Tamaskan waking up at 5 am!!!!!

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Tamtastic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskan waking up at 5 am!!!!!

Post by Tamtastic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to get our Tamaskan to sleep past 5 am? He is in his cage which is a 42" size. He is happy enough to go in at night but wakes early...whining. Go down and tell him to be quiet. Sometimes this works but other times he will carry on whining. Would like him to be able to sleep (or be quiet) until 6am. It doesn't matter if we put him in his cage late (i.e. midnight) he will still wake when the sun comes up or the birds tweet. We have tried all sorts...moving his cage to different areas of the house, leaving him out of the cage (this is worse, he then roams around whining and chewing on any furniture he can get hold of (already gone through 4 dog beds!!!)). Help, he is going to a friends for 2 weeks whilst we are on holiday and I know this is going to be a problem. We now have 10 days to get this sorted. AARRGGGHGH

Rahne

Re: Tamaskan waking up at 5 am!!!!!

Post by Rahne » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

How old is your tam? Maybe you could try to make him really tired before he goes to sleep.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm

As annoying as his whining might get, it might be better to try to ignore him. If he whines and you go give him attention in any way, weather it being telling him to be quiet or going down to see him, he's going to learn that his whining is working on giving him attention. If you ignore him he will realize that his fusses are not working and should give up. Only let him out and let him see you once he is quiet and then he will learn that being quiet until that time is a good thing. I hope this helps, it worked with Ulric.

Dallas
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Dallas » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm

what kind of crate do you have? a wire crate or a plastic one?
where did you place it (living room, bedroom,..)?
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in

Tamtastic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tamtastic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 pm

He is 38 weeks old tomorrow. He spends all evening lying in the lounge or garden. We take him into the garden before we go to bed, so that he can relieve himself, and invariably he will leave the lounge, go outside and flop down on the grass. I am sure he is tired. You reckon we should give him another walk later in the evening?

We have tried leaving him, but a neighbour has come round and complained that he is waking her up!!!!

He is in a wire crate, first in the conservatory, then in the lounge and now finally in the dining room.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:16 pm

You could give him a short walk or play with him before he goes to sleep.
Maybe you could put something on his crate so his crate is dark.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Freyja screamed bloody murder when we first brought her home at 9 weeks. She sleeps in a crate next to our bed, and next to Fenris' crate. The first two nights I slept on the floor next to her crate--as close as possible. The third night and all the nights after I sleep in our bed next to her crate. We began to ignore her whining once she was old enough to hold it through the night. Also, holding food and water a few hours before bedtime helps. That way they don't wake up "really having to go" and crossing their paws. :D
It is quite dark in our bedroom, plus I have blankets covering the top and back of her crate--she can see me through the side, but any light coming in through the curtains is blocked by the top and back.
Freyja is also very regular--she wants up at 7 am no matter what we are doing. Usually it's just so that she can climb in bed with us to snuggle until we get up. She's such a sweetie. Fenris, in the other hand, sleeps in. He won't get up that early ever. He usually sleeps until 9!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Maybe this breed is just early to rise!Sasha wont sleep past 6:30ish but as my little girl is normally awake by 6 is doesn't matter!! If my little girl does occasionaly sleep a little latter Sasha is always howling at the bottom of the stairs by 6:30. She does tend to have the bulk of her exercise earlier on in the day though so a late walk could help? :roll: I will try it!!

hearn188
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by hearn188 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but our 5 month old Tam wakes up whining at 4 am !!! He will setltle if we let him out for a wee/poo but then starts again about 5 and wont re settle until he is fed!

No matter what we do, he cant last past 4 without soiling the kitchen so we figure rather a clean kitchen than a lie in!

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 pm

We've got the same problem with Elska, she is up with the birds too. She doesn't sleep in a crate but wakes up at 4-4.30am ready for her first play of the day, we have tried many different things but have found the only way to settle her (and us to get some sleep!) is to let her out and feed her and then she will sleep again until 6.30-7ish.
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 am

Normally Loo stirs at about the same time - 5:00am - (although she is not crated) I generally let her out, feed her then she's content to go back to sleep. Have you tired to allow the dog to lounge around w/o being crated?
"I like my dogs more than most people"

Tamtastic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tamtastic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 am

When we cover Maska's cage with blankets, we come down the next morning to find that he has pulled it into the cage (well as much as he can).

He is now a huge dog, something like 28" high, weighing about 37kg. He does like to stretch out when he lies down during the day. Do you think he needs a bigger cage? What size does everyone else have?

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:41 am

Jen wrote:Maybe this breed is just early to rise!!
and other breeds :(

im regularly up at 5am with Cody; our other two seem to sleep through it but Cody is also playing up in mornings

yawn.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:24 pm

wow i feel lucky with Kovo..
He slept to about 6 when we got him.. but we just ignored him to 7-7.30 - later in the weekends.
Now he sleeps as long as we do, or at least he doesnt annoy us..

But he has acces to both my room and my roommates room, and the hall in which both his food and water is, and he spends his alone hours when we work/go to school..
>> Nino <<

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:49 pm

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:21 pm

When ever we go to bed Kovo goes to bed, and thats not the same time every night (since we are young and not to smart hehe), he sleeps when ever he feels like it though.
we make him visit in the garden before we go off to bed, so that he dont have to go in the night.
If he has to go anyways, he wakes us (mostly me thogh) up.

dont know if you asked only about tamaskans, but there you are ;-)
>> Nino <<

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 pm

My gosh, that all sounds so crazy! Poor you with your early morning wake up calls!
For the first 3 or 4 nights when we brought Zuuk home at 7.5 weeks old he slept on a cushion next to our bed and would wake me in the middle of the night to be let out, but he soon started sleeping longer and we gradually moved him to a crate downstairs. Since he was 8.5 weeks he has slept through the night and doesn't get up until we do. He no longer needs a crate and sleeps loose downstairs, but still doesn't start moving around until he hears me get up and he will then move to the bottom of the stairs and will lie there until I come down, but doesn't make a peep. I normally go downstairs and walk him at 7.30/8ish before I go to work, but if it's the weekend and I'm having a lie-in until 10 or 11, Zuuk lies-in too. Sometimes he'll start howling if my boyfriend has already been up and gone to work and I'm upstairs still, but he hasn't woken me up at crazy o'clock since that first week. Which is a good thing because I could not cope with such early mornings!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:31 am

When I first got Jasper as a pup, he was very restless at night if he wasn't in the same room as me so I put his doggy-pillow next to my bed for the first few days... eventually (the next night perhaps? lol) I even let him sleep in bed next to me. Even though dog trainers all warn against this behavior, I made certain to enforce the fact that each time *I* invited him up and told him when to get off the bed; he never decided for himself. Eventually, as time passed, he realized he was getting too big for the bed (not enough space) and he chose, of his own accord, to sleep in the hallway... he no longer needed the comfort/security and must have realized he wasn't getting much sleep (kept getting nudged / kicked, etc) so went where it was more comfortable for him! Now he rarely goes on the bed anymore. ;)

In the mornings he would wake up early as a puppy, so I'd take him out to do his business around 6am and then go back to sleep... eventually he learned to wait longer and longer so now he just has a lie-in each morning and gets up when I get up. It's the typical "restless child" situation that affects all youngsters... all you can do is put up with it (and give them something to do to occupy their time) and eventually they grow out of it. As for now: I'm so happy that my Tamaskans enjoy sleeping-in... like me! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 pm

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Ray
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ray » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:43 pm

He's probably lying around in evening as part boredom to really get him tired play a game with him in the evening stimulating his mind even for just 20 min - 30 min, definatley take him out for 30 min walk in evening the just before you go to bed a quick round the block or 10 min. doing this will defo tire him out and hav kept his mind a bit more occupied. if you put him to bed at 11pm of 12 midnite you should get through to 7.30 or 8.30am no problem. Hes wkinging up early because hes rested too much and come 5am hes bored and in need of mental stimulation.

Let me know how you get on. Hope this helps.

Ray :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:14 am

Good advice Ray :)

You could also try setting the radio or TV to come on early (not too loud) because animals like to listen to voices, etc. Or perhaps some soothing music to lull them back to sleep. Otherwise the only option is to wake up, take them out, and then go back to bed... but then that might become an annoying early-morning routine. Hmmm...

Tamtastic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tamtastic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 am

We finally decided that both our dogs should sleep in our room with us. They come up to bed with us when we go, dive straight under the bed and sleep until we decide to get up in the morning ... usually about 7:30. Maska just doesn't like being away from us .. very much a pack animal. Thankfully we all get decent sleep now.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Glad to hear that's working out. :D
It sounds very common for young Tamaskan pups but, eventually, they do become more independent and want their own space... just like children. When Jasper was a little pup, he was only happy if he slept on the bed with us... now that he's an adult, he prefers to sleep on the couch in the hallway, which he doesn't have to share with anyone or risk getting poked / shoved / kicked / all night long while he sleeps. :lol:

Keir
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Keir » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 pm

This is much the same for our young Siberian (Kai).
He now comes to bed with us and we all sleep well, but now have to train him to let us leave the house.