Weight Loss

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Weight Loss

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am

Wave weighed approx 95lbs & he is now down 88lbs. Is this normal weight loss? Its been a HOT summer but I am still ?????? My other 2 dogs have not had any weight loss from the heat...but they are also not Tamaskans. Is it normal for Tamaskans to drop weight during the heat like this?

His eating habits have changed...he is not as food driven as he was when he was younger.

Is there anything I should be looking out for? I just had some blood work on him & his liver, renal, sugar functions were with in normal limits. Soooo any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Misaya » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:12 pm

I find that the amount Ayasca eats is in direct proportion to the amount of exercise he has had, so perhaps you are not exercising him so much because of the heat and he therefore is less hungry? Although I suppose logically if he is exercising less he will burn less calories so shouldnt actually lose much weight.

Ayasca goes on and off his food all the time. I have never met a dog like him, as he doesnt seem to care whether he eats or not (unlike his sister) and what he does eat doesnt seem much for a big dog. He did used to eat much more when he was younger, so maybe its a growing up thing.

If you have done all those tests and nothing is showing up and he doesnt seem ill, then I guess all you can do is monitor him and see if his weight stabilises.

Sorry, probably not much help.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:28 pm

I appreciate ANY input! ;) Perhaps it is the norm for this breed? He is def different than any other dog I have ever owned too!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Ulric recently started eating a little less lately, I have not yet had him weighed but he doesn't look like he has gained or lost any. I was also wondering if this was just a growing up thing for Tamaskans.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I wouldnt worry too much if he is healthy in all other ways. My dogs when they are moulting tend to lose weight and go off condition. Also when the girls are in season they go off their food and lose condition. It isnt unusual so unless he loses even more weight then dont worry.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Ive had 14 years of worrying when one of the dogs wont eat and as lynn says, they will eat when hungry. they 3 we have just now all have different eating habbits and Nebraska simply will not eat, every day is a constant hassle trying to get her to eat, our vet says she is healthy and we have found she will eat and night when put out to her kennel and run when it is time to go to bed. The only trouble we have is ensuring dakota will not eat all 3 dogs meals as he will and does, any chance he gets.
Nebraska is more a gentle dare i say timid dog and feeding is difficult at this moment. I sometimes worry she may have a "large hairball" in her tummy although if this was the case she would bring it up with sickness, the vet has also informed this is not the case.

They do eat when hungry but its so difficult not to be concerned.

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:36 pm

I have narrowed Waves eating habits down to if he doesn't get as much excercise then he doesn't want as much food. I also feed him 2x a day instead of once........same amount of food just divide it in half.