Recall Training

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Recall Training

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Every few minutes we call the dogs back to us and give them a small piece of venison. If the dogs go out of sight for even a second, we call them back and give them a treat. It helps that Freyja is very obedient and the rest of our pack tend to want to stick with her. When we call her back she turns on a dime and comes to us. Fenris gets distracted by smells sometimes, and by water (he's a lab mix). Darwin has a hard time keeping up so he's a little slower than the rest.

We hope to take Raven off leash for the first time this year at camp. We're hoping for cool / cold temps. :D I don't like hiking in the heat, and neither do the dogs.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Does anyone see a difference between males and females off leash? Or am I imagining things?

We took Raven off leash for the first time last week--she did superb! "Raven, come!" and she turned on a dime and came back every time, just like momma. Darwin, on the other hand, has other ideas. Both girls are very interested in the venison we use as treats. Darwin could care less about treats at all while off leash--which is strange because he's such a chow hound.

Do other folks with male Tams have poor recall off leash?
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:00 pm

I have been wondering something similar... And curious to know if i'd be able to have my dog off leash if i'd have wanted a female... Also, if there is a difference between intact males and not intact males... Like, females may be better due to having 'seasons' and males are interested in the opposite sex all year round...
Sam had 98% reliable recall till 6 month when he started noticing the scent of the ladies and forgetting me and the treats existed... He can smell the ladies a street a way, 5-10 mins before i can even see them (main reason he is not allowed off leash, don't want any accidents if he smells them and runs after them)...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 pm

lexi has been allowed off lead for several months now and she is a very good girl. dylan is great in the garden but we haven't tried him anywhere else yet, all you have to say to dylan is do you want a sweetie and he comes straight back cause he is such a piggy :D

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Does anyone see a difference between males and females off leash? Or am I imagining things?

We took Raven off leash for the first time last week--she did superb! "Raven, come!" and she turned on a dime and came back every time, just like momma. Darwin, on the other hand, has other ideas. Both girls are very interested in the venison we use as treats. Darwin could care less about treats at all while off leash--which is strange because he's such a chow hound.

Do other folks with male Tams have poor recall off leash?

Zephyr is a chow hound too but when he is off lead no so much. The smells and being free is better than anything I can give him. Does Darwin ever foam at the mouth when he is off lead in the woods? When Zephyr gets the scent of another dog he will lick the scent and continue on strolling around except with gobs of drool and and foam falling from his mouth.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes, Darwin drools when he gets a good scent. For those who don't know, all of our dogs are in tact: both females and our male Tam. Only our lab x aussie mix is fixed, but sometimes scent gets the best of him, too--or water. He *loves* water.

We only take our dogs off leash in places where we will likely not see people: the mountains, the woods, etc. I would not take our Tams off leash in the neighborhood. Not only is there a leash law, but my dogs do not stay right by my side. For at least a good hour when we're on hikes, our dogs do huge circles around us all the way--exploring as they go, and coming back in for treats when we call.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 pm

The drooling things scares me at he smacks the foam around and it makes him look feral.

When we say good at being off lead I don't think we should expect that this breed will ever stay right by our side. Even though for about the first half hour to hour Zeph will not come close to me, he does stay in proximity that I can see him or hear his tags. I am fine with this, but when I was looking into the breed I thought they would be more like a shepherd in the since I could be working in the front yard and I wouldn't have to worry about my dog going wondering down the road. But looking on it now I don't mind tieing him out front so he can be with me. He can be off lead when we are way away from roads or other people when my cousins huskys are not capabile of this.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Right now, Kuhmo's recall seems totally dependent on what has his attention. If there are no distractions around, he's great. If he's found an interesting scent in the grass, he'll eventually come after he's checked it out to his liking. If it's another person or a dog, no chance he's coming back when called. Same with squirrels. Sometimes he'll come back if he's going after a bird. Still trying to find that one treat that will make me the best thing in the world no matter what. xD

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:28 am

I am so bookmarking this page as I figure I'll need to come back here to read some advices in the future when I have my dog. :D

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 am

Well, after reading all the previous posts, I don't feel so bad about Max. He's not snack oriented either and it seems like recall for him is something he does to appease me, from time to time, in hopes that eventually I'll leave him alone :roll: . He does very well though on leash when we go on walks, minimal pulling, as he tends to be weary of most things he hasn't seen before. When he was younger (3-4 months), I could take him off leash so he could run and play in the run off (creek) in front of our property. Once he realized there was another dog next door that was always leashed outside (not a friendly dog), he would just ignore me totally when I called and head up to that house to play -- totally freaked me out as I know this dog would just as soon tear him apart. So, no off-leash in our neighborhood anymore - period -and at this time I don't trust him, even a little bit, off-leash anywhere at any time. As others have suggested, and I do hope is true, with age this may change somewhat, but it really sounds like it's one of those "breed" issues. At least he has a half acre wooded fenced yard to run around in. . .

