Feeding Raw AND Kibble?

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Feeding Raw AND Kibble?

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm

When I get my Tamaskan I will (depending on if she likes it) be feeding 1/2 raw with bones (at the grocery store we have "soup bones" that are cut cow bones) and Acana / Orijen. I feed my chat ;) Mikayo Acana Pacifica. He got pancreatitis off the original food (Nurtience) and then again off my vet food (hills ugh!) so I switched him and his hair looks fantastique without dander and shedding. He is much more active thanks to the protiene and loves to tear out of the room full speed, very funny.
Here for a "howling" good time :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Feeding Raw AND Kibble?

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:00 pm

CaliforniaWolf wrote:When I get my Tamaskan I will (depending on if she likes it) be feeding 1/2 raw with bones (at the grocery store we have "soup bones" that are cut cow bones) and Acana / Orijen.
You should never mix raw food with kibble during the SAME meal! This is because dogs have a short digestive tract that processes raw meat / bones very quickly. That's why feeding raw meat is totally safe for them, whereas it can sometimes make humans sick (we have much longer digestive tracts, relatively speaking). When dogs eat kibble, they digest it much slower (more fibre) so it is very risky to feed raw food / bones at the same time because it stays in the gut much longer (instead of being quickly digested) and this can make them very sick (the meat can start to rot, etc). It's fine to feed raw in the morning and kibble at night but not both at the same time.
Several people have recently asked why it is best not to feed a mixer with raw or a complete as a 2nd meal. Briefly, it goes back to the difference in pH the they create, a carnivores digestive physiology is suited to an acidic environment, not the more neutral environment that is created by dry food. A dogs digestion should begin in the stomach.

It is Pepsin which is responsible for starting the digestion of protein in the stomach. Pepsin is pH dependant and does not become activated until the pH drops below 4. Complete dry diets alter the stomachs environment which directly affects the action of Pepsin.

As the environment of the stomach becomes more neutral pepsin becomes denatured and its ability to digest raw food is reduced.

A dry diet shifts the start of digestion to the small intestine rather than the stomach this places a burden on the pancreas to work harder in producing enzymes. This is why so many dogs fed dry diets end up being fed supplementary enzymes.

Dry diets introduce insoluable fibre into the dogs system. The fibre binds bile which prevents reabsorption of the bile.

When bile is lost from the system the liver must work harder to increase its rate of production in order to maintain a pool of bile. Under normal phisilogical conditions 95% of the bile would be recycled.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 203AA5Jh7b
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Feeding Raw AND Kibble?

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
CaliforniaWolf wrote:When I get my Tamaskan I will (depending on if she likes it) be feeding 1/2 raw with bones (at the grocery store we have "soup bones" that are cut cow bones) and Acana / Orijen.
You should never mix raw food with kibble during the SAME meal!
...ok thanks for the heads up, I already read that on a previous post ;) I meant more like twice a week raw and the rest kibble.... separated evenly of course.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Feeding Raw AND Kibble?

Post by Blustag » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Just a word of advice. Cow bones in other words marrow bones/weight bearing bones are not a good idea as they are so toughf that they can actually wear down the dog's teeth. I used to give them all the time until Ifound this out so now just stick to the smaller bones such as ribs that dogs can chew up and swallow. I have some dogs with hardly any canines left and another with a cracked tooth ;)

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 am

Blustag wrote:Just a word of advice. Cow bones in other words marrow bones/weight bearing bones are not a good idea as they are so toughf that they can actually wear down the dog's teeth. I used to give them all the time until Ifound this out so now just stick to the smaller bones such as ribs that dogs can chew up and swallow. I have some dogs with hardly any canines left and another with a cracked tooth ;)
Thanks! The bones would be snacks, just to keep her busy, but I thought Marrow was good for them. :)

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

CaliforniaWolf wrote:Thanks! The bones would be snacks, just to keep her busy, but I thought Marrow was good for them. :)
There's marrow in all bones. Blustag is totally correct in that the big weight bearing bones can crack and break their teeth. Rib bones are good and can still keep them busy for quite a while :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

The marrow is good, it is the hard bones that arn't.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Sylvaen wrote: You should never mix raw food with kibble during the SAME meal! This is because dogs have a short digestive tract that processes raw meat / bones very quickly. That's why feeding raw meat is totally safe for them, whereas it can sometimes make humans sick (we have much longer digestive tracts, relatively speaking). When dogs eat kibble, they digest it much slower (more fibre) so it is very risky to feed raw food / bones at the same time because it stays in the gut much longer (instead of being quickly digested) and this can make them very sick (the meat can start to rot, etc). It's fine to feed raw in the morning and kibble at night but not both at the same time.
Has anyone's dog had bad experiences while on a mixed meal diet? In theory, what you're saying makes sense Sylvaen, however, my dad's husky/lab mix has been fed raw mixed with rice and cooked veggies plus sardine oil for seven years now with no problems whatsoever. I'm curious if anyone has actually witnessed their dog get sick from mixing?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

martinbernstein wrote:
Sylvaen wrote: You should never mix raw food with kibble during the SAME meal! This is because dogs have a short digestive tract that processes raw meat / bones very quickly. That's why feeding raw meat is totally safe for them, whereas it can sometimes make humans sick (we have much longer digestive tracts, relatively speaking). When dogs eat kibble, they digest it much slower (more fibre) so it is very risky to feed raw food / bones at the same time because it stays in the gut much longer (instead of being quickly digested) and this can make them very sick (the meat can start to rot, etc). It's fine to feed raw in the morning and kibble at night but not both at the same time.
Has anyone's dog had bad experiences while on a mixed meal diet? In theory, what you're saying makes sense Sylvaen, however, my dad's husky/lab mix has been fed raw mixed with rice and cooked veggies plus sardine oil for seven years now with no problems whatsoever. I'm curious if anyone has actually witnessed their dog get sick from mixing?
With Kibble? - I think that was the dont mix part :)
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:27 pm

martinbernstein wrote:my dad's husky/lab mix has been fed raw mixed with rice and cooked veggies plus sardine oil for seven years now with no problems whatsoever.
That's a fine combination, and won't cause any digestion issues. :)
Nino wrote:With Kibble? - I think that was the dont mix part :)
Exactly. It's only if you mix "rice and cooked veggies plus sardine oil" WITH kibble, that problems can arise as kibble (as with all processed foods) is digested much slower than the other raw / relatively-unprocessed ingredients.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

OK, thanks.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 am

So would biscuits in the morning and raw at night be ok?
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:51 pm

i would think so... sam is on dry food for breakfast and evening and gets chicken (or something similar) for dinner...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:01 pm

TerriHolt wrote:i would think so... sam is on dry food for breakfast and evening and gets chicken (or something similar) for dinner...
Is "dinner" lunch? Over here dinner is your evening meal.
Image Image

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:i would think so... sam is on dry food for breakfast and evening and gets chicken (or something similar) for dinner...
Is "dinner" lunch? Over here dinner is your evening meal.
Some people have dinner in the afternoon, I know this is common in some places in the Netherlands aswell. Most people in the city will have dinner in the evening but in the countryside (mostly farmers) they will have dinner in the afternoon.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Is "dinner" lunch? Over here dinner is your evening meal.
:lol: sorry, i didn't think of that :oops: he has dry at 7am, raw between 12pm and 1pm (depending on how long walkies takes, we get stopped a lot) and dry at 6pm after walkies.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Haha thanks. I saw you were from the uk so I figured that's what you meant, just wanted to double check
Image Image