Kibble (Dry Foods)

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Kibble (Dry Foods)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:43 am

I feed my Tamaskans with Orijen Adult. (Edit: since this was first published, I now feed my dogs BARF)
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 2299&cat=8

I found that this is the best dry food (kibble) on the market as it is entirely grain-free. When Jasper was a pup I was feeding him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy but it gave him TERRIBLE gas and very runny diarrhea... also, he wasn't gaining any weight and looked very thin / scrawny. I think the high grain content (wheat / corn) was to blame. Just because it's an expensive "premium" brand, doesn't mean it's actually good quality - or healthy! While most dogs can handle the "filler" grains, it's not actually good for their digestion. Since switching to Orijen Jasper has gained weight and his coat looks great... and no more diarrhea or stinky farts! Although it does have a high protein level, Jasper is pretty chilled out overall so it's not a problem... I probably wouldn't recommend it for an already-hyperactive dog though, unless it's a working dog that can burn off the extra energy.

Anyway, from now on all my pups will go to their new homes with free sample puppy packs from Orijen (2.5kg) and I recommend that pups are fed Orijen Puppy Large Breed until 12-18 months old or fed on a raw (BARF) diet instead.

Does anyone else have any experiences with this brand of dog food? Otherwise, what other brands do you use / recommend? :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Kibble

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I have not heard of Orijen but I've been feeding Ulric Blue Buffalo - Sweet Potato and Fish Recipe kibble. It doesn't have any soy or corn, and dyes (there's some others that it doesn't have but I can't remember at the moment). It had the lowest amount of protein which I heard is good for a growing pup that won't be too active. The most active things Ulric does is going for a 30 minute walk or play at the dog park. I was planning on switching him to the higher protein kibble Blue Buffalo Wilderness (not sure what flavor yet) when he's 18 months. There's no grains and fillers in it, and it's all natural.

Dallas
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Dallas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Orijen Adult
I've got the same here for Nav. I tried some Royal Canin and Hill's first but he didn't really like them so I switched to Orijen and haven't had a problem since then :)
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:42 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I have not heard of Orijen.
It comes from Canada I believe. I had heard some bad things about it a while back, due to its being irradiated, but I'm not sure if that was for import into certain countries. I guess its sorted out now. Grain free is certainly best.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Yes it is Canadian; produced by Champion PetFoods. There was a serious scare a few years ago in Australia. Due to Australian import laws all petfood imports must first undergo irradiation procedures to kill any bacteria / bugs... the problem is that they overnuked a shipment of cat food... (they used waaaaaaay too much radiation) and many cats died after eating the food so there was a recall. It's not that the food was to blame, just the overcautious import laws! :shock:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

We finally have Orijin available in one of our local stores. I plan on buying a small bag to see if Freyja likes it--but it's $20 more than Taste of the Wild--which is what she and Fenris eat now in addition to the cooking we do for them. (venison, broccoli, sweet potato; eggs; chicken liver (which I will never buy again--neither dog likes it!). Both dogs love apples, lettuce, peanut butter, honey (just a tiny bit), blueberries, raspberries, banana (although it seems Freyja really has to talk herself into eating the banana. She'll take it from my hand, or out of the bowl and put it on the floor for a little while, lick it and then finally eat it. haha! Green beans, peas (ooo, they LOVE peas!), turkey (I think that's Fenris' favorite), chicken and bison. :) mmm...now I'm hungry.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 am

I love Orijen. My dog Loki had digestive problems for the first two years of life. Poor Loki didn't have a solid poop for two years. We tried a lot of different brands and medications. I did a lot of research on the Internet and talked to a few people about Orijen. We have not had problems with diarrhea since we switched.

I swear by it. Both dogs look great and feel great!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:41 am

When we adopted Abby (lab mix), I had her on Nature's Variety Instinct, which was grain-free for about 4 months. After a scare where she broke out in what looked like hives all over her head overnight, I considered switching her to Orijen Adult. Before that though, I took her to the vet and the doc said it was either a bacterial skin infection due to stress (not likely at all), bug bites (indoor dog in a clean house) or a type of mange (also not likely - no contact with other animals). I didn't believe any of that BS and opted not to do any testing on her whatsoever, but I did take some antibiotic pills they prescribed just in case -- never used 'em.

Instead of giving her the medicine, I let her eat NV for a few more days to see if the skin lesions went away. That didn't happen - she just got MORE. It freaked me out so I switched her food, cold turkey style. Over the course of a couple days, the lesions started going away. I'm don't know much about canine nutrition or anything, but I'm very willing to bet my money there was something wrong with her food that caused the skin lesions.

It has been a whole year since then and I haven't had an issue with Orijen. :D If one were to go for kibble, I would recommend Orijen. There's also Arcana, which has a different ratio of protein/veggies/grain than Orijen; Arcana also hosts Champion Pet Food's whole grain kibble too. Arcana is slightly cheaper than Orijen, but I'd say Orijen and Blue Buffalo Wilderness is roughly the same price - Orijen is truly 100% grain-free though. Looking at the ingredient list of BBW will show an instance of "barley" in there; which is a grain. ;)

Sometime in the future, I want to start a rotation diet and get some Orijen 6 Fish and some Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw (plus some ground RMB) for Abby. But first, I need a job and to persuade my family that I'm not crazy. XD (They think spending $35/month on dog food is too much for "a dog". For the record, I pay for Abby's expenses now unless they're over $200.)

(Btw, I heard there was a recall on Nature's Variety raw product line several months back...haven't kept up with the details though.)

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Yes Rann has just started on orijin...so we shall see ...but it certainly attracts him ...he seems to like it.
The MEETING OF MINDS

Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Mylingen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:38 pm

We are contemplating changing Ooki's food from Beta, as he often has runny poo..
And as so many of you are recommending Orijen, this is probably what we will try.
I have read up on it a bit and it seems great.
Ooki is 13 months now, should we start him on Orijen puppy or adult?
Thank you! :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm

It's up to you... but you can keep him on Orijen Puppy for now. I still have Jasper on Orijen Puppy (at 20 months old) but that's primarily because Vixen was getting puppy food while she was pregnant / weaning the litter, for the extra protein, and to make the puppy's transition to solid food easier... now I will transition them onto adult food. :)

By 18 months he should be switching over to the adult variety... most pups switch at around 12 months... but large breeds take longer to mature so it doesn't hurt to continue feeding them puppy food for a few more months.

Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Mylingen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks Debby, that was our thought too.
Might just go straight onto the Adult food I think. :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Yep... that should be fine. :)

It's funny because I still have one pup with me (and he should be going to his new home within the next few days) but whenever I feed him Orijen Puppy, and the adults with Orijen Adult, the puppy ends up eating the adult food and the adults end up going for the puppy food. LOL

It doesn't really do any harm either way though. ;)

Tori
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Kibble (Dry Foods)

Post by Tori » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:28 pm

I've got no qualms with Orijen and recommend it to people I meet as well. It's a solid grain-free food and it's "good" to see that Tamaskan inherited the sensitive digestive system of the husky/malamute :lol:

Personally we're using Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for our two. They tend to exercise each other happily, so they're not full working dogs, thus the protein count is sufficient for us (although still high compared to other foods). When we got Koda he was on Eagle Pack Holistic Select Salmon & Sardine, but we soon realized that grains were not working for him.

We started switching with Innova Evo Large Bites-- great food that I also recommend, but after a few weeks he tanked on it. We think it was too rich for him. That's when we researched a whole bunch of foods including Orijen. My thought process was that the protein count was almost the same as Evo's so we'd try something lower like TOTW which was lower in protein, still grain-free and also happened to be the cheapest.

That was over a year and a half ago and we're still happy with the results :) I'm not enthused that it's a Diamond brand, but so far it hasn't been involved in any recalls AND I just got news that TOTW's is now ethoxyquin-free (as of May 2010). So... we're pretty content and the dogs do well on it. That's the most important thing for us.
~Tori
www.itsahuskything.com
It's a husky thing... you wouldn't understand!

cantide5ga
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Which dry food brands to avoid...

Post by cantide5ga » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Given my status as a soon-to-be owner, I am making a game plan for the new life of my future pup.

Even in the few entries, it seems like I have a lot of options with diet. So, could I get some advice on what brands NOT to feed my dog?

Thanks for the help!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Which dry food brands to avoid...

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, I definitely suggest that you avoid ANY brands that have grains (wheat / corn) as an ingredient, which is about 90% of all dry food brands on the market. Many brands add these cereals to "bulk up" the weight of the kibble (as a "filler" ingredient) because cheap ingredients = more profit. It just isn't natural for dogs to consume but most dogs can handle it OK... however, for some, it causes serious digestion issues; Tamaskan generally fall into the latter category. If the dry food contains rice and potatoes, further down the list of ingredients, that is OK. Meat products should definitely be the main ingredient(s). It's worth noting that, just because a dog food brand is expensive, doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality! Many of the top "premium" brands (Eukanuba / Pro Plan / etc) contain grain as a main ingredient (some even more than the "cheap" brands!)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Well, I definitely suggest that you avoid ANY brands that have grains (wheat / corn) as an ingredient, which is about 90% of all dry food brands on the market. Many brands add these cereals to "bulk up" the weight of the kibble (as a "filler" ingredient) because cheap ingredients = more profit. It just isn't natural for dogs to consume but most dogs can handle it OK... however, for some, it causes serious digestion issues; Tamaskan generally fall into the latter category. If the dry food contains rice and potatoes, further down the list of ingredients, that is OK. Meat products should definitely be the main ingredient(s). It's worth noting that, just because a dog food brand is expensive, doesn't necessarily mean it is good quality! Many of the top "premium" brands (Eukanuba / Pro Plan / etc) contain grain as a main ingredient (some even more than the "cheap" brands!)
Good advice!

The best kibble I know is Orijen, with no grain at all, but it's expensive and I don't know if you can purchase it. I also like Dog Lovers Gold, with rice instead of grain. I give my dog raw bones and meat. It takes some time to understand how you can feed your dog raw, but it is not expensive and my dog likes this a lot more than a bowl with kibble. ;) And I don't know how you call it, but in Holland you can buy packages with meat, raw meat I mean. It's called KVV in Holland and it means Complete Fresh Meat. Like Carnibest. That's also better than kibble, especcially for a dog with a sensitive digestive system. Good luck Cantide5ga!

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 am

Dry foods bulked with grains can be used successfully, I use them but I don't buy the cheap stuff either,
it can cause severe heart burn & indigestion. symptoms of this are stinky breath & self induced vomiting (by eating grass)

if your dog does have a bit of smelly breath and you know it's not caused by dental plaque etc, then chances are
it's heart burn, try reducing the amount dry food, this can also be treated with Ranitidine 150mg tablets take your Tamaskan and enquire with your vet to make sure it's nothing else first then, ask about dosage for a dog the size of your Tamaskan. "If this drug is available legally in your country" if not ask what you can use to give your dog some comfort.
Carefully balancing dry food with good quality meat product food will also assist. also making observations of fat levels in foods is also important, too much fat is a bad thing and can really set off your dogs stomach, causeing the same symptoms and also loose stools.
Allot of people fail to realize a K9 digestive system is a lot different to ours, their designed to process foods quickly.
Though raw meat products can also cause gas and diarrhea this is what your dog would be eating if it where in the wild.
By balancing Vegetable with cooked meat products (NOT CANED), ((SMALL)) amounts of grain based dry food, and a raw cow bone with a bit of flesh left on, I think you'd find your dog no matter the breed to be healthy.
I know I personally watch what I eat as my body cant handle too much oily foods etc. well it takes about the same amount of time to read the back of a pet food product providing the manufacturer labels the ingredients & dietary information in your country.
I use a product pet food meat called VIP, it has about 9 - 11 % fat it's balanced with small amounts of veg to meat
I then use either COP RICE, SupaCoat, Pedigree, Cobba or Bonnie dry food, and mix these about 50/50 with the meat, I also weigh the quantity, my lazy 20 Kg dogs get 250grams and 350grams of food daily, my active 30 kg dogs get 500grams.
just to give you a basic idea
then there are extras like Raw hide chews and dental stix which seem to be gentle on the stomach apposed to raw bones a little more expensive but worth it considering my dogs are inside with me. All in all each individual will be different
some will be more tolerant to different foods than others and some will require less food than others
regular visits to the vet and chucking your dog on the scales and logging body weights is good, you can change food amounts to keep your dog at a certain weight.
observing your dog is the key to a healthy dog, I hope this is help full to someone.
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Tori wrote: I'm not enthused that it's a Diamond brand,
What do you mean?

I like the website dogfoodanalysis.com
I thought it was a real eye opener!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 pm

We feed all our dogs Acana for the kibble part of their diet

GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Purina One??

Post by GjenetCarro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:51 am

I was talking to a few friends and they recomended Purina One. Is this a good brand of food for the Tamaskan?? Many people swear by it, so just wanted your thoughts...
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:13 am

Here's a review of Purina One:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 62&cat=all

Personally, I'd stick with a high-quality kibble that is 100% grain free... or feed raw (BARF) :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 am

When looking for kibble, I made sure to stay away from anything that had any by-products or corn. Always read the ingredients ;)

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Best dry food ever!

Post by jyotin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 am

From day one of having Odin, he was never satisfied with his food. We tried Acana, Wellness, dry/wet mixes, PD, and he would always "starve" himself and eat only when he absolutely had to. His stools were wet and sloppy too. He'd eat snacks and fruits/veggies no problem, but his mealtime food he hated. We finally switched him to Fromm Family Large Breed Puppy Gold and he LOVES it. His stools are consistent and completely formed, the kibble is a godsend. He finishes it in minutes.

It is made with a variety of meats and so has a lot more flavour than acana/orijen. It is also free of common allergens such as wheat, corn.

For those of you who are looking for a different food to try i HIGHLY recommend this brand. It's amazing!

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-g.php

(and no I am not paid to advertise for them :lol: just extremely excited that we dont have to sit around and try and force him to eat anymore =))
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 am

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 am

Its really strange how one pup in a litter can be so different to another once they have left home. I have Odin's sister Hunter who is one hungry little sob :lol: when I got her she would have eaten for England :lol: Her poos were all solid and still are. I am feeding her on Royal Canin Maxi Junior and she has good weight and excellent bone ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:07 pm

wen wrote:oh shit. as I said on the french section, I met a canine nutritionist who was from eukanuba. There product seemed great, rather natural, with much less cereals than other one here (here is my report, as I know you can read french : http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1500).
I was happy to have maybe found a quality food for my improbable futur dog and even mailed them to asked which product would be the best for a tam (by sending them a standard) and they answered Eukanuba adult large.
Maybe the product have changed since ? Cos they seem to be against the product with to much cereales....
Every company promotes their own brand with their own nutritionists, by saying it is the best... however, that does not make it true! I wouldn't feed ANY kibble to Tamaskan Dogs if it contains grain or cereal, or any dog for that matter - it's not a healthy or natural diet for dogs to eat grains. The companies just add it as 'filler material' to bulk up the weight of the bags = more profit for less investment. I only recommend grain-free top quality kibble (like Orijen, etc) or BARF. :)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Every company promotes their own brand with their own nutritionists, by saying it is the best... however, that does not make it true! I wouldn't feed ANY kibble to Tamaskan Dogs if it contains grain or cereal, or any dog for that matter - it's not a healthy or natural diet for dogs to eat grains. The companies just add it as 'filler material' to bulk up the weight of the bags = more profit for less investment. I only recommend grain-free top quality kibble (like Orijen, etc) or BARF. :)
Yes, I'm very happy with the raw feeding of our dogs. Jenny told us that Mila was a bit of a difficult eater, now she's jumping around like crazy if I'm getting her food. :D The difficult thing is what I can take with me as a treat on walks. She is not getting that happy with normal dogtreats or the kibble we have for just in case, without grane etc. :? I have to take meat with me, I only don't like taking that kind of food in my pocket, but I think I don't have a choice. :lol:

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

-

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm

wen wrote:the thing is that this nutritionist wasn't really promoting it's product, but warning about bad ones with too much grains
well, Eukanuba has quite a lot of grains compared to some brands - it's definitely not the worst, but certainly not the best either!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Gaby wrote:[ I have to take meat with me, I only don't like taking that kind of food in my pocket, but I think I don't have a choice. :lol:
You can dry out small pieces of liver in the oven and use them. Or just use little bits of cooked chicken.
- Fiona -

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 am

i agree that any grain content is simply unnatural and unhealthy for dogs to eat. i think i read somewhere that it seriously effects the pH levels in their stomach- like to process the grains that the dog's body isnt made for the stomach has to crank out some seriously strong acid, which is not good for the stomach. eating food with grain fillers ends up with many side effects like bad breath, that stinky "dog" smell, unsolid/frequent stool etc. like debby said, big name dog food brands dont add the grains and stuff cuz theyre what the dog needs, they add them to bulk up the product with fillers. with some brands i heard that your dog actually would need to eat more to get as much nutritional value as it needs. but really these are all things that ive read online, no research ive actually done myself, and anyone can find the same info im sure. :mrgreen:

oh- and often times big brands will get recommended by vets because they are receiving something from those brands, like a bribe.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 am

Misaya wrote:
Gaby wrote:[ I have to take meat with me, I only don't like taking that kind of food in my pocket, but I think I don't have a choice. :lol:
You can dry out small pieces of liver in the oven and use them. Or just use little bits of cooked chicken.
Thank you! How do you do the liver in the oven? How long and which temperature?

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am

I havent done it for ages. I just cut it up and stuck it in the oven, I cant remember what temperature. However, I have had a look on the RMB forum I go on and found the following (although they boil it first, which I didnt).

Boil the liver for half an hour, let it cool, cut it into tiny treat-size
pieces, spread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 100 degrees C for one
and a half to two hours. Keeps in the fridge for up to a fortnight and
indefinitely in the freezer. Dry enough to put in your pocket. Haven't yet
come across a dog that doesn't love them. You could try adapting this for the
microwave, but I think it's the drying action of an oven that's called for
rather than cooking.

Hope this helps :) You might also be able to buy dehydrated liver treats at the pet store I think.
- Fiona -

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 pm

-

Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Mylingen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 pm

We only feed our dogs kibble that are free from grains too.
We have fed them Orijen, but recently changed to Taste of the Wild, which is fantastic.
Ookami loves this food. He would eat Orijen, but now he's really excited at dinner time which is nice. :)
We will probably try Acana at some point too.

This site is really great folks, I recommend you having a look if you feed your dogs kibble:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

NWHeather
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NWHeather » Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm

I don't have a Tamaskan yet, I am still in the research/waiting period.
I have teo GSD's who are also prone to sensitive digestive issues, & for a while, I was feedign them Darwin's raw food & I was so impressed with it!
I could not afford the $360 a month for two dogs, so I now supplement their diet with raw & their main food is Fromm Surf & Turf, it's grain free & they are doing very well on it.

I won't feed Orijen, because of the who Australia situation. Back when it occured, there was information that there was a pallet of food that had been irradiated that made it's way to the US. There were cases of cats in the NW that had exact same symptoms, & they had been fed Orijen. (I know this because one of my friends is one of the cases.) There were two cats at her vets office with the same symptoms, that had also been fed Orijen.
My friends cat recently passed away. She had battled the seizures since this began, but she was a perfectly healthy cat before.
Champion Foods denied that there was any possibility that this could happen, but there were too many coincidences, for me to take that chance.
I am sure the problem is now resolved, but I will not feed any food made outside of the US, & more specifically, Orijen, because of what happened.
I had a ton of information, including saved documents from someone in Australia, that contacted me & gave me info on the situation. They're the ones that initially told me that there was an unacounted for pallet of food, that is believed to have made it's way to the US. I lost it when my laptop crashed, but at that point, I had already made the decision to never feed any food from that company to my pets.

Ideally, I agree that raw is the best for them, & I definitely agree that anything with grains is not good for carnivores.

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Finch was eating Royal Canin when he was rehomed with me and had TERRIBLE gas - I mean he could empty a room - hell - he could empty a house! So when I went to the pet store to find a different food I thought I would let him lead the way - he stopped right at the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food and we haven't looked back since! No more nose-destroying gas and he eats it with much more enthusiasm than he ever showed for the Royal Canin.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 am

Mylingen wrote:We only feed our dogs kibble that are free from grains too.
We have fed them Orijen, but recently changed to Taste of the Wild, which is fantastic.
Ookami loves this food. He would eat Orijen, but now he's really excited at dinner time which is nice. :)
We will probably try Acana at some point too.

This site is really great folks, I recommend you having a look if you feed your dogs kibble:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
I love that website!

Paka enjoys Taste of the Wild! She gets that for her morning meal and at lunch. (According to dogfoodanalysis.com, TotW Sierra mountian formula has the right amt of calcium protein and prosperous for growing puppies. We use the Pacific salmon formula as "treats" for variety.)

Paka's evening meal is Blue Buffalo wilderness canned. My dearest husband is phobic of raw :roll: but he thinks a good canned food is a special treat. I'm hoping to win him over to a comercial raw like Darwin's after a while.

(Don't tell him, but on Sunday afternoons, while he's at work, I give Paka some fresh, raw organic chicken breast or some "Laura's" organic grass-fed beef. ;) our secret.)
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:44 am

AngieH wrote:Paka's evening meal is Blue Buffalo wilderness canned. My dearest husband is phobic of raw :roll: but he thinks a good canned food is a special treat. I'm hoping to win him over to a comercial raw like Darwin's after a while.

(Don't tell him, but on Sunday afternoons, while he's at work, I give Paka some fresh, raw organic chicken breast or some "Laura's" organic grass-fed beef. ;) our secret.)
This made me laugh since my fiance will happily feed Kumho chicken quarters and giblets without batting an eye but when it comes to the whole fish, he makes me do it and leaves the room. :lol:

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am

AngieH wrote: Paka enjoys Taste of the Wild! She gets that for her morning meal and at lunch. (According to dogfoodanalysis.com, TotW Sierra mountian formula has the right amt of calcium protein and prosperous for growing puppies. We use the Pacific salmon formula as "treats" for variety.)
I've heard only good things about ToTW, so I'm giving it a go. Have ordered a couple of smaller bags of different types to see which he prefers. Will eventually be on a full BARF diet, but will be a bit of both for the time being.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:55 pm

I used to think it's better to keep dogs on kibbles when I didn't know about how much heathier raw meat can be for many dogs. Snoopy for one disturbed me with his habit on those wild small passing animals in the past and I hated seeing those instant when he... :? you get the picture!

Overall, I think keeping a balance between raw meat and commercial dog food is important for the dog as long as you don't mix certain dog kibbles with the raw meat. I made that mistake on my Buddy once by feeding him some of his usual commercial dog food while he had already eaten a raw chicken wing earlier and he ended up having diarrhea. While the kibbles are full of grain and so many other stuff, the real meat has more protein and aquatic food like fish is an omega-3 fatty acid bonus. At least, that's my personal opinion.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:02 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:While the kibbles are full of grain and so many other stuff, the real meat has more protein and aquatic food like fish is an omega-3 fatty acid bonus. At least, that's my personal opinion.
I thought the majority of good quality kibbles where grain free? From what I've researched, brands such as Orijen and ToTW use fresh meat and fish and their method of processing keeps the majority of protein and essential nutrients in the process they also advertise as Grain Free.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 am

I watched one of those 'How It's Made' programmes where they showed how kibble is made. Basically just small biscuits with a spray of gravy on them. I really hope there are better ones than that out there.
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 am

Sion wrote:I watched one of those 'How It's Made' programmes where they showed how kibble is made. Basically just small biscuits with a spray of gravy on them. I really hope there are better ones than that out there.
Kibble is a generic name which people use to refer to dry foods. There are however many many varieties of dry foods and I'm sure there are a lot of "kibble" out there that are made in the way you describe the program shows. However it would be unfair to suggest all dry foods are just gravy covered biscuit. As an example:- Here are the ingredients from a basic, poor kibble:-

"Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, chicken by-product meal, wheat middlings, animal fat [preserved with BHA and citric acid], natural flavor, brewers rice, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, color added [red #40, yellow #5, blue #2], zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, manganous oxide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex [source of vitamin K activity], riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate"

The concern with these ingredients are , Corn (not very digestable), Meat (exactly what meat is this? rat?), Bone Meal, Anything that says by-product (normally just the ground up remains of carcasses)

and from a better kibble

"Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid."

Here you can see they actually quote the types of protein and there are a lot of good bacterial additives to help keep the gut healthy.

Both are Kibble, but are so far apart in terms of quality.

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am

Roasted Quail! They eat better than I do.
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

Sion wrote:Roasted Quail! They eat better than I do.
Me too....I'm on pot noodles and beans and toast for the next month after shelling out for my new Tam :-). But its worth it :-)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:24 pm

nivenj wrote:
fangjingtuanlucas wrote:While the kibbles are full of grain and so many other stuff, the real meat has more protein and aquatic food like fish is an omega-3 fatty acid bonus. At least, that's my personal opinion.
I thought the majority of good quality kibbles where grain free? From what I've researched, brands such as Orijen and ToTW use fresh meat and fish and their method of processing keeps the majority of protein and essential nutrients in the process they also advertise as Grain Free.
Well depending on the ones you purchase. I had mine purchased from a Koreatown store and it was imported.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 am

nivenj wrote:
AngieH wrote: Paka enjoys Taste of the Wild! She gets that for her morning meal and at lunch. (According to dogfoodanalysis.com, TotW Sierra mountian formula has the right amt of calcium protein and prosperous for growing puppies. We use the Pacific salmon formula as "treats" for variety.)
I've heard only good things about ToTW, so I'm giving it a go. Have ordered a couple of smaller bags of different types to see which he prefers. Will eventually be on a full BARF diet, but will be a bit of both for the time being.
My Zephyr is also on ToTW and loves it... They have four different flavors too so I rotate between all four of them. It is also one of the higher rated foods on www.dogfoodanalysis.com :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 am

I just started Ulric on ToTW, so far he is liking it :)