Tamaskans in dog team

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Strider
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskans in dog team

Post by Strider » Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

We are new to Tamaskans but have 4 Alaskan Huskies. We have been researching and are now actively looking for a Tamaskan pup. This question is for those of you who may have dogsledding experience. Our dogs are larger than typical modern sprint racing dogs. Their height and size will match up well with the Tamaskans and they appear, from videos we have seen, to have similar gaits. What we are wondering is if any of you can comment on the Tamaskans speed in harness and their endurance over distance? We are only recreational mushers and don't really race. We just do this to have fun in the winter with the dogs. So we are not worried about championship speeds or Idiatrod wins. We just want to get an idea if they will match up well with our existing dogs when in team. So any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rahne

Re: Tamaskans in dog team

Post by Rahne » Wed May 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I have started sleddog training with my tamaskan girl past winter. She is still a rookie and hasn't done any races yet. We have mostly siberian husky's in the team and compared to them she is faster and stronger. I think her endurance is pretty much the same aswell. She is however a lot bigger (biggest in the team) and she has long legs and lean build so that may be why she is faster and stronger. What I do miss is the will to race and pull, the husky's can't wait to pull and will be jumping up and down and screaming while my girl will just stand there waiting for the rest to pull. She does enjoys it but I don't think she will mind if we do something else instead ;)

Now it does also depends on the bloodlines. My girl has only a small amount of 'finnish racing' husky while some others have a lot more husky in them.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu May 05, 2011 12:37 pm

This is really a how long is a piece of string question. I have huskies that dont like to run and some that do. I have the same with the Malamute and Tamaskan. Some will run others wont. It is the same when it comes to obedience/working trails/agility and so on and so on. Some dogs have what it takes whilst others dont. The Tamaskan in general is not a husky with the same focused desire to just run. Some of them just love it and will run just the same as a Husky or Malamute, some are just happy to go along for the ride not doing much work or pulling. As a breed they are just as capable as are other breeds... did you watch Snow Dogs with the Border Collie in lead? wonderful to watch her working like that. A lot of it is down to training as with any breed. Also the bloodlines can help of course. My Jackal (pure Finnish) was put on the rig with Dingo (pure Finnish) who is a def focused lead dog, and Jackal went off with Dingo like a rocket first time out, I couldnt believe the speed or enthusiasm.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue May 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Good to see you found the forum!
Freyja loves to pull and we've had her out quite a few times teaching her commands. I intend to keep up her training and add Darwin to the mix once he is ready (he's only 6 months). I intend to use both of them for skijoring. I'd love a cart some day--but that's down the line and more dogs :)
We've had our lab / aussie mix in the harness a couple of times too--he's certainly not a lead dog (Freyja is) but he likes to pull, too.
Everyone I take with me to take the dogs off-leash comment on how fast Freyja is--none of her doggie friends can catch her. So fun to watch!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Strider
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Strider » Fri May 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks,

The forum is great. I am learning quite a bit about the breed and hope to make some solid contacts for pups in the future. I am glad Freyja has taken to the harness well. We have been running dogs in harness for 15 years (small groups, the most we have ever had is 6 dogs). Skijoring, bikejoring, canicross and some dogsledding. They just love to pull and run, it is in their heart and soul. We have had our best days travelling through the BC forests for an afternoon and then coming home with our "pack" and curling up in front of the fireplace and TV to watch a movie (snowdogs, Eight Below, lol :D ) with all of them. They actually seem to watch the dog sequences.
It is great that you are working with just one or two dogs in harness. They essentially learn to work in lead all the time and almost any dog will be able to learn to work with Gee, Haw, Hike, Whoa, pick it up etc. when they are close to you and lined out in front. We could recommend some great videos and books on training dogs for sledding if you like. I hope you enjoy the adventure of learning to skijor (no brakes is unnerving sometimes) ;)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat May 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes, any recommendations are welcome. I like to read all I can get my hands on--and I can certainly see where a video may be even more instructional than a book for this subject!
By chance, does BC have a Ministry of Environment (I think that's what Ontario's is called)? :D We're determined to get back to Canada someday--and I know we'd be happier where there's snow :)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Strider
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Strider » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Yes BC has a ministry of environment as well as fish and wildlife and forestry divisions. Have you read, MUSH by the Sierra Dog drivers? It is older but a good resource for sledding. I have a couple others on skijoring and dog sledding. I will check the titles etc and post them later this week. For an enjoyable read about dog sledding adventures you should try to read Gary Paulsen's WinterDance or the youth version which is called Woodsong?

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Have read Woodsong. Have you read The Cruellest Miles...this book is fantastic. All about the Great Serum Run in Alaska back in the Goldrush days but tells a true account of the dogs that saved all the lives.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 19, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks for the titles, I will look into them. I do have a couple of books on skijoring--sadly they're all packed up for the move...and have been for a while. (we're waiting for our house to sell :( )
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Strider
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Strider » Fri May 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks Blustag for the other titles. A couple more good stories (recounts) of dog sled experiences are "Running North" and "My lead dog is a Lesbian". Yes that is the title and it is a well written and humerous story. We named our Rainy after the lead dog in the book. I know what the moving/selling thing is like. We moved about 10 months ago and just listed our old house, after winter thaw, to sell. We are waiting for it to go as well.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Good luck! Hope the housing market is better there than here!!!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I have 6 dogs mostly huskies and Dashka (tamaskan). We run a commercial husky ride business in the UK and Dash is our lead dog.
She is brilliant at commands and I trust her pretty much 100% when she runs up front. She will get you home without too much fuss or bother and is very smart.
She isn't the fastest,(we do have zeros and seppala in our huskies, so not really a fair comparison) so we run a pace setter with her and she prefers to run as a team and not in a pair. I had thought that she could take or leave running, but I tried leaving her to spectate once and she went mad.
I wouldn't be without her in my team now and is quite often the sensible one in our pack of nutters!!!!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey nice to see you here again. If you ever need another team member I have a crazy for running guy here in Dingo. Ive heard some screaming at the start of a race but nothing compares to him :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad all is going well. I really must pay you a visit sometime and see how Dashka is coming along :D

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 am

Your welcome anytime. Dash is such a good girl and a real crowd pleaser. She rolls over at the right time for the kids to rub her tummy, clever girl!!
Bring Dingo along and we can give him a spin with the team, if it's not too warm of course!!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:31 am

I will definately take you up and visit...just have to find the right time as hands full of pups right now :lol: I really need to get the dogs out running again soon, its just so damn hot right now :(

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Too hot!!!!!! You live up north it can't be warmer up there..... Saturday was driving rain, 10 degrees and I was flipping cold watching someone else run my dogs, I even hat my winter bobble hat on!!!
Does that make me a softy southerner??

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 am

dash wrote:Too hot!!!!!! You live up north it can't be warmer up there..... Saturday was driving rain, 10 degrees and I was flipping cold watching someone else run my dogs, I even hat my winter bobble hat on!!!
Softy southerner - probibly :lol: but it is cold. If it hot near Lynn then I am moving it's cold and wet here apart from the odd spot of sun, even I am fed up with the rain and I live in Manchester and am used to it.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 am

JulieSmith wrote:
dash wrote:Too hot!!!!!! You live up north it can't be warmer up there..... Saturday was driving rain, 10 degrees and I was flipping cold watching someone else run my dogs, I even hat my winter bobble hat on!!!
Softy southerner - probibly :lol: but it is cold. If it hot near Lynn then I am moving it's cold and wet here apart from the odd spot of sun, even I am fed up with the rain and I live in Manchester and am used to it.

i'm bout an hour away and i think it's too hot, but wet... it's too hot to take a coat but too wet to leave it behind. one minute it's raining, the next minute the sun comes out. typical weather ain't it? leave the house with brolly in one hand and sun glasses in the other :lol: . kinda feel silly with sunglasses on your hear when it's pouring with rain and poeple look at you silly when you try to explain "well, it was sunny this morning :oops: " :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

:lol: I now live on the east coast and apparently I live in the dryest part of England with the least amount of rainfall :lol: Temps here were up to 34degrees a couple of weeks ago and it was awful for the dogs. When I first moved here last year we put it on a scale of when we lived in The Algarve in Portugal as it never rained hardly at all all summer long and was so damn hot :lol:

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm so in the wrong part of the country!!!

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Well it would be no good here for you running the dogs. You could only do it here very early morning or late evening or night runs. ;) Night runs are brilliant as Im sure you know. Nothing better than being out with headlights catching all the wildlife in your beams :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm in the wrong part as well, just been for a walk to the pub in jeans jumper and coat!!! At least it had stopped raining