Picky eater

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Picky eater

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:54 am

I need some advise. Mona lisa seems to be a picky eater when it comes to kibble. When she was a baby I had her on fish for puppies then switched her to orijen. she slowly would stop eating that so I switched her to blue wilderness puppy where she ate that fine for a few months then slowly started nipping on that and barely eating. So I switched again to TOTW and was alternating between 4 flavors as it seems she gets bored with taste easily. But again after a few months shes starting to nibble again and barely eats. She went from 58lbs to 56lbs and I'm getting concernd. the only food she seems to LOVE is BARF which I'll sometimes feed her in the morning or afternoon, the only problem with that is it costs me $112 every two weeks to keep that in supply and with me being tight with money thats sometimes hard. Some advise would be very helpful on what I could do to get mona to eat more and not be so skinny. Thanks!

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Picky eater

Post by Ryphen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 am

Seems expensive for a raw diet. Are you feeding the prepackaged stuff? We feed ours raw and it only costs about $100 a month. Granted it's mostly chicken because it's cheap but he doesn't seem to mind at all.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 am

Have you tried adding canned food? There's also kibble toppers that you can mash up and sprinkle on top of kibble...Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw treats and dinners work well for this.

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend mixing raw food and kibble. ;) If there are any treats that she absolutely loves, you could try that too. But if it's one that you use for emergency recalls or very special treats, then I wouldn't add those in as that'll decrease the value of the treats. lol.

I don't know how much Evanger's canned food costs, but it's practically canned food that looks like it's fit for human consumption! :shock: If you need variety with canned food, I'd recommend the Merrick brand as they have a SLEW of selection.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 am

Ryphen: This is the website I use for the Barf I buy, is there another company that you buy yours from?
http://www.barfworld.com/index.shtml

arianwenarie: I did try adding some canned food with her kibble and and would mix it up but she's managed a way to eat and lick the wet food away and leave the kibble sometimes :? (clever girl) :roll: I'll have to look into the Merrick brand :P

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:14 am

TParham86 wrote:Ryphen: This is the website I use for the Barf I buy, is there another company that you buy yours from?
http://www.barfworld.com/index.shtml

arianwenarie: I did try adding some canned food with her kibble and and would mix it up but she's managed a way to eat and lick the wet food away and leave the kibble sometimes :? (clever girl) :roll:
Oh, OK. You have one of those kinda dogs... lol. Then I can't imagine changing the canned food will make a difference. Haha. Could you join a raw feeding co-op near you (or in your city) to put together your own RMB diet for Mona? Oftentimes, they are able to buy in bulk from wholesalers and so it costs very little...the only possible downside to it is that it's not a prepared raw diet, so you can't say for certain you're feeding all the nutrients necessary.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:30 am

Ryphen wrote:Seems expensive for a raw diet. Are you feeding the prepackaged stuff? We feed ours raw and it only costs about $100 a month. Granted it's mostly chicken because it's cheap but he doesn't seem to mind at all.

Barf is also very expensive in Australia. It's between 20 and 30$ for 12 individual servings.

Have you tried leaving tough love treatment? Leave the food there til she eats it?
Image Image

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 am

After doing a bunch of research on the internet, we ended up making our own using as close to the "whole prey" model as we could get. We buy quartered chickens from the butcher and since they're already gutted, we buy the giblets separately and add them back in to cover organ meats. Turkey necks get added for some variety and a fish gets thrown in once a week for the oils. Seems to work great. Always gets eaten and I've never seen any digestive problems except when he gets into things he's not supposed to have. If I had a kibble to recommend I would!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:46 am

Kylievr wrote:Have you tried leaving tough love treatment? Leave the food there til she eats it?
I think the 'tough love' treatment is more so to pick up the food once she turns her nose up to it. If you leave food down, then a dog is likely to just wait and eat whenever they want (free feed).

However, because Mona is losing weight, I wouldn't recommend picking up the food if she doesn't eat...only because it's pretty much been proven that she will starve herself if she doesn't want the food. :?

I believe the solution may be to switch her diet...whether that be kibble or raw. If you can get a "homemade" raw diet for most of the week, maybe you can supplement with pre-packaged for the remainder of the week? :?:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:15 am

arianwenarie wrote:
Kylievr wrote:Have you tried leaving tough love treatment? Leave the food there til she eats it?
I think the 'tough love' treatment is more so to pick up the food once she turns her nose up to it. If you leave food down, then a dog is likely to just wait and eat whenever they want (free feed).

However, because Mona is losing weight, I wouldn't recommend picking up the food if she doesn't eat...only because it's pretty much been proven that she will starve herself if she doesn't want the food. :?

