is it possible to train a tamaskan

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

is it possible to train a tamaskan

Post by Jbagajluk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 pm

is it possible to train a tamaskan to stay away from snakes in general? cause in australia. we have i think its like 4 out of the top 7 deadliest snakes in the world and i think the taipan is the deadliest of them all and they live in brisbane. i am asking this because my friend went outside to find a carpet python attacking the 9 month old boader collie. he reckons his dog was trying to play with it or something but cause these snakes eat goats, it could have been hungry so is it possible to teach them to stay away?

thanks
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: is it possible to train a tamaskan

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:11 pm

it could be possible with extensive training using all different kinds of plastic/rubber ones... y'know, like leave it laying round, dog goes near it and a firm no everytime it goes near the toy snake... or take the snake to the dog, move the dog away then reward... all different ways of going about it but anything is possible if doen the right way ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Is it possible? Certainly. Tamaskan are very intelligent.

Likely a dog trainer in your area will offer snake proofing classes or aversion training classes. In general it seems as though trainers follow an outline of rendering the snake harmless in some way and then allowing the dog to inspect the snake while wearing a shock collar. The dog is allowed to investigate the snake and then a shock is administered. Check out this link for more information. http://rockchaser.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... avoid.html

In general I disagree with training using a shock collar, but perhaps this is one situation where it could be warranted.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm

WhiteElkStag wrote:Is it possible? Certainly. Tamaskan are very intelligent.

Likely a dog trainer in your area will offer snake proofing classes or aversion training classes. In general it seems as though trainers follow an outline of rendering the snake harmless in some way and then allowing the dog to inspect the snake while wearing a shock collar. The dog is allowed to investigate the snake and then a shock is administered. Check out this link for more information. http://rockchaser.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... avoid.html

In general I disagree with training using a shock collar, but perhaps this is one situation where it could be warranted.
I would agree with you especially if it had a quick result, hours or days compared to weeks months could save a life. I suppose it is like a sharp tap on the hand you would give a toddler going for a fire or plug socket. I would not use that method for anything less than serious injury or death situations.

Dallas
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Dallas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I understand why you would want a quick result because it's dangerous but I'd never use a shock collar.
This post pretty much explains why it's dangerous to use them even if it's only for a short time.

http://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 18&start=0
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Dallas wrote:I understand why you would want a quick result because it's dangerous but I'd never use a shock collar.
This post pretty much explains why it's dangerous to use them even if it's only for a short time.

http://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 18&start=0
I'm not supporting the use of shock collars in general training, and many of the points made in that essay are valid. Training should be a positive experience between the human and the dog. It should build a relationship and teach proper behavior. But, if you would read through the link that I posted earlier you'll see that in this case the shock acts as a non-lethal facsimile to the snake bite itself. There is a huge difference between training your dog to not jump on the table, and training your dog to avoid deadly snakes.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:01 pm

I believe that an unregistered Tamaskan (Aatu) has undergone anti-snake training (using a shock collar) - with very successful results. I am also totally against shock collars BUT I honestly think that, in this situation, it is warranted... far better for the dog to receive a shock and really LEARN the danger, than just a 'no' which can be forgotten at the risk of being bitten by a poisonous snake and dying as a result! Once the anti-snake training is complete, the collar would never have to be used again... for any other reason.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:17 pm

I was going to mention this but decided not to so as not to give anyone ideas as I am totally against E-collars BUT I did see a very good programme recently whereby Ceasar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) showed how to use an e-collar to train a dog to keep away from snakes. I must say I was very impressed and under these circumstances agree with what he did. However, an e-collar in inexperienced hands can be deadly. Trust me on that. I am an experienced dog trainer of 40 yrs training up to Police Dog Standard and beyond and have never needed to use an e-collar but have seen many damaged dogs that have resulted from the use of them so please people DONT rush out and buy one.
There are also banned here in UK but one can buy them online.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Here they are all the rage to make barking dogs be quiet. I refused to sell them at petland, instead selling the citronella collars in their place. Back to this situation...I suppose it may be a good idea, I know you'd be careful and not shock the socks off your pup so to me, in EXPERIENCED hands it could be a quick method to potentially save your dog's life. Let us know what you decide...
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose