Feeding Costs

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Feeding Costs

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

I feed my dog totally raw so I only use kibble as a treat when I train him, but I believe that Acana/Orijen is the best kibble there is. But it's a lot cheaper for me to feed him raw then to give him Orijen. It's so expensive!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Feeding Costs

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Gaby wrote:But it's a lot cheaper for me to feed him raw then to give him Orijen. It's so expensive!
Here in Croatia, BARF is more expensive than Orijen. :?
To feed them kibble for a month costs 500kn (70 euros / $100) whereas to feed raw (prepackaged) for a month costs 840kn (110 euros / $150)... but the dogs definitely prefer BARF and it is better for them so I don't mind paying a bit extra - wish it was cheaper though!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Feeding Costs

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Gaby wrote:But it's a lot cheaper for me to feed him raw then to give him Orijen. It's so expensive!
Here in Croatia, BARF is more expensive than Orijen. :?
To feed them kibble for a month costs 500kn (70 euros / $100) whereas to feed raw (prepackaged) for a month costs 840kn (110 euros / $150)... but the dogs definitely prefer BARF and it is better for them so I don't mind paying a bit extra - wish it was cheaper though!
Wow, that's expensive! Kibble will cost about €40,- a month. We pay about €50,- to feed him raw for two months. But he doesn't eat a lot, like 500 grams a day, he weighs 30 kilo's. Pre-packaged raw meat is more expensive then the things I buy. I buy big chunks of meat, bones and organs and put them in the freezer. Many things people won't eat and I can give that to my dog. Like tripe (do you know what I mean? The smelly organs from a cow that make good dog treats ;)) or chicken carcas. I can order it on internet.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 am

Gaby wrote:Wow, that's expensive! Kibble will cost about €40,- a month.
Yeah :(
Here a 13.5kg bag of Orijen kibble costs just over 500kn (70 euros / $100) - which feeds the 2 dogs for 1 month.
Gaby wrote:We pay about €50,- to feed him raw for two months. But he doesn't eat a lot, like 500 grams a day, he weighs 30 kilo's.
That's a great price! :D
Together the 2 dogs get 1kg of raw food each day: Vixen gets 400g and Jasper gets 600g. Each 500g prepackaged bag costs around €1.70 so that's around €3.40 each day (2x 500g = 1kg)... I calculated that I currently spend around €1200-1400 per year feeding my 2 dogs. Of course, it's better now that they are both adults... when Jasper was a growing pup (5-10 months old) he ate about 4x the amount he currently eats! :shock:
Gaby wrote:Pre-packaged raw meat is more expensive then the things I buy. I buy big chunks of meat, bones and organs and put them in the freezer. Many things people won't eat and I can give that to my dog. Like tripe (do you know what I mean? The smelly organs from a cow that make good dog treats ;)) or chicken carcas. I can order it on internet.
Cool. Yeah that makes good sense and in the past I used to buy cheap meat from the butcher to make my own cooked recipes but the whole process was so time consuming that it just wasn't worth it: going to the butcher, buying the meat, carrying it home, mixing it up, bagging and freezing the individual packs, etc. Plus I only could make around 10kg at a time (enough for 10 days)... much easier to just order the BARF already prepared and frozen then have it delivered straight to my house every 2 weeks. Unfortunately it's much more expensive. *sigh*
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 am

WOW! I cannot believe how expensive Acana/Orijen is outside of Canada. I just purchased a 2.5 kg bag of Acana for $17! And I believe the largest bag is approximately $48. Who knew how high the markup is on imported products.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

Orijen Puppy Large Dog 13,5 kg - bought in England and sendt home $79,52 USD / €56,99
Orijen Puppy Large Dog 13,5 kg - bouht in Denmark $117,89 / €84,48

I feed Royal Canin - this is what Blustag wanted and she works well on it (eating less atm. though I guess it's because of her teeth changing) - it's actually a little less expensive than Orijen so thats good.

Royal Canin maxi Junior 2x15 kg - bought online in England $125,35 / €76.98
Royal Canin maxi Junior 2x15 kg - bought in Denmark $202,09 / €144,83

It's CRAZY expensive in DK !!

