Picky little buggars

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Picky little buggars

Post by Katlin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Wylie has always been awful for being a picky eater. From raw to kibble, if it's the same food type over a couple of days he'll just stop eating. I've done raw - which he loves, but gets bored of and wastes. I've done kibbles from Medical gastro to TOTW to Orijen puppy and Acana. He's such a pain with this! I can mix in peanut butter but he still will NOT eat unless he's famished. This would be ok if I could leave food out all day but I can't with my other dog, a Chocolate lab that has severe allergies. I've stopped trying to force Wylie, he'll eat when he's hungry and he's a perfect weight. He generally eats 1.5 cups once a day of Orijen puppy LB :roll: How does everyone else entice their Tammies to eat?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Picky little buggars

Post by chelle784 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I have the same problem with Pepper. When she was young, up until about 5 months she would gobble up all food put in front of her. Now when we put food down she may eat it, she may eat some or she may leave it completely. Very rarely will she eat all of both meals a day. We used to try adding wet food or other stuff to the kibble which she seemed to like more but then it ended up wasting the kibble if she didn't eat it (whereas if she doesn't eat the plain kibble it can go straight back in the box). We use Orijen large puppy but then she was getting bored like you said Wylie was and now we are on TOTW rotating between the flavours but still the same issues. Also interested to know what other people do!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 pm

You can mix in some olive oil or lard (pig fat) to make the dry kibble more appealing. Coconut oil is also a good (healthy) option... but expensive. Our dogs get bored if they eat only kibble all the time so now they get BARF every day instead; we also add olive / coconut oil to the BARF mixture when the girls are pregnant. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 pm

If Zephyr misses a meal something is wrong and my ANCD is the same way (My ANCD is the most food driven dog I have ever met)... I feed taste of the wild but if we are at the sled dog kennel they get the same raw stuff the sled dogs do. (beef, pork, chicken, kelp, lard, bone meal, ext)

Interested to hear what line/dog has continuing to pass this on... Any Jackal x Nana pups have issue or do they all love food as much as mine?

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:03 am

My two never leave any food unless it's organs, liver in particular. Kona would refuse to eat it raw, pan-seared, hidden inside a chicken carcass.... We tried to "tough-love" her once and only offered the liver...she went on hunger strike for 3 days and we ended up giving in and feeding something else :roll:

Anyway, we came across this http://www.barkworthies.com/barkworthie ... akes-8oz-2

Kona loves bully sticks, and this definitely helped us trick her into eating liver.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Max is worse. He seems to go through stages where he'll eat at least one while meal a day (being 2 cups kibble and one can dry in bowl all day). Other times he won't eat anything for a whole day. Only thing he never turns down are chicken liver, and of course our dinner. If it's meat and it's cooked he's all about. Only problem is I worry about him not getting the proper nutients if he doesn't eat the kibble/wet food.

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am

I feed mixed-raw and kibble. Tana also get bored, if she gets only kibble and stops eating. At the beginning I was worried and gave her something else. Now, I just wait a day or two and then offer kibble again. Sooner or later she is hungry enough to stop protesting. And then she also gets something more tasty beside (meat, meaty bones). Lesson is: If I eat kibble, then uuu I maybe get meat too (if I am extra nice and well behaved) or I don't eat and I am hungry. It is up to her. Dogs know, when we feel sory for them and take advantage of the situation. They are used to work for food from the day they are born. In the nature thus remains whole life... Point is, food is more valued, when you have to do something and earn it.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Kate,

My Kona [Hawthorne James Watson] clearly takes after his father! He's a four legged food vacuum! Granted, as he's growing we are finding a list of "not interested" foods - he pestered me until he could try a banana (one of my favorites) but won't go near one since his first taste. He craved peanut butter at about 4 months, at 11, meh. Detests vegetables unless they're cooked down to mush, but will eat stewed green beans just fine. I'm "conservative" enough not to be comfortable with a lot of raw meat, but cooked favorites include beef, chicken, and lamb. Duck he's not so fond of. Haven't tried rabbit but he's enthusiastic about bison and venison. He's pickier about cheese - will never turn down Swiss, gobbles Mozzarella, but American yellow, not so much.

The foundation of his diet is TOTW though he has a decided preference for High Prairie and Pacific Stream. Depending on his activity level, we'll go through 4-6 cups a day, and despite that, his vet's very happy with his weight. (Disclaimer, he's outdoors and walking/playing probably 4+ hours per day, and in this cold weather, his energy level is off the charts!)
When summer comes, I suspect he'lll drop a bit, based on his early months.

Treats? Jerkies, mostly. Salmon remains his "high value" one, followed by bison and beef (all US made, thank you). Again, will do chicken, but doesn't go for duck at all. Liver in any form. Grain free pomegranate has passed peanut butter as his "vegetarian" favorite.

His other love, food wise, is anything cooked for his half-brother Max by Dottie at Eventide!

The other thing I'll mention is that (for other reasons) my vet recommended Fortiflora - he also tends to be a poop-eater (apparently deer and goose are just yummy) and that's kept his tummy from getting the worst of his "treats"
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com