Bite inhibition

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Bite inhibition

Post by Sally » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 pm

My pup Nixi will be 12 weeks old this weekend, and she still has a very hard and persistent bite. I know it is just puppy overexuberance, and have tried the yelping, restraining and ignoring methods, but she just doesn't seem to care.
I can handle this, and I am sure she will grow out of it. My worry is when she runs at my three year old son and tries to play with him. When she bites she is right in his face. I don't want to scare her by grabbing her too hard or fast, but she cannot be allowed to bite his face.
Any advice on this would be much appreciated

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Bite inhibition

Post by Tarheel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:13 am

I need a bit more information to understand the biting, Who, what, where, why, is Nixi Biting? Do you have any chew toys for her? If so what are they and does she use them? Is she biting in a playful mouthing way, or is she biting as in attacking way, or is she just chewing on you? The best thing I can tell you now without knowing any details is remove the puppy from what she is biting, replace the biting with a chew toy.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well. I am concerned about my puppy biting my sons face. She is not being aggressive, just normal puppy behavior. But she is 20 pounds, fast, and has teeth sharp enough to draw blood.
This is my first Tamaskan, so I was hoping others who have raised a Tamaskan with young children around could offer advice. Like when the biting usually calms down, or if they used any particular training methods effectively.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Did you teach her the command 'No'? What I would do with the pups is train them to understand the meaning of the word 'No' by taking a treat in my hand and keep it in front of them, then if they would try to get it I would quickly close my hand and tell them 'No'. I would repeat that until they would stop trying to grab the treat out of my hand and then I would praise them and give them the treat as reward.

When they are biting I would then tell them 'No' and offer them something else instead to bite in (like Tarheel says, a chew toy). She is probably teething and during that time they will use their teeth even more. It might take a while for her to calm down a bit and understand that she isn't allowed to bite in hands and clothes, all pups go trough this stage.

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks Rahne,
She does well with the "No" command when there are treats available and she is focused on me. Hopefully she will calm down soon.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:43 pm

My Zephyr was a mouthy little puppy and yelping and squeaking didn't work. I had to hold his mouth shut and tell him no, then I would give him a toy. Having a variety of toys of different toughness and texture helped as well as doggie ice cream when his mouth was bothering him. He eventually grew out of that stage and is only full of kisses these days.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I also tought Shay the "No" command right from day one.

If she put her Teeth on me in any way I would give her a "no" and hand her a toy. If she persisted she Got a firm "NO" and I would grab her by her muzzle, lay her on her side and pinned her down on the floor till she relaxed.
On a couple of occasions she tryed to grab me again strait afterwards so I grabbed her again by the muzzle, pinned her, said no and when she relaxed and I let her up again she had got the 'point.

Shay's problem is her total 'bounce' mode that she goes into when she get's excited. If she grabbed at me while in this state I would say "NO" then firmly put her in her crate and cover it over with the sheet. Dog's use seperation as a form of punnishment in the wild so she was well aware that she had over stepped the mark and was calmed down again before I let her re-join the 'pack'.

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice.
That's exactly the problem I have been having, the "No" command is great when she is calm, but when she gets excited I have to grab her and restrain her. I have also given her time out in the crate. I guess I have just been worried about creating a nervous dog when I have to grab her and pin her down. It's good to hear that others have done this too :)

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Sally wrote:Thanks for the advice.
That's exactly the problem I have been having, the "No" command is great when she is calm, but when she gets excited I have to grab her and restrain her. I have also given her time out in the crate. I guess I have just been worried about creating a nervous dog when I have to grab her and pin her down. It's good to hear that others have done this too :)
If you ever watch wolves or ferral dog's you will see them pin eachother down and hold them by their muzzle... It's how they say "NO"

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I would consider using a squirt bottle or shake can rather than pinning if you are going to back up your "no". I know it's really great to keep things entirely positive with puppies but I do think that for instances like biting your son's face (absolutely not acceptable!), using a non-physical light correction would be appropriate.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:I would consider using a squirt bottle or shake can rather than pinning if you are going to back up your "no".
I totally agree with this method :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Rhokk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Rhokk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I can say that the squirt bottle and rocks in a can do not work for all dogs. The puppies I was taking care of earlier this year and my lab growing up would only respond to a muzzle grab. I always hate doing it, but it works and doesn't hurt the dog.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Rhokk wrote:I can say that the squirt bottle and rocks in a can do not work for all dogs. The puppies I was taking care of earlier this year and my lab growing up would only respond to a muzzle grab. I always hate doing it, but it works and doesn't hurt the dog.
Yes I fully agree that no method will work for every dog! I have yet to see a dog who doesn't respond to a well executed shake can correction (give it a really hard shake, at the same time as a very firm "NO"), but I'm sure they are out there. I know some dogs actually LIKE being squirted...

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

Kootenaywolf wrote: Yes I fully agree that no method will work for every dog! I have yet to see a dog who doesn't respond to a well executed shake can correction (give it a really hard shake, at the same time as a very firm "NO"), but I'm sure they are out there. I know some dogs actually LIKE being squirted...
That worked on my nephew when he gave me the finger a couple of years ago :lol:
Not a real shake but like a half one, a very stirdy NO I WILL NOT HAVE YOU DO THAT! and then I walked away.. he have never done it to me again :lol: (he's 8 now ;) )
>> Nino <<

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I have used the restraining methods with other dogs successfully. With my Tamaskan I literally have to run across the room and rugby tackle her. Even then she does not get the message, my kids are covered in scratches and bite marks. She has attacked two children in the last two days (this was aggression, not playing) I have never met a pup with such a fear of strangers, she also growls at anyone who comes into the house. She has been socialized from the day I got her, she comes to the school every day, has been to shops, lots of different places for walks, she also goes to puppy classes and dog socialization classes. I am now working with a trainer to resolve these issues.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Sally wrote:Thanks for the input. I have used the restraining methods with other dogs successfully. With my Tamaskan I literally have to run across the room and rugby tackle her. Even then she does not get the message, my kids are covered in scratches and bite marks. She has attacked two children in the last two days (this was aggression, not playing) I have never met a pup with such a fear of strangers, she also growls at anyone who comes into the house. She has been socialized from the day I got her, she comes to the school every day, has been to shops, lots of different places for walks, she also goes to puppy classes and dog socialization classes. I am now working with a trainer to resolve these issues.
Wow...she sounds like quite a handful! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good luck with her!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:52 am

Sally wrote:Thanks for the input. I have used the restraining methods with other dogs successfully. With my Tamaskan I literally have to run across the room and rugby tackle her. Even then she does not get the message, my kids are covered in scratches and bite marks. She has attacked two children in the last two days (this was aggression, not playing) I have never met a pup with such a fear of strangers, she also growls at anyone who comes into the house. She has been socialized from the day I got her, she comes to the school every day, has been to shops, lots of different places for walks, she also goes to puppy classes and dog socialization classes. I am now working with a trainer to resolve these issues.
I am sorry you are going through this :( Have you talked to other people that got puppies from this litter to see if they are having some of the same issues? I am glad you are taking the right approach by getting a trainer to work with her.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

so sad to hear about all of your trouble.
I cannot say that I had the same problems with my girl (same mother, and half sister of father) about biting.. she is soft and loves children.
She is shy with strangers though and have always been, not aggressive, just shy and not just jumping around happy when people come into the house..
I have found that if people ignore her totally, and let her take the time she needs to smell, look and examine the one who have come in, she will handle it much easier and come around.

My uncle she kept barking at, he have always had dogs, and even had police dogs (he's a police officer) but he just couldn't get her to accept him, first when he gave up and started to ignore her she came around and started liking her..
>> Nino <<