Chicken !

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Chicken !

Post by susann » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I have seen in some pics that the dogs get frozen chickenwings.. ?
Isn't it lots of dangerous bones in it?

In sweden we say not to give a dog anything that begins with an F :

Fisk = Fish
Får = sheep/lamb
Fågel = Bird (chicken)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Chicken !

Post by Nino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:58 pm

susann wrote:I have seen in some pics that the dogs get frozen chickenwings.. ?
Isn't it lots of dangerous bones in it?

In sweden we say not to give a dog anything that begins with an F :

Fisk = Fish
Får = sheep/lamb
Fågel = Bird (chicken)
You can give almost anything as long as it hasn't been cooked, when cooked it will shatter easy ans that's when you have to worry
>> Nino <<

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Why can't you feed things with an F?

The bones in chicken are very bendable, as long as they aren't cooked or baked! If they have been heated, they splinter and you must never ever give them to your dog. But if it's raw, it's a whole other story. Then the bones remain soft and you can bend them easily with your hand. You can try it if you buy some chicken wings. There are no splinters if your dog eats raw bones and the dog can digest them. So you can give them, but always raw!
There must be a topic somewhere where there is more explanation about raw feeding and also about which bones you can and can't feed. I am feeding my dogs raw, but it takes a bit more time and care to fix a proper meal with everything in it your dogs need. But they are much healthier and look better then on kibble, and they enjoy it a whole lot more. ;)

This is a quote from Blustag in another topic, these bones are to hard for dogs:
Blustag wrote:Just a word of advice. Cow bones in other words marrow bones/weight bearing bones are not a good idea as they are so toughf that they can actually wear down the dog's teeth. I used to give them all the time until Ifound this out so now just stick to the smaller bones such as ribs that dogs can chew up and swallow. I have some dogs with hardly any canines left and another with a cracked tooth ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Frozen chicken-wings and frozen fish are fine... the dogs crunch up the bones into small pieces, especially when they are frozen solid. It's only the chicken body you have to watch out for because the larger bones tend to splinter into fragments that can cause internal damage (or chocking). I'd avoid some fish, the ones with lots of small bones, but herring and hake are totally fine (especially when frozen) - the dogs love it and it's a very healthy treat for them.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Gaby wrote:Why can't you feed things with an F?
Just a saying, in sweedish (and danish) Fish, sheep and bird starts with an F ;)
>> Nino <<

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Nino wrote:
Just a saying, in sweedish (and danish) Fish, sheep and bird starts with an F ;)
Yes, I understood that, but I mean what's the reason? ;) Why can you feed goat or cow, but no sheep, fish and birds?

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank you for the answers :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Gaby wrote:
Nino wrote:
Yes, I understood that, but I mean what's the reason? ;) Why can you feed goat or cow, but no sheep, fish and birds?
No Idea why its fish and sheep (or fish i can imagine its the small bones) but..
yeah..

most people just say chicken (bird) in DK soo
>> Nino <<

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 am

Sylvaen wrote:Frozen chicken-wings and frozen fish are fine... the dogs crunch up the bones into small pieces, especially when they are frozen solid. It's only the chicken body you have to watch out for because the larger bones tend to splinter into fragments that can cause internal damage (or chocking).
Sorry Debby, I have to disagree on this one. All parts of a chicken are fine. I would say the bones in the body of the chicken, although larger, are probably softer than legs and wings. For some reason, chicken wings seem to be the most popular thing to feed when people are embarking on the raw feeding journey. Actually, quite a number of experienced raw feeders would not recommend wings especially for large breed dogs, due to the fact that dogs dont chew as we do and may just gulp them down, with the potential for choking. We do occasionally feed them, but are more likely to feed drumsticks. We also feed quarter or half chickens. However, regarding raw feeding in general, I think the choking aspect is grossly over-exaggerated. Of course they can choke, as they can do on kibble, sticks, etc. Same goes for us, we can choke on things too, but if you worried about it that much you just wouldnt eat at all :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Misaya wrote:Sorry Debby, I have to disagree on this one. All parts of a chicken are fine. I would say the bones in the body of the chicken, although larger, are probably softer than legs and wings. For some reason, chicken wings seem to be the most popular thing to feed when people are embarking on the raw feeding journey.
Good to know. I guess it's because I have raw / frozen chicken wings but whenever we have a whole chicken, it is cooked, and I know that cooked bones are not ok so they only get some of the cooked meat scraps. I guess a raw bird would be fine, after all, they'd happily eat them in the wild. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I have to admit im not a big fan of feeding chicken wings or small pieces of chicken that they can and do just swallow whole, I much prefer to give my dogs turkey legs, that way they have to spend some time chewing it, no way they could fit a whole one of them in their mouth :D
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 pm

For the dogs who are gulping things down, you can also teach them to eat their food calmly. You can keep it in your hands and let them chew off small pieces. I've never heard about a dog who choked in raw meat and it is increasing in popularity. I have heard about dogs choking in chewing toys and kibble though.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Its not so much the choking that worries me but the big bones travelling through the intestines.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Well, although they dont really chew they still seem to have a good crunch when they are eating the bone, so they're probably not that big. Also their digestion is much quicker than ours, so I guess they travel through pretty fast. I suppose if it was really an issue then wolves would be dropping like flies :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Alright, just to update here,
for chickens, the bones are fine if they're raw. BUT if you already cooked it, remove the bones and give ONLY the meat to the dog. You can also remove the bones altogether from the start if you're still paranoid. It's usually the meat that's tasty anyways :D