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm

'S really sad to hear that this breed generally can't be trusted off leash (maybe another reason to add a breed to the genepool which has a greater will-to-please, and less a will to actually wander off and do their own thing).

I've had a dog once which you couldn't trust off leash, we did unleash him on the fields anyway, because he just had so much energy which he needed to burn off, but he would go hunsting after everything, no calling whatsoever could make him turn around, and when he smelled a female (was an intact Irish Setter btw), he was just GONE and you had to collect him in front of houses, barking away (the only way to actually find him again, following the noise of his barkings)

I never want to have a dog like that ever again, we worried so much when he was gone, always. Despite being on the countryside, there were dangerous streets around, afterall.

Tessa (my mum's dog) loves to hunt mice, which is fine though because they don't run away very far. If she sees rabbits and hunts after them, you can recall her with a loud, serious and firm "NO!" - if she's not too far away, anyway.

Monobi doesn't seem to be interessted into any animals so far (but maybe that'll change once he's not so nervous outside anymore), although we didn't come across any rabbits yet, just birds.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Dottie,
Have you played hide and seek with Max? Start off in the house, with two people, only about six feet apart. Max should not have a leash on. Each person needs treats. Say "Max, come!" And when he starts toward you, praise him with "good boy!" When he reaches you, give him a treat. Have the other person call him back in the same way. Then move further apart and repeat. Then move into a different room out of sight (maybe around a corner or behind a chair). Call him to you in the same way. Eventually work your way up to playing hide and seek with him in the house, always doing the "Max, come!" He should come more and more quickly with training. If he begins to anticipate to go to the other person before he is called, ignore this and don't treat. Have the other person call him back.
Once he does this successfully inside the house, try in your yard. Fenced in would be best to start. If you don't have a fenced yard, try a tennis court. Do the same thing: start with two people who have treats standing about six feet apart. Move further and further apart after he has mastered the situation. Once he masters the back yard, move to a location where you would want to take him off leash. If you are nervous to just let him off to try and train, they make very long training leads you could use to start with. Start over again by standing six feet apart, with *irresistible* treats calling him back and forth as you always have. Begin moving apart when he comes to you reliably. (you could either have one person hold the training lead or tie it to a tree so that he can reach both of you without "correcting" himself) Start hiding behind trees. Then, have one person hold him on a leash while the other person hides behind a tree. The person hiding says "Max, come!" and the other person releases him from the leash. When he comes to you, praise him like crazy and give lots of treats--a jackpot--one treat after another, after another after another after another. Be excited that your dog came to you off leash! Repeat this and increase the distance. This is how we've trained Freyja and Raven to be off leash with good recall. We used diced venison for off lead training. Perhaps liver or chicken (real meat!) will work for others. The point is that the treat used is not something they get for regular training--make it special so they really want it!
Another trick is taking a pup out with an adult dog who has good recall. If the pup likes the other dog--they tend to stick together and - viola! - you have a doggie helper to help train off lead.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Both of mine are great with recall
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:40 am

Tracy, That sounds like it just might be a great game for my hubby and me to play with Max. I'll definitely star that asap. Also, I took him for a good hour walk this evening and all he wanted to do is stop every few feet to smell whatever. Since it's his walk at his pace, I don't push (too much). He is always such a "gentleman" waiting and coming when I tell him and, of course, getting a treat and a hug with praise. No matter how much slack I give him with the leash, he stays within the boundaries, "mostly" -- being the key word here I guess I'm just so paranoid that I probably wouldn't turn him loose even if he proved he'd come back. :roll: I'm just so fearful of losing him -- or worse. :? I know, gotta' get over the whole "mothering" thing. I'm working on it (my kids call me the "ultimate worrier." I worry when I can't find something to worry about ;) .

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Dottie--
I think everyone goes through that worrying. When we took Freyja off leash for the first time she ran as fast as she could away from us. Ben said "Well, there she goes--she's not coming back." And started to run towards her. After about a length of a football field, she came right back. :D She just loves to run. And she flies. It's such a joy seeing her run off leash. Speaking of which--we're probably going to camp next weekend. More off-leash day-hikes! If anyone is ever in the Northcentral part of PA you're welcome to join us! We usually have the entire woods to ourselves.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Tracy,
Wow, would almost be worth the trip just to see Max able to run until he can't run anymore and still come back (as he'd have a pack of dogs to run with). He loves to run around our yard and does run full out, with darting back and forth and it's just so amazing to watch, but never sure just what he would do if he had the distance -- and no fence (and I'm afraid to find out :roll: )

Ausbird
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ausbird » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Tatzel wrote:
TeresaC wrote:I once threw myself on the ground and rolled around and laughed like a mad-woman. Made the dog come back :lol:
Hahah, I really like that suggestion, and it's so true! If you makea spectacle out of yourself, your dog's much more likely to come back to you.
I also heard that crouching or lying down flat makes you appear much further away for your dog, so they will come rushing to catch up.
It's funny, that reminds me of a segment of It's Me or the Dog on this very subject that stuck with me because of the high-pitched noise the trainer used (yay, I managed to find it again!). It demonstrated that sometimes you have to make a be willing to make a spectacle of yourself to entice interest from the dog in returning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVh4jPltkwA&t=19m24s

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Ausbird wrote:
Tatzel wrote:
TeresaC wrote:I once threw myself on the ground and rolled around and laughed like a mad-woman. Made the dog come back :lol:
Hahah, I really like that suggestion, and it's so true! If you makea spectacle out of yourself, your dog's much more likely to come back to you.
I also heard that crouching or lying down flat makes you appear much further away for your dog, so they will come rushing to catch up.
It's funny, that reminds me of a segment of It's Me or the Dog on this very subject that stuck with me because of the high-pitched noise the trainer used (yay, I managed to find it again!). It demonstrated that sometimes you have to make a be willing to make a spectacle of yourself to entice interest from the dog in returning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVh4jPltkwA&t=19m24s
LOL. So true...

Another nifty tid-bit related to this: if someone sees a dog running towards danger (like a busy road), then they'll usually chase the dog. I've been taught that's a big no-no (and it makes sense)...Instead, you should act like a crazy lunatic and run in the opposite direction away from danger and then crouch down close to the ground. When you crouch down close to the ground, the dog usually thinks "oh! I can catch that!" and gets more excited to catch you. ;) Have a leash ready to loop around the dog and voila - dog caught. :D

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Here is what I've done with Ayla.

Since she was a baby pup i left her off leash most of the time. But wen she reached 5-6 months old she began to "think" before obey. If she was more interested by anything than me, she didn't come back. (and that happens OFTEN :D, i'm a very boring human, i guess.)
As the hunting season begun at the same time, i started to walk her with a lunge (for horses) and when i call her back, i pull on the lunge untill she will be at my side. Eventually, she started to understand that when i say the magic word, she has no choice but coming.
That works well, except in stressfull situation (other dogs, or animals, people screaming...)
In the same time, i began to do classic obedience training with her.
Eventually, i come to work with her obedience outside, in the wild, off leash.
So she understands that she has to obey everytime, even outside of the training field.

Now, we're not perfect, but i can trust her outside. (well, if a rabbit just pops up in front of her nose, i won't swear she'll still obey lol, but she's still very young!)

The only way a dog can learn is from repetition. Start in quiet place, with a long leash. Then in other places, always with the long leash (we worked five months, always with the long leash.)
When it begins to be good with the leash, start working without one. At first in calm and secure place, etc
Your call should be FUN :D The dog should feel like obey to you is super fun.

Good luck to everybody. Keep working!

Here is a very small film from our walk this morning. Two recalls, off leash, in the "wild" :)

(I'm speacking in french, but, you will understand lol)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Sam had another off leash day today and! and! and!!! I called, he came and because he came back so easy (in setad of me chasing him for half hour) i let him go again and he came back every time i called! It was like someone stole my dog and replaced him with one that listened :lol: He was off leash for an hour!

I'll not get too excited tho, it will take a few days like this for me to think we might actually have a break through but it's a great start after years of work...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 pm

TerriHolt wrote:Sam had another off leash day today and! and! and!!! I called, he came and because he came back so easy (in setad of me chasing him for half hour) i let him go again and he came back every time i called! It was like someone stole my dog and replaced him with one that listened :lol: He was off leash for an hour!

