears the correction and can't slip out of it when we find the inevitable bunny lol!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:44 am

Kona's about to graduate to an Easy Walk XL size, but it's a wonderful invention for us.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 am

chelle784 wrote:Also thanks for the martingale recommendation :) I always thought that they were like choke chains but apparently not if fitted coreectly from what I have started reading!
Id also suggest moving up to a chain martingale for walking. A properly fitted chain martingale should have no more than 3 links when taut. Also means she won't be able to slip out, but you have to get the ones that slip over the head - the ones with buckles break easily. :/

if youre using the chain martingale properly for training purposes abd she doesn't respond to the snap sound when the chain gathers, then consider getting a slip chain (commonly knowns as a choke chain). If properly used, it doesnt choke as long as the two rings stay under the chin. Its supposed to give a quick slight pinch once the chain gathers and then release immediately. If dog walks on your left, then it slips on like the letter P; q if dog walks on your right. This is important bc if not fitbfor the correct side, then it doesnt release properly.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Has anyone tried the Freedom No Pull Harness? It has the front clip attachment as well as a martingale feature on the back. I haven't tried it myself, but was considering picking one up. I'd love to know if anyone has an opinion on it.

http://wiggleswagswhiskers.com/Freedom- ... ilver.html

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 am

iamnic wrote:Has anyone tried the Freedom No Pull Harness? It has the front clip attachment as well as a martingale feature on the back. I haven't tried it myself, but was considering picking one up. I'd love to know if anyone has an opinion on it.

http://wiggleswagswhiskers.com/Freedom- ... ilver.html
Nope. But this is a very interesting concept...I watched the video and it'd require too much coordination for me to handle it. :lol: Some folks like the Easy Walk harness because it puts much less pressure on the chest compared to the back-attaching harnesses. I suddenly feel as if I'd have less control using this leash-harness combo though because it's essentially two leashes in one. <-- that didn't make much sense, sorry. :oops: