Extra bedroom -- what to do with it?

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Extra bedroom -- what to do with it?

Post by Ausbird » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 am

The townhouse we're expecting to move into in the summer has two bedrooms, but we only require one for living comfortably. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for the best use of this room were we to intentionally assign it to the dog. My initial thought was using it as a replacement for a crate, but it's my understanding now that the size of most crates is intentionally small in order to prevent its use as a bathroom -- hence their use in housebreaking puppies? I'm still new to the intricacies of crate training.

We don't expect to be leaving the dog alone for more than 4-5 hours a day (outdoor exercise and bathroom break beforehand) due to our overlapping work shifts, so could the room be used as a large, closed playpen with toys and a dog bed to keep him separated from the rest of the house while we're away and not there to supervise? Is that even necessary?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Extra bedroom -- what to do with it?

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 am

The townhouse I'm going to be moving into is sort of like a 2.5 bedroom. I have the master, a guest bedroom and the half-a-bedroom has a built-in desk, so I'm going to be using it as the study/dog room. During the day, when I'm home, I'll be using it as a study but it'll have all the dog stuff in there - crate, extra dog bed and toys. When I'm not there, my dog is locked up in her crate so she doesn't wreak havoc in the house.

So I'd suggest using the extra room as a dog room, but do put a desk or something there if y'all plan to spend time in there with the dog when you're home. Definitely put a crate in there so the dog can go in and out of their crate if you're in the room for some time.

Unfortunately, my .5 bedroom isn't big enough for me to put a treadmill in there...otherwise, I'd put one in there for exercising (the dog) on rainy days. ;)

EDIT:
When I am financially able to buy a house with a decent yard a few years from now, I do plan on having a guest bedroom and a dedicated kennel room. Depending on the layout of the house, I may also use it as my study too. But I'd want a large enough room for a treadmill, 3-5 crates, whelping box/puppy play area and a small desk for a laptop.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

arianwenarie wrote:When I am financially able to buy a house with a decent yard a few years from now, I do plan on having a guest bedroom and a dedicated kennel room. Depending on the layout of the house, I may also use it as my study too. But I'd want a large enough room for a treadmill, 3-5 crates, whelping box/puppy play area and a small desk for a laptop.
You planning on winning the lottery :lol: ? Sounds like it's going to be a pretty big room... But as i understand it, you guys have bigger rooms than hear anyway so it's probably a huge stretch on my imagination :oops: ...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 am

TerriHolt wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:When I am financially able to buy a house with a decent yard a few years from now, I do plan on having a guest bedroom and a dedicated kennel room. Depending on the layout of the house, I may also use it as my study too. But I'd want a large enough room for a treadmill, 3-5 crates, whelping box/puppy play area and a small desk for a laptop.
You planning on winning the lottery :lol: ? Sounds like it's going to be a pretty big room... But as i understand it, you guys have bigger rooms than hear anyway so it's probably a huge stretch on my imagination :oops: ...
Well, they do say everything is bigger in Texas. :lol:

The treadmill can be folded up. I'll only be putting in a corner desk. Don't forget there's also closet space, so toys and other items that can be stored can be tossed in there. How big is a typical bedroom in the UK?

The smallest bedroom I've seen during my house hunting so far is 9x10ft. Ideally, I'd like at least a 11x11ft bedroom to have this setup in. The whelping box doesn't have to be out all the time - it can be rotated in and out as needed. Desk will likely be a compact corner desk.

If all else fails, I just might be able to give up my larger master bedroom and make that my kennel room. :P

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

arianwenarie wrote:How big is a typical bedroom in the UK?
Not sure on dimensions but 3-4 strides and you are at the other side, my son's bedroom fits his bed and has a teeny play area (as long as toys don't require moving round)... closet space? Yeah, thats in his sisters room :lol: . I'm lucky to be in one of the older houses... The newer houses that get built now are all the same, 2x smaller than older houses but 3x's more to buy... Bedroom in my old house could be crossed in 2 strides, my son was in a slightly smaller room.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:51 pm

arianwenarie wrote:How big is a typical bedroom in the UK?
According to one of my aunt who is British-born, the bedrooms for a regular townhouse there in the UK are very similar to the ones in Canada. Usually in a 2-3 bedroom house, there is one small one only capable of fitting one bed (can be used as a baby's room), one large one capable of fitting a queen-sized bed and has a huge closet, and one that is intermediate in size. But since all of these vary from house to house, it's not really possible to paint a clear picture.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm

We're moving in a 2 bedroom (+ livingroom, kitchen with eating space, 2 hallways and a big laungryroom/basement).
Initially we talked about making it a dog room, because I really would like to have such a room, but due to my Partner (and her mother) having some allergy issues (we are not sure how it will affect my her when living with dogs 24/7) we desided that instead we would make it a dog free office-/hobby-/guestroom so that we have a more "cleanroom" if it is necessary - also it is nice to have the dogs (and doghair!) out of both the painting area and the office space.
>> Nino <<