I believe the solution may be to switch her diet...whether that be kibble or raw. If you can get a "homemade" raw diet for most of the week, maybe you can supplement with pre-packaged for the remainder of the week? :?:

Yeh you can do it that way too. Tyson used to leave his food during the day for whenever he wanted it, but If he didn't eat his breakfast I just wouldn't give him any dinner, and if he didn't eat his dinner he wouldn't get any breakfast. He eats his food as soon as I give it to him now.
Image Image

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 am

Kylievr wrote:Yeh you can do it that way too. Tyson used to leave his food during the day for whenever he wanted it, but If he didn't eat his breakfast I just wouldn't give him any dinner, and if he didn't eat his dinner he wouldn't get any breakfast. He eats his food as soon as I give it to him now.
lol. Never thought to do it that way.... it always seemed to make more sense to pick up the food and feed them that same meal at the next feeding; that way, the dog understood that if he/she doesn't eat when I say so, then they lose that meal rather than them getting the chance to go back and eat if/when they want. :P People have told me to add more food (double up) if they don't eat.. O_O Overkill, imo, as a dog's stomach can only hold so much food.... XD

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 am

Oh I might have to try that then! I've tried taking the food away as soon as she turned her nose up and would not give her any till the next feeding but I would pour the kibble back into her main bucket and get a fresh cup when it was feeding time again, maybe I should try putting the same bowl back down instead of pouring a new one and adding nummy treats and stuff to tempt her :?: It's worth a shot, it's possible because I kept adding stuff to her kibble that now she expects it and when it's not there she doesn't eat as much :?:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:44 am

Lol she's learnt that if she doesn't eat her food she gets something better :p
Smart dog.
Image Image

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 am

lexi is mona's sister and she is 27.4kg and mona is 25.4kg. i spoke with a breeder near me last week and i asked if lexi's weight was ok as she looks quite thin to me and she said she was fine and it is normal for young dogs (anything up to 2years old) to be on the thin side and not to worry. however we feed lexi purina beta active kibble with webox rolls ( tripe based with different flavours added) to try and build her up a little. we never leave her food down as i was told many years ago that this helps create a fussy eater, we put her food down and if she doesn't eat it we take it away till the next feed time and this has worked for us over the years i never add more to the feed removed as i think that can then seem to much for her to eat. if she does eat and look like she wants more i will give an extra cupful. also when lexi had her season and then a phantom pregnancy she lost nearly 4kg and the vet didn't seem to worried and eventually she started eating properly (she looked very thin as if we didn't feed her which we did :) . a lot of the people i used to advise when i worked in a pet store used to add some sort of canned fish sardine or mackeral to their dogs food and mash it in with the kibble which seemed to work and its quite cheap (uk) and you don't need that much of it as it's mainly the smell that gets them going. also try adding a little hot water (cool it down before you give it her) to release the natural gravey and it makes it more appealing. good luck and let us know how you get on. woo woo fome her sister lexi x

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 pm

When Jasper was young (9 months old) he also went off his food (Orijen)... to tempt him, I would mix in lard but, after a while (by 11 months old) even that became 'boring' for him. I then swapped to BARF and haven't looked back since - it isn't cheap but it is worth the extra cost (IMHO) just to have a healthy, well-fed dog; it will ultimately save you much more in vet bills (skinny dogs with weakened immune systems get sick very easily with all kinds of problems) so, for me, it was worth 'splashing out' a bit extra to ensure that my dogs would all eat properly.

Plus, if you invest in a large secondhand freezer, you can buy BARF in bulk (which can be quite a lot cheaper overall, depending on what the company can offer you) - also, if you are a registered breeder you can sometimes get an additional discount. I currently go through 2KG of BARF per day (for 4 dogs - including 2 youngsters) - soon I'll probably have to increase the amount to 3KG per day (when the pups are both 6-9 months old) and then drop back down to 2KG once they are all adults... I judge it by 'eye' - if they are starting to get a bit thin, I increase their daily ration... Vixen is getting a bit plump, so she gets a bit less overall.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Elska will be 3 in October, although she has never been a particularly fussy eater, I have struggled with keeping weight on her. I had try just increasing her food but that just resulted in upsetting her tummy.

I have overheard many hurtful comments about how thin she is in the past. I now feed her on Arden Grange Premium which seems to suit her, she also gets sardines twice a week. Whilst she is still on the slim side she is not skinny anymore, the vet has given us a target weight of 30kg, she was weighed at the vets yesterday and she has put on nearly a kg and now weighs 28 kg.
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I believe that a lot of Tamaskans are picky eaters - unfortunately.
I have myself had to listen to people saying that Sølve does not get enough to eat and it is not right and yada yada..
But I know myself that I ALWAYS have fed quality food (and I really took the time every time I would change to a new brand getting it without all the crap in it etc.) and she is fed ALL that she want's to eat.. if she empties the bowl she will get more, that is simply how it works in my house. Some days however she will eat less than other days but she will always go back to eating a bit at certain times (ex. after we come home from the evening walk/run she will eat the most at once)
We also feed her extra to make sure she doesn't loose weight - so she will get cheese, meat (both cooked and raw) and sometimes leftovers (we eat before the evening walk so she might get a bit of leftover after and then go for a walk to go home and eat her kibble)

I do wish to Barf her in time, but for now I am studying (at least for a few more months) and I cannot afford it, when I get my own, I hope to be able to keep some extra animals myself (rabbits, chickens and maybe goats/sheep) that I can give the dogs (I plan on getting at least one more when I'm done with my studies) so that I know that it is quality they get..

The vet said Sølve was in good condition - around 27 kg - (great heart etc.) but that she would like to put on a bit more weight so that IF she should get sick she would not just be on the limp after short time but had a bit to work with ..
>> Nino <<

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm

I think the average person on the street isn't a good barometer for letting you know your dog is too skinny. Most people are used to seeing overweight dogs. Obesity is as rampant in the pet population as it is in the human population. At least in the States anyway. All of our friends tell us Kumho looks skinny but he's at a good body condition score for his age.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:32 pm

I wish Sam could go full raw but that upsets his tummy :(

It sounds like he eats like Sølve (copy/paste = fab :D I can't do ø's :lol: ), some days he will empty his bowl and some days he will not... He does like to throw kibble around the room and play with it tho (i was amazed to see him throw a piece up and catch it)... he will continuously pick a bit up, throw it, nudge it around with his nose, paw at it... then eat it :roll: (exercise while eating? Not good! But will he listen? Nooooo).

I got a visit from an RSCA inspector a few weeks back... Someone reported him for been "too skinny" (because ribs are slightly visible :roll: ) so we went through what he eats in a typical day and checked him over for any signs of him been unwell to cause weight loss (this was after i explained he has always looked like this)... She suggested getting his stomach x-rayed if he goes off his food in case he has ingested some foreign object (but i would suspect he was bored of his food and wanted a change) etc and left...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Kylievr wrote:Lol she's learnt that if she doesn't eat her food she gets something better :p
Smart dog.

lol yup she's a very smart dog

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I too get a lot of people telling me that they think Mona is skinny :? random people at the dog park ask me if i feed her enough because her ribs are slightly visible and then tries to suggest a feeding schedule for her :?: But thank you all for your suggestions :D I'm going to try a little bit of everything and see what works for her so I can hopefully get some good weight back on her. Eventually I would like to get her permanently just on Barf since that seems to be her favorite but I won't be able to do that until I get back into a house on where I can order a huge bulk at one time and place it all in a separate freezer. I'll let you know the update in a few weeks :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Feeding schedules doesn't work for Sølve (neither did it for Kovo btw. who is a very skinny boy after living a long life in a home where he wasn't treated right)

If she doesn't get the food, then she will just not eat.. she will control it herself..
shows her ribs too at times (specially if she has had a few days where she doesn't eat much) I find putting oil on her kibble helps mostly, she likes oil (just normal oil.. for cooking.. gives a great coat too :lol: ) she eats all over the place, but won't pick up what gets out of the bowl.. stupid dog..
she will play with other food, like potatoes, grapes (she gets once in a while) tomatoes etc.

Oh yeah, I have also had one come by looking at her - I was reported to the police for abusing her - obviously he went on his way after meeting a happy go lucky pup that licked his hands and jumped all around him, while being able to see her clean crate (which was open) the two bags of Royal Canin Puppy Large Breed (which she got at that time because Orijen for some reason always make her fart like a pig and her poo smell crazy weird).
Every person I've told later on I was reported for animal abuse (the crazy neighbour who also made Sølve scared of strangers for a while and who attacked me till I at last moved away) dropped their jaw.. it is unheard of that I would in any way abuse any animal.. I would most likely eat crappy while my animals would live like kings and queens..

It's just the Tamaskan I suspect, we got some thin dogs, and some picky lines that were bred from, I would hope to get some less picky eaters in the future into the breed :)
>> Nino <<

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Nino,

just as a friendly reminder: Grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. :shock: Perhaps change to blueberries or cranberries? XD

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm

arianwenarie wrote:Nino,

just as a friendly reminder: Grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. :shock: Perhaps change to blueberries or cranberries? XD
I know, but so are a lot of things I doubt one every once in a while (seedless) will hurt.. she will peel it and only eat the inside weird dog :lol:
>> Nino <<

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:41 pm

have always given mine grapes and like nino says one every now and then wont hurt. sounds like we have all got issues with our dogs being thin. if we could find the gene for thiness i for one would use it lol

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 pm

juice wrote:have always given mine grapes and like nino says one every now and then wont hurt. sounds like we have all got issues with our dogs being thin. if we could find the gene for thiness i for one would use it lol

Mona likes to eat baby tomatoes...silly girl...she plucks them right off the tomato bushes and seems to be able to tell the difference between the green ones and the red ones. But I agree it would be nice if later down the line we can hopefully work out the thinness and also get some less picky eaters :P

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

I think it also depends on the bloodline - Zora is like a goat: she'll eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! And she is certainly not tall and lanky (like Jasper)... I think she'll be a really big girl when she is full grown, and a larger dog than Jasper overall (probably around the same height, but I expect she'll be much heavier).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Sylvaen wrote:I think it also depends on the bloodline - Zora is like a goat: she'll eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! And she is certainly not tall and lanky (like Jasper)... I think she'll be a really big girl when she is full grown, and a larger dog than Jasper overall (probably around the same height, but I expect she'll be much heavier).
I hope so, the bigger the wolfier :D

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 pm

I saw a video somewhere of someone putting the kibble into a zip bag with a little bit of water and some cheese (alternatively really smelly meat or rumen works too) and zip the bag up and leave it in the fridge over night. The kibble turns soft(er) and catches on the flavour of the cheese.

Try this? It might help!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:17 am

Maybe try this stuff http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/supplements.html
It's aroma spray avail in different flavours. You spray it on dry food and it makes it smell like steak, lobster, lamb whatever flavour you get.
Image Image

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Hahaha. Raven learned how to pick raspberries when we visited my in-laws house last week. They have a long row of raspberry bushes. She would ring the bell to go outside, and all she wanted were a few raspberries. So funny!

We also have a hard time getting our dogs to eat sometimes. Darwin was great until about a month ago. Now he's touch and go too. Raven seems to prefer the adult food over her puppy food. Same brand name and everything. Silly puppy.

We give them an egg over their kibble sometimes, or venison, or low sodium beef or chicken broth. They're totally spoiled.

But I read somewhere that huskies have the ability to slow their metabolism. Wonder if the Tam can too. Wish I could speed mine up! :P
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Hawthorne wrote: Darwin was great until about a month ago. Now he's touch and go too. Raven seems to prefer
Zephyr was good up until we got back from the Tamaskan gathering... Now he is also touch and go. Appears to me that he has lost a little weight, so good thing I have a vet appointment next week. On top of that he has decided he doesn't want go out back to go potty but that he must go on a walk for him to do his business :roll: (I think he misses all his Tam pals).

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote: Darwin was great until about a month ago. Now he's touch and go too. Raven seems to prefer
Zephyr was good up until we got back from the Tamaskan gathering... Now he is also touch and go. Appears to me that he has lost a little weight, so good thing I have a vet appointment next week. On top of that he has decided he doesn't want go out back to go potty but that he must go on a walk for him to do his business :roll: (I think he misses all his Tam pals).
Aww, poor Zephyr, Max seems a bit weird since we got back also. He is also a "picky" eater. Same thing with TOTW and now he's on Orijen and I add a wet food to his kibble - just enough to coat, and mostly he eats it.

We went to the vet today to get his 6 Month Heartworm vaccine (had to be 6 months old for this vaccine). After weighing him she suggested we not do the vaccine since he has gained so much weight in the past month :o Basically, she's concerned that if he continues to gain at the rate he's been gaining, heartworm vaccine may not provide the needed protection for the whole 6 months. She assured me it's all muscle as he still has a defined waist and his ribs are still close to the surface. She said he is doing awesome and just keep dong whatever it is I'm doing.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

Not sure where this goes so i choose here :D

Well, as i said somewhere, sam went off kibble and lost weight... So we went with RAW... He's been doing good on that, put weight on and was loving it... But now he has gone back to picking past few weeks and has visible ribs again (wish i could shed weight that fast :oops: )...

But he is wanting to go stand outside for no apparent reason a lot (annoys the hell out my bf, sam will only ask him to take him out for some odd reason.)...

Could he's periods of weight loss and non interest in food have something to do with any possible females in heat near by? I live about 5 doors down from the river bank where 100's of dogs walk daily as well as we go there daily... He always salivates while sniffing smells which hasn't happened more than normal but he is making throaty/grunty/wheezy noises while sniffing.

I think i know the answer, i just wanted opinions to be sure...

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 am

I would say that they can go off their food if there is a bitch in heat they are picking up on.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I believe picky eating can be reduced if a dog suddenly realized because you changed the rules that food is something that must be earned and not given to them so easily. This is for healthy dogs that is, not those with illness. I've never attempted this though since all of the dogs I looked after would eat anything.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 pm

TerriHolt wrote:Not sure where this goes so i choose hear :D

Well, as i said somewhere, sam went off kibble and lost weight... So we went with RAW... He's been doing good on that, put weight on and was loving it... But now he has gone back to picking past few weeks and has visible ribs again (wish i could shed weight that fast :oops: )...

But he is wanting to go stand outside for no apparent reason a lot (annoys the hell out my bf, sam will only ask him to take him out for some odd reason.)...

Could he's periods of weight loss and non interest in food have something to do with any possible females in heat near by? I live about 5 doors down from the river bank where 100's of dogs walk daily as well as we go there daily... He always salivates while sniffing smells which hasn't happened more than normal but he is making throaty/grunty/wheezy noises while sniffing.

I think i know the answer, i just wanted opinions to be sure...

Geez Terri, Max does the exact same thing. I've even tried raw and he won't eat anything that's not cooked (even steak with a bone!!). I've tried so many different grain-free kibbles along with grain-free wet dog food (even made my own wet food for him and mixed with kibble). Like you said about Sam, Max eats it for a couple weeks, then isn't interested anymore.

Also, so many times he wants to go out but won't stay out unless one of us stays out with him, and so many times, he just goes into the back yard and sits there. Now, this can happen at 2-3-4 in the morning and is really frustrating :?

We do have a female Pit Bull living next door that is 3 years old and not spayed (why, I don't know), and Max and her love to run our fenceline together. I know the last time she was in heat was about 4 months ago, so I don't think that's it. There are other dogs in the neighborhood but I don't know if any are intact females or not.

Would a female in heat actually make them stop eating long enough to lose weight?? :shock:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Males stress over not being able to get to a female in heat. Darwin loses a lot of weight when one of our girls goes in. We've decided that from now on, Darwin will take a vacation during Raven's next heat. It just seems cruel to me to expose them to those pheromones and not let them "get any." He cries, and cries, and howls, and doesn't eat. It's really heart wrenching to watch--and we don't get any sleep during that week when they're in "standing heat".
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Tracy, I didn't know that. . . not sure if there are any females in the area in heat, but Max doesn't whine, howl, or growl unless he's playing with my husband and grandson :roll: ( and I don't think they give off the pheromones that would cause it anyway ;) ).

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am

Alright I know I'm being a hypocrite :lol: but I think this is discussion is getting a tiny bit off topic. ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 am

Hawthorne wrote:Males stress over not being able to get to a female in heat. Darwin loses a lot of weight when one of our girls goes in. We've decided that from now on, Darwin will take a vacation during Raven's next heat. It just seems cruel to me to expose them to those pheromones and not let them "get any." He cries, and cries, and howls, and doesn't eat. It's really heart wrenching to watch--and we don't get any sleep during that week when they're in "standing heat".
Ohh, thank you. I figured that's what it was but the quickness of the weight-loss worried me a bit (from looking good to ribby in about 2 and half/3 weeks). Good to hear (well, it's not obviously but it stopped the worry for me) Darwin loses a lot of weight too.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

lexi does this with her food to. we have now had the idea that she regulates her own needs and will only eat what she wants. she does loose weight when she is in season to the point of looking very ribby. we have done different tests with food and she doesnt prefere one above the rest so she is now fed on wainrights moist tray food and tesco chunks in jelly and beta active kibble. her daily food is
wainrights tray with handful of beta kibble in the morning
tin of tesco chunks in jelly with large cup of beta kibble in the evening
she doesnt always have a meal of each type. the point being is that if she has the wainrights she wont eat much kibble as i think it is more filling, but when she has the chunks she will eat lots of kibble. i wish i knew what went on in her brain lol. she is currently weighing in at 28kilos and is looking ok but personally i would like to see her at around 30 kilo which the vet agrees with. also with lexi we have found that if she doesnt eat it we take it away till the next feed time, sometimes she will go a couple of days without eating but we dont worry any more (used to try everything to get her to eat). she never liked the raw diet so for now we will keep going with what she is eating.
dylan on the other hand will eat absolutely anything he is such a greedy little pig lol, but is so very cheeky with it. he is weighing in around the 25kilo and is 10 and a half months old. i dont think he will be as big as lexi because she stopped height growing at the same age.
i wish you all luck with feeding your tamaskan.