I'm looking into RAW but I don't have a freezer to put meat in
I'd like to do it some day
>> Nino <<

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Sylvaen wrote: Cool. Yeah that makes good sense and in the past I used to buy cheap meat from the butcher to make my own cooked recipes but the whole process was so time consuming that it just wasn't worth it: going to the butcher, buying the meat, carrying it home, mixing it up, bagging and freezing the individual packs, etc. Plus I only could make around 10kg at a time (enough for 10 days)... much easier to just order the BARF already prepared and frozen then have it delivered straight to my house every 2 weeks. Unfortunately it's much more expensive. *sigh*
Some slaughter houses will sell like whole goat or sheep, in pieces. Maybe you can make a deal with a slaughter house or something like that. You have to want it off course, it is messier than a bowl of kibble. ;) I have a freezer in the garage especially for the dog and with the second dog on the way, there is coming another freezer. They are not big, but enough to store around 22 kilos of meat.

Before my dog ate Royal Canin, I believe it was €65,- for a bag of 15 kilos. He was growing then, so he was eating about a bag in 1,5 month. But he had a lots of times thin defecation and he farted a lot. :? Also he needed much water. Now with the raw diet he is doing very good. His coat is shiny, his teeth are clean and his defecation pattern is good. And he loves to eat it, better then kibble.

@ Nino, that's expensive indeed! It's so strange that you can order it in England and send it over and that it is cheaper to buy it in a store. :shock:

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

I now feed my terrier 80% raw and 20% kibble (10% of kibble he steals from my cat..lol).
I buy frozen chicken giblets (only €0,49) in the supermarket, also frozen drumsticks, wings, eggs (from a farmer next door) sometimes a whole frozen chicken which I cut in peaces and put in the freezer.
also carrots to "fill" him, because he is always hungry since he was neutered... :roll: and if there is rice or noodles left from our meals.
frozen veggies or tinned veggies too.
well, he is a small dog so needs less food, only 200g per day:)
i.e. one chicken drumstick per day is enough ;)
for my experience feeding raw is cheaper (20-30€ a month)if you buy "human" food. In the petshop frozen flesh is so much more expensive...;(

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Antaris79 wrote:I now feed my terrier 80% raw and 20% kibble (10% of kibble he steals from my cat..lol).
I buy frozen chicken giblets (only €0,49) in the supermarket, also frozen drumsticks, wings, eggs (from a farmer next door) sometimes a whole frozen chicken which I cut in peaces and put in the freezer.
also carrots to "fill" him, because he is always hungry since he was neutered... :roll: and if there is rice or noodles left from our meals.
frozen veggies or tinned veggies too.
well, he is a small dog so needs less food, only 200g per day:)
i.e. one chicken drumstick per day is enough ;)
for my experience feeding raw is cheaper (20-30€ a month)if you buy "human" food. In the petshop frozen flesh is so much more expensive...;(
You give your dog only chicken as raw meat? No other kind of meat?
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

My dogs get KVV (frozen, pressed raw meat). It costs €0,50 for a package that contains 400gram. Konah eats 2 packages a day so 800gram, my other 2 dogs eat around 300/400 gram a day. They get their food divided in two meals, one in the morning and one in the evening.

So for all three dogs that would be around €50/€60 a month. I also always have a bag of Royal Canin kibble in the house for practical reasons. If there is no KVV left or we are not a home I can give them the kibble. The KVV is frozen so I can't really bring it with me, lol.

I would like to give them completely raw but I must move house first and buy a big freezer ;)

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 pm

We have 2 small freezers and 1 large freezer, only for the dogs. We have only 2 drawers for our own food under our fridge :oops: :mrgreen:

I guess we spend quite a lot on dog food every month. Don't wanna know how much :lol:
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm

mostly chicken (including hearts, stomache and liver).
turkey and beef too (once or twice a week).

tryed also rabbit but he didnt like it so it went into the trash:(
also turkey liver went into trash...;(

so chicken makes 80% of the weekly meat.

do I something wrong? :?

btw: does anybody of you feed raw fish or shellfish? (without the shell...lol?

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Antaris79 wrote:mostly chicken (including hearts, stomache and liver).
turkey and beef too (once or twice a week).

tryed also rabbit but he didnt like it so it went into the trash:(
also turkey liver went into trash...;(

so chicken makes 80% of the weekly meat.

do I something wrong? :?

btw: does anybody of you feed raw fish or shellfish? (without the shell...lol?
you can't give always the same kind of meat. You have to offer variation ;) We feed also raw fish
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:51 pm

I noticed when over in Texas that the price of dog food is way cheaper than UK. I think it would be about 2/3rds cheaper. I was told Texas was the cheapest state but wont argue with that. Nevertheless the price is way better and also the choice of meat. Im jealous as cant get such a choice here in UK. ;)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:20 pm

At the moment I feed Riker Wainwrights trays of meat 81p each and one a day. Has worked out cheaper than his old complete biscuit meal and apparently better for him, CED's do better on a meat based diet so im told.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!