Do Tamaskans really live to be 15+ years old?

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
andrewmg
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Do Tamaskans really live to be 15+ years old?

Post by andrewmg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:21 pm

I've been looking into getting one of these dogs for years now. It just seems like every website I check that claims to breed them ends up being a scam. On each of these scam websites, they all claim that these dogs will live past 15 years old. That is something I have never heard of across any medium-large dog breed. I had a Greyhound that lived to be 12, but that's all I can say.

So, Tamaskan experts, do these dogs really live long?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Do Tamaskans really live to be 15+ years old?

Post by Katlin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:24 pm

I've had two labradors live to 14, I've seen shepherds make it to 15-16, I've seen mals and eskies make it to 15. It's not unheard of but it's not the standard. I have no idea if Tams can live that long because the oldest generation right now is 10ish I believe. The oldest one, Kyte, just died at I believe 14 - he was euthanized.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

andrewmg
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by andrewmg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks! Now, I am still in college, so I'll have to be waiting a few years for the breed to grow before I can actually get one. On another post, someone mentioned that the Tamaskan population is only in the hundreds in America. To me, that also means it is really tough to get a dog for yourself. In 3-4 years, are there plans to exponentially grow the Tamaskan breed so more people can have them? Or are things going to stay small?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Fair enough, I waited almost 5 years to get my pup and passed up several litters to wait for the perfect circumstances, it's better to wait :)

Yes it's quite small, I'm in Canada, so we don't have the puppy mill here but there is one in particular in the USA called Right Puppy Kennel (now operating under Blustag USA). Blustag and Blufawn in the UK are also ones to avoid as they are breeding only for money and colors, not for health and temperament.

Personally I think things will stay small for quite some time. We have limited bloodlines which we are trying to outcross with various suitable matches with. Hawthorne Tamaskan has found a lovely rare husky called Arrow, and Sylvaen has also found a fantastic outcross (again, a suitable husky). Because the breeders are breeding for health, temperament, as well as look (although as a last desire) there are very few outcrosses that will work with Tamaskan breeders.

Canada currently has 28 Tamaskans, but only three that can breed in my entire province, and the rest of the country has quite related bloodlines. Other breeders in my situation would probably line breed and say to hell with it, but I plan to import from overseas within the next two years and I may not even be able to use my boy because he's a cryptorchid.

That's what's great about TDR breeders (although I'm not in that group just yet!) is that they really go above and beyond what "normal" breeders are doing. That's why Tamaskans are so rare but that's also why they are worth the wait. Unfortunately there will probably be less puppies than potential owners for some time because this is a breed in progress, but again - worth the wait :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

andrewmg
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by andrewmg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:25 am

Yeah I hope it's worth the wait. Regarding puppy mills, it's frustrating seeing every single Tamaskan breeder on the internet as fake or immoral.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 am

:roll: :lol: yep! Definitely agree with you there.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am

andrewmg wrote:Yeah I hope it's worth the wait. Regarding puppy mills, it's frustrating seeing every single Tamaskan breeder on the internet as fake or immoral.
Not every single one... ;)
Here is a list of reputable registered breeders in the US:
http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/breeding/br ... merica.php
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.