I'll not get too excited tho, it will take a few days like this for me to think we might actually have a break through but it's a great start after years of work...
That's AWESOME!!!! I'm SO proud of you and Sam! :D

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered teaching him an emergency recall command? I don't let my lab off leash because she won't come back...(sound familiar?) but I have taught her an attention sound (that I would have used as emergency recall) - it's that horse clicky sound. I can't make the sound myself (it sucks), so I used a clicker for that purpose - works great! Every time I randomly click the clicker, Abby thinks "treat!" and will look for me to give her a treat (or tons of affection). I can even click the clicker when she's dead asleep and she'll come looking for a treat. lol. It's funny.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I've tried everything, until today nothing worked because he had no interest in treats or noises or anything except the smells which was the only thing to hold his attention. I started with a whistle, normal one not a dog one (or would that be better? I was told it's painful to the ears...) and a short, sharp blast would get him to look, then back to the smells he goes.
I'm wondering if we have found a gap in bitches in heat? He still went sniffing but not as intently with only minor foam and as soon as i called, he spun on heel and came running over and on occasion stayed by my side (it made me feel wanted :D ). But saying that, there can't possibly be a bitch in heat every week for months on end :?

>>>This bit i think is my fault, because he doesn't come when called and i'm worried about other dogs (esp bitches in heat) coming in, i leash him after he's had a run and the first time i catch him. So he prolongs the capture and leash. I've been told a lot to not put leash on the 1st time he comes back but i never want to risk letting go again<<<

After the sniffing and he knows i want him back and i mean it, he will torment me (people say i'm exaggerating and dogs don't torment but he does! and he does it with toys too) . He will run as if coming to me and at the last minute go to the side, juuuust out of my reach and i swear he is laughing at me as he runs off. This he does over and over, it's only by luck i reach out far enough and get him...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 pm

I didn't read all but I do find it a bit strange/funny that some have problems with their tams of leash in recall.
I have 5 woofers where 2 are tams( male and female), one is a CwD(female), one is a Saarloos(male) and a mid content saarloos cross(male)
All have good recall,....better said if they are of leash I often have to stimulate them to move further away from me than just that meter..........
So I do think it has the most to do with how you as a owner are in trust and how/when you learn them to come to you.
Maybe sounds strange but that is the first thing I begin with as soon as they are in my house from minute one.
I never train with food I just make it for the puppy more fun to be with me than all other stuff, humans or dogs.....
Mhhh me and my english made it all clear now didn't I WHAHAHAH :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

weylyn wrote:I didn't read all but I do find it a bit strange/funny that some have problems with their tams of leash in recall.
I have 5 woofers where 2 are tams( male and female), one is a CwD(female), one is a Saarloos(male) and a mid content saarloos cross(male)
All have good recall,....better said if they are of leash I often have to stimulate them to move further away from me than just that meter..........
So I do think it has the most to do with how you as a owner are in trust and how/when you learn them to come to you.
Maybe sounds strange but that is the first thing I begin with as soon as they are in my house from minute one.
I never train with food I just make it for the puppy more fun to be with me than all other stuff, humans or dogs.....
Mhhh me and my english made it all clear now didn't I WHAHAHAH :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
Yes, but you have a pack, they behave differently. They are all competing for your favors and attention, that's way better than any treat:D

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Czertice wrote:
weylyn wrote:I didn't read all but I do find it a bit strange/funny that some have problems with their tams of leash in recall.
Yes, but you have a pack, they behave differently. They are all competing for your favors and attention, that's way better than any treat:D
O yes I am the first to say that all is easier when you have a pack...but remember I also just started with one and that is the one that listen on all levels the best ;) Because she had all the time hwere the others had to share when they just came in ;)

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

weylyn wrote:
Czertice wrote:
O yes I am the first to say that all is easier when you have a pack...but remember I also just started with one and that is the one that listen on all levels the best ;) Because she had all the time hwere the others had to share when they just came in ;)
Yup, that's what people call second dog's syndrome - the second dog usually obeys less, since the owner has less time to train him and socialize him separately;] That's quite normal, it only becomes bad when the second dog bonds better with the first dog than with the owner, becoming dependent on him, hopeless when alone.

LiannaeLeagadh
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by LiannaeLeagadh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Great topic *bookmarking
Fáelan Liannáe Leagadh