Heel work with two dogs

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Heel work with two dogs

Post by AngieH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Now that Fable has joined our household full time, I'm curious about how other multiple-dog families manage walks.

Paka and Fable walk together nicely in casual situations with no play-fighting or leash tangling. But when going to dog-friendly stores, public street fairs and using busy metro-park paths, I like to walk them at heel.

When Wayne and I can each take a dog, we're fine. But sometimes I want to take them both with me alone.

I have been walking them one on each side of me. Will that confuse the dog on the right? (both have been trained obedience on the left.) or should the dogs walk beside on another with both on my left?

Is there an obedience protocol for working two dogs at heel at the same time?

Thanks,

-A
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Heel work with two dogs

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 pm

When I use to walk my cousins 2 husky malamute mixes I would use a leash splitter and the would still both be able to stay on the left side of me and not get tangled or wrapped around me. As for getting them to heel, I have some to the conclusion Arctic breeds are about impossible in this department when there is more than one of them... Zephyr is pretty good with easy and heel, but with another dog the definitions of those words fall out of his brain. I just make sure I wear good tennis shoes to keep strong footing.

Here is the leash splitter (easy cause only one leash to hold and the dogs will stay together if they get away)
louie and lacie 20cm splitter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 am

I also use the leash splitter when I walk both Rukia and Ulric, only problem is Ulric will try to pull more then while Rukia will decide to drag behind. Best thing I can do is hold the lead behind me so I am in between them and then they will kind of equal out and not pull or drag do much, though Ulric will try to sneak to to Rukia's side and try to pull again.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:15 am

Couplers are awesome!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm

We've had a hard time keeping the girls at a heel on the same side as Naima likes to pull ahead of Kona. When kept one to each side they have an easier time staying in a heel (I have no idea what the official protocol is for heeling on the right side either, sorry!), though stopping can get sloppy since they have different ways to go into a sit--Naima just drops her butt straight to the ground, and Kona steps forward into her sit so they rarely line up with my feet when together. We've "reset", and are letting the girls walk together ahead of us but are required to not pull at all, keeping the leash completely slack, and stay head to head. We're *hoping* once they can perfect that, we can gradually pull them both to the left side and avoid one pulling ahead. We're using a 4 foot leash, so the length they have to squirm around is pretty small to begin with.

So far, as long as another dog or flying leaf doesn't happen to enter their line of sight, they can hold it together. Once that happens, all bets are off and at least one of them is jumping/pulling or trying to chase the leaf :roll:

Good luck!

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks guys,
Using a splitter has made it easier to heal them both on the same side. I keep whichever one is is feeing "feisty" closest to me and the sister farther away actually helps control the sis-in-the-middle. The trick is identifying which one is feeling her oats at any given time. LOL
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 am

I've walked two dogs (a poodle and an Irish wolfhound) using a splitter before during a visit to the harbour front at downtown Toronto. They're very effective tools for keeping a pair close together as long as the two are about the same height.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 pm

AngieH wrote:Thanks guys,
Using a splitter has made it easier to heal them both on the same side. I keep whichever one is is feeing "feisty" closest to me and the sister farther away actually helps control the sis-in-the-middle. The trick is identifying which one is feeling her oats at any given time. LOL
Kudos to you for accomplishing this! I'd be dragged behind two dogs if I tried it this way. LOL Mine are just too excited to see squirrels / cats / rabbits on the walk--they'd pull me over if I took more than one at a time.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends