Sea food!

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Sea food!

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey guys, I was just curious to know how many of you guys here on the forum like to feed seafood such as fresh sashimi-graded tuna fish to your dogs? I've done it before and found that all the dogs I fed raw fish to enjoyed it better than the kibbles and so on. I've also fed (steamed) scallop and raw octopus tentacles to my Buddy in the past.

Aside from that, I'd like to know what sort of aquatic food would you guys, the owners, recommend to a Tamaskan dog. :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Sea food!

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm

well I haven't fed sea food.. but I have fed fresh raw and fresh frozen Trout several times (not sea but lake/stream fish)..

I think almost no matter what Raw meat you feed a dog they will like it better than the kibble in general at least, with the few odd balls
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Prawns... Sam and the cats LOVE prawns... The only thing that will get them all to sit together nicely. But prawns contain a lot of cholesterol so they are limited to how much they can have...

I thing dogs will prefer any meat to kibble...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Maya likes fresh trout. But not the raw liver and roe. She leaves those bits for me to clean up... Thankfully I bought a wipe clean tablecloth for her to eat on!

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Kumho gets a raw fish once a week, usually a mackerel. He loves them now that he's figured out how to eat them.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:12 am

I have fed Zephyr fresh fish once, caught it out of Lake Superior. Fish contains mercury (more mercury the bigger the fish). Mercury is toxic and the taste is not worth the risk in my opinion (never liked the taste of fish). Then again I am a huge supporter of Sea Shepherd and I think we are destroying our oceans so I won't eat fish whether there was mercury in them or not.

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:20 am

Certain types of fish have more mercury in them. I looked at this before I fed Maya trout. We don't eat much fish in our house (personal preference) and Maya's fish are caught by our neighbour.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:17 pm

You people have too much money, I wished -I- could eat prawns :lol:

Just kidding, I know we just want the best for our animals :)
Monobi gets dried herrings as treats, he loves them! They sound very crunchy and they smell really... fishy lol.