When can I run my pup?

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

When can I run my pup?

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:49 am

I have a six month old Tam pup approximately 40 pounds and I'd like to start running with her, and eventually have her pull sleds and carts. She probably weighs about two thirds of what she will come to weigh at adulthood, considering both her parents are 60+ pounds.

So, even though her muscles and bones aren't fully developed yet, is it safe to run a mile or two with her at 10 min/mile pace?

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: When can I run my pup?

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:43 am

I wouldn't, I think you could start getting her used to the harness but I would wait until at least a year has past.
Here for a "howling" good time :)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 am

I am amazed at a 6 month old, 40 something pound Tamaskan puppy.
I wouldn't do any strenuous exercise with your puppy until it is passed 12 mths of age.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Is that big or small for a six month old? Its a ballpark estimate. She hasn't been properly weighed for a while. She's going to a vet next week for a checkup where I'll get her proper weight and measurements. :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm

You can go for gentle runs with her but you have to build it up slowly. I still think 6 months old is a bit young for any intensive training... better around 8 - 9 months otherwise it could lead to hip problems in the future. She'll have plenty of opportunity to run as much as she wants when she's an adult so no point overdoing it when she is young. At her current age, she'd be better off playing at a dog park and socializing with other dogs... that way she can run and stop whenever she gets tired; even that has to be monitored so that she doesn't overdo it. ;)

As for harness training, you can get her used to wearing a harness and basic commands around 9 - 10 months old (once she's stopped growing - otherwise she'll need a new harness every time she outgrows the old one). And then you can begin practicing (light) pulling around 12 months up to heavier weight pulls at 18 months.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm

martinbernstein wrote:Is that big or small for a six month old? Its a ballpark estimate. She hasn't been properly weighed for a while.
That is quite heavy for a young female.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm

hmm, Konah was also weighing around 18kg at 6 months of age and she was lean.
I would wait until 12 months of age and then start slowly with training.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I agree with Rahne about waiting till your girl is 12 months before slowly building up to running. ;)

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. I'll wait for a while longer.
Blustag wrote:That is quite heavy for a young female.
She must be lighter then because she was the runt of her litter and is still slightly smaller than her brothers and sisters. Her breeder weighed her at 30 something pounds last month, so I assumed she'd put on a significant amount since then, but I must be mistaken.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Please wait at least a year before doing any type of paced running with your dog. Once you do start, remember that this is like teaching a child to run for the first time. You cannot just start out running a mile or two straight off the start. Gradually increase your distance as the dog gains endurance and strength. If she needs to stop and rest, let her. Also make sure you have an ample amount of water. Tamaskans drink water like crazy. :)
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Tarheel wrote:Please wait at least a year before doing any type of paced running with your dog. Once you do start, remember that this is like teaching a child to run for the first time. You cannot just start out running a mile or two straight off the start. Gradually increase your distance as the dog gains endurance and strength. If she needs to stop and rest, let her. Also make sure you have an ample amount of water. Tamaskans drink water like crazy.
Thanks. Yes, I am a runner and I certainly appreciate the value of gradual increases in speed and distance. I've messed up my ankles more than once in my eagerness to go too far too fast.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:30 pm

If she is a heavier than average female it is also important that you dont over do it with her as it can effect hips and shoulder in later life, along the same lines she should not climb stairs often or jump up and down from anywhere higher than your couch.

Many short walks at this age is advisable, then once she has reached about 10 months you can do some longer hikes (but take water) by 11 months some short 1 mile runs or hikes with a backpack to build muscle and stamina. But make sure she is not too fat or too thin. When running your dog remember do not feed her for 2hrs before or after and remember that during runs she should not drink too much water too cold or too quickly or this could result in torsion (the shifting of the stomach) its best to give her a little rest before giving her some water. I recommend feeding 'working' dogs once a day in the evening when all the exercise is over and this also gives her overnight to digest.
By 12 months she will be fully developed, you will have spent a good deal of time building her up to it and she should be ready to go
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm

blufawn wrote:If she is a heavier than average female it is also important that you dont over do it with her as it can effect hips and shoulder in later life, along the same lines she should not climb stairs often or jump up and down from anywhere higher than your couch.

Many short walks at this age is advisable, then once she has reached about 10 months you can do some longer hikes (but take water) by 11 months some short 1 mile runs or hikes with a backpack to build muscle and stamina. But make sure she is not too fat or too thin. When running your dog remember do not feed her for 2hrs before or after and remember that during runs she should not drink too much water too cold or too quickly or this could result in torsion (the shifting of the stomach) its best to give her a little rest before giving her some water. I recommend feeding 'working' dogs once a day in the evening when all the exercise is over and this also gives her overnight to digest.
By 12 months she will be fully developed, you will have spent a good deal of time building her up to it and she should be ready to go
Thanks for the advice. This seems like a good action plan/time line, and one that we can follow. Regarding feeding working dogs, when you recommend feeding them once a day, does this mean no meal in the morning to sustain her throughout the day? Won't she become awefully tired?

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 pm

When I say one meal a day I mean from 12 months old when she is 'really' working. If you feed her in the morning then she is digesting this food during the day, which means if you go for a morning or lunch run then she is still digesting/having food in her belly while running. A high protein snack in the morning is fine but I wouldnt recommend a full meal, dogs suffer with bloat/torsion much more than humans and this has to be taken into account. If you feed at night then by morning her stomach will have finnished digesting and will hopefully have 'evacuated' in the morning, a small snack will give her energy for the day but 1hr before working at least.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:06 am

blufawn wrote:When I say one meal a day I mean from 12 months old when she is 'really' working. If you feed her in the morning then she is digesting this food during the day, which means if you go for a morning or lunch run then she is still digesting/having food in her belly while running. A high protein snack in the morning is fine but I wouldnt recommend a full meal, dogs suffer with bloat/torsion much more than humans and this has to be taken into account. If you feed at night then by morning her stomach will have finnished digesting and will hopefully have 'evacuated' in the morning, a small snack will give her energy for the day but 1hr before working at least.
Our 3 have adjusted on there own to exactly what is said above all there eating is done after 5pm
we put out a morning meal of tripe or anything and it is left, not touched all through the day.
By evening they will eat a full meal, completely finish it, we then put a full fresh bowl of tripe (each) out in the kennels with them at night and the bowls are empty in the morning

ive adjusted to there way as I know the food will be eaten and not waisted, its amazing how each dog is different

Dakota; he is just a food disposal unit will eat anything and everything if given chance

Nebraska; even the best of food is an effort for her to eat, she will simply refuse to eat until she decides she is hungry, ive seen her go a day without eating even her favourite dish, then following day gulp down a fresh meal. Ive even in the past taken her to our vet as she wasnt eating but she is fit, healthy and very very fast on her feet, again we have addapted to her way of eating as no matter how much we tempted her with the best of food she would turn her nose up at it

Cody-Wyoming; she is a mix of the other two, she never goes hungry, eats all at night and small snacks of dry food during day.

As for training
I got them all used to wearing a harness by 6 months and they were also pulling empty tin cans. You have to do this to get them fully used to noise behind them and if they get used to it early its a good thing

Dakota is now a work horse and is a strong boy, nebraska is fast and nimble on her feet, cody is 9 months and pulls light loads, she also gets harnessed up with the other two simply to learn to run with them

As soon as they see the harnesses coming out they go mad, jumping high off the ground, howling and barking and really excited, they love it.
Biggest problem used to be rabbits and other dogs but hopefully by the end of this year they will ignore both.

When Looking for a harness many suppliers will not deal with you unless you say the dog is a year old, they could get a sale from you but i think many have the dogs welfare in mind and know the pups are still growing.
In my view if you do get a harness for your pup - 6 months plus, as soon as it is on do not play or mess around with the pup, put the harness on and straight out for a NO nonsense walk, let them know that when in harness its working time, pulling empty tin cans behind is of no harm to them either but really gets them used to sound and noise behind. Trust me, first time you do it, your pup will go beserk and will not like it one bit, but they get used to it very quickly

good luck in what you decide

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:05 pm

*sigh*
I tried adding her on Facebook so I could explain about NOT over-exercising such a young pup, but she just ignored my friend request... :? :shock: I'll be very surprised if her puppy doesn't have hip problems by the time it reaches adulthood.
overexercise.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 pm

14 miles in 2 days only 3 months old?

thats crazy!
>> Nino <<

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

oh my god!!!!
My 10 month old Malamute is still taking it easy at between 2 and 4 miles a day.
I hope for the dogs sake she was over exaggerating A LOT.....

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:50 pm

And RPK "likes" it, which shows how much he cares (or knows for that matter) :evil:
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

:shock: :evil:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah :( :(

14 miles is 22.5 km... quite a distance for an adult Tamaskan, though over 2 days it's certainly not strenuous - but for a THREE MONTH OLD PUPPY (!!!!) it's absolutely ridiculous!! Just because a puppy *CAN* do it, doesn't mean it SHOULD! :evil:

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm

I cannot believe this... :(

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:01 pm

To be honest I dont think this is true. I doubt any puppy at 3 months old could do such a journey...no way! I have a 4 month old here and there is no way on earth she could run that distance or even half of it.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:16 pm

I doubt that's true. Even for a human that distance is quite a bit. Try walking seven miles straight- i guarantee it will make anyone who doesn't regularly hike or run extremely tired.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am

Martin

is this your 2nd pup? do you have another tamaskan dog? if yes, take them a trip down to a beach or a field and let them run and play, 2 or more dogs together is a great way for them to run off energy and will get your puppy toughened up for longer runs.
if you do have more than one dog and you also have a large play run, dont leave the pup with the bigger dogs for any length of time as they will constantly play without stopping for break and this can be as damaging as taking the pup on a "long" walk

a year seems to last for-ever when waiting to train a working dog or one that will accompany you on long haul routes but waiting this length of time will enable the dog to grow good bone (that is) if it is in the genes of the dog. Our Cody-Wyoming is 10 months and we now let her complete all the walks that the other two get and she copes well.
Every dog is different just like we are, and you can’t just work on a calendar time scale, good nutrition, regular feeding, sleep and plenty of supplements will all help in the first year but remember you cannot build a dog into an athlete if the dog does not have it in its genes. Forums like this one are excellent ways of picking up advice and tips, some tips will suit your dog, some wont, pick out the best advice and watch your pup grow. Most of all, love your dog, the more you love it, the more it will want to love you back.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:19 am

Sylvaen wrote:she'd be better off playing at a dog park and socializing with other dogs... that way she can run and stop whenever she gets tired; even that has to be monitored so that she doesn't overdo it. ;)
So you would differentiate between "off-leash" and "running partner". The previous thread about over exercising made me wonder about off-leash excursions. We love to take Fenris & Freyja off leash in a local field / forest / wetland area. Darwin is only 6 months old and despite us needing to work more with him on recall--I was wondering if it was too early for him to run, run, run off leash. (You'd never find me running on pavement with my dogs as a jogging partner. I hate running. :lol: )
RoyAM wrote: dont leave the pup with the bigger dogs for any length of time as they will constantly play without stopping for break and this can be as damaging as taking the pup on a "long" walk
Roy, I realize you may be talking about younger puppies than ours--but we often have to put Darwin away in his crate to give the adult dogs a break! :lol: He just won't stop! Maybe it's due to his past, but maybe just because he's a 6 month old Tamaskan with two playmates!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends