Are they big eaters?

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Are they big eaters?

Post by EskyTheHusky » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Although she is very large (for a husky ;) ) Esky survives on very little food.
150-200 grams of dry food, varied depending on activity levels.
I know huskies have a very efficient metabolism and compared to mst dogs use all their energy very efficiently.!
My boyfriend first thought I was starving her giving her so little food, but any more than this and she gets porky quickly

Seeing as Tamaskan dogs have a proud arctic breed heritage do they share this same trait? :?:
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Are they big eaters?

Post by dash » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:54 pm

From my own experience, they eat about the same as a husky and can be just as picky!!
All my team eat the same amount and Dash didn't really start eating properly until she started working in harness. Until then she'd pick at her food and sometimes skip meals if she didnt do too much.
My guys eat kibble (a brand which is very high in protein and fat, as they are working dogs) and broths when out in winter.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:12 am

My tamaskan will eat anything and always wants to eat but it may be a puppy thing he is only 14 weeks old.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Vixen gets 400g of BARF each day.
Jasper gets 600g of BARF each day.
Since winter is coming and they'll be working in harness, I'll probably start increasing these amounts.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Sølve's not a big eater.. If I want her to eat the whole meal right away I will ad something (like oil) to make her eat it and stand next to her and encourage her to eat my mom call her a social eater, most days she will eat everything she gets, but it can take a whole day.. which is kinda strange to me since she with other dogs gets very food protective..
She is a very slim dog, actually Matsi that is 5 montsh old is broarder over the back than she is lol.. might be a little to the slim side, but she gets what she wants of quality food and have lots of energy.. better be a little to slim than a little to fad if you ask me..

Sølve gets around 300-312g of Marcus Mühle (trying a new one out which she seems to like better) - the recommended amount is 1,2% of the dogs bodyweight and thats around the 25-26 kg Sølve is..

Oh yeah.. in the subject of food..
Sølve "hides" her food :lol: she will try to put something over the bowl or push the bowl to a "safe" place - and even stand trying to push non existing stuff from the floor onto the bowl .. like - if she was outside on ground she would be pushing dirt on it, but as it is inside she just slides her nose on the floor ... sometimes even so hard that it will make that squeaky sound (like sneakers in a gym) :lol: :lol:

She does it with other food stuff too.. bread, carrots etc.

Is she just strange or have any of you experianced that?
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Konah gets 600/800 gram a day (depends on if she gets kibble or raw). She loves to eat but doesn't put on any more weight so far :?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Oh yeah.. with RC Puppy Large Breed Sølve got 500g a day..
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Nino wrote:Sølve's not a big eater.. If I want her to eat the whole meal right away I will ad something (like oil) to make her eat it and stand next to her and encourage her to eat my mom call her a social eater, most days she will eat everything she gets, but it can take a whole day.. which is kinda strange to me since she with other dogs gets very food protective..
She is a very slim dog, actually Matsi that is 5 montsh old is broarder over the back than she is lol.. might be a little to the slim side, but she gets what she wants of quality food and have lots of energy.. better be a little to slim than a little to fad if you ask me..

Sølve gets around 300-312g of Marcus Mühle (trying a new one out which she seems to like better) - the recommended amount is 1,2% of the dogs bodyweight and thats around the 25-26 kg Sølve is..

Oh yeah.. in the subject of food..
Sølve "hides" her food :lol: she will try to put something over the bowl or push the bowl to a "safe" place - and even stand trying to push non existing stuff from the floor onto the bowl .. like - if she was outside on ground she would be pushing dirt on it, but as it is inside she just slides her nose on the floor ... sometimes even so hard that it will make that squeaky sound (like sneakers in a gym) :lol: :lol:

She does it with other food stuff too.. bread, carrots etc.

Is she just strange or have any of you experianced that?
Nova does that too :) not over the bowl but with carrots etc .. another funny thing she does is sometimes when she gets raw meat is that she puts the meat on the floor and "roll" in the meat... (just like she does outside when she finds places with smells from other animals etc)